Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*

<< < (3/1702) > >>

AnyoneEB:

Originally posted by: BigJim
Playing CD based games off a memory card = ass.  Those things are too slow.
--- End quote ---

Okay, flash is slow, but I am sure it beats the CD-drive in the Sega Saturn by quite a bit. A quick look at the SD wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital ) shows that SD cards are rated in terms of CD speed for throughput (remember that flash has zero seek time) and that the fastest cards are 133x. The Sega Saturn uses a 2x CD drive. 133x (20 MB/s) is starting to challenge some harddrives. Of course, I do not know how fast the card-reader will be in the Wii, but I would expect it to support the latest spec.

Ceric:
Knowing Nintendo it will be fast because there cool like that.  I'm sure Nintendo isn't going just to take a copy of the games and call it a day.  They've gotten really good at shrinking things down over the year.  So a Saturn game that use to take a full CD with new compression standards and the like could probably be shrunk to about half that with some reencoding of the video I would think.  Needless to say Compression technology has came a good ways since the days of the Saturn and I'm confident that Nintendo will take full benefit of it with all of the Virtual console games.  (Even the already itty-bitty ones.)  This goes back to my hope that they have a hardware compression solution onboard.

31 Flavas:

Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: capamerica
And if FFVII does happen for the DS, I totaly saw that coming! (check my topic on the GB/DS board =P )
--- End quote ---

Sorry, not gonna happen. PSP.
--- End quote ---
I would think it would be really stupid of Square/enix to put a FFVII remake on the PSP, at this point. The DS is quite the cultural phenomenon, just like the original Playstation was. Why would they want to limit the game to a system that nobody owns?

Of course, if Sony slaps them with enough money it will make quite sense to them. But still the games availability would be severly curtailed to fans.

BlackNMild2k1:

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas

Sorry, not gonna happen. PSP.
--- End quote ---
I would think it would be really stupid of Square/enix to put a FFVII remake on the PSP, at this point. The DS is quite the cultural phenomenon, just like the original Playstation was. Why would they want to limit the game to a system that nobody owns?

Of course, if Sony slaps them with enough money it will make quite sense to them. But still the games availability would be severly curtailed to fans.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I think it would be like trying to push Wonderswan over the GBA again, and we all kow how that ended up...

If FFIII is the huge success everyone is suspecting it to be(I'll even buy it once I get my DS) then they would be stupid to release FFVII on PSP instead of on the DS. I'm sure they want to support the system with the highest userbase, so that thier games can reach the biggest audience possible, and in Japan DS is the obvious choice.

Terranigma Freak:
Most of those rumors don't sound TOO fake, and some of them could be quite real indeed. My money's on Kojima canceling the Wii game to port it to PS3. That has the highest chance of being real.

And people... it's already confirmed that the Virtual Console will support CD based game systems. The Turbo Duo is supported on the Wii. It uses CDs. Of course they've only confirmed CD1 games, but it's still a CD game. Castlevania is a Super CD game just so you know, so we don't know if they'll support CD2 and Super CD yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version