Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276326 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
Not sure how a new hiring listing would jive with the Pokemon Stars rumors.  Aren't the SuMo models already HD?  I think I remember reading/hearing that's why the game kinda chugs at times and you can find HD videos of the game.  So, wouldn't think they'd "need" someone to make a Switch game.  Could just be an opening came up.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #726 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Or they're getting ready for Gen VIII, a spinoff, or something completely different.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this.

I don't want to pay $60 for Arms, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #728 on: March 21, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this.

I don't want to pay $60 for Arms, but it looks like a lot of fun.

I think the price will be easier to swallow when we learn more about modes and if there are any other characters.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
That won't change anything. I rarely pay fully price for games (not counting the 20% Amazon discount). I paid full price for Breath of the Wild because come on. This isn't so much about Arms than it is my thriftiness and limited gaming time. I just got to Hateno Village like a week ago, and I haven't played since.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 23, 2017, 02:22:26 AM »
A friend of mine designed an adjustable angle Switch stand. Its pretty good, I printed with one with a printer at work.

The design is here if anyone wants it
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/nintendo-switch-adjustable-stand-30162

I will keep using the 3DS stand because it is much less bulky, but I will give this one to my sister

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 23, 2017, 02:40:27 AM »

I found one of these while packing for moving and I thought...hey wait a minute?

https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/decor-display-easels-and-picture-frames/5205-81?gclid=CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblTRHmqThfiV212gMPaIBvhXlqeyIRP8TGNr4s_loVetBoCaf7w_wcB

87 cents. Commonly available picture frame holder.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #732 on: March 23, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
Cheap, effective, and adds a touch of class? I like it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
I've been reading Tiago Sousa's Twitter. Apparently he was really happy Nintendo has Vulkan support. He was also excited about the console. Apparently, he was trying to buy it but it was sold out. Who  is Tiago Sousa? A Lead Programmer at Id Software.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 26, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »
20 million in year one would most likely mean Switch eclipsing Wii U's lifetime sales before the end of 2017. That would really be something.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 26, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
That 20 million number seems a tad optimistic, though I certainly think it's possible that Switch beats WiiU lifetime within a year on the market.

My baseline assumption is that the Switch will come in between the 64 and the 3DS (~30 million and ~60 million). I'm thinking more on the conservative side of that spread with 40 million, though I'm unsure of how the likelihood of ambiguous quasi-generations will muddle the picture.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #737 on: March 26, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
20 Million seems aggressively optimistic.  One thing I like about the news: it (hopefully) means Nintendo is planning to maintain instocks.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
Ship is different than sell.  I suspect they expect a bullish year, but also imagine they set a target of 20 million units to:

1).  Get the stock levels from impossible to find to readily available anywhere.  I really don't think the scarcity helps their situation, they should want to move units now, especially given the fanfare for Zelda and leading up to a new Mario game by the end of the year.  They want to ramp up their install base quickly so their console is an attractive ecosystem for 3rd party & indies, where viable.

2).  Possibly get price breaks on a higher volume of units being manufactured.  I doubt Nintendo ever got the benefit of doing this with Wii U, especially given the unique nature of the console.  Given the relative off-the-shelf nature of the Switch (joycon notwithstanding), I imagine they can get their manufactured cost down pretty significantly if they place pretty significant purchase orders with their manufacturing partners.

I also imagine we're far enough away from a hardware refresh to where they're not afraid to build up their stock if it doesn't fly off the shelves.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 29, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »

Good to see UE4 playing nice with the Switch. It's a plus when the anti-aliasing works so well that you're not really noticing that you're playing something sub-720p when docked. Also the short turnaround for porting to Switch.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 29, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
Since I powered through Breath of the Wild, I am now pretty bummed at what else is available for the Switch. Not only because none of the games stack up to the quality and amount of content that Breath of the Wild does, but a number of the games feel overpriced and way too gimmicky to justify a purchase. I've been considering Blaster Master Zero, but I could just as easily get that on 3DS. Snake Pass and Binding of Isaac are overpriced, as well.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
I finally got a Pro controller! Amazon had a direct prime listing yesterday with a promise of shipping by April 11th. Gamestop had a similar thing going last week with a promise date of 3/31, but I didn't want to pay the extra shipping costs. The controller is already $70 with taxes too. I'm not paying $80 for a controller including shipping.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 29, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Since I powered through Breath of the Wild, I am now pretty bummed at what else is available for the Switch. Not only because none of the games stack up to the quality and amount of content that Breath of the Wild does, but a number of the games feel overpriced and way too gimmicky to justify a purchase. I've been considering Blaster Master Zero, but I could just as easily get that on 3DS. Snake Pass and Binding of Isaac are overpriced, as well.

Have you downloaded the demoes for Dragon Quest Warriors and Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Japanese eshop?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
I still haven't completed Hyrule Warriors to my personal level of satisfaction just yet, I can't imagine going for DQ Heroes, let alone a bundle of the two games. Puyo Puyo Tetris does sound amusing, though.

Arms is the next game I really want.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 30, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »
So Wii came out in November of 2006 and launched with Zelda: Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy was launched the year after in November of 2007. Switch is likely to be ahead of schedule with Mary Odyssey. I think if Odyssey slips though Switch would be Doomed if it didn't have Pokémon, which guarantees its success. I do expect however a $25 price drop March of next year. The key is maintaining momentum.

Some things I'd like to see at e3

Eternal Darkness (Nintendo re-registered the trademark, either it's just going to the e-shop or they are making a new one) A great idea would be to show off Resident Evil 7 and Fatal Frame off at the same time to roll the ball for survival horror.

Metroid
Shadows of the Eternals(resurfacing still a separate game with a publisher)
Smash Bros (but I want Smash Bros to make a drastic change, the type of change fanboys would be divided about, where some are pissed and some are excited) The ideal situation is the announce a port of the wii u 3ds one, and make another game that is totally new.
Pikmin
Pokémon
Donkey Kong(i'd like to see a new 3d DK)

Obviously I want to see new franchises or even long forgotten franchises.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 31, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »
MY GOD THE JOY-CON NEEDS A D-PAD.

I bought KOF '98 and that game is almost impossible with a standard horizontal Joy-Con. To the point that I won't buy another arcade fighter on the system until this is fixed. I could buy a Pro Controller but that's far less elegant than an actual D-Pad. I've only played on other game (Zelda) and of course there is no problem there.

ALSO

I'm beginning to be a bit trepidatious on the hardware in terms of hardware specs. As a handheld, I think the system is solid and I am giving them a first year grace period but as a home console, I'm thinking this may not be robust enough. When I do the math, the specs should fall into the "good enough not to suck" but the lack of a Switch version of Destiny 2 seems smells reminiscent of the Wii U. Just something I noticed  and I want to keep an eye on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:06:19 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
Nintendo basically rejected the notion of PS4/XBone ports with the Switch design.  For me, it is not too bad if they let go of the pretense that it isn't a 3DS successor and all those developers (including internal) move to Switch. 

Also, YES, the left Joy-con should have a D-pad.  I would much prefer using the D-pad as buttons in two player games than using the buttons as a D-pad for any game on the go.  Using the Joy-con on their sides is awkward anyway, plus there are shoulder-ish buttons, so there is no need to sacrifice the most fundamental Nintendo input style to make that play style work better.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 31, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
Honestly, do not expect major third party franchises to have Switch ports. The hardware specs and overall output just don't match up, and the cost of cartridges may just be enough of a turn off to not make it worth it for publishers.

Regardless of what many people may say (including some staff of this very website), the Switch is a handheld consoles first and a home console a very distant second.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 31, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »
Apropos of nothing, Switch needs a Picross game ASAP.  Come to my rescue, Saturn!  Let's get to Picross e764!!!!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #749 on: March 31, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »
I wonder what the D-Pad solution looks like.  Is it a left JoyCon with a traditional D-pad instead of the buttons? or instead of the stick?  Do you do the same thing on the right JoyCon? Is a right d-pad JoyCon even needed?