Author Topic: Playing PC Games with the Wii Remote using GlovePIE  (Read 14189 times)

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Playing PC Games with the Wii Remote using GlovePIE
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
About 3 and a half years ago, there was a story posted on NWR about a program called GlovePIE that allowed people to use their Wii remotes to control things on the PC.  Here is the link to the talkback thread from that story:  http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=18764.msg290351#msg290351.  Based on a quick search of the forums it seems that there has been no discussion of it since.  Which seems strange to me since I would think a lot of you would be in to this.

I am not sure what the capabilities of GlovePIE were at that time, but recently I purchased a new computer and decided to give PC gaming another go with the hopes that I would be able to play the games with my wii remote.  So after some searching I found GlovePIE (http://glovepie.org/).  After downloading the program and purchasing a bluetooth adapter for my computer I must say that I am quite impressed.  The current version (0.43) supports all wii input devices (the wii remote, nunchuck, motionplus, balance board, classic controller, and all of the music attachments) along with other non-wii devices (PS3 sixaxis and XBOX360 controller) if that matters to you.  And I had hardly any trouble getting it to work.  I have Windows 7 so I can't vouch for XP or Vista, but it is supposed to be compatible.

In general, the program requires scripts that use a really basic programming language to assign input from the wii remote into keyboard buttons or mouse functions on the PC.  Even though the language is simple the scripts can get quite complicated for handling the mouse control.  Fortunately, you can find good examples of the scripts on the forums on the website or by doing google searches.  My primary concern was finding scripts for controlling the mouse.  There are three primary ways: tilt of the remote, IR, or tilt of the remote with motionplus.  Of the scripts I have found it seems that the best way is actually the motionplus and not the IR, but perhaps the IR script that I have is just crappy.  Anyways within just a few hours over several days I was able to easily control Portal using the wii remote with motionplus and the nunchuck at least as well as with the mouse and key board.

Anyways this is already getting kind of long, but I see on this forum people complaining about this game or that game not coming to the Wii all the time.  This won't change that but at least it gives us a chance to play those games like would on the Wii. 

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Playing PC Games with the Wii Remote using GlovePIE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
I use GlovePie to play "Frets on Fire", since it allows for use of my guitar peripherals. Everything else comes off as a novelty. It's honestly hard to justify using the Wiimote over a proper mouse setup on 99% of PC games. You mention Portal. I really cannot even imagine having the proper amount of speed or control while using the Wiimote to adequately play that game.

It might be worth looking into the Dolphin emulator however. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »
Yeah, mouse shooters seem to be designed with training wheels in mind.  There's a desire for some sort of realism, yet not.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline n-phage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
Well Morari it seems pretty clear that you are probably a pretty big PC gamer based on your signature and it doesn't surprise me that you would prefer the mouse.  I don't like playing games with a mouse and keyboard hence why I've never really gotten into PC gaming and am now giving PC gaming "another go".  I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

As far as Portal goes I played through the first half of the test chambers with the mouse/keyboard and the second half with the Wii remote/motion plus with no trouble.  Its not like there aren't FPSs on the Wii.  So I guess I just don't see why you find this hard to believe.

I am sure this could be used for emulation since it can be used for anything on the PC.  On youtube there is a video of controlling Mario Kart 64 with motion control like the wii version.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:35:28 PM »
n-phage, I don't feel as if the precision or speed is there when comparing the Wiimote to a decent mouse. If you do, then more power to you. That's one of the huge reasons I do love PC gaming; choice and customization. You can play with whatever input device you want, with relative simplicity at that.

If using the Wiimote has opened up PC gaming to you, then I really couldn't be happier. There are tons of great games exclusively for the PC. Heck, even the multiplatform games are usually better on the PC. If it takes an IR pointer for you to enjoy said titles, then great.

I have a hard time using a joystick for anything but a few specific genres, but know plenty of people that use them for even standard shooters. I have a friend that uses his racing pedals for forward/backward movement in Quake, for example. The mouse I use has a trackball built onto the side. I absolutely adore switching between the trackball and my Wacom tablet in Photoshop, but I'd have a hard time integrating either into my gaming setup. If you have a setup that you prefer, then use it and enjoy what it brings. ;)

The House of the Dead games are definitely more fun with the Zapper shell than they are with the mouse. I never could justify picking up a good USB lightgun.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline n-phage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
That is a very good response.  I guess that is one advantage that PC gaming will always have over the consoles.  You really can't beat having the freedom to choose how you want to play a game.

Now that I am almost done with Portal next on the list is Dead Space.