Poll

Have you gotten the amount of usage out of your 3DS as you expected so far?

I use it as much as I expected
14 (26.4%)
I use it a lot more than I expected
18 (34%)
I use it less than I expected
11 (20.8%)
It's dusty/Still on it's original charge
3 (5.7%)
Where the games yo?! I'm still waiting to buy
7 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: 3DS Usage  (Read 20013 times)

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
3DS Usage
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed on a lot of podcasts and across a few message boards people complaining about how little they play their 3DS.  I currently own 6 games with the following play times (gotta love the Activity Log!)

Ghost Recon: 4 hrs 41 min (currently playing)
Rayman 3D: 8 hr 3 min
Steel Diver: 1 hr 24 min (my least played 3DS game thus far)
Super Street Fighter IV: 12 hr 36 min
Ridge Racer 3D: 23 hr 51 min
Pilotwings Resort: 21 hr 17 min 

I bought the system at launch and, as you can see, have really been getting a lot of use out of it.  Of course I play my system often due to my work schedule/lack of free time at home and my preference in the current roster of games (I own almost half of the launch line up and have really enjoyed myself with every title thus far). 

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that the system has plenty of solid titles for only being out on the market in NA for less than two months. So why complain of the lack of games? And on the heels of that, why buy the system for only one game and then complain that there's nothing to play on it like it's been out for 6-8 months with only the same games it launched with? Maybe I'm just being a fanboy and having my internet feelings hurt  ::) , but it always bugged the hell out of me when people complained about their being nothing to play on THEIR Wii (due to lack of money to buy all the awesome?) and THEIR Wii was collecting dust (due to bad  house cleaning habits?) and now people are already starting up that crap with a system that's been out for how long? 6 or 7 weeks? And what's worse is that the majority of the complaints come from people WHO BOUGHT THE SYSTEM AT LAUNCH! If you are an early adopter, then you are also a person who pretty much knew what was coming in the launch window and what was available day one for software. So their's no excuse to complain about "lack of games" or "my system is getting dusty" because YOU bought the damn thing knowing full well what you were getting into!

I have no problems about people who DON'T own the system yet and complain about software variety and lack of interest until something comes along to make them take the plunge.  Those people are backing up their noise with their wallets, which is how it should be.  I don't know, I'm just ranting now at this point...

To all those 3DS owners in NWR land, how much usage do you get out of your 3DS? 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:53:20 PM by Razorkid »
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
I agree completely.  I see everyone complaining about the launch line up being horrible and there being not enough games.  Seriously, have these people never been around for a console launch before?  It could certainly be a heck of a lot worse (Ex. DS launch).

I also agree with the Wii.  I just don't have the time to play all of the games that I would want to.  So either people have way more time to play games than I do or they are too picky.

Ghost Recon:  42:22
Samurai Warriors: 9:13
Okamiden: 19:12 (currently playing)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Mii Plaza: 0:49
3D Sound: 0:07
Dora Puppy: 0:02
3DS Camera: 1:40
FaceRaider: 3:18
Download Play: 1:05
Activity Log: 0:33 (Most Played Lol)
Mii: 0:22
SSFIV: 13:18
Settings: 0:23
White Knuckle Video: 0:20
Notifications: 0:18
Friends List: 0:14 (Which Reminds me I have a lot of people here to add)
Game Notes: 0:04
Super Monkey Ball: 2:17
AR Games: 0:16
Professore Layton and the Diabolical Box: 5:01
EBA: 1:02
Meteos Disney Magic: 0:07 (Long enough to justify my curiosity for $6)

So... If it had a GBA port FF:IV be pretty big on that list but it doesn't.

So lets see... 27:15 Playing games.  I have about 67,904 steps logged. 

I don't know if I say thats a huge success for a new system at that cost but, it could be worse. (I spend about 13hrs a week doing schedule WoW raids over 3 days to put in prospective how much time I be thinking so for comparison thats only 2 weeks of gaming. I also beat Portal 2 during the time since it started and put in a bit of time on FF:IV.)

I like the 3DS and I want to use it more but it's not overly compelling right this now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
Chrono Trigger: 18:19
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition: 11:26
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: 9:25
StreetPass Mii Plaza: 3:12

So, a few days after launch, I impulse bought a 3DS. I had the money, and I knew I'd be getting one when Resident Evil: Mercenaries and/or Kid Icarus came out (and I assumed there would not be a price drop in that amount of time). So, why wait? Additionally, the 3DS has better battery life than my old launch DS Phat.

I guess I'm semi-disappointed in Street Fighter IV. I very rarely buy fighters and I haven't really played a Street Fighter game since Super NES. It seems like it's pretty much the same game, just with more characters. There's no unlockables or any real goals to the game. I guess there's achievements, but I don't feel too motivated by them. On the plus, the graphics look good and it's a well polished game. I was expecting to really be wowed by how much the series had improved in the last 17 years... but I feel like it hasn't changed much at all. I was hoping to love it, instead, I like it somewhat, I guess...

I bought Chrono Trigger about a week before the 3DS came out. I found it in a bargain bin at Best Buy. (Guys, Chrono Trigger does not belong in a bargain bin!) I kind of think that the Super NES version is still the best, but it's kind of nice to be able to play it in bed.

And then, because I have gaming A.D.D. and because I got a hankering for some 2Dvania, I started playing Dawn of Sorrow.

The semester just ended and now, I'm working more: this week, 48 hours. Also, I'm playing Diablo II with one friend and Resident Evil 5 with another friend. And I've been trying to finish up Pikmin 2. Oh, and I played through Portal (1).

I'm by no means feeling any "hurt" from a lack of quality 3DS games.

I'm almost tempted to get Ghost Recon. It looks somewhat like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which I loved. But it's also been compared to Advance Wars, which I didn't like. Ultimately, I fear that I'd buy it and not have time to play it.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
I've basically only played Face Raiders, AR Games, and made a couple Miis (and got some from the QR code thread). I want to buy a game, but I don't really think anything out right now warrants a purchase. There are some awesome games, but nothing that I want to buy yet. That of course will change with Resident Evil.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline n-phage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
I'm almost tempted to get Ghost Recon. It looks somewhat like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which I loved. But it's also been compared to Advance Wars, which I didn't like. Ultimately, I fear that I'd buy it and not have time to play it.

Having played all three games perhaps I can comment on this in a hopefully useful manner.  For reference, I also did not like Advanced Wars.  However, I also got bored with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and quit playing it long before beating it.  Whereas in FFTA you generally fight mostly short battles (if I remember right) in Ghost Reacon battles are typically 30-45min with some being up to 1.5hrs.  If any of your main characters dies you have to start the battle from the beginning.  Playing on the hardest difficultly there were only 4-5 mission that I ever had to repeat and usually it is much easier the second time since you know what to expect.  If I was to compare Ghost Reacon to anything it would be Fire Emblem. 

Offline Oreanta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »
Hmmm... let's check out this Activity Log....

100 000 steps taken
160 hours total Play Time

Pokemon White - 81:29
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 35:32 (Accomplished solely by my dad)
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 10:56
Pilotwings Resort - 9:38
Nintendo 3DS Camera - 6:04 (How did I manage to do this?!?)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - 4:06 (None of the people in Saskatchewan have good puzzle pieces! But I beat Find Mii!)
AR Games - 2:51
Face Raiders - 1:46 (Hilarious game! My Face Collection includes Charlie Sheen and George Bush!)
Game Notes - 1:01 (This is a much better drawing tool than the one in 3DS Camera... more colours?)
System Settings - 0: 46
Nintendo 3DS Sound - 0:38

... and blah, blah, blah, the rest is boring :)

As you can clearly see, my 3DS has already been used quite extensively (although my copy of Twilight Princess for Wii has 200+ hours on it, somehow!) and I expect it to be played even more as soon as more games come out for it! Also, the battery has only died on me twice! I'm not having any problems with it, that's for sure.

Check out "The Other Side of the Flagpole", featured on the site! --> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/28260

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »
Hmmm... let's check out this Activity Log....

100 000 steps taken
160 hours total Play Time

Pokemon White - 81:29
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 35:32 (Accomplished solely by my dad)
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 10:56
Pilotwings Resort - 9:38
Nintendo 3DS Camera - 6:04 (How did I manage to do this?!?)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - 4:06 (None of the people in Saskatchewan have good puzzle pieces! But I beat Find Mii!)
AR Games - 2:51
Face Raiders - 1:46 (Hilarious game! My Face Collection includes Charlie Sheen and George Bush!)
Game Notes - 1:01 (This is a much better drawing tool than the one in 3DS Camera... more colours?)
System Settings - 0: 46
Nintendo 3DS Sound - 0:38

... and blah, blah, blah, the rest is boring :)

As you can clearly see, my 3DS has already been used quite extensively (although my copy of Twilight Princess for Wii has 200+ hours on it, somehow!) and I expect it to be played even more as soon as more games come out for it! Also, the battery has only died on me twice! I'm not having any problems with it, that's for sure.

So ~26 hours with 3DS specific experiences.  Though I have to say I'm a big fan of the circle pad over the D-Pad (Have been since NES) so, yeah I can see why you want to use it as a DS.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
So far I have enjoyed my 3DS.  As it has also served as a replacement for my original ds fat.  My time according to it goes as following.

1. Pilotwings Resort  9:59 
2. Animal Crossing Wild World 6:26
3. Super Street Fighter 4    3:24
4. Street pass Mii Plaza 2:24

Kinda drifts into junk and mingling of stuff after that.     So I guess that is over 22 hours spent with it.  To me it's such a big upgrade over my original ds, that I'm loving it just for revisiting old titles.  Just to see what they look like on a bright screen. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
Been meaning to post in here.

Play time: 129 titles, 65:57

Top Ten:
TRON Evolution @ 16:19
Last Window @ 11:12
New Super Mario Bros @ 9:02
  -DS Download Play @1:04 is #11, but that's all been NSMB as well
Street Fighter IV @ 6:00
Again @ 5:43
Mii Plaza @ 2:58
Friend List @2.58
Activity Log @2:07
AR Games @ 2:00
Mii Maker @1:30

Other 3DS games -
Nintendogs + Cats for 36 minutes
Nintendogs + Cats for 1 minute
Face Raiders for 25 minutes
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »
Did you try all of your DS games just to get their icons to load in the log?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Did you try all of your DS games just to get their icons to load in the log?
Maybe... :):D:D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
That's actually...brilliant? *Rustles together DS collection*
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »

Got mine at launch, with 3 games:

SF43D:  8 hours 23 minutes
Steel Diver:  7 hours 28 minutes
Pilotwings Resort:  19 hours and 59 minutes

Obviously, Pilotwings was the first game to really sink its teeth into me.  Man, I just could not put that down.  I just finally got 3 stars on all the missions, including that last little bastard Diamond pedal glider mission, so I'm ready to put it down for a while.  I was reading in other reviews that people finished Pilotwings in 8 to 10 hours?  Maybe if you're Maverick.

I'm getting into Steel Diver now, which is difficult, but superb.  No one seems to like, no, love this game except for me, so whatever.

So ~26 hours with 3DS specific experiences.  Though I have to say I'm a big fan of the circle pad over the D-Pad (Have been since NES) so, yeah I can see why you want to use it as a DS.

Yeah, but the thing is, I have an XL, so I'm not going back to that tiny 3DS screen for DS or DSiware anytime soon.  The XL...I cannot begin to describe how awesome it is to game on that thing, portability be damned.  If the prices for that thing drop sometime soon (which they haven't been, even for used), I'd recommend everyone pick it up if you still have DS games to play. 

The circle pad is ridiculously awesome, and surprisingly tough considering I've been abusing it a lot while playing SF43D.  When I do double circle supers, I am not gentle.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
That of course will change with Resident Evil.

You're referring to Mercenaries, I assume?  I'm hoping that the multi is really emphasized in that game, because if so, it's basically Left 4 Dead meets Resident Evil 4,  which will be all kinds of chocolatey awesome.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:23 PM »
I got some fairly interesting stats:

192,400 steps:

1st : Pilotwings Resort: 30:18
2nd: 3DS Camera: 21:34
3rd: AR games 11:48
4th: Mii Maker: 6:51
5th: 3DS Sound: 6:19
6th: Streetpass Mii Plaza: 4:54
7: Activity log: 3:40
8: Face Raiders: 1:38
9: Game Notes: 1:35
10: Professor Layton: Future: 1:25

I'm a total shutter bug and street pass and steps associated with FIND Mii has caused me to have my 3DS in my pocket every day so I got more play because of that.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
How can you spend 11 hours on the AR games....

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
How can you spend 11 hours on the AR games....

taking pictures mostly.

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

steps taken 353,516 had this for a week after launch
titles played 23

street pass 2:13
game notes 6 mins
notifications 8 mins
activity log 19 mins
face raiders 59 mins
download play 5 mins
mii maker 1:51
AR Games 1:28
Super Scribblenauts 3:27 beat it
camera 1:08
3d movie haha 7 mins watched it maybe 3 times
music 13 mins
chibi robo: Park patrol really liked, beat it 21:19
N+ 35 mins
system menu settings 41 mins
friend list 30 mins
res evil 1 minute
harvest moon 18 mins
GTA chinatown wars 8:16 on 3ds more on dsi
lego star wars 22:09 beat it
mario vs dk 2 march of minis 2:09
lego pirates 6:47 beat it
sonic collection 1:26

I have been doing A LOT on my 3ds! Love it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
It's been a month since I got mine, and what have I been doing? Nothing that involves 3D, mostly. Still waiting on the goods, but in the meantime, I'm catching up on DS games since I don't own one.

1. Pokémon Platinum, 70:54, Times 40
2. Dragon Quest V, 22:47, Times 12
3. Super Mario 64 DS, 20:24, Times 16
4. 3D Classics ExciteBike, 1:04, Times 2
5. Pokédex 3D, 0:04, Times 1

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
Haven't used it a lot, but i've noticed that I have done a less less video gaming in general this year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
1. Netflix with 16:05
2. Super Princess Peach with 15:28
3.  SSFIV 13:38
4. Spirit Tracks With 9:59
5. DK94 with 7:07

THe big surprised for was that I've only spent 3:49 with Super Monkey Ball and I've beaten the game.  Not enough content.  SHould have just ported Super Monkey Ball.  Gave it the new controls and 3D.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
That's a lot of time on Netflix already. Where are you watching it that you can't find a television or computer instead?

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:37 AM »
Play Time Ranking:

Ocarina of Time 3D: 34:53
Pilotwings Resort: 8:26
Nintendo eShop: 5:05
Mii Maker: 3:16
Shantae: Risky's Revenge: 3:01
Pokedex 3d: 2:16