Author Topic: Wave Race Blue Storm  (Read 3199 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wave Race Blue Storm
« on: May 24, 2003, 05:41:34 PM »
Wave Race Blue Storm:

The second in the series, WRBS is developed by Nintendo's own NST division.  The game features five different modes of play, including: Championship, Time Attack, Stunt Mode, Multiplayer, and Free Roam.  

Championship is the bulk of the game where you race seven other characters.  When you begin the game, only exhibition is available in this mode.  It consists of one race.  Once you complete exhibition mode, you can play normal mode.  Normal mode consists of five races.  Following normal mode, is hard mode (6 races) and finally, expert mode (7 races).  The courses get harder with each mode you play, as does the computer AI.  

Time Attack mode, is you racing against the clock.  You can play time attack mode for the normal courses, hard courses, and the expert courses.

Multiplayer mode, lets upto four players race at once in the normal course, hard courses, and expert courses.

Free roam mode, let's one player play any course with no time limits or racing required.  It is an opportunity for players to learn the ins and outs of each course.

For each mode of play, there are eight different characters you can choose from.  When you select your character, you can customize him/her by pressing the Z button.  You can select from four different colors for your rider and set their jetski to favor acceleration or top speed.  You can also adjust the jetski's handling to tight or loose.  Each character has a different announcer that makes comments throughout the race.  There are four different views to select from while racing, and during the replays of your races (featured after each race) there are also four different views to select from.  

The game features over fifteen different stunts/jumps to perform.  While performing stunts in Stunt mode, you will be able to build up your turbo meter.  Unfortunately this aspect is not included in the Championship mode.  To build up your turbo meter in Championship mode, you just have to clear four buoys in a row.  

The game also let's you configure the options where you may select to listen to any of the game's fifty different songs, access the best times and stunt points, choose from mono, stereo, and surround sound, and lots more.

Graphics: 10, the game features great looking character models, and water that is both reflective and transparent.  It is fun to race around and notice giant sea turtles, fish, and dolphins swimming below.

Sound: 8, sound effects are right on with how jetskis should sound and the game features some catchy techno songs.

Fun Factor: 9, it's a blast to play multiplayer and comes a close second to Mario Kart for multiplayer racing.

Replay: 8, with seven courses, and three variations of each course, plus a stunt mode, this game will easily give you weeks if not months of playability.

Overall Score: 9

Note: this game can now be found for as little as $19.99 used at Gamespot/Funcoland/Electronics Boutique.  (it was after all, a launch title)  

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Wave Race Blue Storm
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 12:39:51 PM »
I *love* this game.  I just wish it had more courses. =/ Seven simply isn't enough for any racing game.

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
Wave Race Blue Storm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 02:41:16 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
I *love* this game.  I just wish it had more courses. =/ Seven simply isn't enough for any racing game.

I must agree.  The game friggin' ruled but I wished it had twice as many courses.  The same went with my other GCN racing games, though, as I wanted to see more courses in Burnout, Burnout 2: Point of Impact, and Need for Speed: Hot Persuit 2.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Wave Race Blue Storm
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 01:32:37 AM »
Wave Race: Blue Storm is a brilliant game, gameplay wise. However it severe lack of options and courses make it seem like this game was rushed for launch. A brilliant game, but could have been a lot better.

Offline Usul

• View Profile
Wave Race Blue Storm
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 01:53:40 AM »
Waverace is a great game because of the water-physics, but it lacked gameplay-wise. Why didn't they include a lot more courses, like 20 or more. Why not including more action during the courses, for example waterfalls? Why are the courses so short?...

Does anyone remember Hydro-Thunder on dreamcast? It had fantastic courses, long and with a lot of interesting action along the way. The only thing it lacked was good water-physics. A combination of the water of Waverace with the courses of Hydro-Thunder, now that would have been extraordinary.

8 of 10 for Waverace from me.

Usul
If you can read this you are too close