Author Topic: F-Zero  (Read 55010 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 06:35:27 PM »
Im very ignorant of this new F-Zero and F-Zero X on the N64, I still can't believe I passed it up and didn't even rent it. Now about these attacks, death races and so on can someone explain it all to me?
And there is NO shooting in this new F-Zero is there? I sure hope not. Oh and I happen to like the bright colors on the hover car things.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 06:56:58 PM »
Your side attacks are done by either double-tapping R for a right slam, or double tapping Z for a left slam. Turning left or right when slamming makes your attack stronger, especially when you're doing it against a barrier.
Your spin attack is done by holding down R and Z, and then double-tapping one of them whist still holding down the other button. Again, spinning left or right is up to you.
Death Race is a mode in F-Zero X where the aim is to retire all 29 racers in the quickest time possible. This is done on a looping track. The part of the track where the pink strips are (which refill your energy) has no barriers, and there is a jump right before the starting grid. It is pretty tense, and hellishly addictive. And unlike GP, you can boost from the very beginning.
Samurai Goroh and Michael Chain's vehicles are the ones I use most, cause they are heavy and strong.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Razex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2003, 09:36:04 PM »
What is the L button used for that it can't be used for a slam to the left? Why the hell is the Z button used? And Death Race was awesome.

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2003, 11:30:14 PM »
Razex: These are the controls for the n64 version of the game. In the days when the Z button was far more accessable than the L button.

The one thing i really want to see from a new F-Zero game (the N64 of which i actually went out a bought a few days ago) is the random track generator. I dont know how feasable it will be with the new graphics engine with track details and stuff that the n64 lacked completely.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 01:13:16 AM »
It would be cool if they brought back the random track generator from F-Zero X. I wouldn't expect it to be with full trackside detail, just something to remind us that the tracks aren't suspended in mid-air through the Force or something.

Offline Mephistopheles

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 11:49:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Aretak

Originally posted by: nolimit19
i hate to say it, and i better not get flamed, but is this game online???? and if it isnt it should be.

Not as far as we know, and it's very unlikely it will be.

Well... let's look at the facts.

1)  The game doesn't come out for several months yet... perhaps that's one of the many secrets Nintendo has kept from us about the title... after all, there are supposedly modes in the game we know nothing of.

2)  F-Zero, as a racing game, would be very playable online... much like Mario Kart.  Throwing online onto F-Zero to see how well it works for fans as a sort of testing ground for the new Mario Kart would be a sound idea, especially if Nintendo is genuinely interested in pushing that title online.

3)  F-Zero AC and GC are being developed by a SEGA team... y'know, SEGA?  The biggest online pusher in the business right now?  And not only that, but developer Amusement Vision has experience not only taking games online, but games OF THE SAME GENRE.  Daytona USA comes to mind fondly... and not only that, but Sega also has experience taking arcade games online in Japan, so with Sega handling the arcade unit distribution, who's to say that Nintendo and Sega didn't work out a way to take the game online in both the arcades in Japan and on the console for them as well as us?

It's still a fair possibility... for the time being.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 03:39:48 PM »
Whoa. F-Zero Online. THAT would be something worth getting the modem for. Playing against 29 other human players would be the most brutal matches in history. It would be like a real Podrace! There's gonna be crashes at every turn, slamming at every barrier, fatal falls off 2km high tracks, oh, the possibilities! It would be a REAL championship!

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 04:05:12 PM »
the movie of f-zero on the zelda disc is great ,although i am pretty sure i downloaded it some time before.  does anyone else think the graphics (judging by that video) are somewhat of a mixed bag?  the map with the sunset looking sky and the metal tube with holes in it looks fantastic but mute station looks boring and not flashy enough.  also the graphics look a bit boxy but i guess thats the style of the game ....still i dont lilke it much. anyway, this game is going to rock.
Deftones own.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 04:53:39 PM »
Now that F-Zero has some proper planetary environments, I think that's what the guys at Sega though Mute City/Station would look like.
The one with the tubes (the clear blue one where you're racing inside it, and the red one where you're racing on the outside) look coooooool.
But the one that I like most is the forest one with the clear blue tubes stickin out of the track. That one rocks in the art department. But I think this is going to be exponentially, infinitely better than F-Zero X.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
F-Zero AC should be playable this Friday at AOU 2003.

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2003, 03:55:37 AM »
Since my computer is being stupid, I cant download any videos f-zero So I was wondering, IS the music on f-zero techno remixs or speed metal(does metallica ring a bell)? It doesn't really matter to me, just asking.
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2003, 04:45:55 PM »
The Japan F-Zero site is up. The have a couple screens and a video. The video is like 3 min long and it looks good. They also show what the cabinet looks like. I can't wait.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2003, 05:52:43 PM »
Pardon my French, as they say, but,

The arcade cabinet looks totally BAD-ASS!!

It needs to come to the States now.  Yesterday. Anyway, if any of you can read Japanese, please take a look at the link Mingesium
posted and see if it divulges any details about the Gamcube and Arcade memory card connectivity, then post your finding here.  I would appreciate it very much.

"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2003, 06:41:55 PM »
OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u havent checked out the new video then download it NOW!!! After seiing that vid i can easily say that this is THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN F&(^*&KIN CREDIBLE!! I cant beleive my eyes!!!!! This will be the best game ever and the game that will revitalize GC and put nintendo back where they belong, NUMBER ONE!!! OMG, DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!! BEST. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2003, 09:36:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u havent checked out the new video then download it NOW!!! After seiing that vid i can easily say that this is THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN F&(^*&KIN CREDIBLE!! I cant beleive my eyes!!!!! This will be the best game ever and the game that will revitalize GC and put nintendo back where they belong, NUMBER ONE!!! OMG, DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!! BEST. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and yes.  I just downloaded the video.  This game looks to be the stuff of legends. Legends, I say.  The worlds are expasive and detailed beyond my ability to comprehend it.  Words are not enough.  Those of you who have yet to do so, download that video.  For all you who said there are no must have games for the Cube, look no further; this game is must have.

And to answer your question sequoia, all the music I have heard so far have been techno remixs, but one of the techno tracks had some guitar wailing in it.  Still, hopefully they'll have some speed metal too.  I would like me some of that.  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2003, 10:18:31 PM »
Sorry about the smell by the way, i stepped on some Quantum Redshift on my way in.

DONT JUST SIT THERE, DOWNLOAD THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2003, 12:45:49 AM »
I'm hosting trailer for everyone too get here. Friggin' SWEEEEET. Just right click and save target as.

F-Zero GC Trailer    
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2003, 01:55:14 AM »

How amazing is that trailer?
The speed, effects and tracks are unbelievable!

Thank you Sega!
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline Sir Pinch-a-Loaf

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2003, 02:36:58 AM »
Just curious if anyone knows whether, as an incentive to own the GC version and play the arcade version, if they will feature different tracks?
What, you thought you wasn't gonna see me?  I'm the Osiris of this s**t.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2003, 02:49:13 AM »
Yes they do feature different tracks according to N-Query at cube.ign.com.

This new footage is so amazing, must be the best graphics so far on the GCN, and the best graphics of any racer ever.
Even hurts more to wait.
US RELEASE DATE?
LZ 2005

Offline egman

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2003, 05:19:15 AM »
I am completely blown away!

The video on the Zelda bonus disk barely even hinted at the kind of action I just saw in this trailer. If this is a sign of things to come from the whole Triforce relationship, then we are in for some really amazing games.

Oh man if Sega, Namco and Nintendo went further than this and just merged together into on entity, it would be the ultimate gamers' heaven. The sheer quality would blow apart the competition. With all the doom and gloom that I have seen lately about Nintendo's performance, it's things like these that should remind us that these are truly great times for Nintendo fans.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2003, 06:26:03 AM »
I don't like the way there are different tracks for the GC and Arcade versions.  If I'm buying the f*cking game I should be able to get all of the tracks.  Odds are a lot of people who buy the game will live in areas that don't have any major arcades and therefore won't have access to the arcade version.  At the very least they could have made it so you can download the arcade tracks to your memory card to play them at home.  Maybe they are doing that since I have yet to read a clear description of what the memory cards are used for in the arcade version.  It certainly would be more user friendly and would give people an incentive to try both versions and not feel ripped off.

The game still looks wicked cool but it's F-Zero so I wouldn't expect anything less.  Is there a cockpit view in this game?  I haven't watched the new trailer yet so if it explained in there I don't know yet.  The other F-Zero games didn't have cockpit view and I found that rather disappointing.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2003, 07:07:02 AM »
I just read the interview that PGC had with AU and they said that there are currently no plans for F-Zero online
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline egman

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2003, 07:11:57 AM »
I don't have too much of a problem with different tracks. It's similar to Namco's policy making their arcade ports more than arcade perfect. It gives the consumer who is likely to play the AC game to death a reason to purchase it on a console.

I do agree about the availabilty of arcades. Arcades are in decline in the US, so chances are many of us on this board will miss out on the AC version of F-0. I wish it wasn't that way because I find the arcade experince to be the equivalent of going to the movies while the console is like a home theater system. The latter can come close, but not without investing a whole lot of dough in your display and sound system.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2003, 07:45:18 AM »
"It's similar to Namco's policy making their arcade ports more than arcade perfect. It gives the consumer who is likely to play the AC game to death a reason to purchase it on a console."

The Namco policy would have equaled MORE tracks for the console version instead of DIFFERENT tracks.  There's a huge difference.  If the Cube version of F-Zero has different tracks then it isn't even arcade perfect let alone "more than arcade perfect."

No online also sucks but I imagine that's Nintendo's decision instead of Sega's.  It's rather disconcerning considering the game likely could have been online and that doesn't make Mario Kart Online sound like such a realistic possibility.  Odds are Nintendo simply chose to make the game offline because if it was due to another issue like lag they likely would have said outright in the interview "we wanted to make it online but couldn't."  I personally don't see how having barebones peer-to-peer online as an extra feature even with lag is a bad thing but then I also thought CDs were a better choice than cartridges so I what do I know?