Author Topic: I'm also working on a game.  (Read 4174 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I'm also working on a game.
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
It's for a class (Game Design), we're making an FPS using Unity. It's just for school as of now, but if it works out well enough we might try to make a full blown game, or at least several levels.

It's called "Lost And Forgotten," somewhat of a post-apocalyptic zombie invasion, probably more 28 Days Later than Walking Dead or Black Ops though. Very early into development, but we should have a little bit more to show in a couple of weeks. It's being published on PC (Windows or Linux) for now, but porting to Android is incredibly simple, just optimizing it might not be that easy, so a high-end device would be needed.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: I'm also working on a game.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Wow! That's one heck of an undertaking for a game design class!

We were just using Game Maker, and here you are making something in Unity!

Looks exceptional so far.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
Thanks, we're actually relying on a bunch of stuff from the asset store right now, but actually getting something up and running is pretty simple. Someone else worked on the gun, I made the muzzle flash for it. There are 6 of us all together. the final product will probably look substantially different, since it's not going to be happy times.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
Still, don't let any of that take away from what you guys have managed to pull off.

I was going to post my own game, but I don't want to take attention away from yours. I'll post it next week maybe.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Sophia

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »
Thanks, we're actually relying on a bunch of stuff from the asset store right now, but actually getting something up and running is pretty simple. Someone else worked on the gun, I made the muzzle flash for it. There are 6 of us all together. the final product willl probably look substantially different, since it's not going to be happy times.

Really nice images!
I bet everyone in your class loved that game, and your grade must have been high :)
Keep up the good work
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:16:01 PM by Sophia »

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
looks cool, just try to give it a twist so it's not just a generic zombie-shooter.
also hi new person!
Made you look ****.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
Thanks, we're actually relying on a bunch of stuff from the asset store right now, but actually getting something up and running is pretty simple. Someone else worked on the gun, I made the muzzle flash for it. There are 6 of us all together. the final product will probably look substantially different, since it's not going to be happy times.

Really nice images!
I bet everyone in your class loved that game, and your grade must have been high :)
Keep up the good work

This is a nice, positive and encouraging bump.

Did you ever finish this Brandogg?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the bump. We got an A in the class, but really one semester with 4 or 5 people who have never used Unity before wasn't enough time to come up with anything good. It just ended up as a proof of concept, but I did put a cool Easter egg in the game where you can invisible blocks to get on top of a building and find a picture of one of the developers in a bathing suit. Google times. I also did the music for the title screen which ended up being a pretty decent song.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
I'm trying to get Phil into using unityon the indy game dev thread. So, we have at least two people who can make games in Unity?

We could start a team :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »
I saw a very similar game on the steam store... did they copy or vice versa?
Made you look ****.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »
It's almost impossible to not end up having a lot of surface similarities when making any game. For every FTL you have dozens of FPS survival games that are barely differentiated.

Killing Zombies in a FPS isn't exactly a fresh(Ha!) genera. Unless you have some unique gameplay element its going to disappear into the noise. Running around in some kind of apocalypse isn't that unique element you need. That's assuming it isn't buggy as hell.

Mobile games on the other hand is a different story as it is an endlessly orboros self consuming copycats. It is not unusual to have a game ripped off within a weeks with barely new coat of paint.

But none of that matters as this is an exercise to work the fundamentals, a high level originality is not a realistic expectation at this point. I hope you turnout something cool all the same.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?