Author Topic: Skyward sword - perfect controls?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Pantburster

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
Skyward sword - perfect controls?
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
Now that skyward sword is out there with amazing reviews complementing its amazing, nay PERFECT controls, is it really wise to ditch the wiimote for a Tablet/analog thingy for WiiU? could this be a backwards step? Bare in mind the WiiU is gonna support multiple tablets so common sense would suggest the end of the now vindicated Wiimote as was the 'support' for gamecube pads on Wii.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Skyward sword - perfect controls?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »
Nintendo is not ditching the Wii Remote for the Wii U controller, the Wii U will still support the Wii Remote (and actually be required for multiplayer games since the Wii U will only support 2 of those Wii U controllers). I think the Zelda team is talented enough to make a good game with any controller, so I have no doubt they could do a great job with Wii U too. I am glad that Skyward Sword controls so well though, and wish other developers will take notice at how well controls with Wii MotionPlus can be.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
That all being said though do you think the next Zelda game would go back?  I can see the motion control being a Trope for the series now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
It made (some) sense for Nintendo to ditch GC controls for the Wii since some multiplayer games like SSBB and Mario Kart were designed to be able to use both in a time in the system's life where you'd not likely have 4 WiiMotes, but still have some GC controllers left over. It made for an easier transition. With WiiU, you'll never have 4 uPads since the system can't support it, so WiiMote support has to exist for the life of the system. Also, there will still be motion controlled gamed and such.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
What I think is far more likely is that Nintendo will design a new, more advanced motion controller for the Wii U, and the next Zelda will support that.  With Nintendo's love this generation of creating peripherals that are created for 1 or 2 specific games and then rarely supported otherwise, it would fit their pattern to do that again with the next Zelda.  Nintendo loves any excuse to throw out new hardware accessories they can use in marketing.

I don't see the Wiimote+ being used for any game Nintendo makes that they really want to use to show off the Wii U, especially as the years go on and the Wiimote+ looks increasingly antiquated in motion control technology.  The less advanced games like the next incarnation of the Wii series would probably still support it, but for the most part I think it'll just be supported for BC on Wii titles.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:30:18 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
I'll still have to try them out myself before I agree with Skyward Sword having "perfect" controls.  Nintendo isn't ditching motion control with the Wii U, it just isn't the focus like with the Wii.

Nintendo talked big about motion control being the new standard and all this and it took until what will likely literally be the LAST Wii game they make to finally get it right.  Five years of half-baked waggle bullshit until they finally got it right.  To me that doesn't suggest that this is the ideal control scheme for videogames, but rather that it something that better suits being an option.  If you play a game designed for a lightgun or a steering wheel it just kicks ass but you wouldn't play EVERYTHING on it.  That's the problem with the Wii.  Nintendo thought this would work for everything and it didn't and then they would force it into all sorts of games where it did not belong without any option to avoid it (DKC Returns is so frustrating to control I would buy an "OPC" version of it).

It being an option on the Wii U allows Nintendo to make the odd game that really benefits from motion control and let everything else have normal controls.  That's what Sony and MS do and that's why Move and Kinect didn't make those systems "casual" in the eyes of gamers.  Some games support it and some don't and that's the way that makes sense.

The Wii also had the little problem that without motion control it was essentially a Gamecube.  Nintendo needed it to be a "standard" or their little scam was exposed.  The Wii U doesn't need motion control or the tablet to justify its existence.  It has enough of a technical upgrade that a game can just use conventional controls and differentiate itself from a Wii title, or even a PS360 title, with improved graphics or AI or any other improvement from having better hardware.  The tablet and remote can be optional accessories and the Wii U should still be a worthwhile purchase.  Nintendo doesn't have to "sell" the concept of motion control or the tablet in every game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:41:03 AM »
well if anyone remmebers Wind Waker, you could use the GBA and tingle to do some ****, so expect that to return.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline wiigamer

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »
You won't have to ditch the wiimote, since the Wii U will definitely have games that require the wiimote, even with the redesign.  I figure out you cannot play a dancing game with the wii u tablet.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:28:20 PM by wiigamer »