Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359747 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #575 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:18 AM »
Hey are there any clothes for dealing with heat or do I have to visit Gorons constantly drinking Elixirs?

Yes, there's a guy at the southern mine who will trade you a fireproof top for some fire-proof lizards.  Or you can go to Goron City and buy the armor set from the shop.

Yahoo! Thanks pal!

I just saw a few Gorons on the way to their home town and I just love that the NPC's seem to go about their days with purpose!
I don't know what I expected the Death Mountain area to look like but I stood over the dark rocks in the surrounding area at night with lava flowing and it just looks so beautiful! Every time I go somewhere new I keep thinking I've seen the majority of the environments and I just get wowed over and over!

Over 50 hours in and 1 temple completed and I am still completely in love with this game. I don't ever want to go back to the old formula. A Zelda like this once a generation is just about all I'd need.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:57 AM »
Give me a Breath of the Wind Waker ocean/island exploration sequel in a few years and I would be overjoyed. Actually makes me want to go back and play Wind Waker again.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
Hey are there any clothes for dealing with heat or do I have to visit Gorons constantly drinking Elixirs?

Yes, there's a guy at the southern mine who will trade you a fireproof top for some fire-proof lizards.  Or you can go to Goron City and buy the armor set from the shop.

Yahoo! Thanks pal!

No prob!

It does add an interesting wrinkle to people who are emphasizing stamina over hearts. Although with enough rupees you can probably exchange vessels for hearts at the Hateno Village prayer statue and cheese it that way.

I had that problem.  I did a dungeon because I wanted another heart without using orbs.  But I still ended up just switching to getting hearts after clearing shrines.  I think I went back to that place every time I got another heart container.

I looked at my Korok seed count, and I don't know how Mop does it.  I feel like I find a lot of them, but I guess it's just not as many as I think.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 21, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
Give me a Zelda styled after AC Black Flag with lots of pirate battles and a playable Tetra and I'll be happy.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:23 AM »
I beat the game last night , as in, I defeated the 4 divine beasts and Ganon, nowhere near done playing it and exploring the world..

This game easily lands somewhere in my top Zelda list, yet it in some ways it feels nothing like the Zelda games I grew up with (LttP, OoT), so in some ways I'm still craving that more linear feel.  I've got Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD in my backlog, I'll need to pick between those two here and move on to that one next.

A few thoughts in a block of spoiler text, since I know many haven't gotten quite as far:

The game IS sparse on story, and I won't disagree that it's largely forced to, due to the "choose your own direction" nature of the game.  That said, I DON'T agree that the story is weak, moreso that they are letting the player piece together the events through the hidden memories, and more importantly, the NPC's dialogue regarding the events following Calamity Ganon.  If you go by solely the hidden memories, you'd see the story primarily about Zelda trying desperately to unlock her power and failing to in time, only to obtain it in a final fleeting moment to save Link after Calamity Ganon had already won, setting up the events 100 years later.  The dialogue with the various NPCs provide a breadth of information on Calamity Ganon, the events immediately afterward, how it's changed their lives, etc. 

Calamity Ganon's fight was underwhelming...but I remember Ganondorf being underwhelming in Ocarina of Time as well, so I wasn't necessarily surprised by that.  I struggled taking down his last quarter of life until I remembered the Gerudo Champion's electrical powerup.  I was a little disappointed how he was basically portrayed as a spider centaur, felt kind of lazy in that regard.  That said, I appreciated the direction they took generally with him as more of a force of nature rather than an entity.

Breath of the Wild taking place after Ocarina of Time confirmed??  The Gerudo Champion after you free their divine beast mentions that Ganon had been a Gerudo male in a prior Incarnation.

I liked all the Champions' characters besides Mipha, but was kinda hoping the people from each race who help you get to the divine beast were going to become the new "Champion" for the final confrontation with Ganon.

Finally, voice acting wasn't great.  I really wish Nintendo didn't think all women have weak frail voices.

What's everyone think the likelihood is that Nintendo takes the framework of this game and tries to expand upon it and add a new twist for their next Zelda game, a la Ocarina of time/Majora's Mask?  Seems like an awful amount of time and effort was spent on such a well-received game to just start from scratch for the next game, and I hope we don't have to wait until the Switch successor for another Zelda game.

Never thought I'd say this, but thank god for the DLC, I'll probably be playing this game throughout the year, but it'll be nice to have some story beats to hit later on this year, and hopefully it'll feel meaningful/worthwhile.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
I doubt Nintendo lets the engine go to waste.  I'll bet they try to work out some of the frame rate issues associated with it to put out another Zelda on Switch.  We got Zelda day one on Switch, as we did Wii.  And the Wii got a second Zelda.  So, I would expect another one in a few years.  Maybe a shorter turnaround if they do reuse the engine.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
I didn't think Zelda or Urbosa sounded frail, really. Mipha definitely did, but I thought it was interesting to see a Zora with a more subdued personality.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
I didn't think Zelda or Urbosa sounded frail, really. Mipha definitely did, but I thought it was interesting to see a Zora with a more subdued personality.

Urbosa was fine, and actually one of the better voice actors, IMO.  Maybe it's just the women I'm around/used to hearing, but I definitely think Zelda & Mipha sounded frail, Mipha worse so. 

And I understand Zelda's character might make sense to sound meek at some points, but even a lot of points where she's standing her ground and supposed to be strong willed, seemed rather weak to me because of this. 

This isn't to say I thought the male voice actors were great either, a lot of these sounded like they got the first take and went "good enough". 

It just felt striking to me that the only one that didn't seem to have a wispy voice was Urbosa.  It's like the difference between singing using your diaphragm vs your throat to project your voice.  One sounds strong/authoritative, other sounds weak and thin.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
Well, seeing that she's really the only mature woman in the story, and that there's really a handful of voice-acted female characters, I didn't see the problem. Again, a difference of opinion.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
Well, seeing that she's really the only mature woman in the story, and that there's really a handful of voice-acted female characters, I didn't see the problem. Again, a difference of opinion.

Yep, I'm not necessarily trying to convince you, just elaborating/fleshing out my rationalization.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »
Here's a stunning example of how well put together this game and its underlying mechanics are. Maybe a slight spoiler, I guess.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »
Nothing like walking into a shrine and being told you have already proven your worth.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
There was also a pretty awesome fight between a Guardian and a Talus that was posted recently. The Guardian's aggro was drawn by the Talus' ranged attacks, but the Guardian wasn't smart enough to target the Talus' weak points.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
Getting the dragon scale up on top of the mountain was a lot of fun.

Also, I discovered you can almost avoid Lynels if you keep your distance and DON'T draw a weapon. They will eyeball you pretty hard, but stay crouched and skirt the outside. If he starts firing arrows in the air, RUN!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 22, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
Keeping close to a Lynel, as crazy as it sounds, is safe than being long-distance. Their accuracy is pretty deadly and they have an area-of-effect arrow shot that can deal serious damage.

The endgame of Breath of the Wild is essentially just farming Lynel materials, so I've become pretty proficient in killing them.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
You and Clex, man.  I don't know how you're doing it.  I tried fighting a Lynel the other day and it was not good.  My problem was probably the gear I was equipped with, but I didn't really feel like I stood  chance.  I'm gonna try again after I get the last tower and buff some equipment.

Another thing that's fun for me are the masks you can buy at Fang and Bone.  There's a Lynel one you can get.  The way the monsters react to you is priceless.  The only issue is that if one is a different monster or sees you with a weapon, then all bets are off.  But definitely a good way to get around Lynels.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 22, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, getting used to Lynel encounters isn't easy, and there are times where you might have to farm the best weapons for it, as well. There's a couple of tricks you can use to stop their most-devastating attacks, as well, such as using Stasis+ to freeze them before they can execute them, but they require some decently-improved gear and a sense of when and how they perform certain attacks. They're one instance where flurry rushing is very important if you want to maximize damage without spending too many resources. I think a high-tier Lynel has about 5000 hp.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
There is something rather silly I like to do in this game and it never stops being funny.  There are a lot of Koroks that are found under rocks.  So after their little "you found me!" cutscene I'm always left standing right in front of them with a rock over my head.  The first time I did this by accident but I always drop the rock on the Korok's head and he makes this funny little pain sound and says something like "ouch!"  This never gets old.  I have to drop the rock on the Korok's head and every time I get a grin on my face. :)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, getting used to Lynel encounters isn't easy, and there are times where you might have to farm the best weapons for it, as well. There's a couple of tricks you can use to stop their most-devastating attacks, as well, such as using Stasis+ to freeze them before they can execute them, but they require some decently-improved gear and a sense of when and how they perform certain attacks. They're one instance where flurry rushing is very important if you want to maximize damage without spending too many resources. I think a high-tier Lynel has about 5000 hp.

Ha, I actually used the spoilered tip to try and regroup while fighting one.

Now, that I bought the house and can store weapons, I think I'll try to stock up.  I got pretty good with switching from a two-handed weapon to just the shield doing the "Major Test of Strength" shrines.  My problem is I keep finding cool things I wanna keep.  Like, I currently have a Meteor, Blizzard, and Thunder Rod on me.  As well as all three elemental great blades. And I keep saving a space for a hammer and a Korok leaf, with the leaf being randomly useful and the only flammable item I keep.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 22, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Hey guys there is a Zora missing somewhere I was told she may have been at the Zora River or all the way down to Lake Hylia. I have been just about everywhere and can not find this woman. Any tips?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 22, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
There is something rather silly I like to do in this game and it never stops being funny.  There are a lot of Koroks that are found under rocks.  So after their little "you found me!" cutscene I'm always left standing right in front of them with a rock over my head.  The first time I did this by accident but I always drop the rock on the Korok's head and he makes this funny little pain sound and says something like "ouch!"  This never gets old.  I have to drop the rock on the Korok's head and every time I get a grin on my face. :)

I just discovered that on my last play session on Monday. I was normally just throwing the rocks away but I hit the drop button instead and was surprised to see the reaction although I suppose I should expect it since there have always been some things in Nintendo games like jumping or spraying the Piantas in Sunshine. There are times I've swung a weapon close to NPCs and they react scared or trying to get out of the way. My reaction though was mixed. I kind of felt making the mistake of dropping it on the poor guy but it also made me smile too from the inherent comedy of it.

A while ago, I was transporting a rock over to a Korok location of a stone circle missing the last rock needed to complete it and reveal the Korok. It was on an elevated boulder / part of the landscape. I threw the rock on to the top of the boulder and started climbing but the rock was on a slanted surface so it slid off from where I threw it and nailed Link in the head as I was climbing giving him a half a heart of damage. While it was frustrating to have to grab that rock and find a better spot to throw it up to, I was kind of impressed that the game sort of accounted for an accident like that by giving me some damage.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:10:15 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »

Ha, I actually used the spoilered tip to try and regroup while fighting one.

Now, that I bought the house and can store weapons, I think I'll try to stock up.  I got pretty good with switching from a two-handed weapon to just the shield doing the "Major Test of Strength" shrines.  My problem is I keep finding cool things I wanna keep.  Like, I currently have a Meteor, Blizzard, and Thunder Rod on me.  As well as all three elemental great blades. And I keep saving a space for a hammer and a Korok leaf, with the leaf being randomly useful and the only flammable item I keep.

Two handed blades frustrated me for awhile because I'd be hitting my shield button to defend myself but with both hands on the blade, I had no free hand for the shield and would get pummeled. I had to learn to sheath the sword and then press the shield button. In regards to tests of strengths and guardians, right now I'm using my house to store Guardian weapons like Guardian shields, swords, battle axes. Part of that is so if I decide to face some of the 6 legged monstrosities wandering around then I've got a supply of good weapons against them but also for the tests of strength. If a shrine is a test of strength, I can leave, warp to get some supplies and then warp back and face the shrine. I especially like having Guardian shields once I learned they could deflect laser blasts back to the Guardians. I had read the description on the shield awhile ago which mentioned it and in my first dungeon, I got a Guardian shield early on. When some of the small Guardian robots would fire at me, I just kept the shield block up and their blasts would go right back to them. After a few redeflected blasts, they blew themselves up and all I had to do was stand there and wait. I haven't really tried it with the bigger Guardians and their bigger blast attack yet but I am curious to see if those beams would be deflected back as well.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Hey guys there is a Zora missing somewhere I was told she may have been at the Zora River or all the way down to Lake Hylia. I have been just about everywhere and can not find this woman. Any tips?

check near the island in the lake

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
Khrush, I can confirm your theory, and it is immensely empowering to do so. However, what's even better is facing Guardians with melee weapons when you can finally tank their hits, because you can reduce them to pathetic, writhing masses by hacking off their limbs.

I will say this: I've played about 125 hours of Breath of the Wild, and I fully anticipate returning to it on Hard Mode. Even though I've been to all 120 Shrines, have a ton of gear maxed out, and only a handful of quests remaining, I have a lingering sensation that makes me want to keep coming back and playing more. Once I finish out the sidequests (earlier I scoffed about the number of them- 72- which in reality is quite a handful, especially when some feature multiple objectives), all I'll have left to do in the game is find Korok Seeds, and I'm... strangely okay with that. I'm actually excited to comb the world for tiny little mini puzzles and appreciate it from just about every angle.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:37:41 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Some of the Korok puzzles are devilishly misleading. I found one stone ring in a river and could not throw a rock far enough to reach it, so I spent 20 minutes using stasis on the rocks to lob them in...until I tried a different approach I used freeze to create a path and tossed the rock onto those and it slid in.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast