Author Topic: I do want the Wii U to fail  (Read 35970 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: I do want the Wii U to fail
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »
I don't think that's going to be possible anymore...the "4-6 year" thing for consoles. Actually I think it already ended.

Companies are always trying to cut down on costs and making the hardware smaller and easier to build is just another way to maximize profits.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:17:38 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2012, 03:23:56 AM »
I don't think that's going to be possible anymore...the "4-6 year" thing for consoles. Actually I think it already ended

THEN THEY ALL DESERVE TO FAILLLLL!!!!!! D&
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »
yeah its going to be weird this generation. The graphics are already so good. 5th-6th generation ps3 and xbox 360 games will look great 2nd generation wii u games and on will look even better. 2nd and on ps4 and xbox3 games will look amazing. ITs going to be at a point where the push for better graphics isn't going to be as necessary.

I think we already saw a prototype 720 controller, so its all going to be game wars. Who has better games? I think Nintendo better watch out though, because Sony and Microsoft have some good stuff nowadays. I like Nintendo, but I think they are behind at this point. They haven't been in the forefront for a long time, and they had better get in gear. I know Nintendo isn't going anywhere though, but I would like them to make a greater effort.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
1) I created the thread in the lounge. Someone (you?) moved it out into the open where it is getting a lot of focus and attention. I didn't intend for that to happen.

You intended to make a thread for no one to see?

2) I only created the thread after having to suffer with that title under my name for the last however many months since June, and even though other mods changed my title at least twice during that time period you kept changing it back. You were the one who dissected it and blew it out of proportion.

A) "Suffer"?  #FirstWorldProblems
B) One other mod changed your title to "makes horrible, offensive analogies." and "Puts the "ass" in in assumptions." - and you're telling me those are better than your own words?
C) I'd hardly say a title change is "dissecting" it.  Which is odd you'd say that, coming from the guy who was, just days ago, upset because having just that one line takes it "out of context".

3) I tried to talk to you about it in private over PM but you ignored me.

18 minutes.  There was 18 minutes between the time you sent me the first of two PMs and posted the second message in this thread.  I am NOT at your  beck and call.  I do not jump at your every command, wish or desire.  If you expect me, online or not, to respond to your aggressive PM in 18 minutes - after you had already created this thread and after you then sent me a second message (9 minutes before posting the second reply in this thread), then you have unreasonable expectations.  I don't always respond to text messages that quickly - let alone hostile messages from people on the internet.

So it just seems like you are out to get me for some reason and I don't understand why. I never did anything to you.
You think it seems like I'm "out to get you" because I gave you a goofy title that happened to be something you said and virtually no other reason?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:40:24 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
This really needs to be taken to PM. Unclebob, follow the rules that you enforce and STFU. No one needs to see this farce any longer.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »
Yes. I'm not even going to say "probably." Nintendo's success with the Wii isn't inherently tied to Sony's troubles at launch.
I think the Wii would have been just as successful. But the Wii hasn't quite passed the sales of the PS1, and is pretty far from the PS2, so I think the PS3 would have sold even more than the Wii had it been competitively priced. As for markets, each one is different, and I think the videogame market will continue to play out as it has been. So we shall agree to disagree on that point.

Oh, and also the XLs (Both DSi and 3DS). If I used my own personal tastes as a way to judge them, I'd say they deserved to fail (don't fit in your pocket AND price increase?!?!? That's RIDICULOUS!!!1!). But there are people who think otherwise and I wish them joy, not heartbreak.
But bigger is better! And there are other ways to carry handhelds besides pockets, though I don't really play handhelds outside of home so the portability aspect doesn't appeal to me to begin with. Hence, I'll take a bigger screen and more comfortable design and forgo a smaller size.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
I'd just like to state, for the record, that I think Chozo's current title is boring, and does not fit his persona.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
You think it seems like I'm "out to get you" because I gave you a goofy title that happened to be something you said and virtually no other reason?

You wouldn't let it die, and when it was changed you kept changing it back. I tolerated it, and when it was changed I thought that would be the end of it, but then the next day it was changed back. That's happened twice. I can tolerate something so long but it was starting to seem like you were going to force it to be a permanent thing. Its ran its course and everyone knows about it, so just let it die now please?

And btw, I LOLed at your new title. Thumbs up on that. :)
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
Yeah, its interesting.  Graphics can always get better.  We have not quite made it to the special effects of movies or animated features...not even close.

However, the question is cost effective graphics...and I don't see them getting much better than they are now, without just completely bloating the budgets and making it unprofitable.  Now, I think there are still improvements to be made in lighting, animation, and much more...but not significantly so...not to the average gamer. 

So, I really am really curious what happens this next generation, and beyond, because it will literally define the future of gaming...and really until gaming gains an audience the size of movies then I don't see that graphics can improve to movie standards or even gaming can make moves to make itself more affordable to appeal to larger market.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
This really needs to be taken to PM. Unclebob, follow the rules that you enforce and STFU. No one needs to see this farce any longer.

I have been nothing but respectful in my replies to CG.  But let me assure you, if you were to talk like this ("STFU") to any other member of this forum, I would not hesitate to ban you.

You wouldn't let it die, [...]. Its ran its course and everyone knows about it, so just let it die now please?

Not letting stuff die and continuing to harp on it long after it's been ran into the ground?

That sounds familiar.  Would you like to bring up how incompetent you think Reggie is in yet another very vaguely related thread anytime soon?

Oh, and - all that hard work in replying to each question/concern you had and you only bother to acknowledge one part of my reply?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
No need to get your cock hard, Unclebob. You've already proven your dominance with Chozo. Give us some breathing room.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
Oh, and - all that hard work in replying to each question/concern you had and you only bother to acknowledge one part of my reply?

1) I don't want to keep this dragging on so I only responded to one thing because I want it to get wrapped up, done, and over with.

2) I did give you a very detailed and lengthy reply earlier in the thread and I don't even know if you read it because you certainly didn't reply to any of it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=39525.msg761392#msg761392

3) I'm trying to get along with you, so please stop hammering me on every single thing. I even gave you a compliment and an applaud for your title which I thought was funny.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
I read your longer reply that addressed the specific "I do want the Wii U to fail" comment.  I didn't respond because A) A lot of it covered a lot of the same ground you've covered multiple times in multiple threads and B) It deals mostly with your opinions, which aren't really something that's "right" or "wrong".

I responded point-by-point to your other post because most of it was aimed at me and covered issues that could be resolved through factual analysis of the details (like giving me 18 minutes to reply to a PM and such).

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
As much as I enjoy this. Hint I don't really enjoy this I kinda think this has gone on long enough. It is like you two want to get in the last word or something.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »

If it takes the Wii U to falter in order to prompt Nintendo to stop d***ing about with tablet controllers, motion controls and 3D, and for them to make something that is more console than toy, then perhaps that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I'd hate to break it to you but consoles are toys. One day you'll realize this and put petty internet squabble behind you as I did. And before you question why I'm even here calling you out on something like this, I'll be blunt; I'm going through some **** and need a familiar "hang out" so to speak and I've been a part of this community for years. Also, I like being a snarky bastard sometimes :) .

Personally I feel the outrage between "nintendo going casual" is just the fact that the Wii's success it made teens and long-time adult gamer's realize this fact, and like an insecure child, they lash out about it because their little bubble has burst. I'm honestly surprised that when Sony and Microsoft started trying to put out "casual" software that those fans didn't act like schoolyard children who stopped playing with their favorite toy because either everyone else had it, or girls played with it too, so it was no longer "cool".

Guarantee my peers here didn't buy their first console, their parents did, and I also guarantee it was from a toy-store as opposed to an electronics store. Face it, these are games for your entertainment. Unlike say a card game, or a dice game, you're using a controller to manipulate the game, thus you're playing with a toy.

Funny how there's nothing wrong with playing with these toys as an adult, but that most adults playing them really need to grow up to realize it. I don't want to start the "are videogames art" debate here but honestly, for anyone out there that thinks having the best graphics matters; go watch a hollywood blockbuster like the Avengers instead, cuz even PS4 won't touch that level of detail, and that's a promise. For those that try to validate "core/mature" games with "deep stories" go read a novel because the majority of game's stories these days are nothing that hasn't been done before; they try to be movies which usually get their stories from a book anyway. Point is, you're playing with a toy. Deal with it.

Having one circle pad on the 3DS only to release not one but two versions of the circle pad pro, 1not having analogue sticks on the Wii U gamepad, having a touch screen on the gamepad which is far less functional than those screens which most people are now familar with, having a Wii U pro controller which does not have force feedback, offering only 32 GB of internal storage, these are all things which Nintendo has either not acknowledged as being issues or has chosen to ignore for cost purposes.

True, Nintendo's bizarreness has helped to distinguish them in the market, but having gone through all this before as a Wii owner, I'm feeling a little weary of their wacky decision making. Ultimately, I just want something that isn't a chore. I don't want friend codes, I don't want poor online services, I don't want 8 and 9 month gaps in the release schedule, I don't want to have to use 3 different controllers, or motion controls, or tablet controllers. I want my games to be complex, engaging, challenging and, yes, I would like for the graphical capability of the system to not be a hinderance to the imaginations of the game designers. I want exactly what you've stated. I want Nintendo to gain a certain level of equality with their competitors rather than continuing to play catch up.

2What I don't want is a Wii U, lol.

1. I hope that part is a typo because I'm pretty sure the gamepad has analogue sticks. Perhaps you're referencing to the original version shown that appeared to have the 3DS-like circle-pads? Just wanted to point that out..

2. Fair opinion, but if you know you don't want one, why spend the time making post after post in such a negative tone about it? I understand this is a forum but.. look at me, I don't like the majority of PS3 and 360 offerings but I don't go into those topics and talk trash to people who have a differing opinion.

Yes, Mario Paint is considered a casual game, but for some reason I actually enjoyed that and would be happy if they made a modern version of it, but for some reason I didn't like Wii Sports or Wii Music. I gave both of those games a chance, but they didn't appeal to me at all. 3So why is it that I enjoyed the casual Mario Paint but not these? I don't know. Maybe its the Miis or the waggle controls. I don't know. But there is definitely a difference with this generation than all others.

As far as Nintendo's tyrannical dealings with third parties go, I don't condone that, but it didn't really impact the level of support Nintendo received in those days because they were a monopoly and were able to get away with it. It was only in later generations that they suffered the consequences for it. 4But from the perspective of a gamer (and especially one who was just a kid in those days) I was oblivious to that. Now I'm aware of it, but back then I didn't know any better.

Read point #3 and then point #4. Have you ever thought that perhaps the reason you like something like Mario Paint over Wii Sports/Music is because you were a kid in those days and were oblivious to the difference between casual/hardcore? Really think about that, all of you. If we didn't have gaming "journalism" the way we have today, if every person and their grandmother didn't have such easy access to spreading their opinions the way we do these days, if no one planted that seed in your head that "casual" gamers are girls and grandparents and that "hardcore" meant rated M FPS's or whatever; that you may just be able to enjoy something for what it is?

Part of me feels sad for the younger generation of gamer's being brought up in the "casual vs hardcore" war the internet keeps campaigning, then again when I was a kid Nintendo was "teh kiddie" and it didn't stop me from enjoying Mario Paint as much as I enjoyed something like Super Contra III. Maybe that's because it was only relegated to playgrounds and when I got home I was content playing my games instead of at a computer reading over and over and over again how nintendo sucks and they'll fail any minute now.

I miss those days. Oh wait, I can just choose not to go-online (to gaming sites at least).

Not necessarily. Some of my Nintendo DS cartridges don't work anymore because the pins have started to rust.

Dang... what do you do to those things? :D

ThomasO must be blowing in  his cartridges, OLD SCHOOL!!!!

@Iansane: See that's how you make a post with a differing opinion without coming across like you're trying to pick a fight. He's been doing this so long he's a pro. Sure there are the occasional flames he fans but I chalk that up to him being riled up after a long day of work or his hockey team losing, or something. I still can't help but feel that even if Nintendo gives him the next Super Mario World that he desires, he'll dislike it. That's probably because they have and I believe he didn't like it (Galaxy).

Also, I really feel that you just have this inner loathing for motions controls and are either lying about them not working for you in all games or are subconsciously (or not!) playing these games wrong because outside of games that are clearly buggy (the first Red Steel for example), I don't recall having any issues with motion controls in any of the 1st or 3rd party Wii games I've played/own. Maybe you've had a defective controller this whole time and didn't even know it.

One last thing: LuigiDude, damn you for making me hungry. Serano*: you won the thread with your comment

*I apologize if I got the username wrong.

I don't think that's going to be possible anymore...the "4-6 year" thing for consoles. Actually I think it already ended

THEN THEY ALL DESERVE TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!! D&

Fixed :)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Guarantee my peers here didn't buy their first console, their parents did, and I also guarantee it was from a toy-store as opposed to an electronics store.

Well, my parents bought the first console we had in our home (Mattel Intellvision - whoo!), but it was bought at a local Electronics store (Risley's... chain still exists, but the local store is closed).  I remember renting BetaMax tapes there.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »
Guarantee my peers here didn't buy their first console, their parents did, and I also guarantee it was from a toy-store as opposed to an electronics store.

Well, my parents bought the first console we had in our home (Mattel Intellvision - whoo!), but it was bought at a local Electronics store (Risley's... chain still exists, but the local store is closed).  I remember renting BetaMax tapes there.

Dang you UB! My point still stands, they're toys!

Also, I don't know how much older you are so I maybe you don't count as a peer :P I'll be very specific about my definition of peer until I'm proven right 8)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »
Geesh... I'm only 6 years older than you... :D

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2012, 02:20:59 AM »

If it takes the Wii U to falter in order to prompt Nintendo to stop d***ing about with tablet controllers, motion controls and 3D, and for them to make something that is more console than toy, then perhaps that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I'd hate to break it to you but consoles are toys. One day you'll realize this and put petty internet squabble behind you as I did. And before you question why I'm even here calling you out on something like this, I'll be blunt; I'm going through some **** and need a familiar "hang out" so to speak and I've been a part of this community for years. Also, I like being a snarky bastard sometimes :) .

I disagree strongly. Video games can of course be something for children to play with but that does not make all video games toys. Neither are video games, for me at least, merely an amusement or something of inconsequence. I don't want to go into the whole 'are video games art?' debate, but for me video games are a medium much like books and film. As far as I can see the only connection between video games and toys is that they both involve player agency. A toy, however, relys almost entirely on player agency, whereas with video games there's a dialogue between designer and player.
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2012, 02:25:02 AM »
Video games can of course be something for children to play with but that does not make all video games toys.

Errr... Toys are things adults can play with too.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:29 AM »
No need to get your cock hard, Unclebob. You've already proven your dominance with Chozo. Give us some breathing room.
lol, is this what it means to "stick it to the man" ?

"No need to get your cock hard" you know I have never even heard that before, is it a homosexual thing?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »
Video games can of course be something for children to play with but that does not make all video games toys.

Errr... Toys are things adults can play with too.

Fair enough. Replace children with people then. My point still stands.
Gouge away.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »
Consoles aren't toys. Lives are won and lost on them every day. Its serious business. J/K
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »
However, the question is cost effective graphics...and I don't see them getting much better than they are now, without just completely bloating the budgets and making it unprofitable.  Now, I think there are still improvements to be made in lighting, animation, and much more...but not significantly so...not to the average gamer.
I'm with you on this. Graphics can and will improve. However, we're at a point where games already look so good. New engines, techniques, and magic will make it easier to match or exceed what the best of today's most impressive games offer. Is it worth it to continue pushing graphics when the improvements are becoming less and less noticeable, especially in a gameplay environment? Would it, then, be better to keep budgets lower and get products out sooner?

This is one of the reasons why I'm not terribly worried about Wii U's capabilities. Companies have been dropping like flies and the ones that are left need to reevaluate their priorities. It will be increasingly more difficult to wow people with graphics when the improvements are becoming increasingly more marginal. I'm amazed that it's been nearly a decade since The Wind Waker launched on GameCube. Feel old? The game, mainly because of its art direction, still hold up today to me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:59:52 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:15 PM »

You be Only Half Right.  My first system was an NES and My Sister and I pooled our money together to buy it from the Castle Toys'R'Us competitor back in the day.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.