Author Topic: Everything about Windows sucks  (Read 15766 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Everything about Windows sucks
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:11 AM »
So I jsut got myself a windows box thing and every moment with it is pure aggravation. Right now I'm trying to download newer drivers for my graphics card because that is the sort of bullshit you have to concern yourself with running windows. So from the existing driver i click a 'get new drivers' update or something. And this open a webpage in Internet Explorer (why, I set Opera as my default web browser) and after confessing to ATi my specs it took to a webpage with 4 separate downloads that as far as I can tell all do the same ****. I download the first 100meg files but it wants the otehr three as well but I've closed IE so I open IE and want to just visit my history but WHERE DO I DO THAT? Every fucking application in this operating system has it's own unique and bullshit way of setting out it's menus so I'm searching all over the fucking screen . The traditional menubar is nowhere to be seen, on some aborted brother of the tabs bar as some, symbols that could be menus, I don't know. I click around a few of these like safety which lets me delete my history but WHERE IS MY HISTORY?! There is a questionmark menu but I just know that is going to launch a pile of bullshit.

So why do I have to meticulously manage my drivers?
Why can't it just get me new drivers, the right ones, when I need them?
Why aren't my default apps opening by default?
Why doesn't anything have a unified menu layout?
This is the worst **** ever.
I just wanna play Beyond Good and Evil.
I shoulda jsut bought an Xbox.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Everything about Windows sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:19:07 AM »
OMG SO TH DOWNLOAD LAUNCHED AN INSTALLER THAT LAUNCHED AN INSTALLER! WHAT THE FLYING ****?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:27 AM »
THAT'S CUZ YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR THE FULL VERSION OF NORTON YET
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:51 AM »
The UAC on Windows is out of control. I'm glad you can turn it off.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
You should have asked me before you bought it; I could have told you Windows sucked before you spent money on it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
Windows doesn't suck anymore than Mac or Linux. At least, Windows 7 doesn't. It's the users that suck.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
Windows doesn't suck anymore than Mac or Linux. At least, Windows 7 doesn't. It's the users that suck.

Nuh uh, Macs are 10 billion times better than Winblows.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
I have had no problems with Windows 7, Windows ME sucked though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »

Nuh uh, Macs are 10 billion times better than Winblows.

Um, yeah. Being locked down in a world of proprietary ideas is just wonderful. The only reason Macs have the illusion of being better is because they control the few sets of hardware available. If Microsoft forbid anyone else from making PCs but them, I'm sure it'd be a lot more stables as well.

If you like being told what you can and cannot do based on Steve Jobs' insane ideas, then go ahead and use Mac. The rest of us will stick to real computers and leave the iToys to you. ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »
You're misinformed if you think anything beside the hardware is locked down.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
Recent Windows sucks. I miss my Windows '98 machine, it was the easiest computer I've ever used.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
The best thing MS ever did was ditch DOS in favor of NT.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
Recent Windows sucks. I miss my Windows '98 machine, it was the easiest computer I've ever used.

Windows 7 has given no problems what so ever. best release of Windows in a really really long time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
I'm no fanboy, but I agree, Windows 7 is pretty great. I never really had any problems with XP or Vista either. People always whine about their old ass programs and hardware not working...it's like crying that your Blu Ray player doesn't accept casettes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
I haven't yet used a computer with Windows 7 so I can't comment on that, but I don't really like 2000, XP, or especially Vista.

People always whine about their old ass programs and hardware not working...it's like crying that your Blu Ray player doesn't accept casettes.
Not really. In the case of Vista, I'd equate it to if a Blu-ray player couldn't play DVDs. In my experience, a lot of programs designed for Windows XP do not work with Vista, and XP is a generation behind Vista; video cassette is two generations behind Blu-ray. To me, it seems like an attempt to get people to buy new software and hardware that does essentially the same thing as what they already had.

As far as compatibility is concerned, Windows XP actually works fine. I have yet to find a piece of software or hardware I can't get working with XP, and I've even got some games from the late 80's and early 90's that run just fine on it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
I remember trying to play RollerCoaster Tycoon in Windows XP. The game worked, but the expansion pack RollerCoaster Tycoon: Corkscrew Follies wasn't compatible.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
Are we still arguing about Mac vs PC vs Linux?  They all have their strengths and weaknesses and a mac user CAN be friends with a PC user if they really try.  Honestly the best computing experience I ever had was running Window 7, Snow Leopard, and Ubuntu on the same machine.  There was nothing I couldn't run, and between the three of them there were tons of awesome free programs to do anything I wanted to do.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
For the record, in case anyone wasn't sure, all my Mac-worship and Windows-bashing in this thread were sarcastically over the top. I prefer OS X, but Windows has gotten to the point where it's not terrible anymore, and is perfectly usable when required.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 04:16:40 AM »
I've been keeping a loose blog of some of the problems elsewhere as they happen. In summary
ATi Driver installation is a joke
Beyond Good and Evil doesn't support gamepads.
Steam is a fucking joke, wont backup properly, wont restore from backup properly.
Everytime I run a game on steam, it seems to want to install some direct X 9 bullshit.
Half the time my speakers don't work.
It just bluescreened 3 times in a row on me.
Today it woudln't startup initially then it did and installed some drivers for my mouse automatically. Then it crashed
It crashed a few more times until I tried safe mode (which failed me last time) and this time it worked. Uninstalled that driver and my anti virus since it also told me my anti virus wasn't running properly.
Now steam wants to update but it cant because some file cant be overwritten. I should point out it's not always the same file.
Now my graphics card drivers 'control center' wont start. Explorer crashes the moment I try to do anything except empty the recycle bin. and drop box sometimes starts.

Seriously, I am never building my own computer again.

It crashed one second ago trying to update steam.

Wow this seems promising! It's like it realised that it was crashing non stop and it's running some sorta Hard Disk check and it found some corrupted files. Did I put them there? Please work, please. I wanna play Mass Effect.

I shoulda just bught an XBox.

Update: crashed again Just as I was about to submit the error report. Running the memory diagnostics tool. it found nothing the last time I ran it and I continue to have some blue screen memory related issue.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:26:33 AM by RABicle »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 04:31:45 AM »
So what version of Windows were you running again?

sounds like you have a hardware issue, not software.
I have a previous build in the other room that started crashing all of a sudden (XP machine) and is waiting for some attention. I'm sure some peice of hardware failed me, but I can't be bothered with it right now.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
Windows 7 home
Anyway I turned it al off. Swapped one stick of ram intoa  different slot
took out the graphics card
EVERYTHING RUNS FINE!
Update steam
Uninstall my card drivers.
Excited I tear the case back open and shove the graphics card back in.
close the case.
Realise that I never turned the machine off, nor plug the VGA card into teh power.
Hang my head in shame

I've totally fucked it up now haven't I? I just installed a Graphics card while teh machine was running.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »
I swear I can feel electricity running through me.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
Rab, you've probably given me the best laugh I'll have all day.

Sucks to hear that you might have fried your mobo and/or video card in the process.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:10 AM »
Ok. I might not of fucked everything up. I can't actually remember if the machine was off or on when I shoved the VGA in but now common sense is telling me it was off because I probably would've noticed the fans spinning.

However. Now it wont boot. It will boot without the VGA (it's a Radeon HD 6850 btw) but with the VGA it get to the starting windows screen and the animation stalls after 10 seconds or so. And then it sits there.

My mate told me to check for burn marks on the VGA pins and there were none.

I've fucked something up though...

UPDATE! I fixed it. Holy **** what an adventure. It still does one pretty fucked thing though. In between the windows is starting screen and the welcome loading screen it has a quick seizure with random distorted visual noise.

A whole day that could've been spent playing Mass Effect has been lost though, it will be hard to forgive the computer for it's betrayal. Thanks for the encouragement and Windows v Mac discussion guys. I think I will definitely stick to macs for pretty much everything from now on. Hopefully this PC's hexacore will last me a few years.

I *think* all the problems stemmed from two things: My second ram stick being in the third slot and not the second and ATi's incremental driver update being super shitty. We'll never really know.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:45:42 AM by RABicle »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Don't mess with stuff you don't understand?

It sounds like all your problems stem from you customizing your PC, despite not even being able to tell if there's power running to it or not. If you can't properly piece some components together, maybe you should stick with those locked down Macs...

Note: ATI's drivers have always sucked. I haven't owned an ATI card in years because of this. I hear that they've gotten a bit better since AMD took them over though. If anyone could turn them around, it would be AMD.