Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692222 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1650 on: December 20, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
I was just about to start God of War and then Insomniac went ahead and released the Raimi suit for Spider-Man.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:53 PM »
I installed Alan Wake on Linux using Steam Crossover. What a time to be alive!

Offline johnkloen

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 27, 2018, 04:57:58 AM »
I am playing final fantasy :)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 01, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Haven't done one of these in a while, but figured I might as well for this.

In the spirit of the new year, I'm trying to give a 2nd chance to franchises or games I've otherwise avoided in recent years. To start this off, I've been playing Dragon Quest 11 on my PS4 Pro, which I grabbed a Day 1 copy of a month ago when it was half off.

I had a really bad experience with Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2, which was my 1st Dragon Quest and unfortunately the one that cemented my longstanding impression that this franchise had no justification to still exist (despite generally liking DQ Swords). The game just felt "old", from the grindy gameplay flow to the ancient turn-based battle system to a story that was purely an afterthought with characters I didn't care about.

However, I put about 6 hours into Dragon Quest 11 last night, and despite some issues with continued legacy nonsense that needs to die (like them still using 8-bit sound effects and the same damn musical cues) I quite like this one.  The combat feels much faster than I've seen previously, and your AI characters can be somewhat automated so you're not just mashing on the confirmation button 50 times a fight. The new (?) Pep-Up system also ensures that battles end quicker than they did in DQ 8, since you'll occasionally get stat buffs or supermoves.

I'm not sure if the character skill grid is new or not, but I like it. It reminds me of FF 10's sphere grid or a more logical version of FF 12's license board. There's a clear indication of what's available to you and what you're working towards. I just wish you were unlocking stuff on it more often. I also like the new crafting system way more than the one in DQ 8, since there's an element of strategy to how you hammer the stuff together for extra bonuses.

Surprisingly, for as basic as it is, I also like the story that's being told so far. Rather than the in media res approach that DQ 8 took, 11 establishes why you should care about the characters from the beginning & slowly builds things up. The cutscenes have been fairly effective at conveying a fairly stock plotline in a sincere manner.

So far, the game is kind of stupidly easy, though, depending on how frequently you kill enemies & how you spec out your character. I had a boss fight recently where I put a boss to sleep & then used an attack that does 6x damage to sleeping targets. Killed them instantly. Hoping the game has more bite to it. Also, for all Square Enix's whining about streaming this game for its music, the music is pretty damn forgettable and even bad in places.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:04:29 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 02, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
This past weekend, I started a few games after receiving them from Santa.

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) has been the delightful open world power fantasy I'd hoped it'd be.  Web-swinging through the city is fluid, fast, and has weight in a way that I haven't felt Spider-Man games captured since Playstation 2.  I've only used fast-travel a few times in the 5-6 hours I've played, and only because I wanted to show my wife the silly loading scenes of Spider-Man on the subway.  Since it's an original story not based on a movie and set years after his origin story, the characters feel developed and are written with a history that's alluded to, but not outright told to you, which I appreciate.  Peter Parker is a big dork in a way that's cringe-inducing at first but i've grown to find super funny.

Tetris Effect (PS4) is the second game I spent time with during my time off.  Even without PSVR, this is one worth owning if you have the faintest interest in Tetris.  The visualization effects in the background and synchronized musical notes with each movement of the tetrominoes is enough to put this over the edge from fun to transfixing.  There's also several different modes that mix up gameplay with different challenges or an "easy mode" where there's no game over for people who want something a bit more chill.  I'd end each session with my eyes burning because of how in the zone i'd get, despite never being someone who has ever had warm feelings on Tetris.  The list price ($40) feels a bit steep, but I've seen sale prices of $20 a few times, and it's totally worth that point of entry.

Finally, I spent a few hours in Persona 4 Golden (Vita) after being told here that it's better than Persona 5 on the forums here.  The characters so far seem enjoyable/not annoying, and the mystery unfolding has me engaged, but I can't deny that I miss some of the visual flair and Morgana.  I'm pretty early in the game though, and I assume it opens up a lot more once you get past the point where team members gain a Persona, so I'll reserve any real judgement til I get into the meat of the story.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 06, 2019, 07:07:21 PM »
So...nearly 40 hours into Dragon Quest 11, I've completed Act...One. The game does a fake-out and world reset after Act 1 that is lame; lazy; & boring. This results in you having to retread the entire world map again (all your fast travel warp points are just gone...because) getting all your party members all over again with very few new areas to explore. Yep, you just run through the same areas again, probably running past upgraded versions of the same monsters again to get the same party members you've already used.

Yay........  :rolleyes:

I wasn't a fan of the World of Ruin in FF6 either, but at least that had new areas; new characters; and dramatically different storylines that made it relatively interesting. Here, the developers just slapped a "destroyed" paint job over the area, bump up the enemies, and call it a day.

I think I'm going to take a break from this game for a while, because this 2nd Act is just incredibly lame.  And wanna bet this is pretty much what the game's 3rd Act (which is technically all post-game content) is?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:08:57 PM by broodwars »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 11, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
I'm playing Omega Strike on Switch right now and it's... fine, I guess? It's a Metroidvania, and I at least like that it doesn't really hold you hand with where to go. The difficulty is a bit low and the main gimmick is fine, which is that you can swap between three different characters at will who each have different kinds of weaponry and abilities- there's basic, machine-gun-toting protagonist, strongman with "rolling" bullets and the ability to push blocks, and double-jumping, shotgun wielding dude. The exploration upgrades you get- at least, all that I've uncovered, about 60% into the game- are all gifted to the basic protagonist, though, which is a bit surprising, but understandable, considering he's the most bland of the three. As of yet, the game hasn't forced me to do any clever swapping between characters and is mostly straightforward, but it's enjoyable enough.

I've also played a buttload of indie titles for my writing position, but I won't get into those. Just do yourself a favor and go play YIIK when it releases next week.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 12, 2019, 03:09:12 AM »
It's interesting how your enjoyment of a game can change with just the slightest change in circumstances.

You might remember that I tried playing Crash Bandicoot a year or so ago back, and I really didn't care for it. The "gotcha" design, the pinpoint platforming precision required with tricky camera angles and wonky physics, and the sheer cruelty involved in unlocking content really didn't endear the game to me.

However, as with DQ I thought I'd give the game another chance (once again via the PS4 N-Sane Trilogy Collection). Wow, what a difference just a slight change in circumstances makes.  When I originally played this game, I was still in the middle of moving, so my 55 in. 1080p TV was in storage. I was making due on this 35 in. 720p backup one that could be easily transported.

Playing the game now with a MUCH larger screen & in higher definition seems to have made all the difference in the world now that it's SO much easier to SEE the game. The platforms are easier to read, and I can actually see Crash's shadow clearly now so it's easier to judge landings. I actually managed to clear the entire game, get all the gems, & even beat the "so hard it was cut from the original game" DLC level, Stormy Ascent. And I had a pretty decent time doing it.  I also feel like the load times feel shorter than they were before, now that I have a PS4 Pro.

That isn't to say that my original issues with the game were invalid, but having a better TV definitely helped make them easier to manage. I still, however, question the severe cruelty of the game's unlockables, requiring you to Perfect Run 6 of the games stages just to earn the gems required to get all the other collectables. And if you want to Platinum the game, you have to perfect ALL the stages in time trial mode under EXTREMELY strict time limits.  In a game specifically designed to punish players taking stupid risks, it feels counterproductive to have a mode specifically focusing on taking stupid risks.

Man, now that the game's on Switch, I can't imagine the nightmare it must be to play this game on that thing's screen in handheld mode.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 13, 2019, 10:34:32 PM »
Moving on from the 1st Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Edition, I've now played the 2nd to 100% completion. Mechanically, I like this 2nd game a lot better than the 1st, as there are noticeably WAY less "jump into the screen/towards the end onto a platform/box hanging over an abyss" stages than in the 1st game. Most of the stages are either side-scrolling or "jumping into the screen/towards the screen" stages where your'e more avoiding obstacles/enemies than performing pinpoint platforming over abysses. It feels like Naughty Dog was aware of the clunky nature of the 1st game's platforming & actively tried to side-step it by changing the level design.

That said, the stages are very...random now. There's MUCH less of a sense of "place" in Crash 2, and the jetpack stages outright suck. I could have also done with the bonus stages/secret exits being WAY less cryptic. I don't know how anyone thought to go some of these routes back in the original PS days.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:58 AM »
Well, I just finished Crash 3: Warped via the N-Sane Trilogy to finish off the collection. Overall, I feel like this is probably the best in the series. It certainly has the most variety of the 3 games, and the difficulty is WAY toned down compared to the original game and the later sections of 2.

Unlike the first 2, I actually managed to get the Platinum on this one along with 105%ing the game. The time trials were annoying, but do-able thanks to the character upgrades and generally more forgiving level design.

Now that I've played all 3, I can say I enjoy them and the series definitely improved with each entry from its rather rough 1st outing but I'm not sure I ever want to see another game in this series. The series' design is so firmly rooted in its era of "3D games before we figured out how to do 3D games well" that I just don't see how the series can evolve past this point for a new entry.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: January 17, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
I sputtered out partway through on Crash 1 of the remake trilogy, just eventually got way too punishing to enjoy even playing alone.  It sounds like I might get back to enjoying it if I just skip the remainder of 1 altogether and move on to 2.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: January 17, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »
I sputtered out partway through on Crash 1 of the remake trilogy, just eventually got way too punishing to enjoy even playing alone.  It sounds like I might get back to enjoying it if I just skip the remainder of 1 altogether and move on to 2.

2's a weird game. It's mechanically and level design-wise way better than the 1st game, but I found it a lot less charming & cohesive than the 1st game. But yeah, 2 is definitely easier than 1 (and 3 is considerably easier than 2), so if the difficulty is an issue (and it was for me) than just switching to the 2nd game seems like the right move to me. The 2nd & 3rd games are MUCH less insane murder gauntlets than the 1st game is.

I had a 20% off PSN coupon that came with my PS4 Pro, so I used it today on Onimusha, Celeste, & Y2K. Looking forward to something significantly less stressful after so much Crash lately.

And yes, I know that Celeste is not that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:00:49 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »
I may or may not have let myself get into runescape for the first time in a decade.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:23 AM »
Slay The Spire (Steam):

This is the one. This the one game where i see numbers coming out of enemies and i don't discount it immediately as dreck not worth of attention. While bad games (aka RPGs) debase their game design to idiotic "see the numbers go up and maybe enjoy the cookie cutter story" Slay the Spire dodges the problem of numerical stats gracefully and brilliantly.

I don't think i've seen such a prowess of game design mastery in... maybe ever. For any type of game -- be it video, card, or board.

The genius idea of making the player build a new deck each time reveals astonishing depth of design put into each and every single card, each and single relic, each of classes, all of the enemy behaviours, interactions between all that and interactions of these interactions.

Just like Binding of Isaac where it is delightfully fun to construct a hilariously overpowered build, similarly Slay The Spire teaches a crafty player how to put together synergies upon synergies upon synergies to crush everything in your path and have an intense, harrowing fun while doing it.

Yes, all you do is pick the right cards for the right build -- but there are virtually endless combinations how you can "solve" enemies ahead of you. You can turtle and tank your way through the game by blocking all incoming damage and slowly chipping away at the enemy until it dies, or you can cleave and bludgeon through monsters without blocking at all. And there are countless ays both in between of these edge cases and also on the side of them, like The Defect who can somewhat "randomly" output both burst block or burst damage depending how you set it's orbs up. Poison decks, Claw decks, Rampage decks, Bludgeon decks, Electrodynamics, Frost decks, Dark Orbs decks -- astounding diversity of viable builds and situations.

300+ hours and dozens of "aha!" and giddy "oh wow!" -s later Slay The Spire is by far the best (designed) game i played across 2017, 2018 and most likely 2019.

Can't wait for the game to hit Switch so i can add it to daily rotation of Binding of Isaac.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 23, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »
Currently playing the Onimusha Warlords remaster. It's...well...both interesting and somewhat frustrating. It's very much Resident Evil with swords, but the combat feels like it should be a lot more satisfying than it is. It looks like the entire depth of the combat system comes down to whether you can master the quick draw technique when countering enemy attacks, as you otherwise only have a weak block and NO dodge roll. Most battles just seem to come down to wailing on the attack button until everything dies & hope you didn't run out of health because save points are scarce & you can't skip cutscenes.

Celeste - I played through the game to completion + the bonus stage & got all the collectibles, and I did it legit (without using the Assist Mode). I found the game quite addicting. It reminded me of Super Meat Boy, but with tight platforming & regular checkpoints instead of the mess Meat Boy devolved into, at least when it came to the main stages.

I didn't love the game, though, mainly due to the pacing. The first few levels are breezy enough, but from pretty much the 4th level onward they become these obscenely long murder gauntlets. Yeah, you can save & quit out at any point & keep your progress, but I would have preferred more stages with shorter run times, as some of the gimmicks WAY out-stay their welcome.  I also don't think the story is quite as strong as people make it out to be, as there are quite a few details missing and it kind of feels like the game rushes to resolve the main conflict without really delving into it.

Overall, still very recommended.

YiiK (aka Y2K: A Post-Modern RPG) - Wow, I haven't seen a game this incompetently made since The Quiet Man. Godawful voice acting that sounds like the developers did it themselves, cringe-y and self-important writing, a godawful exploration camera, a slow-as-hell combat system, and an even SLOWER leveling system just lead to one of the worst experiences I can imagine. Don't play this game.

Oh, and to make things even more charming, there's a graveyard with Satoru Iwata buried in it, and they modeled a cutscene in the game after footage of a real world suicide victim (just before the event).

Oh, you think I'm JOKING about that?  >:(

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:10:19 AM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
I've finished my first complete run through the Resident Evil 2 remake (Leon A, Claire B), and I have mixed feelings on it. It's hard to set aside my attachment to the original game here, because not only was RE2 on the N64 the first M-rated game I ever played, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. I played the hell out of it back then.

There's a lot to like about this remake. The game just looks amazing, and zombies are finally a legitimate threat again in a Resident Evil game, especially after the absurdity of RE6 where your best option was almost always to run INTO a pack of zombies & karate/suplex them to death. I thought the addition of the gunpowder system from RE3 was an inspired choice, as it leads to players having to make hard decisions on where they allocate their ammo. The police station also opens up in some surprising ways that didn't exist in the original game. They also replaced the stupid Little Shop of Horror monsters in the final area of the game with something...a lot more unsettling.

Defensive weapons are back from the 1st remake, although you can also use them like normal weapons now, so that's great.  Sherry's section of the game is also a VAST improvement over the original, where you just ran past some zombies & pushed some boxes to get a key.

However, they made a lot of changes I just plain don't care for. In the original version of the game, Leon & Claire's stories were meant to be running concurrently, with actions one did affecting the other in small ways. There was a loose, but relatively cohesive narrative. In the remake, though, Leon & Claire have almost nothing to do with each other for pretty much the entirety of the game. You solve the same puzzles with both characters the same way at pretty much the same point of the game, which makes no sense from a narrative standpoint.

The original game also had unique bosses for both characters. Nope, not now! You're fighting the same bosses with both characters, and you're fighting them in the same rooms in both campaigns with the same end result. Characters who clearly die in one story will just show up in the other's story to die in the same room they did the 1st playthrough after the same boss fight. It's lazy writing and design, especially when they already had the template of the original game to go by.

They also SEVERELY increased the section of the game that takes place in the sewers, everyone's favorite gaming environment. What was previously just a quick jaunt to the laboratory is now 30 minutes to an hour of slogging your way through bullet-spongy mini-bosses out of John Carpenter's The Thing.

I also don't want to spoil too much, but suffice it to say that there's a LOT of Resident Evil 3 in this game, which lends a certain unwanted tension towards the latter half of the police station that I don't care for, tension that would remind you of certain other recent horror games. Lickers are also damn near impossible to kill now without taking severe damage, as they're heavily armored like the ones from RE5.

The music is also practically nonexistent. I highly recommend buying the original soundtrack DLC if your version of the game doesn't have it, as the new soundtrack is so subtle I never heard it outside the boss battles & a few minor moments.

Finally, the game is super stingy with the unlocks. Outside of earning the Unbreakable knife (which IS a good unlock, btw, as it's an unlimited defensive weapon), if you don't beat this game in under 5 hours, you're not unlocking anything of value. Granted, I was taking my time but it still took me 6.5 hours to beat the game on Leon's A side, & 5.5 to beat it on Claire's B side. And on both, I was out of ammo by the end of the game so I don't know how I could have done better.

Obviously, there's still a lot to play here, and there's definitely a lot to love here. The game's also going to be getting more story content via free DLC updates later this year. I just don't think this is the instant slam dunk over the original game that the 1st REmake was to its original.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:46:07 PM by broodwars »

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
There's been a lot of hype about it, and I enjoyed RE2 quite a bit as a kid but don't remember enough of it to where I think I wouldn't remember what they changed.  My reservation is more that I couldn't get past maybe an hour in RE7 because there was too much tension.  I must have turned wimpy in my middle age, because the idea of feeling tense waiting for something to jump out and scare you for half the game doesn't sound fun at all  to me.

It sounds like despite your reservations, that there's a lot to like about RE2.  Think i'll be waiting until there's a copy sitting at my library before I consider giving it a go, though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: January 31, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
Kingdom Hearts 3...sure is a Kingdom Hearts game, alright. I hate to leave it at that, but after clearing 2 of the worlds (Hercules & Twilight Town), that's pretty much all I can say about it. If you like Kingdom Hearts (and I do), you'll like this one. If you don't, this won't convince you.

I really have to wonder where all the claims about this game not being as button-mashy as KH2 are coming from, because it feels EXACTLY the same as KH2 to me. At least the Gummi Ship sections are actually good this time...and still have absolutely nothing to do with the Gummi Bears. -_-

I do like taking pictures of hidden Mickeys...err..."Lucky Emblems" with my Gummiphone now (which also has absolutely nothing to do with the Gummi Bears).

*shrug* The game's perfectly fine, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing so far.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
Still playing my way through a handful of games on my own as time is available... but my son has taken a real liking to Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Wii) so we've spent a lot of shared time playing through recently.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 04, 2019, 01:12:04 AM »
I think Kingdom Hearts 3 may be the game in the series where I'm officially "done" with the formula. Square Enix used the power of the modern consoles to make the worlds bigger, but not necessarily better. Battles are still a slog of just mashing on the X button until everything's dead, characters are still dumbasses, and the Disney Worlds still seem to have **** all to do with the main plot. Hell, the voice acting in the Disney Worlds continues to have this cold, segmented feel to it. You can feel that no one was allowed in the same time zone as each other, so there's this very "isolated" feel to it where no one's actually reacting to what anyone's saying. Add in the usual KH cutscene:gameplay ratio, and the game's just starting to feel tedious.

All of this were issues in the previous games as well, but with the smaller and shorter levels, you just blasted through it all at such a clip that it almost didn't matter. Now, however, the worlds just drag on for what feels like an eternity, compounding and shining harsh light on the problems the series has always had.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:17:45 AM by broodwars »

Offline topsurfer244

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Models Reviews
« Reply #1670 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:14 AM »
so tired, nothing now :(

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
Yeah I basically stalled out on Birth by Sleep for a lot of the reasons that are listed above. The battle system is decent enough but I kind of lost interest when I realized that I'd basically have to start over when I get going with Terra and Aqua and based on what I've seen the three main characters in that game are absolutely fucking abysmal.

If I ever go back to that stupid Kingdom Hearts thing I was doing I'll probably just watch cutscenes for the other two stories and move on to one but honestly I realized while doing it that there are better ways to make fun of the game's plot and it's been done to death.

Someone did give me the DS version of Days over Christmas though so I might do something with that. I've heard that it's representation in the HD collections could be a lot better and the actual game feels a bit overlooked. I'll have to give it a shot first though instead of just going straight in like I did with Birth by Sleep.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 10, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Shovel Knight (Wii U)
Actually playing it via Cemu on my arcade cabinet. Man, I've never played this game up until yesterday and it's amazing! It actually works very well as an arcade game too, so does Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, which I also started yesterday...that game is so god damn hard! Anyway, Shovel Knight is fantastic. Can't believe it's taken me so long to play it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
Still playing LocoRoco (PSP).
Although I really like the design ideas and overall style, the level design is very mediocre.
It keeps making me want to go back and replay Fluidity instead...

Looking forward to start something new after cleaning up a couple of games I was playing. Cursed Mountain, here we come!

Shovel Knight (Wii U)
Actually playing it via Cemu on my arcade cabinet. ...

This sounds like an awesome way to play the game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
It really is.