Author Topic: Zero Escape (999 and Virtue's Last Reward) Discussion  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Zero Escape (999 and Virtue's Last Reward) Discussion
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
I beat 999 completely during the summer, while on vacation in Florida, and was pleased to find out that the sequel released a few months later. After months of waiting I got the game a few days ago and beat VLR 100% about twenty minutes ago. My head is still reeling from all the twists and turns. I don't think I've ever consumed a story that was so convoluted (in a good way, I assure you) as VLR (and by extension, 999). And I'm a guy who loved LOST and Primer.

Has anyone else played either game? I've love to discuss the ending to VLR (and 999, if that's all you've played).

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape (999 and Virtue's Last Reward) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:56:43 AM »
I have never played either of these games. However, 999 is at the top of my wishlist for DS games and once I get a 3DS the its sequel will be in possession as well. Would the potential third game be a good fit on the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »
Also just finished VLR over the weekend, and enjoyed the game quite a bit.  Would mind discussing, but think we should be very cautious with spoilers out of respect for others.

I felt that the Flow mechanic made playing VLR much easier and more enjoyable than replaying from the beginning each time in 999, but think that I liked the story in 999 better (despite a few nearly inexplicable plot holes). VLR seemed to tie up loose ends much better, but also seemed to make predicting what might happen easier. 999 was much more mind-blowing... but maybe that's because I played 999 first and went into VLR with different expectations.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »
I have never played either of these games. However, 999 is at the top of my wishlist for DS games and once I get a 3DS the its sequel will be in possession as well. Would the potential third game be a good fit on the Wii U?

Nope, not at all. Handheld is definitely a better fit for the system, especially with the Flow mechanic.

Also just finished VLR over the weekend, and enjoyed the game quite a bit.  Would mind discussing, but think we should be very cautious with spoilers out of respect for others.

I felt that the Flow mechanic made playing VLR much easier and more enjoyable than replaying from the beginning each time in 999, but think that I liked the story in 999 better (despite a few nearly inexplicable plot holes). VLR seemed to tie up loose ends much better, but also seemed to make predicting what might happen easier. 999 was much more mind-blowing... but maybe that's because I played 999 first and went into VLR with different expectations.

Well, that's the thing. I felt like some of the plot in 999 came out of nowhere and my BS meter went off the charts. There's still a lot from VLR we don't understand but at least it was explained MUCH nicer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:13:00 AM by Oblivion »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »

Nope, not at all. Handheld is definitely a better fit for the system, especially with the Flow mechanic.

I think it would work fine on Wii U from a technical standpoint... I just wouldn't want to do that much reading on my TV.  The game is essentially a digital choose-your-own-adventure book in many ways, so being portable and on the small screen is a very good fit.

Well, that's the thing. I felt like some of the plot in 999 came out of nowhere and my BS meter went off the charts. There's still a lot from VLR we don't understand but at least it was explained MUCH nicer.

This is probably a fair assessment. I think that VLR did a much better job of wrapping up loose ends than 999 too, especially with all the extra post-game scenes that you could choose to play though. However, whether you want most loose ends wrapped up or have some answers left up to your imagination/interpretation will depend on the individual.

999 may have been setting off BS alarms in a heavy way - but I really enjoyed how it took a lot of really wild ideas, threw them together, and then weaved a ridiculous story that blew away anything I might have been expecting.

VLR seemed to do a better job of telegraphing some of the twists. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that the internal logic for this game was just more clearly defined? Showing off things like treatment pods with a frozen sleep function or the Gaulem Bay location during the story made some of the later reveals almost expected.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:35:21 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer