Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Lite and Future Revisions  (Read 97430 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch Lite and Future Revisions
« on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:03 AM »
I predict the Revision will come out on July 19, 2019 - July 21, 2019 if early

or more likely October 12 - 13, 2019

It hasn't been announced. Only rumored. However, we're due for a revision

Gameboy Generation

Gameboy-------- April 21, 1989 Friday
Gameboy PIL --- March 20, 1995 Monday
Gameboy Pocket  July 21, 1996 Sunday

2282/3 = 760

Second Half 90s Generation

Virtual Boy --- July 21, 1995 Friday
Gameboy light - April 4, 1998 Saturday
Gameboy Color - October 21, 1998 Wednesday

2070/3 = 690

GBA Generation

GBA ----------- March 21, 2001 Wednesday
GBA SP -------- February 14, 2003 Friday
GBA Micro ----- September 13, 2005 Tuesday

1341/3 = 447

DS Generation

DS ------------ November 21, 2004 Sunday
DS lite-------- March 2, 2006 Thursday
DSi ----------- November 1, 2008 Saturday
DSiXL --------- June 9, 2010 Wednesday

2288/3 = 762

3ds Generation

3ds ----------- February 26, 2011 Saturday
3dsxl---------- July 28, 2012 Saturday
2ds ----------- October 12, 2013 Saturday
1323/3 = 441

Mini New  generation
New 3ds ------- October 11, 2014 Saturday 
New 2ds xl ---- July 13, 2017 Thursday
874/2 = 437

Switch Generation

Nintendo Switch March 3, 2017 Friday   

Average = 589.5

I hear rumors of both an upgraded and a mini switch. It could be both. Either the upgraded switch will be mini, it will simply be smaller, or they'll split the system into 3 SKUs: Original, Cheap Mini, and $300 Upgrade.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:31:09 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Revision
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:41 AM »
Nikkei posted a rumor regarding a smaller Switch to be released in the 2019 fiscal year (April 2019 to March 2020).

There’s less incentive for Nintendo to release a Pro/New Switch. The regular model is still selling well and all indications point toward it continuing to do so. As stated in other threads, Nintendo wants a Switch per person rather than per household. Lowering the price of admission is a start. Nintendo can either slash MSRP or release a model that’s cheap enough to make it viable for parents to buy multiple units for their kids.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
I'm okay with a form-factor revision - smaller design, better battery life, more internal storage, whatever.  I don't like the idea at all of any upgrade to the hardware.  I didn't like it with the New 3DS, I don't like it with the PS4 Pro or XB1X.  That's not how consoles are supposed to work.  You're supposed to buy one system and every game for that platform works the same on it.  If I want hardware tweaks I'll go with PC gaming which gives me a lot more freedom for customizing that stuff the way I want and only involves upgrading the machine, not outright buying a new one.  I wasn't thrilled with ideas like the N64 Expansion Pak or Wii Motion Plus but at least you could take a launch day system and upgrade it to the new specifications.  Can't do that with a 3DS.

Of course the market doesn't consist entirely of people that think like me.  Obviously these half-step updates must sell okay because that's become the norm.  Morale of the story - never buy a system at launch.  Wait until the inevitable enhanced version comes out.  I don't have a Switch yet so this wouldn't really affect me but it would affect my brother who has one.

Though as Adrock points out, Nintendo's goal should be to sell a Switch to each person.  They should especially want this for when Pokémon hits.  They'll need a cheaper model to pull that off, possibly one that's only a handheld.  Maybe it doesn't even have detachable joycons, like how the 2DS compromised some of the features of the 3DS to get a budget model.  Of course Nintendo had the cheap 2DS and the high end New 3DS co-exist which is why the New 3DS didn't get many exclusives.  So maybe that will be the same here in which case I wouldn't feel so much like I'd be missing out if I had a base model - but then those who went high end won't feel there purchase was worth it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
As far as upgrades to the hardware. How big a leap is it really? You can play Doom on Switch but you can't play it 1080p. I wouldn't imagine upgrading the chip from x1 to x2 is as big of a leap from Gameboy to Gameboy Color, or GBA and GBA SP.

It was speculated 2 years ago that Nintendo might have gone with x2 at the time, but the chip was too new and probably too expensive at the time, and there was maybe some production logistics difficulties, but 2 years have passed. Putting a newer chip in the system might be something nVidia wants. It might not even be cost prohibitive. That is probably the biggest factor. I also don't think that "hard generations" will continue to exist. One of the best thing Nintendo can do is maximize backwards and forward compatibility. If they have minor upgrades to the Switch line every 2 years then they can maintain the Switch line for years and years.

How often do iphones come out? The first iphone came out in 2007. There has been a new iphone to come out every 1.3 years. In the long run how can anyone compete with that? The only thing Nintendo offers over cellphones/tablets is superior games and controls and a decent price. I can't see that being a totally permanent thing though. Upgrading asap might be the only right strategic move. You hear youtube channels praising the switch now and lauding it for it's amazing sales, but I can imagine 2 years from now the same people talking about how terrible it always was and how it was a flop. Nintendo like many other tech companies has to deal with the Silicon Valley mentality of the industry. Even if that mentality is batshit stupid.

Though, one wonders about the reset of Metroid Prime 4. Maybe it was a game being designed for 2 compatibilities and then dropped. Maybe there really was a Switch+ that was quietly cancelled behind the scenes.

As I said earlier, we are due for a revision, but they may solely make a cheaper system. Nintendo is in this weird position where any sign of bad news causes their stock to plummet. "Oh so we sold 17 million this year instead of 20 million" **** like that freaks out investors when it shouldn't. If we don't hear about a revision I can imagine hearing about a big price drop soon. We also might hear about a price drop in the next month. If there is a revision they might hold off the announcement to an e3 timed Nintendo direct. Though, we might not even hear about anything like that even at e3. Nintendo has been lowing the leading time between announcement and release. Especially for revisions. 30-40 days at the most is their current operating procedure.

As for me. I've been holding off buying a Switch until the revision hits. I bought a GBA and when GBA SP came out I was sort of burned. Same with DS and DS Lite.  With handhelds I find it best not to be an early adopter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:29:05 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 01:00:58 PM »
Odd, but I think Nintendo could bring back the "Game Boy" brand for the Switch Mini.  I still think they'll have a model that doesn't have detachable joycon and probably doesn't come with a dock, even if it does hdmi out.  They seem to expect their consumers to have a certain level of savvy, despite that not always being the case. (E.g., "~new 2DS XL", and the Wii U being initially mistaken for a Wii add-on.)  So, having two consoles that play the same games wouldn't come off as too confusing to them.  However, "Switch Mini" that doesn't "Switch" kind of would because the Switch's central concept is cooked into both the name and logo of the console.  And if the emphasis on the revision is "more portability, it would make sense to leverage their portable brand.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
I'd be really interested in a Dual Screen Switch or DSS that plays Switch and 3ds/ds/gba/gameboy games. ULTIMATE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. Though the likelihood of that is low. A Virtual Console for that is more likely.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
Yeah, that would be cool. But I think handheld games being added to Nintendo Online would make for a good showcase of the new hardware, especially if they used the Game Boy name. It would segue nicely in a direct. Though they’d have to add some download function so you can take the games with you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
I always imagined a Gameboy phone. Why let Samsung and Apple have all the fun?

And I made that one a few years ago. One thing I don't like about phones is how fucking bitchass they are. The OG Gameboy was a rugged machine. I'd probably make it more rugged than this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:49:19 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »
I would imagine a Switch Mini as something that looks like the bottom half of a 3DS XL.  The bottom screen would be widescreen; the nub is gone, and replaced by the plus button; the minus button is on the opposite side; start and select are removed to make room for second circle pad; speakers are below the screen, where the 3DS home button is/was; add capture and (Switch) home button below d-pad and 2nd circle pad, respectively.

I don't think the Switch uses the infrared camera for communication, so maybe you can axe it.  The stylus hole being gone and the carts being smaller hopefully mean there's enough space to have the mirco SD on the outside and not under the battery.

I think that would make something about the size of the Switch console without the joycon, but it would have all the buttons.  Maybe you could make the screen smaller to keep the size down.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:16:36 PM by nickmitch »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »
I imagine a switch mini as looking identical to a PSP, but more Nintendo-y. Maybe no Stand, just a dongle.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree no dock in the packaging.  Would help keep cost down.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
I like the subtitle SP. That way they're going to their archive of Plus names without the appearance of copying Sony.

Also, if it exists Nintendo of America hasn't found out about it yet.

I bet they would call it something redundant like Switch Portable though.

It is possible they jump to x2 chips, which would allow them to do dock mode on the go with low power consumption.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:50:38 PM by ThePerm »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
I actually really hope they don't go the path of clamshell.  Those hinges are too big a failure point for my liking. 

This is the kind of thing my wife might like a lot if it came to fruition.  She's going to want her own Switch once Animal Crossing comes out and for Stardew Valley.  I'd love to have this option for her if it were more compact, simplified (non-detachable joycon), and a larger battery life. 

I'd also be good with it not coming with a dock, but I would hope it'd still have the ability to go into existing docks. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »
Wouldn't an improved chip set also allow them to remove the cooling fan?  Even if there's no resolution upgrade, not having that fan is a big plus to a revision.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »
The only changes I can see them making are just an increased battery, bumping the display to 1080p (it will essentially always run in "docked mode" if this happens) due to cooler running processor and improved battery life, and POSSIBLY a 4K-capable dock (for YouTube, Amazon, etc., not for games). Other than that, they'll never change the looks, at least nothing drastic like above.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:18 AM »

Maybe it'll look like this?

I probably should move the home and record buttons closer to the camera.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:33:08 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
I wonder how small is too small for a screen on a revision?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »
vita was a 5 inch display. Switch is a 6.2 inch display. 3ds XL was 4.2 inches. If it was a 5.75 inch display and the resolution was bumped up to 1080p the shrink in size would be a wash. Wii u was also 6.2 inches.

If it was a clam shell design you could possibly make the screen bigger.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:32:25 AM »
If you don't have the controllers removable you don't have to follow the awful design choices Nintendo made for the Switch controller.  I think I like the idea of a clam shell design with a sunken analog stick.  So the system is flush when closed, but it isn't the circle pad idea.  Then I would put a little grip underneath for the hands to wrist and use the middle finger as a trigger.  Those are my ideas. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
I wonder if they could/would take the clam shell idea and basically replace the controls with and area to slide the joy-con into.  Basically making it like the charging grip.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »
I don't like either of the two designs. Why does the Vita looking one have a camera on it? The Switch doesn't have a camera.

We might see a smaller Switch at some point, but it wont be a major redesign.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
I don't like either of the two designs. Why does the Vita looking one have a camera on it? The Switch doesn't have a camera.

We might see a smaller Switch at some point, but it wont be a major redesign.

I always thought it was odd the switch didn't have a camera. The wiiu and the ds line had cameras. One thing I was sort of burned by being an earlier adopter of the fat DS was that the DSi had a camera. Which, was awesome. One way to make something feel more like an upgrade is to leave something out...like a camera, HDD support, HD portably, a decent headset configuration, Netflix.

Maybe the hand grip is what you put it in to connect to the tv.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:19:27 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 03:20:46 AM »
The Switch doesn't need the camera. The only two games I can think of that used it on the Wii U are Nintendo Land and Wii Fit U.