Author Topic: North American Club Nintendo Prizes Revealed  (Read 11440 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
North American Club Nintendo Prizes Revealed
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

Platinum members can choose between playing cards, posters, a calendar, and a free game, while Gold members are limited to the calendar or a game.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30981

UPDATE: The prizes are now live.

The prizes for the 2011-2012 North American Club Nintendo year were revealed early this morning and then promptly taken down. It's still very likely these are the prizes, but there could be tweaks when it finally does go live. We'll let you know when the prizes go live and you can make your choice.

Folks who earned 600 coins or more in the previous Club Nintendo year, which ended June 30, have a variety of choices for their Platinum prize. There is a set of three new posters, featuring designs from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

The other Platinum-only reward is a set of Mario playing cards that appear to be slightly see-through.

The Gold reward (for members who earned 300 to 600 coins), which Platinum members can also choose, is, like usual, a 2013 calendar that will likely feature images from Wii U titles such as Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U as the promotional art teases.

Alternatively, Gold and Platinum members can pick a downloadable game for Wii or 3DS as their reward. The options are Super Mario Kart (Wii Virtual Console), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Wii Virtual Console), Metroid II: Return of Samus (3DS Virtual Console), and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare download on 3DS). All of those games except for Metroid II were featured as Club Nintendo games that you could download using coins in previous months.

In previous years, Club Nintendo Platinum members could get a Mario pin set (2010-2011), a Mario figurine (2009-2010), and a choice between a Mario hat and a Punch-Out!! WiiWare game (2008-2009). In all previous years, Gold members could only get a calendar.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: North American Club Nintendo Prizes Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
If anyone seriously doesn't like the Platinum rewards, I'll gift you $20 worth of Wii downloads in exchange for your reward. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Playing cards it is!  I was able to get to the platinum status when I realized that my girlfriend's years-old copy of Mario Kart Wii still had the Club Nintendo insert in it :)
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
"What a horrible night to have a curse."

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
Aww! I want a Kid Icarus Uprising poster.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Playing Cards OR 3 Posters.  Seriously.  It should be at the minimum Playing Cards AND 3 Posters for Platinum.  Now to see the rest of world get something uber-cool and worth more then a week worth of Newspapers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
If anyone seriously doesn't like the Platinum rewards, I'll gift you $20 worth of Wii downloads in exchange for your reward. :D

I might just take you up on that if you have 3DS eShop currency.  Man, I'm so glad I rushed to just barely clear the 600 coins threshold this year rather than hold all my 3DS surveys until this new Club Nintendo year.   ::)    The free game is a nice addition, but I already own 3/4 games available (Mario vs. DK is the only one I don't have).

If I do select one of these rewards, I'd probably take the posters.  I already have a set of Hanafuda cards from Club Nintendo, so I don't need any more playing cards.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I'm torn. I would like the posters, but I am quickly running out of walls in my house due to Club Nintendo. I will never use the playing cards. If only Nintendo would include free walls. I will probably end up buying the calendar on ebay again.

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
I wish I was a platinum member... For the first time ever I actually regret not spending more money,

Offline John Kreese

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
I can't help but feel like NOA has wasted opportunity after opportunity to satisfy the fairly simple desires of its most ardent fans and reliable customers.  I know they don't have to offer Club Nintendo rewards, especially completely premium ones like the Platinum/Gold gifts, and I appreciate the gesture.  But playing cards?  I don't play card games, I play video games.  Like, for example, the "ambassador" games that Nintendo deftly gave away to preemptively placate butthurt early 3DS adopters, which also served as proof that the company is capable of getting these thing right when they really try. 

I was one of those early 3DS adopters, and I still love the idea that my loyalty earned me ten games that no one else will likely ever be able to play on that system.  And that's exactly where NOA should look if they're sick of ungrateful Club Nintendo members whining year after year about their annual freebies: LOYALTY EXCLUSIVITY. 

Whether it's add-on content to popular games, exclusive ports of old favorites, or simply dusting off an old copy of Tingle's Balloon Fight from Japan and letting me order it, this is the way to make us, the continent's Unrepentant Nintendo Fanboys, feel special.  It's also the way to make people who aren't CN members feel stupid for not having put more effort into self-reporting their feelings via survey.  And since I know they couldn't care less about us beyond our status as loyal customers, isn't that the whole point of this exercise?

-John "Getting the G.D. Cards, I Guess" Kreese
This is a karate dojo, not a knitting class.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
I'd settle just for getting the CD Soundtracks that other regions have gotten from Club Nintendo.

And I really hope the Ambassador games appear on the eShop at some point in the near future.  Heaven knows the eShop Virtual Console can use some more good games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Underwhelming for my first Club Nintendo Platinum.  I suppose i'll get the cards, considering I got 3/4 of the downloadable games. 

I know some mentioned a (maybe naive) hope of them releasing a gold Wii Nunchuck. Would have been really nice for that to be a reality, so I could have one that matched my gold Wiimote from Skyward Sword.

Anyone know of a source for getting a gold nunchuck besides spray painting one myself?

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
I'm grabbing Metroid II which is not only a game I planned on buying anyway, but it's also the only downloadable prize semi-announced I do not own.  I already own a set of Hanafuda cards and until my man cave is properly established, all my club nintendo posters are stuck in cardboard tubes.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »

Assuming the final prizes are as shown here, I'll totally take you up on this offer.  The Platinum rewards aren't terrible but have no appeal for me. On the other hand, there are still plenty of downloadable games on Wii that I'd like to get.

PM me to work out details if you are interested.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
@ LOZman

I'm sure you'll be able to find both the posters and the playing cards on eBay around the beginning of November.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
I personally still like the first year's Platinum reward, that Mario Hat really spoke to me. This year, I'm gunning for the playing cards, they're the easiest thing on that list to put into physical storage!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Hmm, I don't know whether to get the calendar or The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I really like the 2012 calendar I got, but I never played Majora's Mask. Ah, decisions.

Offline DrStiles

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
I'm looking forward to the playing cards as my first platinum reward. I've enjoyed the gold level desk calendars in the past - I guess I like rewards that are more practical than decorative. Game downloads are nice options too! Definitely happy with this year's reward options.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »
I know some mentioned a (maybe naive) hope of them releasing a gold Wii Nunchuck. Would have been really nice for that to be a reality, so I could have one that matched my gold Wiimote from Skyward Sword.

Anyone know of a source for getting a gold nunchuck besides spray painting one myself?

Yeah, that was me. Oh well, still some nifty prizes, I'm certainly not gonna complain about free schwag. I just need to decide between either the sweet looking cards, or yet more posters I have no room to hang.

I suppose I could always pick up one o' those gold nunchucks on eBay...

(goes to eBay, checks out the prices for the gold nunchucks)

Uh, yeah f*** that. I'll just pick up some gold paint at Lowes...

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
The prizes are available for choosing now, by the way. I decided to go for the posters, which according to the description have "special print effects". I'm guessing that means the Luigi's Mansion poster is totally gonna glow in the dark. :)

Offline Vrgin X

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
Opted for the posters. Like I need more playing cards, and I don't have my Wii hooked to the net :(. But already hve Majora's Mask on a GCN compolation, so...
Vrgin X 4425-1527-9290

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Shaymin's Guide To Picking Your Club Nintendo Prize
(if someone could turn this into a flowchart, that'd be great.)

What rank did you get?
Gold
Do you already have Majora's Mask, either on N64 or as a VC download? (Gamecube version broken, yadda yadda)
No
Get Majora's Mask
Yes
Get the calendar.

Platinum
Do you have an extra wall for the posters?
Yes
Get the posters
No
Do you have Majora's Mask (Wii VC or N64?)
No
Get Majora's Mask
Yes
Get the cards

All options:
These prizes suck!
Suicide is your only option.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:04:34 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind the posters, but they're not that spectacular, so I went with the semi-transparent wacky cards.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Went for the cards. These rewards really are worthless in the end I feel. Especially when I look at the amount of money I have spent  on games just to end up the points I have. Now if they would just offer some of the more unique items that Japan gets I might feel differently. *Sigh* Sometimes I wish they wouldn't even bother.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
For those who have made me an offer, when I get home, I'll get in touch with you.  I might be up for a set of posters and two sets of the cards... :
NeoStar - Did you really spent a lot of money "just to end up with points"?  If so, you're doing it wrong.  Inside those packages with the PIN that you redeem for coins?  There's usually a pretty spiffy game in there... :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.