Author Topic: Another Capcom mistake? Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3  (Read 23500 times)

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Another Capcom mistake? Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
Not that I'm against 12 new characters but isn't it a bit to soon?  MvC3 launched earlier this year and about 6 months later this comes along.  Mind you it wouldn't have been bad if it was DLC but this is a stand alone product meaning if you want to play with the new characters you're going have to buy this version.
Glad I waited but I can see this pissing off more than a few people who bought the orginal.
Oh yeah, one of those 12 new characters is Phoenix Wright?  So I'm guessing UMvC 3 is going to one of nintendo's new systems if not both.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:38:27 PM by ymeegod »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Another Capcom mistake? Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
I'd actually be very surprised if the Wii U got Marvel vs. Capcom 3.  By the time the Wii U releases, Capcom will probably be concentrating on their next big fighting game, which will probably be Street Fighter x Tekken (or is it the other way around for that first game?).  I don't know if they'll want to port a year-old fighting game at that point.

As for the game itself, I'm just glad I merely borrowed the first MvC3 instead of purchasing it.  I'll consider buying this one if this has the story mode Capcom was obviously too lazy to put in the original game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »
Capcom recently released Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition so I wouldn't put it past them to release another version of Marvel Vs Capcom 3. That version could make it's way to Wii U... along with a most likely upgraded Mortal Kombat.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:53 AM »
Not that I'm against 12 new characters but isn't it a bit to soon?  MvC3 launched earlier this year and about 6 months later this comes along.  Mind you it wouldn't have been bad if it was DLC but this is a stand alone product meaning if you want to play with the new characters you're going have to buy this version.

We were talking about this in the fight game general thread!

I think the idea was to scrap all of the DLC plans for MVC3 and put it in a new disc along with a buttload of fixes and features and stuff. I take issue with your "wouldn't have been bad if it was DLC" statement because the going price for DLC characters is $5 a pop - it's a much better value to get 12 more characters on a $40 disc (along with the new stages and fixes and whatever else - like substantial technical changes that wouldn't be possible via dlc).

I think that PSN being down for a greater portion of MVC3's lifespan may have also had an affect on this. Lol.

So, yeah, I'm saying UMvC3 is a good deal.

I'll consider buying this one if this has the story mode Capcom was obviously too lazy to put in the original game.
I still think you are in the minority if this is your top concern.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »
Mistake?! Capcom has successfully sold Street Fighter IV a total of three times! MvC3 was an unfinished game, everyone knew it by the lack of features and pathetically small roster. This isn't a surprise at all.

My advice? Don't buy it. Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game you need right now.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:05:59 AM »
My advice? Don't buy it. Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game you need right now.

I actually probably would if the controls were a bit more like MvC3 or the first BlazBlue.  I have a great deal of respect for those developers for putting the effort into a real story mode for that game, not to mention all the post-launch support it's gotten.  It's just not a game I have any skill with.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:12:44 AM »
Mistake?! Capcom has successfully sold Street Fighter IV a total of three times! MvC3 was an unfinished game, everyone knew it by the lack of features and pathetically small roster. This isn't a surprise at all.

I don't think MK is better, and should be getting more heat for having garbage ass netcode. MvC3 may not have spectator mode, but ffs at least the online is playable.
Also 30+ viable characters is a pathetically small roster? lol

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:18 AM »
It's pathetically small when half the fun of MvC2 was the ridiculously huge roster. Capcom phoned it in big time with MvC3, and this glorified expansion pack proves it.

Everyone always complains about netcode... in everything. I've played Mortal Kombat pretty extensively and have never had any issues. It may exist, but I suspect most reports have more to do with crappy internet connections and poor network setups.

Outside of adding Freddy Kruger to the roster, Mortal Kombat has done everything right. It is the fighting game that all others should strive to be more like.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »
It's pathetically small when half the fun of MvC2 was the ridiculously huge roster. Capcom phoned it in big time with MvC3, and this glorified expansion pack proves it.
Let's do some comparison: MVC3 has 38, all new character models and all viable threats to the other player in the game. MVC2 has 56, all but 7 are recycled sprites from old games, and maybe like 15 characters tops you can pick without being murdered for free once you progress beyond baby button masher level. Putting 38 characters even just in the ballpark of being balanced in a new game is effort-central.

Everyone always complains about netcode... in everything. I've played Mortal Kombat pretty extensively and have never had any issues. It may exist, but I suspect most reports have more to do with crappy internet connections and poor network setups.
Don't you tell me that, it is widely motherfucking documented that it's awful and I have also experienced it first hand.

Outside of adding Freddy Kruger to the roster, Mortal Kombat has done everything right. It is the fighting game that all others should strive to be more like.
I agree that it is a good game, and has done a lot of things right, but it also has still done a lot of **** wrong (awful practice options, awful netplay)

MVC3 is the best fighting game so far this year

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »
You seem to be quite the MvC3 apologist. That's fine. It's a fun competitive game, but doesn't really do anything particular well outside of that. Furthermore, it's lacking severely in comparison to not only its predecessor, but also modern peers.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:45:59 AM »
We can agree to disagree on what the important parts of a fighting game are, but you're still being disingenious.

It's a fun competitive game, but doesn't really do anything particular well outside of that.
You can play it online without it shitting itself, and you don't even need to buy an online pass if you got it used. Laffo.

Furthermore, it's lacking severely in comparison to not only its predecessor, but also modern peers.
I figure you're not the type to use practice mode, but it has the most brilliant and comprehensive practice mode ever. It's the one that all fighting games should copy. In MK, you can't even record. They tried to patch it in last I checked, but they botched hilariously (it records both players, not just the dummy, so you can't practice setups AT ALL - correct me if I'm wrong here if they've fixed this recently)

Also it has more characters than every fighting game this year, except SSF4 AE, which has one more.

What is it 'lacking' exactly? Are you saying story mode or fatalities are whatever are more important than playing well and having a diverse roster?

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »
I didn't say it wasn't a value though that's a bit different from my topic.  I'm saying it's too soon and those that bought it new are going feel cheated by those that waited a mere 6 months. 

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:39 AM »
I would say that a story mode is actually pretty important nowadays. It especially seems like a no-brainer when you have such rich characters to work with. Furthermore, I would not consider MvC3's roster very robust for what it is. Apparently I'm not alone, as Capcom is going to remedy that somewhat. I never use practice modes in general, so I don't know how it compares to other games. Mortal Kombat tends to give you a good rundown of the mechanics, move sets, and special moves throughout its story mode and challenge ladder though. While I don't think that a dedicated "training area" should be abandoned in favor of it, I think that integrating some of it into a fleshed out plot helps to ease people in and keep them engaged long enough to actually learn the basics.

I won't disagree with you as to why the game is good. I do think that you're cutting it a bit too much slack in a lot of areas though. The mechanics are great, but it's a very stripped-down product. The fact that Capcom can manage to add so significantly to it within less than a year sort of proves it too.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:47 AM »
Also someone mentioned SSF4 Arcade, it was a standalone but it was also an DLC for those that already owned SSF4.  The DLC was $15 and the standalone was $40.

And lastly if these's rumors are correct, the DLC characters for MvC3 don't transfer meaning you'll have to pay for them again?  That's just plain wrong if it's true.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:18 AM »
Mortal Kombat tends to give you a good rundown of the mechanics, move sets, and special moves throughout its story mode and challenge ladder though.
Story mode doesn't, it just throws you to the wolves. (well, I guess if the wolves were puppies, since it was pretty easy) I didn't play challenge tower - does it teach you how to use all the different stuff to win?

And lastly if these's rumors are correct, the DLC characters for MvC3 don't transfer meaning you'll have to pay for them again?  That's just plain wrong if it's true.
Where did you see that? I believe it was widely understood that they'd transfer, like the DLC from SF4 to SSF4.

I didn't say it wasn't a value though that's a bit different from my topic.  I'm saying it's too soon and those that bought it new are going feel cheated by those that waited a mere 6 months.
Yeah, some people are going to feel cheated, but I don't because the update is a good value. People that skipped buying MvC3 to hold out for the update can pat themselves on the back for saving sixty bucks (I'm assuming they aren't part of the competitive scene and don't mind being bad at the game when it comes out)

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Yeah, some people are going to feel cheated, but I don't because the update is a good value.

Really? You don't feel the least bit slighted by this? You essentially purchased an incomplete game less than a year ago, and now must repurchase it for next to full price if you want to keep up. It feels like Capcom wants to sell their games like EA sells Madden. There really is no excuse for this not to be an add-on. Consoles really have no excuse to skip going the expansion pack route nowadays.

Ethics aside? It looks like a huge improvement. I'm glad that they're expanding the roster to be a bit more like it should have from the get go. I do wish they'd reintroduce more of the "obscure" characters before representing a more prominent title with two (or more) slot though. It's starting to feel a bit like "Resident Evil & Street Fighter vs Marvel". Hehe. I mean, we used to have oddballs like Hayato, Jin, and even Captain Commando. If they wanted to, Capcom could easily segregate their VS games. Just have a "Capcom VS" title with a huge roster of exclusively Capcom characters, or a "Marvel VS" with 100% Marvel characters. *shrugs*

Anyway... All of the real competitive types jumped ship to BlazBlue a long time ago. :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:19:17 PM by Morari »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
Fighting games are like Pokemon.  Never get the first version because the "Champion Edition" is always right around the corner.  There's a reason I own Super Street Fighter IV but not Street Fighter IV.

You can complain about this but it's been the way the fighting genre has worked since the numerous variations of Street Fighter II.  I was never thrilled about the convention but I'm never surprised to see it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
It's funny how Capcom was able to revitalize the 2D fighting genre with Street Fighter IV, and now they're doing all they can to kill it again.  It's like they don't realize that the yearly installments of the same damn game is one of the main reason people got sick of the damn genre in the first place.  Nobody wanted to buy the games anymore because they new a better version would be released a year later, and then another better version after that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »
Really? You don't feel the least bit slighted by this? You essentially purchased an incomplete game less than a year ago, and now must repurchase it for next to full price if you want to keep up.
I put in hundreds of hours into each release, so it's not like I'm not getting my money's worth. I play more MVC3 than any other game right now because it is the best game

Anyway... All of the real competitive types jumped ship to BlazBlue a long time ago. :P:
Uh, no. All the competitive types call it Bad Guilty Gear. MVC3 has the most entered people for EVO this year, and I'm pretty sure BlazBlue has the least or second to least

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
I do wish they'd reintroduce more of the "obscure" characters before representing a more prominent title with two (or more) slot though.

Rocket Raccoon and Phoenix Wright don't fit that bill? If you are fan of obscure, Capcom made 'Tatsunoko vs Capcom' just for that and it makes the game feel very different.

If anything, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 needs more prominent characters right now. It still lacks Megaman and still has no additional characters from the Spider-man franchise.

Either way, if this comes to the Wii U, I will eat it up like candy and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
I wouldn't say that Phoenix Wright is very obscure. It's been a pretty visible series for years. I don't know how many people actually play it though, due to the genre. I'll agree that MvC3 does need more prominent Marvel characters, though. Megaman is at least represented as a franchise by two or three characters.

Uh, no. All the competitive types call it Bad Guilty Gear. MVC3 has the most entered people for EVO this year, and I'm pretty sure BlazBlue has the least or second to least

I meant real cyber-athletes... not those posers. It's okay though, there's no shame in being a casual fan of the genre. Someone needs to lose, after all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:40:58 PM by Morari »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
Cyber-athletes, hahaha. Those people do not deserve to be called athletes because there is zero athletics involved. Tournament players is more like it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »
I meant real cyber-athletes... not those posers. It's okay though, there's no shame in being a casual fan of the genre. Someone needs to lose, after all.

Haha, I love you Morari

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »

Haha, I love you Morari

Quit it. Our sarcasm is going to cancel each other out. :P

Offline ecastlinhutch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
I don't understand this . . .  They didn't need to package this as a whole new game. It could have been DLC.