Author Topic: Papers, Please, Defender’s Quest, and Yummy Circus May Be Coming to Wii U  (Read 1241 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network

Flash-inspired OpenFL framework gaining support for Wii U and 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40455/papers-please-defenders-quest-and-yummy-circus-may-be-coming-to-wii-u

At WWX2015, a Haxe developer conference, Lars Doucet revealed that OpenFL, an open implementation of the Adobe Flash API is coming to consoles. With OpenFL running on consoles, ports of Flash and Haxe games will be much less work and much cheaper to produce.

The first three games to be ported will by Defender’s Quest HD by Level Up Labs, Paper’s Please by 3909, and Yummy Circus by Puzzl.

Other games that may be ported in the future include Anodyne, Rebuild 3, Telepath Tactics, Rydmkapsel, Incredipede, Ghost Song, Neo Scavenger, Cursed Treasure 2, and Evoland.

OpenFL, cross-platform Lime layer, and 2D engine HaxeFlixel are being ported to work on consoles natively, but a little help was needed with programming libraries, asset processing and rendering. Veteran console developers WayFoward are providing their wfEngine middleware in order to glue it all together.

Currently, Wii U support is working, and plans are in place for Nintendo 3DS support, as well as PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and Xbox One. Several tech demos already work, such as MODE, PiratePig, 3D Cubes, and BunnyMark. Videos of the demos can be seen below.

Papers, Please, Defender’s Quest HD, and Yummy Circus are tentatively set for release by the end of the year. Interested developers are encouraged to fill out this form if they want to bring their Flash games to consoles. Doucet reports that the demand since his announcement has been high.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Papers, Please is an excellent game and should be on the eShop.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Glory to Arstozka!
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.