Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359765 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #500 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
Looks like my 3 heart no stamina upgrade play though might be over. 47 hours in and I'm at a part pre-dungeon. I need more stuff, or stronger Melee weapons. Im going to try and find some stronger stuff.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:15 AM »
Looks like my 3 heart no stamina upgrade play though might be over. 47 hours in and I'm at a part pre-dungeon. I need more stuff, or stronger Melee weapons. Im going to try and find some stronger stuff.

Try Hyrule Castle or Hebra/Eldin

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #502 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
I never sell all of my ores.  I try to keep a good stock pile of them in case I find some place that uses them.  Glad to know that effort hasn't been in vain.  One I do sell a lot of is monster parts.  I'll have like a hundred of a particular part, and just sell them off 30 at a time, as needed.  For some stuff, it isn't much.  But if I'm getting 8 rupees per item, that's 240 rupees, which add up.

Yeah, bulk selling can pay off. I was going through my inventory in one shop and saw I had over 200 Moblin horns or fangs or whatever their common dropping is so I sold 150 since I'm not making many potions anyways and that adds up to a nice chunk of change. Of course, those items might be needed for armor upgrades or a side quest so I always want to have some on hand but they're plentiful enough I shouldn't have a hard time getting more if needed. It's always nice when I can instantly finish a side quest as soon as it begins but I held on to the majority of my stock and already have the needed item(s).

I take it that you haven't been to Fang and Bone. You're going to regret that as you need 4695 rupees worth of monster parts to get the Dark Link + Ganon's Horse armor set.

I have been there.  Didn't realize there was so much to save up for over there!  Thanks for the heads up.

I'm kind of liking how materials in this game have multiple purposes.  The added value on rupees makes me want to sell them off, but there's that sneaking suspicion that I'll still need whatever I've got for either a sidequest or something like you mentioned.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 16, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
I never sell all of my ores.  I try to keep a good stock pile of them in case I find some place that uses them.  Glad to know that effort hasn't been in vain.  One I do sell a lot of is monster parts.  I'll have like a hundred of a particular part, and just sell them off 30 at a time, as needed.  For some stuff, it isn't much.  But if I'm getting 8 rupees per item, that's 240 rupees, which add up.

Yeah, bulk selling can pay off. I was going through my inventory in one shop and saw I had over 200 Moblin horns or fangs or whatever their common dropping is so I sold 150 since I'm not making many potions anyways and that adds up to a nice chunk of change. Of course, those items might be needed for armor upgrades or a side quest so I always want to have some on hand but they're plentiful enough I shouldn't have a hard time getting more if needed. It's always nice when I can instantly finish a side quest as soon as it begins but I held on to the majority of my stock and already have the needed item(s).

I take it that you haven't been to Fang and Bone. You're going to regret that as you need 4695 rupees worth of monster parts to get the Dark Link + Ganon's Horse armor set.

I have been there.  Didn't realize there was so much to save up for over there!  Thanks for the heads up.

I'm kind of liking how materials in this game have multiple purposes.  The added value on rupees makes me want to sell them off, but there's that sneaking suspicion that I'll still need whatever I've got for either a sidequest or something like you mentioned.

I haven't got to that part yet and have no clue who or what that will be. However, I still have a lot of other monster parts like Lizalfos tails, guts, tentacles, fins, wings, nails, etc. I think I'll be alright and there's still plenty of time of other monsters I can fight yet to replenish my stock before I find whatever that is.

Decided to take a look at my progress and time spent in this game. According to my activity log, I'm at 73:53 hours in. I've beat 1 dungeon, 30 shrines and found 96 Korok seeds. That's over 3 full days (72 hours) and I've still got a lot more to do yet.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 16, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
You are a Korok seed master!  It seems useful to go for them early, to make more use of the expanded inventory.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
Ok I found Fatty Boy Korok once and he enhanced my inventory. I've been playing for over 40 hours with one dungeon completed and about 21 Korok Seeds extra. Where can I find that guy again? Is it in some forest where the Deku Tree is? Just give me a province or something and I'll go hunt. Well maybe narrow it down just a little...

Oh Khush, it was the Zora's domain I was very pleased with in comparison to Twilight Princess. The Zora's don't have individual homes but I get a sense that they have a culture and a way of life for them in this game.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #506 on: March 16, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
That's an impressive number of seeds, Khush.  I'm hoping to increase my count on that over my next few play sessions.  I've done 2 dungeons and gotten the Master Sword, and that's all I wanted to do before getting back to just blindly exploring.  I think I'm about at 56 shrines now, with 3 towers left to hit.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #507 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Ok I found Fatty Boy Korok once and he enhanced my inventory. I've been playing for over 40 hours with one dungeon completed and about 21 Korok Seeds extra. Where can I find that guy again? Is it in some forest where the Deku Tree is? Just give me a province or something and I'll go hunt. Well maybe narrow it down just a little...

He's at a horse stable the second time.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
Lol! Maybe. It just seems to me there are familiar signs to look for. Lily pad circle chains in the water, 3 trees in a row, stone patterns missing a stone, one lonely at the top of a high place, little pinwheels which make a familiar sound, tree stumps with a leaf engraved in them and other things like that.

I'd definitely like to find Big Boy Korok again to expand my inventory some more. I've done the second meet up (for Caterkiller: the codename is Woodlands) but I don't know if the third will be in the Korok forest he's hunting for or somewhere else. I suppose I should try hunting in the Hyrule Forest area to see if that's where he's at.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:33:02 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
His dialogue when he leaves the second spot makes it sound like he'll finally get home. I've been playing around in Goron City/Death Mountain but I'm about ready to move on and wander some more, so next I'm heading to the Lost Woods to try and find him.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
I only found him in the wild once, but I missed him the first time because I was doing my typical climbing and swooping in approach to travel.  I had already been to his final destination, and he just told me that he'd be there when I wanted to meet him again for inventory stuff.  The forest with the Koroks is due West of Goron city if you are climbing over the mountain.  There is a tower there that you can glide to, from which you can see a wooded area shrouded in mist. Not sure if he'll be there after one meeting for everyone or if I tripped some out-of-sequence contingency.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:52:23 PM by KeyBilly »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 16, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »
Ooh! I might try gliding there then. Lots of high places on Death Mountain to sail from, and my stamina wheel has grown to a full second circle, so I'm able to stay afloat for a very long time. I love it, just want to climb to the highest point and set sail, see if I can fly the entire map distance.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 16, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »
I hoard everything because I never know when I'm gonna need it. It seems like upgrades take a lot of stuff, so I don't want to sell anything I may need for those. I find that I don't really need to sell stuff though, at the pace I'm going I've been able to find enough rupees in chests and from quests and stuff. There have been a few times when I was a little short of buying something, so I just sold a few things I had a lot of some more common items. Cooking common items is also a good way for some more cash.

I now have over 250 Koroks, those little buggers really are everywhere! You just have to pay attention to your surroundings, and check out anything that seems suspicious.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Yeah, and they can be in very close proximity to each other too. I once found three in a small plot of land, stumbled upon the last two while trying to solve the first.
My Game Collection

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 16, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
I now have over 250 Koroks, those little buggers really are everywhere! You just have to pay attention to your surroundings, and check out anything that seems suspicious.

Now, see! That's impressive. I was surprised people thought my 96 was a lot so far but you are really doing well to already have found that many.

Ooh! I might try gliding there then. Lots of high places on Death Mountain to sail from, and my stamina wheel has grown to a full second circle, so I'm able to stay afloat for a very long time. I love it, just want to climb to the highest point and set sail, see if I can fly the entire map distance.

You can't glide to it. When I blue lighted the tower close to the Woodlands Stable, I thought I'd try gliding from the top of the tower and see if I could get close to the big tree poking out the middle but as I got close to the fog, the screen turned black, there was an evil laugh and then it reloaded with me back at the top of the tower. Combined with the never ending rainfall I encountered before preventing me from climbing a mountain, I thought I was finding all kinds of artificial barriers from the game though I suspect this fog might be story related like the never-ending rain is tied into the Zora Domain. It was at this point that I decided to glide off the tower and see how close to Hyrule Castle I could get and proceeded with my raid on it a few nights back. I agree with you about gliding and seeing how far you can go. I did that off the top of Mt. Lanayru and just made it to another mountain a fair distance away before my stamina ran out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 16, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
Sounds like I might just copy you and make a raid on the castle next, then proceed on foot to Lost Woods, though I would like the extra slots before raiding the castle[size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
Gliding is very serene, takes me back to Pilot Wings 64, where I would play in the Birdman-Mode for hours, just soaring to new locations.

Another fun thing I found in this game is raft sailing. Sailing and Eventide Island really made me hope for a BotW sequel that took place on the ocean in the vein of Wind Waker. With this open world design I think they should revisit the old sailing aspect. A shame there is no King of the Red Lions boat you can find, as it would have been a fitting nod to WW.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:27:22 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 16, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Well I wanted more weapons cagnabbit!

I'm pretty sure there's never a way to glide into the Lost Woods, you have to enter on foot along the one path that goes into it (check your map).

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
Hey when I leave a registered horse super far away, the only way to get him/her back is to actually go and ride it from its current location correct? They don't get teleported back to stables?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 17, 2017, 12:51:44 AM »
They get teleported

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »
I did my first dungeon today (Elephant theme), The puzzles were really challenging at times, but the boss fight was easier than I thought.

Now that I have the Mipha healing orb, do I need still need fairies?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 17, 2017, 02:31:03 AM »
I'm on the dungeon that ShyGuy played, my first dungeon.  Boss has kicked my ass a lot.  One hit can take like 3/4 of my health.  Frankly I figure I need to prepare more since I can get him below halfway health.  Figure I need to stock up on arrows and get some fairies.  Think I have enough food I just need fairies to bail my ass out when he gets a lucky kill shot in.

I'm a little turned off by the difficulty of the game.  Between routine enemies killing you in one shot and your weapons breaking it's a little too user unfriendly at times.  I'm playing the game like it's a stealth game, but that strategy obviously doesn't work on bosses.  It's kind of funny that Nintendo goes from Skyward Sword where your companion practically tells you how to do everything to this game which has no mercy and tells the player virtually nothing.  I think I would prefer a middle ground.  For example I would probably enjoy the game just as much if instead of having weapons break constantly they merely gave you the limited amount of slots so you still have the strategy of what to keep and what to drop.  Or if broken weapons stayed in your inventory and you could repair them by gathering materials so there is still that element of your favourite weapon being disabled from overuse but you don't lose it forever.  Still a wonderful game though and it passes the Ian Sane test where if I think about the game when I'm not playing and get annoyed when something else prevents me from playing it, even stuff I enjoy like hanging out with friends.  One thing I love is that I'll encounter something I find a little too hard so I'll just go explore over there or see what's on that mountain or do that sidequest.  It's hard to get stuck because their is always somewhere else to go explore.  This is the scale of Hyrule that I've been asking for for years.  I'll take another sailing themed Zelda if they can do it with the scale of this game.

Someone brought up motion control.  I don't like the parts I've encountered that needed it though they were easy enough to deal with.  I found the calibration was way off as I had to turn my Gamepad into all sorts of odd positions to get things to go in the direction I wanted.  Is there an easy way to recallibrate in-game like Skyward Sword had?  I've had ones where clearly holding the Gamepad flat should make the item I was rotating flat but it was nowhere close to matching the item's position on the screen.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
I did my first dungeon today (Elephant theme), The puzzles were really challenging at times, but the boss fight was easier than I thought.

Now that I have the Mipha healing orb, do I need still need fairies?

Yes.  the unfortunate part of the spirit abilities you get from Link's friends is that they are all on insanely long cooldown timers, and naturally, Mipha's healing is the longest cool-down of them all. I'm going to put a bit of advice for you in a second line of spoiler text.

The second line of spoiler text relating to dungeons:

The Rito champion, Revali, provides the most overall helpful of these abilities. they're all great, don't get me wrong, but the one for Revali helps with Navigating the world, bypassing some challenges, helps with climbing stubborn slopes, and is even an effective combat tool that normally requires a horse or a cliff to take advantage of!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #522 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »
I've only played about four hours, and that has been a couple of weeks now. I'm going to restart the game now that I don't have other games vying for my attention.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
I agree that the game isn't perfect, Ian, but there is one bit of game logic that makes you essentially invincible in this game.  When you have full health, almost nothing will kill you in one hit.  Instead, it will knock you down to half a heart, giving you time to eat something to bring you back to full health.  Have a lot of food on hand and you just need to watch out for things like elemental attacks.  I have a lot more hearts now and most bigger enemies still knock me down to half a heart, so it was actually easier with 3.  I guess I need to hunt some things to upgrade my favorite costume.

Speaking of that, I am so glad that costumes don't take damage or wear out.  I think I'd be okay with the weapons, shields, and bows wearing out if there was an indestructible main quest item for each, similar to the rental system in Link Between Worlds.

Khushrenada, you can glide to the entrance, which you can see from the tower.  That's how I got in.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:21:38 PM by KeyBilly »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2017, 02:15:21 PM »
The first boss I fought was the same as Ian and Shy Guy.  I had some trouble with him too.  Used up all my fairies and most of my food.  That was before I learned some of the combat tricks though.  The second boss I fought was much easier.  I don't think I used any food.  Granted, I also had a lot more hearts and much stronger weapons.