Author Topic: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Game Over!  (Read 69293 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Game Over!
« on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
Hosting Lesson: Now, as a host of Safe Words, it is up to you if the game includes any narrative hook or purpose. Maybe you just have a selection of words based on a theme and that's good enough for you. Let the players make a joke or two and play the game through in the basic fashion it was created. Nothing wrong with that as a narrative can make things trickier and sometimes harder to post about as the game advances and continues. I've done different variations myself and I can't say I've seen much difference in player engagement with a greater narrative focus compared to a lesser one. Thus, the only reason to make the job harder with a bigger narrative is to score style points and feel like you've accomplished a big job. However, I don't feel the need for complicating things and proving anything as a host so I'm not going to go that route. Still, I do like to have some simple reason or purpose for why players are selecting words. Having some angle for the game does give a host a little something else to work with to keep one's posts varied and interesting as the game goes on.

Thinking about this game, with its random basis being picking various songs from an old variety album, there's not much rhyme or reason behind that. It's kind of silly and pointless so perhaps the hook should be also. But what kind of narrative purpose can there be? I'll admit this might be the trickiest part for a host if you opt to include a narrative. I checked out events of music in 1990 when the CD was released. Nothing really inspired me there but it did give me a couple ideas for eliminations. I thought about if I was an record studio head or radio station manager and the other players were agents trying to bribe me to record or play something from their client. While it had potential, it didn't make sense as rounds went on and different players selected different songs and artists. All these bands are constantly swapping and changing agents? I wondered about framing it as a musical competition like American Idol or the Voice where players are covering different songs. A bit better to using as a theme. But it just wasn't quite stupid or over the top enough for me. Going back to the agent route, I wondered about me being the agent of these bands but what am I trying to do with them and the players selecting them? What if the players were singers or bands and I was trying to get them to play these songs? Perhaps a bad performance of the song ruins their career? Getting closer but not quite right. Oh! What if the players are big name performers (heck, this could even allow for some role play as any artist performing back in 1990) and I'm trying to get them to hire these artists as their opening act and things go awry from there?  :o  Ah, now that's got pretty good and leaves things open ended for me to come up with dumb eliminations. I can sense I'll probably still be challenged with quickly figuring out a musical disaster when it is time to eliminate a player but I'll just have to do the best I can when those bomb words hit.

Now, if I'm going to be an agent at the dawn of the 90s then I'm going to be a smarmy, wild partying, cocaine fueled con man out to wheel and deal to do all I can to get all the profit I can before the clock expires on the public's appreciation of my client's music. Did a Google search on scummy music agent. Got no real results. Tried terrible music agent but again a bit of a bust. Then I decided to try wild party man and the first image is a winner!

Just call me Treize "King Gong" Khushrenada, agent to the music stars!

And with that, it's time to get this party started and have a profitable 1990!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:03:28 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 1!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
List of Musical Acts

49ers - Don't You Love Me
Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Partyline
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Jimmy Somerville - Read My Lips (Enough is Enough)
JT and the Big Family - Moments in Soul
Mantronix - Got To Have Your Love
Orbital - Chime
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
Technotronic - This Beat is Technotronic

Order of Player Rotation

BeautifulShy
nickmitch
Mr. Bungle
Discord.RSS
NWR_Insanolord
Stratos
Mop it up
TOPHATANT123
MASB

Final Placement

9. Stratos
8. nickmitch
7. Mop it up
6. BeautifulShy
5. Discord.RSS
4. MASB
3. TOPHATANT123
2. NWR_insanolord
1. Mr. Bungle

Hosting Tip - I like to have this second post after the introduction with the info of selections and rotation. It allows me to have a spot I can easily return to in order to keep track of without having to go through past posts in rounds to find what is still available and who is selecting next. Updating this at the end of a round keeps it useful and is great when it is time to hand out the points for the game as the final placement for players is here now too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:03:07 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:41 PM »
A quick reiteration of the rules and how the game is played

There is a list of musical acts that will be used throughout the game. At the start of each round, the player that is in the last spot for the rotation of that round will secretly select a musical act from the list. That choice will be kept hidden from the remaining players and sent to me via pm. That selected word will then be the bomb word for that round.

After the bomb word is chosen, the remaining players must all choose an option from the list. Every time an option is chosen, it is removed from the list for that round. No two players can select the same choice in the same round. If a player does not choose the bomb word from the list when they make their selection then they are safe for that round and move on to the next. If a player selects the bomb word, they are eliminated from the game and the bomb word is removed from the list for the rest of the game.

If none of the players ahead of the final person in the rotation select the bomb word then the player who chose it to start the round is forced to take their own bomb word since it is the only thing left to select and they will be eliminated by it.

The game is played until there is only one player still left standing and that player is declared the winner.

Order of players chosen

Here's a chance for a host to get creative or not. You could just simply base the rotation on the order players signed up to play the game but that's boring. For this game, I decided to base the rotation on the last letter of a player's Custom Title in reverse alphabetical order (from Z-A). In cases where player's had the same last letter, I then when to the second last letter of their title as the tiebreak. So wild!

Message reminders

I will send a pm to all players alerting them to the fact the game has begun even though some of you may have seen this thread up already. I will most likely send out a pm when it is a players turn to choose for their first choice just to help everyone get back in the rhythm of checking in for Safe Words. After that, it is up to the players to remember to check in on their own unless they notify me to send them a reminder for when it is their turn to choose.

Waiting for a selection

A generous time of 2 days (48 hours) is given for a player to select a phrase. If they've requested for me to send them a reminder when it is their turn, a message will be sent to alert them of that fact as soon as it is their time to choose. If a choice has not been made by the end of the total 48 hour period, the player will be automatically given the bomb word choice and removed from the game. The 48 hours begins from the timestamp of the post I make in this thread asking for their selection in the round.

Game on.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »
And Round 1 is on!

MASB is the one to select the Bomb Word to start this game and I already have his selection. That means we can go straight to the player at the top of the rotation to make the first selection and that is  BeautifulShy!

Let's make a deal! Which of these hot acts with a hit song do you want to open for your concert in Topeka, Kansas?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:07:53 PM »
Quote from: Khushrenada
Quote from: Mop it up
Oh whoops I almost missed this!
May I ask how you almost missed this?
Mainly I just don't spend as much time on NWR / the Internet anymore. I think I may have seen the signups a while ago, but got distracted by the Direct stuff and forgot to go back for a while.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »
But, but, but if you're not using the internet and checking this site then other users will start doing it too and then we'll see the internet shut down from inactivity just like Blockbuster Video! Then where will I be able to post my hilarious comments and well-rounded takes on the issues of today? Guess I better start investing in some carrier pigeons! Thanks a lot, Mop!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
Orbital - Chime

Now that's what I call a mixtape!
As representative of Discord Diss reCords I'd like to place a Disc Order for dis record!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:13:36 AM »
A mixtape of love to the forums!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »
Okay so I have to pick the first song. Let me take a look at the list....

Orbital - Chime

Let's go with Paula Abdul- Opposites Attract.

There are so many different types of people and yet we all gravitated here and that is nice to see.  Sure we have lots of discussions and disagree a lot on here but for the most part we do find a middle ground. 

We are just attracted to opposite discussions here.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 01:07:38 AM »
For reference for those that want to listen to the songs to get you in the theme of this game here are the songs.

49ers- Don't You Love Me- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20IGyxZSS8I

Bizz Nizz- Don't Miss The Party Line-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntQCH8Y7ng

Depeche Mode- Enjoy the Silence-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY

Jimmy Somerville- Read My Lips (Enough is Enough) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R17_MvBc3DE

JT and the Big Family- Moments in Soul- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXBUyB_n-s

Mantronix- Got To Have Your Love- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_dNHwlBzM

Orbital- Chime-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X8iGAZmm5c

Paula Abdul- Opposites Attract- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

TechnoTronic- This Beat is Technotronic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ufo1o82qlQ
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:12:38 AM »
BeautifulShy's choice is a success and she adds more dates to her tour!

Nickmitch is next in line! What act does he want to have open for him in Tijuana, Mexico?

Orbital - Chime

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
*A harmonica beautifully plays*

Bahbum bumbah babah bah bah
Bahbum bumbah babah bah bah

Thanks everybody! You know, I was a little wary of coming to the NWR Forums. I was told that one of your most esteemed citizens, a certain James Jones, referred to my music as nose flute music. Jason Ricci and the New Blood aren't about that negative scene. We try to send off nothing but positive vibes. So I thought I'd ignore the one bad apple and hang out with all the cool cats here!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »

Can't go wrong with a little Depeche Mode. 8)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
And nickmitch's choice is a hit! I rake in a nice of change from the ticket sales. Boo-yah!

And now I hear Mr. Bungle is looking for an opening act. I've got the following still free to be booked:

Orbital - Chime

Who will you choose?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »

The year is 1990 and Mr. Bungle has just scored a major record label deal with Warner Brothers thanks to the success of lead singer Mike Patton's other band Faith No More. Mike mentions how Faith No More covered "Pump Up the Jam" on their last tour and suggests Technotronic as the opening act for Mr. Bungle.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
It's a musical match made in heaven and there is now talk of Mr. Bungle being nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy.

Now we come to the insidious secret villain of the forums who's been trying to subtly shut them down by advertising for the competition: Discord.RSS! What musical act will this modern day fifth columnist choose to help spread their propaganda?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »
I am dealing with a newborn now so would appreciate the pm reminder when it is my turn if it isn't too much to ask for. Been difficult to keep track of much of anything presently. Either an NWR pm or message on discord should get the message to me to check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
Us here at Discord Records are a youthful bunch, hip with the kids, and ace with the raves. We've already got our own drug Nitro (ask your local distributor), so now all we'll need to really pump up this jam in the licensed Discordtheque (ask for terms & conditions), is for the DJ to Chime in with a beat that'll send us into Orbital!

I am dealing with a newborn now so would appreciate the pm reminder when it is my turn if it isn't too much to ask for. Been difficult to keep track of much of anything presently. Either an NWR pm or message on discord should get the message to me to check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.

Congrats Stratos, hope all goes well!!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 12:35:07 AM »
The booking of Orbital helps put the Discordtheque on the map as the place to be for hip new music.

I've heard word that NWR_insanolord is trying for find an opening act so allow me to offer the following to choose from:

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 12:36:48 AM »

Duly noted. A lesson for everyone. Be like Stratos. Don't let your kids come between you and having a good time.  ;)

Offline MASB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 03:22:57 AM »
Hey, guys! The concert will start soon. Just shuffling some things behind the scenes!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 03:54:28 AM »
Congrats on being a parent Stratos!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 11:38:32 AM »
I am dealing with a newborn now so check in if I've fallen into the quantum realm of parenting.
Congratulations Stratos! The world needs some fresh lazy meme pirates.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 06:40:01 PM »
I guess I'll go with Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Partyline.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »
His name's Insanolord and he like to party! Don't miss is a can't miss and music fans go wild.

Next up is children's entertainer Stratos! Which of these acts will he be taking?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 10:18:55 PM »
Gonna go with JT and the Big Family - Moments in Soul
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »
Looks like I half hijacked this thread to be my baby announcement thread ;) Thanks for the well wishes all. Wife had a beautiful baby girl. Had some minor complications but after a week in the hospital momma and baby are home safe. Its our first so been a major learning experience. Thankfully between my awesome company and local state family leave program I get three months of paid leave to stay home and be fully there with the family. I thought that would mean some extra time for games between feedings but its not quite gone that smoothly yet.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 02:31:53 AM »
Unfortunately, the new baby has caused Stratos to be a bit sleep-deprived. Thus, he was not at his best when performing leading to this unfortunate moment:

Now recuperating in the hospital, Stratos had to cancel all upcoming tour dates which means JT and the Big Family won't get their big break either by being able to open for him. With no one else hiring them for fear they are a jinx there's only one thing for this agent to do and that's cut them loose because they're of no value to me anymore.

That said, I still have a reputation to keep and I need to show everyone that you can't wiggle out of a contract with me like Stratos is trying to do by getting injured so I arranged to have the hospital where he is staying blown up.

Now that's what I call... very persuasive. :evil;

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:57 AM »
So, with his selection of the bomb word, Stratos brings an end to Round 1. That means Insanolord gets control of the bomb word to start Round 2.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Oh no Stratos!!!   The dream of being a family man and going on tour was too much for him and he fell off the stage and into the hospital.    King Gong is one of those types of agents which work you till you are grinded down into dust and he what?!?  Blew up the hospital!!!  That is wild. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
Yes, that's the events I'm going with. It's all true. Don't question it further....

Insanolord has selected a new bomb word. Round 2 is now on!

Mop it up has the first selection in Round 2. She can choose from the following acts:

Orbital - Chime

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 2!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
Nooooo Stratos you were the chosen one! Even had a family themed song. This is messed up Khush. I'm reporting this thread for multiple breaches of the Geneva convention.  >:(

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
You're only realizing this game is messed up now?

Maybe this will push me into the Top 5 of the Geneva Convention's Most Wanted list. King Gong is going to the top, baby!!!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence because I do indeed enjoy silence, quiet down in here with all this noise! Just a buncha noise!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
Story is very unnecessary
When there is no harm

Mop it up is safe. Our next contestant to try their luck is TOPHATANT123! He can select from the following:

Orbital - Chime

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
All right Mr Gong, I've listened to your demo, and well... There's going to have to be some changes.

There's this one song however, couldn't get it out of my head! How does it go? Badum cha, badum cha, yeah that's it, Jimmy Somerville - Read My Lips (Enough is Enough). Book 'im, I want the lawyers down there with the paperwork before close.

Oh and congratulations Stratos!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »
My demo? You mean a sampling of the artists I represent? (Or did I make a demo at some point and not remember it after a night of hard partying....?)

The contract is agreed upon, the deal is done and the match-up of TOPHATANT123 and Jimmy Somerville is a total success. (Something I definitely expected to be typing on these forums when 2021 began a couple months ago.) However, it turns out it is never enough as the fans want more so it is back to the recording studio for TOPPY!

And now we come to the man who's initials are My Amazing Stratos Bomb, MASB! The true guilty party! Can this harmonica man find an act that works within his sphere of musical expertise?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »
So much for making it a family act! Better luck going back to being a solo artist ;)
My Game Collection

Offline MASB

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »
My career may be on the upswing! Some character named Qui-Gon Khush wants me to do a benefit concert for a hospital. Usually you do this stuff to help buy some equipment or build a new wing onto the hospital. But apparently, this benefit is to build a new one from scratch! I feel honored that they asked me to get in on the ground floor. Little fuzzy on what happened to the old hospital. People act like it went up in smoke...

I was asked to do a cover song for this performance. Here's one for all the ladies! Mantronix - Got To Have Your Love

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 03:01:58 AM »
MASB and the New Blood's benefit concert is a huge hit and exceeds the donation expectations. Not only did I get a share of those proceeds but it seems like I may end up getting a hospital named after me. This may turn out to be the best sabotage work I've done in my life to this point!

It sounds like BeautifulShy has now added a tour into the heartland and needs an opening act again for these new dates. Such short notice! I'm afraid all I have to offer at this point are:

Orbital - Chime

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 04:16:06 AM »
Heading into the heartland I ponder to myself, should I cater to the people and sing something that they like or something that works for me.  Anyone that knows me knows that I tend to march to the beat of my own drum.   Something me and with a nice jumpy beat.

I am sure everyone will love 49er's Don't You Love Me.

It is a song that has a nice beat and brings about self adoration. Sometimes it is nice to get that going for oneself to lift up said person.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
BeautifulShy's "My Own Nice Jumpy Drum Beat" Tour connects with the fans and the tour is a big $ucce$$. I'm going to be like Scrooge McDuck here if this all keeps up! Of course, I'll actually need to save up some money instead of BLOW-ing most of it to make that happen. That's a pun there!

On that matter, I better keep my river of cash flowing. nickmitch is looking for an opening act again as he now does a Caribbean tour. Who is going to join him for some fun in the sun?

Orbital - Chime

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 12:12:11 AM »
Aw, jeeze.  Is it hot in here, or is it just me?  What was in that pill you gave me?  Am I supposed to be this sweaty?  And who the hell is Molly?

Nevermind, I'm just gonna dance this off.  Let's put on some Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 01:30:02 AM »
In his effort to get comfortably numb, nickmitch suffers some consequences from the mix of pills given to him by one of his roadies and loses touch with reality. The reason it is so hot in here is that he has stumbled into a volcano and mistaken the bright lights and loud roaring for a concert arena.

After giving what he thought was an awesome performance for an hour, he then made the unwise decision to really hype up "the crowd" by jumping into it for some crowdsurfing.

(Pulled a Micheal Jackson and went white too according to that picture. ;) )

A sudden eruption of lava caused by the disturbance of nickmitch's burning body was the finale to this sad chain of events.

Meanwhile, the whole experience has got my client so upset at me for locking her into this tour fiasco that she's used it to fire me as her manager and hire someone else. Well, whatever. Just some one-hit wonder. I'm sure no one will be thinking of Paula Abdul in a few years and I don't think her next album is going to be all that hot. I got plenty of other clients who don't want to make love to anthropomorphic cats. I say this is still a victory for me.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2021, 01:36:53 AM »
nickmitch has chosen the bomb word for this round and has been eliminated. That means control of the bomb word has shifted to BeautifulShy.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2021, 01:37:05 AM »
And on a different note, although I made a dismissive remark about it in the story, I actually do like Paula Abdul's second album, Spellbound.

I listened to this a lot as a kid. Whenever I'd go driving with my parents, I'd always want them to put this in the cassette player of the car (how OLD AM I?) or would put it into the home stereo system and listen to it. I had the songs all memorized for a time. Writing this little blurb up got me to look that album and those songs up and, man, the memories of this stuff can rush rush-ing back. Maybe there's some nostalgia there but I still thing some of the songs on that album are fantastic. Can't believe I'd forgotten about it all these years.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 3!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Bomb word has been selected and Round 3 is now on!

Mr. Bungle is the player who starts this round. Which act will he choose to kick things off?

Orbital - Chime

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

Our second album, Disco Volante, is perhaps our most experimental. Released in 1995 the album blends everything from Death Metal to Tango. But there is a very strong Italian influence. The album title itself is Italian for "Flying Saucer" and the track "Violenza Domestica" is sung completely in Italian. For most people the album is too difficult to understand but I remember Gianfranco Bortolotti really digging it and asking us to collaborate on a follow up to 49ers-Don't You Love Me that would be released the next year as the single "Lovin' You"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:29:31 PM by Mr. Bungle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »

Disco Volante? I'm pretty sure that's the ship of the villain in Thunderball, SPECTRE's number 2, where they keep the warheads. *Click on the link* Yep, confirmed. I know my Bond trivia.

Mr. Bungle's collaboration is a smart choice and anticipation is now growing on what their next album may have in store.

Next up is Discord.RecordSS. What tubular and gnarly act do they want to have further their reputation as the hip place to be for music lovers of the day?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2021, 11:41:43 AM »
Don't Miss the Partyline!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »
Bizz Nizz is booming and the Discordtheque is rockin' thanks to their party anthem. All is well in the world of Discord Records.

Meanwhile, Insanolord has been asked to put a show during the halftime of a Cleveland Browns game. Which musical act will he hire to assist him for the performance?

Orbital - Chime

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2021, 06:41:02 PM »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
But the crowd goes wild and it isn't enough for them. They want more from Insanolord so he begins playing at other sporting venues.

Now we come back to Mop it up. What opening act does she want to select for her tour?

Orbital - Chime

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »
Orbital - Chime! Turn that hippie racket off!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2021, 05:04:16 PM »
Apparently jealous at how well the music of Orbital was being received by the crowd in Buffalo, Mop it up decided to start off her set by denigrating their sound and complaining that mixing noises from a computer wasn't true musical and artistic talent like hers. She then went on a rant about the burgeoning electronic music scene which ended up turning the crowd against her.

Upset at the crowd booing her, she then decided to dig in and insult the hometown crowd by telling them how much Buffalo, New York sucked and so did everyone who lived in it. This caused a further frenzy in the crowd as they began to continue throwing whatever they could leading to this moment:

After that touchdown pass, Mop it up wobbled around the stage dizzy and fell into the cannon for a fireworks display meant for the end of the show. The impact of her fall in triggered the machine to go off. It blasted her high into the sky where she ended up sailing out of the Buffalo city limits.

Seeing her blast out of the city, along with the fireworks display, did end up getting a loud cheer from the crowd. In the end, she was still able to win them over like the consummate performer she is. Unfortunately, it just ended up being her last concert. Ask not for whom the bell chimes, it chimes for thee.

Meanwhile, Orbital was so upset about the whole thing they decided to go back to the UK and end their contract with me. Why couldn't they have fallen in the fireworks machine? Then at least I'd have gotten a substantial settlement from insurance! It's always the music agent that suffers.  :(

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »
That means that.... oh god... Insanolord gets to choose another bomb word! Hooray.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »
Orbital - Chime! Turn that hippie racket off!

Fun fact about these two choices.  I almost went with Read my Lips but changed it to Chime before submitting my bomb word choice. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2021, 06:45:57 PM »
Sheesh! When did I become the dunce of Safe Words?!

Did you choose this one because no one had picked it yet?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »
Bummer Mop.  :(
I was gonna pick Chime twice in a row cos it's a real banger, glad I stuck to the partyline instead.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »

I wanted to go with one that was kinda out there and not picked often so eventually someone would have to pick it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 11:57:18 PM »

I mean, you weren't the first one out this game so that's an improvement, right?  :-\  Need to get Lucario back here. He's either first or worst.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2021, 12:35:00 AM »
Bummer Mop.  :(
I was gonna pick Chime twice in a row cos it's a real banger, glad I stuck to the partyline instead.

By the way, we all familiar with Orbital here?

Their second album, Orbital 2 also known as the Brown Album was included in the 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die book series along with their third album, Snivilisation. Personally, I find Snivilisation a mixed bag but Orbital 2 is pretty solid aside from the trivial audio manipulations that bookend the open and close of the album. I also quite enjoy their first album.

I ended up buying a collection of their first 5 albums which encompasses all their work of the 90s. I'd say I'd prefer In Sides (their 4th) a bit more than Snivilization. It helps that the album includes a remix of The Saint theme song which I do enjoy. (On another aside, not a big fan of the Val Kilmer movie but have watched plenty episodes of the TV Show starring Roger Moore.) The 5th album is unfortunately kind of bland which is my feeling about the 6th and 7th although one may find something to like in them. Their 8th album (Wonky) is worth a listen and is probably the best album since their early work. Like Snivilization its got some stuff I do like and some I don't care if I ever hear it again. Still, if you find you like the sound of Orbital then you may want to check out.

And going back to their first album, maybe it is just me but when I heard their song Belfast it triggered memories of David Wise and his classic Forest Interlude from DKC2 but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, enough of the serious stuff. I've got a freshly selected bomb word and a Round 4 that I know you players want to get into!  8)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 4!
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2021, 12:37:13 AM »
We now return to that masterful cover artist TOPHATANT123. Which song is he wanting to use in his act this time?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2021, 05:52:52 AM »
The concert is in two weeks and you're telling me there's still no opener! This is a disaster, an outright disaster. I don't care who you get, just get someone. Anyone will do. Here, use my contact with Bizz Nizz - Don't Miss The Partyline if you have to.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2021, 11:09:48 AM »
It's not a disaster if you give them the Bizz Nizz. Thanks to TOPHATANT123's swift action, the Catalina Wine Mixer is a big success!

Time to check back in with MASB and see what act I can trick tempt him into hiring this time. Will it be:

Offline MASB

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2021, 02:42:10 PM »
I seem to have become the benefit man. Now this shady character with shades, King Gong, wants me to do a benefit for a girl that got hit with a football. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! "Oh. my nose!" indeed! Feels a bit of a step down from helping a hospital. Especially since I'm getting reports of malfeasance about that previous effort.

But I'll give this Gong guy one more chance. I managed to pull in one of the best rock bands ever! Well, actually just Vince Clarke, who was with them for a year. But, hey, a year of greatness is better than none at all! Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »
The crowd gets to Enjoy the Silence, Mop it up gets a moment of silence and I get to enjoy all that moo-lah! With Mop it up dead, there's no one to give the money to so I get to pocket it all and no one is the wiser. After a wild week in Vegas, I seem to be in debt to the mob so I need to get some more cash stat.

Fortunately, BeautifulShy is now touring the malls of the Great Northwest so I'll use that connection to push one of my clients on her and start getting some of the green. I wonder which one she'll take?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »
The crowd gets to Enjoy the Silence, Mop it up gets a moment of silence and I get to enjoy all that moo-lah! With Mop it up dead, there's no one to give the money to so I get to pocket it all and no one is the wiser. After a wild week in Vegas, I seem to be in debt to the mob so I need to get some more cash stat.

Fortunately, BeautifulShy is now touring the malls of the Great Northwest so I'll use that connection to push one of my clients on her and start getting some of the green. I wonder which one she'll take?

Oh so I am Tiffany in the 80s going on mall tours just starting out? Sounds good. I think for my single on this tour will be Mantronix, Got to have your love. 

Fun fact Tiffany remastered her hit from the 80's I think We're Alone Now in 2019.
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmeJ2VsCs-0
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »
Well, it turns out that Tiffany also assumed BeautifulShy was trying to the new Tiffany and Tiffany wasn't going to let anyone else out-Tiffany the real Tiffany! The mall tour business was hers and she was not going to have any competition in the mall tour circuit. Tiffany appeared at a BeautifulShy concert to ask,

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" and then proceeded to perform her own set while BeautifulShy was trying to perform hers. This led to a slap-fight with Mantronix in the middle trying to calm things down but instead it escalated as Tiffany fans then began to clash with the BeautifulShy fans leading to an all-out brawl across the mall.

You'd think everybody was kung-fu fighting since it was a little bit frightning.

Even the mall cops peaced out on the shenanigans happening around them.

Eventually, the fight reached the Dick's Sporting Goods store and the fishing aisle where combatants started grabbing the dynamite and throwing it at each other causing major damage to the mall including one explosion that took out Mantronix and sent to Tiffany to the hospital.

In the end, BeautifulShy got sued by all partied for all the damages and bankrupted as well as being blacklisted from the music industry. However, they say that people are still fighting at various malls today all over the world over who had a better mall tour between BeautifulShy and Tiffany so be careful where you park your car the next time you go shopping.

Now That's What I Call... Action!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:39:28 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2021, 08:38:36 PM »
With the elimination of BeautifulShy, that marks the end of Round 4 and the halfway point of this game. The bomb word selection returns to MASB. We now wait for that decision.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 5!
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2021, 11:47:26 PM »
Alright! Round 5 is ready to go. MASB said he was trying to send a reply to me but the forum software couldn't find a user with my name. Not sure why it had that problem but if anyone else encounters an issue with sending me a message let me know by posting about it here or elsewhere on the forums. I may have to change my username or just get the selection through Discord.

But enough waiting, Mr. Bungle has been ringing my phone non-stop for the past 24 hours for me to send him a list of what's so hot in the music scene right now for him to collaborate with so here it is, the current creme de la creme:

What fits your style?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »

With our third album California we completed the 3 album deal we had with Warner and also made our most approachable album to date. We dropped a lot of the heavy metal but kept our schizophrenic style of blending disjoint genres, this time dipping into everything from doo-wop to kecak. But the whole feud with the Chili Peppers really came to a head and Warner delayed our album release to distance it from Californication. Next thing we know we are getting dropped from festivals that RHCP was performing at. So we are trying to make up and play nice and we heard that John Frusciante really likes Violator by Depeche Mode. That's the album with Enjoy the Silence right? We asked King Gong if he could connect us with Depeche Mode in hopes that we find some common ground with John and the rest of the band. I really hope Gong doesn't screw this up.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers? Screw those guys! If there's a heaven, they won't be allowed in it!

You better believe King Gong will come through! Depeche Mode delivers the silence and Californication is never heard of again!

Next up is Discord.RSS. Apparently they need one of my clients for some inter-company project. I better call them back to find out which one they want out of:

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:39 PM »
What's happening, did all the ladies leave early because we're playing boring slow jamz? How we gonna Pump Up The Jam with just us dudes?
Looks like we'll be having a Boy Dance Party, maybe talk about fitness & 'toids?

Only one option for gym talk: Technotronic! 

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2021, 11:16:46 PM »
What's happening, did all the ladies leave early because we're playing boring slow jamz? How we gonna Pump Up The Jam with just us dudes?
Looks like we'll be having a Boy Dance Party, maybe talk about fitness & 'toids?

Only one option for gym talk: Technotronic! 

Unfortunately, while the beat may be Technotronic, the music producer assigned to the song felt it needed more cowbell.

After several clashes over this desire, Technotronic decided to break the contract and flee the music scene. Undeterred, the executives at Discord Records pushed away with their remixed version feeling they didn't need Technotronic's input. "This Beat Is Technotronic just sounded like a poor rerun of Pump Up The Jam anyways," one executive named Steefosaurus was quoted as saying.

Unfortunately, when the remixed version hit the Discordtheque, it confused the crowd and died.

Suddenly, the Discordtheque was no longer the place to be and music fans started going to a new more hip place. The plummeting ticket sales forced Discord Records to shut down the place. Upon hearing how music fans had left the Discordtheque, music artists didn't want to sign with Discord Records for fear of  having fans dismiss their stuff as out of touch and not totally tubular. With artist now leaving them in droves, Discord Records suddenly found itself bankrupt and was forced to shut down. Soon, the building was demolished to make way for a new Blockbuster video store.

As for Steefosaurus, all anyone knows is that he ended up destitute and telling everyone he met how the beat is most definitely NOT Technotronic!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2021, 11:19:34 PM »
That concludes Round 5 and gives us our Final Four.

Let's take a moment to examine the players who've made it this far.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:25:25 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2021, 11:30:00 PM »
Mr. Bungle - This is only his second time playing Safe Words but he has made it to the final four for the second time. As you may recall, Season 3 of Safe Words will only consist Safe Words 16, 17 and 18. Strangely enough, 3 of the Final Four players in 16 have made it to the Final Four in this game. It's going to be a tight finish to win this season if this keeps up. Last game, Mr. Bungle finished in 3rd falling behind TOPHATANT123 and MASB. Will history repeat itself or will Mr. Bungle get his revenge and come out the victor this time? He has control of the bomb word for Round 6. Will he be able to use that to his advantage or will it backfire? We shall have to see.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2021, 12:09:29 AM »
NWR_Insanolord - Of the four players in the Final Four of this game, none have as much experience as Insanolord who has played in every game (and never hosted one >:( ). And possible no one has suffered as much in this game as he has. Despite 16 tries, he has yet to win a game. In the meantime, he is the player with the most first round eliminations having had this happen three times and is the only player to have lost in the opening round in back to back games. (However, it should be noted that with Stratos first round elimination this game, he now ties Insanolord for the most opening round losses. On the other hand, Stratos did manage to win a game once....)

Yet, despite those ignominious facts, Insanolord does have some impressive records to his name. This is his 7th appearance in a Safe Words Final Four putting him solely in possession of the number 2 spot for Most Final Four Appearances by a Player in Safe Words. He was tied with Stratos who both had 6 appearances coming into this game dropping Stratos to 3rd overall. ShyGuy is the number one player with 8 appearances in the Final Four. (But he hasn't played since Safe Words 15. Wither ShyGuy?  :( ) Insanolord is also tied with Stratos, ShyGuy and now TOPHATANT123 for Most Consecutive Final Four Appearances by doing it 3 games in a row. Those three players are tied at 2nd as only UncleBob has managed to appear in more Consecutive Final Fours than any other player by doing it four times in a row. Yet despite making it to the Final Four 6 times previously, the best Insanolord has managed to rank is 2nd place. He has made it to the Final Round 3 times and lost it each time to finish second. This makes him the all-time leader for players who have lost in the Final Round by placing 0-3. He's also the only player to have placed second and lost the Final Round in back-to-back games. (Safe Words 14 and 15). UncleBob and Stratos are tied for second in Most Final Round losses. UB went 0 - 2 and Stratos is currently 1 - 2 having pulled off one victory in his three appearance in the Final Round.

He signed up for this game saying he was coming for second place. Will he actually even get that far? Will those words be hauntingly prophetic? Will he become the Buffalo Bills of Safe Words? Or will he finally break the cycle of Safe Words suffering and win one of these damn things? Are we engaging in war crimes by having him play these games and endure further mental anguish? Or is still kind of funny? I don't know but in three more rounds, we will have a definitive answer. In the meantime, Insanolord may want to grab a Snickers.

Old Snickers Commercial
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:13:28 AM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 12:30:41 AM »
TOPHATANT123 - Here is a player who has been on fire of late. This is TOPHATs 9th time playing Safe Words yet he has twice won this game and been the last player standing. With his Final Four appearance this game, it marks the third consecutive game that he has made it to the Final Four (Safe Words 15, 16 and 17) tying him with Insanolord, ShyGuy and Stratos at being able to pull off such a thing. Not only that, TOPHATANT's second win came in Safe Words 15 and he almost became the first player to win back-to-back Safe Words games only to fall just short of the mark by finishing in 2nd place last game (Safe Words 16). No other player who has won Safe Words has ever been able to reach the Final Round the next game until TOPHATANT123 did that last game. He won Safe Words 15 by beating Insanolord in the Final Round and lost Safe Words 16 when facing MASB in the final round. Both of those players are back in the Final Four this game. Will we see a rematch or something completely different? Will TOPHATANT123 be able to win his 3rd Safe Words game and tie ShyGuy with the Most Safe Words Wins? Of the four players in the Final Four, TOPHATANT123 is the only one to have not yet had control of the bomb word. He's been able to safely avoid the bomb words so far but can he keep it up as the margin for error further shrinks down? Or will he get control of its selection at just the right time and be able peak at the right moment again? How long is he going to stay hot?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2021, 12:49:51 AM »
MASB - In contrast to Insanolord, like Mr. Bungle, this is only MASB's second Safe Words game but he's already won doing so in his first game. He is the third player in the history of this game to have won it on their first try. Ceric was the first in Safe Words 1 (which was obviously going to be the first try for someone) and Discord.RSS/Steefosaurus accomplished it with his first game in Safe Words 12.

MASB has promptly followed up that win by once again making it to the Final Four for the second time in a row and is now attempting to do what no player has been able to accomplish yet which is to win back-to-back games of Safe Words. In this game, MASB has had control of the bomb word two times tying him with Insanolord this game for the most times a player has had control of the bomb word. Up to this point, the only players who have had control of the bomb word have been MASB, Insanolord and BeautifulShy although Mr. Bungle now joins their ranks having gained control for Round 6.

Will his luck continue to hold? Is MASB an even hotter player right now than TOPHATANT123? Or will TOPHATANT123 return the favor this game and deny MASB the second win in a row? Perhaps MASB will instead swap places with Mr. Bungle, the other second time player, in regards to how they finished last game and come in third while Mr. Bungle takes the crown? Dare I even say it? Might we see a bonkers final of MASB vs Insanolord, a match-up of an undefeated player vs the all-time Safe Words luckless leader? Is that what all their bomb word choosing has been leading up to?

I don't know about you but I can't wait to see how all this intrigue plays out. Now That's What I Call.... A Safe Words Final Four!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:07:13 AM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2021, 04:53:08 AM »
The competition is really hotting up. Kudos to everyone for making it this far, but this is the end of the roads for ya >:(

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
The competition is really hotting up. Kudos to everyone for making it this far, but this is the end of the roads for ya >:(

TOPHATANT123 is a boy band now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKO6XYXioc
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 6!
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2021, 01:48:05 PM »
Can't believe I missed the partyline!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
Bomb Word selection has been locked in. Round 6 has arrived.

It is NWR_Insanolord who gets the honor of starting this round. He's now performing at various College bowls across the US and could use a current hip song to help keep the crowd energy up and motivated. Fortunately, I happen to have a few songs to offer with a very hefty licensing fee. Which of these choices can I sucker him into:

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2021, 07:30:48 PM »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »
Jimmy Somerville's lively pop anthem is a hit with the college crowd and Insanolord gets a lot of buzz from music critics as being an up and coming artist to keep an eye on. Should I let him retire now while things are going good and there's been no Safe Words tragic ending yet?

Read my lips. Not gonna do it!

This brings us back to the Newer Kids on the Block, TOPHATANT123. Having just one hit single to the group's name, they now need a bunch of filler in order to pump out an album for their growing fans. Who do they want to duet with in order to add something current to their album and give them more exposure?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2021, 08:01:21 AM »
Duets are tricky man. There's no way we wanna be upstaged by a bunch of posers, but at the same time any publicity is good publicity right? How about we meet somewhere in the middle?

Ayyyyyy, okay I've got to go with this one. 49ers - Don't You Love Me

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
LOL! Safe Words is now influencing Big YouTube!

The duet just hits the sweet spot of working for everyone and TOPHATANT123 gets their album out for their diehard fans.

Now we come to MASB. Not sure what benefit concert he's been booked for now but if he's looking for a special guest to join him for it then his options are limited after waiting this long to get in contact with me. All I have left to offer are:

Our first round to go the distance. Either MASB or Mr. Bungle will be advancing depending on the choice made now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
Duets are tricky man. There's no way we wanna be upstaged by a bunch of posers, but at the same time any publicity is good publicity right? How about we meet somewhere in the middle?

Ayyyyyy, okay I've got to go with this one. 49ers - Don't You Love Me
LOL I posted that same comment on all the music videos selected. I was wondering who liked my comment.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline MASB

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2021, 02:02:57 PM »
I pick Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence. With the Frozen movies' popularity, being royalty from the snow regions has never been so cool. The kids will come for the snow tunes and the adults will come for the nose flute!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »
Unfortunately, MASB severely overestimated the appeal of the nose flute as instead shocked parents hurriedly rushed their children out of the arena and called the cops for gross indecency. This led to MASB being arrested by the police and charged with obscenity. At the trial, crowds outside were protesting both sides of the argument...

It was all the nation could talk about for weeks. It was dominating the airwaves so much that 2 Live Crew had to quickly release another album to get people talking about their antics again. In the end, the judge sided in favor of The People and banned MASB from performing live for 2 years. Undeterred and angered by the verdict, MASB said he'd put on a show and really give people something to complain about. He confided with a few friends about what he planned to do which was to tear up a picture of the Pope. Unfortunately, one of the friends he told this to was Sinead O'Conner who liked the idea so much she wanted her for herself. Using her connection with the Irish Mafia, she arranged to have MASB taken out before he could perform his idea.

And so, a few days before the concert as MASB was starting up his car to get to the theatre he'd been practicing at....

We know the history of how things played out. Sinead O'Conner ripped the Pope's picture on SNL, Depeche Mode wrote the song Condemnation over what happened with MASB's obscenity trial, I sued Depeche Mode for part ownership of the song claiming that they would never have made it if I hadn't booked them for that concert, the judge disagreed and I was out a few million dollars while Depeche Mode fired me as their agent for suing them. The loss of money couldn't have come at a worst time as now the Irish Mob is upset about me blowing up some Irish hospital a few months back and I don't remember doing anything of the sort.

I really need some money fast. I hope the few groups I'm still the agent of will have a big career in the 90s here since I feel I'm going to need some long term cash flow with the way things have been going down of late.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Round 7!
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2021, 06:50:09 PM »
MASB's undefeated streak is over and another quest to win back-to-back Safe Words has ended in failure again. That means TOPHATANT123 will be selecting the bomb word for the next round. I had to work some overtime this weekend so I wasn't able to write about the result of MASB's pick until now. However, since I knew the result, I sent off a notice to TOPHATANT123 so that he could choose the bomb word and I've already got that selection so we don't even have to wait for Round 7 to begin.

Hosting Tip - Be proactive where you can. You don't have to wait until you've posted the result of a player's choice before contacting the player who selects the next bomb word. You can do that as soon as the player has posted their selection and then post the result of the eliminated player.

Round 7 begins with a return to Mr. Bungle who's bomb word choice just took out MASB. Can he safely select something from the following choices:

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »

After the California tour we all went out separate ways. Mike Patton went on to co-found Ipecac Recordings and lead several bands including Fantomas and Tomahawk. Trey Spruance also formed a label, Web of Mimicry and formed the Secret Chiefs 3. Trevor Dunn formed his own jazz band, Trio Convulsant. They were all pretty successful with touring and releasing indie records in the US.
Danny Heifetz and Clinton McKinnon moved to Australia though and seemed to be having a harder time making it in the Aussie music scene. We asked King Gong if he had any performers that were popular down under. He said that Bizz Nizz had added a vocalist duo and were performing as 2 Unlimited. Apparently their first single Get Ready For This was No. 2 on the charts in Australia. He seemed really nervous and kept wiping his nose, but assured us that once we got Danny and Clinton in the studio with 2 Unlimited they would cut a single that would be No.1. Last time we saw him he was getting into a plane headed for Sydney with a trash bag full of money.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2021, 03:42:45 AM »
Down under is the place to be and Mr. Bungle is now bigger than Crocodile Dundee! Unfortunately, being big in Australia doesn't seem to be translating to big bucks in the USA after the exchange rate. Fortunately, I also heard that Insanolord is big in Japan and is now planning a tour there. Hopefully I can convince him to take one of these acts along:

(Mr. Bungle has punched his way to the Final Round and now it is just a matter of finding out who will join him between Insanolord and TOPHATANT123. If Insanolord is correct then he will move and have control of the bomb word. If Insanolord fails here then TOPHAT will advance but Mr. Bungle will be selecting the bomb word.)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2021, 04:32:25 AM »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »
Godzilla ain't got nothing on Insanolord. That's how big he is in Japan! The tour is a huge success!

Meanwhile, the TOPHATANT123 band got invited to appear on Late Night with David Letterman. Unfortunately, things fell apart for their performance....

There was a lot of awkward fumbling with their instruments and sound to get things together and finally they just ran off the stage in embarrassment as the show went to an commercial. The appearance gained a lot of notoriety and Letterman made jokes about it on his show for a couple weeks. As a result, TOPHATANT123 lost all their cool factor and suddenly became passe.

Trying to quickly salvage their image, the group put on a free concert at Central Park. Unfortunately, still being awkward clumsy teens going through growth spurts led to this unfortunate moment with the drummer...

He tumbled into the pyrotechnic display where he spontaneously combusted causing it to explode around the crowd.

And that sealed the book on TOPHATANT123's music career. Meanwhile, Jimmy Somerville, who had been stuck touring with them through this because of my contract said, read... well, you can probably guess what he said. He buggered off to England leaving. Why do all my clients seem to be fleeing across the Atlantic from me?

Meanwhile, the IRS is now figuring out that I've been paying for a lot of illicit substances instead of my taxes and are demanding a lot of money. It's been a sobering experience. When I look at my client list, I suddenly realized I don't seem to have many. Who are these people? People hang up when I call them. Where am I going to get a lot of dough. Hopefully, one of these acts that have suddenly become big overseas will remember me for the help I gave them in doing so and help an old friend out...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:35:51 PM by "King Gong" Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
With that, the Final Round has been determined. Mr. Bungle vs Insanolord. One of these players will soon win their first game of Safe Words. Insanolord controls the bomb word so only Mr. Bungle will be making a selection when the Final Round begins.

As for TOPHATANT123, he placed 1st in Safe Words 15, 2nd in Safe Words 16 and now 3rd in Safe Words 17. I guess we'll see him in 4th at Safe Words 18. Now That's What I Call... Sequential Order!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »
Will Insanolord go all the way this time?!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... The Final Round!
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
The bomb word has been chosen. The Final Round has now begun.

Mr. Bungle, which option will you take?

or

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »
Sorry to keep everyone waiting but that is what we did. For almost 20 years we denied rumors of a reunion while rabid fans developed Bungle Fever. That all changed last year when Mike, Trey, and Trevor reunited to play a small number of US shows. We were joined by metal legends Scott Ian (Anthrax) and Dave Lombardo (Slayer) and even re-recorded our very first demo, The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny. Naturally, King Gong shows up as soon as he smells money to be made and begs us to collaborate with one of the few acts that will still talk to him. I mean, we already worked with both of these groups based on rather tenuous connections. But since Danny and Clinton are still in Australia, having not come back for the reunion, it would not make sense for us to work Bizz Nizz again. After all, we are a California band and California is the home of the 49ers. So that brings us to the present day and only leaves one unanswered question - Don't You Love Me?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2021, 02:15:33 PM »
Alright. Well, it will be a few hours until I'm home and able to wrap up this game so thank you all for your participation in the meantime. Now it is the waiting game for the results to be posted.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2021, 02:45:42 PM »
How about some Nintendo music while we wait.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2021, 03:43:17 PM »
Hmmm. Not sure if I should click that link after some recent rick-rolling I did.....

EDIT: Took a chance and it was safe!  8)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
How about some Nintendo music while we wait.
Your YT account?  I am guessing yes but don't want to make assumptions.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
Your YT account? 
No, my youtube is pretty boring. I just use it for work.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
Mr. Bungle kicked off the reunion tour and it was a big celebration.

It was the most successful tour ever by the band. They played in 9 cities and got their biggest crowds ever. However, the biggest crowds ever for Mr. Bungle doesn't mean what you may think....

While successful in that they had more people attend then before, the tour was still a financial disaster and actually put everyone involved in the hole including me. And then when it was over, Mr. Bungle re-dissolved and the 49ers decided to call it a career as well! Quitters!

Meanwhile, Insanolord managed to parlay his Japan and football success into a Super Bowl Halftime gig! I used that connection and the only client left in my rolodex and persuaded him to include Bizz Nizz for old times sake and as a good luck charm. I gotta get those guys more exposure now. Unfortunately, Insanolord bungled up the timing of the show and started performing as the first half of the game was ending...

The resulting mess of the play lead to fans rioting in the arena and across the country...

Insanolord and Bizz Nizz quickly got in their tour bus to flee but were being chased by angry sports fans and police. At high speeds, they tried to do a sharp turn but the bus wobbled and flipped spinning into the dynamite factory that every city has leading to this big boom.

Now I've got the NFL and cities coming to me for damages because Bizz Nizz was my client and it was my contract that led to them being part of this debacle. Fortunately, I make sure to have a large life insurance policy for my clients. I needed a client and so I used that money to help persuade one of the biggest music sensations around to take me on. They'd just won Best New Artist of the Year at the Grammy's and just had a falling out with the current manager. I took advantage of the situation to swoop in and be their new manager. The future looks bright for my new client, Milli Vanilli, and I think I'll be able to make it out of all these financial woes after all.....

Now That's What I Call.... A Pretty Lame Story!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:27 PM »
To sum up: Mr. Bungle chose the only Safe Word leaving Insanolord to select his own bomb word and fulfill his sign-up prophecy to come in 2nd. He's 0-4 now in the Final Round making him the Buffalo Bills of Safe Words after all.

A bit of an odd game with the bomb word selections. I had ordered them by artist in alphabetical order. If a player just selected from the top four in the alphabetical order then they'd have made it to the Final Four as it was the bottom Five choices that were selected through the first rounds. Then if they had selected the top two of the four remaining choices, they'd have made it to the Final Round. In the end, if one selected the first choice every round then they'd have won the game like Mr. Bungle just did. Why was everyone always focused on the bottom choices? Watch next game as everyone gets paranoid about selecting choices from the top. Just an odd quirk of this game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 17: Now That's What I Call... Game Over!
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2021, 10:29:42 PM »
As mentioned in previous Safe Word games, the players are all ranked by the F-Zero GX racing point system based on their position. Based on how the contestants finished in this game of Safe Words 17, these were the points handed out to them for the game:

1. Mr. Bungle - 100 points
2. NWR_Insanolord - 93 points
3. TOPHATANT123 - 87 points
4. MASB - 81 points
5. Discord.RSS/Steefosaurus - 76 points
6. BeautifulShy - 71 points
7. Mop it up - 66 points
8. nickmitch - 62 points
9. Stratos - 58 points

Host: Khushrenada - 70 points

As previously announced, Season 3 of Safe Words will encompass Safe Words 16, 17, and 18. So, when we combine the totals of last game with this game then here is the current leaderboard for Safe Words Season 3:

Season 3

1. Mr. Bungle - 187 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
2. MASB - 181 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
3. TOPHATANT123 - 180 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
4. NWR_insanolord - 159 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
5. BeautifulShy - 152 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
6. Discord.RSS/Steefosaurus - 146 points (1 game played, 1 game hosted)
7. Khushrenada - 132 points (1 game played, 1 game hosted)
8. Stratos - 129 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
9. nickmitch - 120 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
10. Mop it up - 113 points (2 games played, 0 games hosted)
11. pokepal148 - 76 points (1 game played, 0 games hosted)
12. lolmonada - 54 points (1 game played, 0 games hosted)
13. Luigi Dude - 50 points (1 game played, 0 games hosted)

Now That's What I Call.... Statistics!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:22:02 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »
As mentioned previously, 3 of the players in the Final Four were also in the Final Four last game. The result is a really close race for first among the current Top 3 leaders of Season 3. Next game is going to be some pretty high stakes for who can finish higher among those three. Unfortunately, we'll never know how that will play out since the Geneva Convention has ruled that what we are doing here is cruel and inhumane torture to Insanolord. Because of him, the International Court of Justice at the Hague has ordered NWR to never play Safe Words again. And so, once again, Insanolord has been an international disgrace for these forums. Oh well. I guess at this point, pretty much everyone else has won a game of Safe Words so there probably wasn't much point in playing it again anyways.

And that is why Safe Words was never again played on the forums. This concludes the history of Safe Words.

Now That's What I Call... A Hack Hosting Job Complete!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
We're not done until I say we're done.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2021, 11:06:47 PM »
I need to look back on the games but you might remember them better off the top of your head having been in those Final Rounds. I'm pretty sure last game you were in the Final Round that you had control of the Bomb Word like you did in this game but has that been the case for every Final Round? Or have there been some where you had to select the last Safe Word available?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2021, 05:40:20 AM »
Good game all. Thank you Khush for making it so entertaining and for keeping on top of all the statistics.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »
GG everyone. Having the theme be 90's music finally allowed me to finally cash in on having a user name that is 90's music group. Definitely a missed opportunity for Adrock. I found the role playing let me avoid making selections based on familiarity or the psychology of the bomb selector. In the last round I was really thinking Insanolord would pick 49ers since that is a sports team and he likes sports (I think). Of course I don't know sports or Insanolord for that matter and as weak as my reasons for selecting were they were purely motivated by the story I was telling. I also was not expecting to be able to go in chronological order or avoid re-picking the same thing for so long, but it all seemed to work out. The pattern Khush noticed with the placement of the bomb in the lower choices is interesting and I am curious if that affected people's selections consciously or subconsciously.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2021, 12:13:11 PM »
Congrats Mr. Bungle! Can't believe Insanolord is snubbed once again.
Perhaps presumptive, but I hadn't assumed Khush would be into EDM at all. But between this CD and the songs Khush highlighted in the other thread I think he might have a rave cave in his basement.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
Congrats Mr. Bungle! Can't believe Insanolord is snubbed once again.
Perhaps presumptive, but I hadn't assumed Khush would be into EDM at all. But between this CD and the songs Khush highlighted in the other thread I think he might have a rave cave in his basement.

Let me tell you...

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »
Perhaps presumptive, but I hadn't assumed Khush would be into EDM at all.

Also, you can't leave it at that! What music did you think would be my jam?