Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 Review  (Read 97277 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 Review
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
Just a few things to clear up.

In terms of some conspiracy to pull down the Metacritic score, that's an impossibility. Note that we posted this review literally as soon as the embargo lifted, just like every site out there. We didn't wait a week, look at the Metacritic score, and tailor our score accordingly to generate outrage. We do care about traffic, but our aim is to generate that traffic by getting the review up right away, not skewing the score for the sake of being contrarian.

In terms of Neal being "tired" of Mario Kart, I think that's being blown out of proportion. I would say "overly familiar" with the series would be more accurate. And you know what cures somebody of familiarity? A surprise. Something that has a fresh feel. Neal has stated quite clearly in this review that Mario Kart 8 has very little of that for series veterans, and I think that's fair.  We're all old school Nintendo gamers here at NWR and it takes a lot to impress us, so if we say something's good, it's good. In other words, Nintendo can't give us the same old same old and expect us to give it a pass and an unreserved thumbs up.

In terms of this review affecting sales of the game, understand that our review is but a ripple in the pool. We have a niche audience and limited reach, but our audience really is like our staff: long-term Nintendo fans, extremely knowledgeable, very well-versed in its games and the history of its franchises.  For the most part I think they already have a firm grip on what games they're going to buy, but they know that we appreciate Nintendo games the way they do and they like to hear what we think about them and appreciate the opportunity to voice their agreement/disagreement.  Couple this with the fact that whatever score we give, high or low, will be evened out by opposingly high/low scores in the Metacritic rollup and I think a real impact on sales is virtually nonexistent. Heck, we aren't even big enough to get mentioned in articles like these:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-15-critical-consensus-mario-kart-8-is-a-triumph-of-familiarity
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/15/metareview-mario-kart-8/

If we were truly going for clickbait by posting a lower score than than the majority of other sites, then our grand strategy is failing miserably. Or should I cackle malevolently because it brought, what, three new users to our site?  If you plan on sticking around and contributing to our little community, please do and judge us in the long term instead of the short term. However, if you came here for the sole purpose of crapping on us, I have some words for you.

For people to come to NWR for the first time in order to question our integrity as a site and the integrity of our reviewers (Neal especially) is laughable, because you have no context for your statements.  You haven't been around and observed how things are done here to have any basis for criticism beyond a knee-jerk reaction to a score that, in your subjective opinion, should be higher than somebody else's subjective opinion.  It's not that our reviewers are beyond reproach - we've made mistakes in the past and will make them in the future - it's that over time (and I mean real time, 15 years as we were founded in 1999) I think the track record shows that we always give games a fair shot, and post our legitimate opinions, rather than what Nintendo, our readers, or our advertisers want to hear.  We're one of the longest-running independent voices in the Nintendo community and have done nothing but invest our own time and money into giving the company free publicity (nobody gets paid here at NWR, we are all volunteers) for over a decade. I think we've earned the benefit of the doubt.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
what he said, plus don't let me speak for the site, staff or others here, I am pretty new myself. I just stir easy.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
-unrelated- I deleted the Facebook comments - they are not relevant to the discussion going on here.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »
Thanks, that was my fault.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline deepsouth

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
@NWR LINDY

I didn't come here to question the integrity of the website or any reviewer for that matter. Nor did I come here to stir up trouble. I'm not trying to disrespect the site, and I'm sure you have Many knowledgable people here.  I came on here becouse I was looking up Mario Kart 8 reviews, and was happy to see it was getting great reviews across the boards. Except here. This was the lowest score and I was curious as to why. As a die hard Nintendo fan I had the right to know why one of my favorite games got such a low score. So I read Neals review and it seemed like he was a little tired of the series. So I commented on that. I am a die hard Nintendo fan, and I'm usually defending Nintendo alone in a mass of Xbots and Sonyans. I will Defend Nintendo no matter what site I'm on. Yes, even against Nintendo fans themselves. I know that makes me a fanboy, but so be it. I will stand by my opinion that a 7.5 rating is far to low of a score, however i'm not gonna continue to shove it down anyones throat. I do understand now why Neal scored it low, even though I disagree. You know, if this site is full of old school die hard Nintendo fans, technically I should fit right in.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
@NWR LINDY

I didn't come here to question the integrity of the website or any reviewer for that matter. Nor did I come here to stir up trouble. I'm not trying to disrespect the site, and I'm sure you have Many knowledgable people here.  I came on here becouse I was looking up Mario Kart 8 reviews, and was happy to see it was getting great reviews across the boards. Except here. This was the lowest score and I was curious as to why. As a die hard Nintendo fan I had the right to know why one of my favorite games got such a low score. So I read Neals review and it seemed like he was a little tired of the series. So I commented on that. I am a die hard Nintendo fan, and I'm usually defending Nintendo alone in a mass of Xbots and Sonyans. I will Defend Nintendo no matter what site I'm on. Yes, even against Nintendo fans themselves. I know that makes me a fanboy, but so be it. I will stand by my opinion that a 7.5 rating is far to low of a score, however i'm not gonna continue to shove it down anyones throat. I do understand now why Neal scored it low, even though I disagree. You know, if this site is full of old school die hard Nintendo fans, technically I should fit right in.

OK, I'm fascinated to know how your at best 3 track demo experience with Mario Kart 8 not only tells you that 7.5 is too low a score, but that it's one of your "favorite" games before it's even released.  You should probably leave and cut your losses now if you feel it's up to this site to agree with your preconception of what Nintendo games should be scored simply because it's a Nintendo-centric site: you're making even other Nintendo fanboys look reasonable by comparison.  When you have me looking back with nostalgia on the days of Ninhuggles (aka "Pro") and TJSpyke, you're doing something wrong.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
Are you kidding me? I've played every mario kart game including this one briefly. The track design is second to none. The anti-gravity adds alot of depth to the races, and changes your usual strategy. The horn can save you from the blue shell which you can get in first place by the way. The graphics are just stunning, easily the best looking nintendo game ever. I personally like the roster, online tournaments, MK tv (to be fair I'm unsure about that). But need I continue? Becouse I can. The game is amazing, easily the best mario kart in the series.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2014, 12:00:36 AM »
What I'm looking forward to as usual, is getting three stars in every cup. Then I will set up massive tournaments. I will send invites to this site, you are all welcome to race with me :) Gonna be great.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:48 AM »
Broodwars, I think your taking my liking the game more personal than I'm taking the 7.5 score. lol
And by the way, I don't give games passes just becouse they are nintendo games. Your preconception of me is off track.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:15 AM »
I have to admit, I lied about the number of copies of Mario Kart: Double Dash I own... I was going off memory and I forgot...

I knew I had six cases plus the EU version (which I didn't count since I can't really play)... but I forgot that one of my cases is a dual-disc case with a disc-only copy I picked up cheap.  The other five copies are all versions with the bonus disc. :D

This picture doesn't include my digital versions, of course... but still fun.

If only I could talk my wife into that two-unit Mario Kart GP set-up I saw for $24k.. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
Quote from: Deepsouth in a nutshell
Oh yeah, well I played every game in the series and I think the mario kart series is fine, therefore Neal's opinion of the series is wrong WRONG
WRONG!!!!!

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2014, 12:49:59 AM »
What's your opinion of the game?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2014, 01:01:32 AM »
let me put it this way, between my undying hatred of mk7 and the questionable decisions made with 8 I am basically picking it up so I can get into that CN deal.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2014, 01:03:26 AM »
let me put it this way, between my undying hatred of mk7 and the questionable decisions made with 8 I am basically picking it up so I can get into that CN deal.
I'll see you on the track then, Poképal. I've got a banana peel with your name on it. >:D
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »
So.... 1 out of 10, Whats your rankng pokepal?

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:16 AM »
Well, I give it a 9.5 outta 10. Thats right. Deduct half a point for lack of proper battle mode.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »
Whats your score pokepal?

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »
"I don't give games passes just becouse they are nintendo games. Your preconception of me is off track."

Yet a few post back you state NWR should have given MK8 a pass because they are an Nintendo fansite using Nintendo's name to promote their site and Nintendo really needs the sales.  Talk about your double standards.

"The game is amazing, easily the best mario kart in the series."  Maybe but that doesn't mean standards don't go up over the years as well.  Excluding battle mode and not having features that other games have (party chat, off-screen play for mp) means the game is still lacking in areas.

---------------------------------------

For all those bitching about the score, try reading the damn review first instead of focusing on the final score.  Neal made valid fooking points and it's an solid review.   

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »
Broodwars, I think your taking my liking the game more personal than I'm taking the 7.5 score. lol

I have particular disdain for the hive mind mentality of fanboys, and you're fortunate the terms of service here forbid me from going any further than that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2014, 08:23:33 AM »
I'm fortunate? lol. ohhhh, noo. lol. Just because you don't know quality when you see it. And don't hold back broodwars. Let it out man. I'm a grown man, I can take anything YOU can throw at me, trust me.. But talk about about hive mentality broodwars.  A few negative criticisms about captain neal and his review and every single member of this site wants to take a shot at me. Honestly I'm tired of defending myself against you goons. So every single one of you share Neals exact same opinion of the game? I find that hard to believe. Anyway, I'm tired of you, you wouldn't know a good game if it slapped you in the face..

Ymeegod, 'sigh'....

I said it was bad timing, and that I thought it was ironic that a site with Nintendo in it's name would have given MK 8 the lowest score on metacritic.  I never said Nintendo games get a pass just because they are Nintendo games. I don't have double standards, you are wrong. I was really tough on a Link Between Worlds. I though it was over rated. But what are you opinions of the game? How come everyone here is just in agreement with Neal that this is the worst MK game in the series? Whats happening here is the definition of Herd mentality. You guys can't think for yourself and your scared to question the leader for fear of banishment.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
Funny thing is, when I was about an hour into playing Mario Kart 8 for review, I was singing it's praises much like deepsouth is right now. It was when I played it more that the cracks began to show and I wound up a little more lukewarm.

Also, most people I'm seeing aren't necessarily agreeing with my review in a herd mentality. They're just defending my right to have a unique opinion. If people turn out to love MK8 here, that's awesome. I won't banish anybody. That's not how we do things here.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline deepsouth

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Neal, you obviously have a right to any opinion but they are rushing to your aid. It is a herd mentality. But anyways, what are the cracks that show up after an hour of gameplay? Did you rate MK 7 just as low as this one? Did the same cracks show after an hour of gameplay in that one?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
Also, most people I'm seeing aren't necessarily agreeing with my review in a herd mentality. They're just defending my right to have a unique opinion.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
Neal, you obviously have a right to any opinion but they are rushing to your aid. It is a herd mentality. But anyways, what are the cracks that show up after an hour of gameplay? Did you rate MK 7 just as low as this one? Did the same cracks show after an hour of gameplay in that one?

I literally wrote a review about how I feel about MK8.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline buttle

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
Yea, this is a bad review.  Mario Kart 8 is a multiplayer racing game, and the he barely comments on that.  He said it was "great fun" and that's about it.  The tracks, he had only positive things to say, but he complained about the formula.  Which there really aren't that many formulaic aspects?  Either way, he didn't explain why it was a bad thing.

And as for the weak 1 player stuff, and the uninspired battle mode.  That is every Mario Kart.  People still complain about IGN's 7.9 on Double Dash, and that game had the same great racing, and same weak other stuff.  But people rememeber it as a bad review beccause that racing was so damn good.

So for me, I would have prefered an in depth review of the racing and just a quick note to say all that stuff is weak like it's always been.

And do we know that they won't add some extra 1 player stuff like they did on the Wii?  The review didn't say.