Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 547105 times)

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1950 on: April 03, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Same here.  Looking at my iPhone after playing the 3DS is a very weird experience.

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
I am glad it is not just me.  I thought maybe it was just all in my head.  Well I guess it still kind of is probably.

Offline stardust462

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: April 05, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
I really enjoy the 3DS so far. My previous DS was the original bulky red one that I got for Christmas 5 years ago, so I was long overdue for an upgrade (especially because the touch screen wasn't accurate anymore - not fun when trying to play Elite Beat Agents).

I really like the AR Cards. Playing those at PAX East really solidified my decision to buy this. So far I only have Pilotwings, which is just as fun as it was back when I played it on the N64. Honestly I've been playing mostly Picross now that I have a accurate touch screen again. That game is so addicting.

I'm still kind of meh about the whole 3D thing. Using it with the AR Cards and Faceraiders is fun and different, but for like 10 minutes. The cartridge games aren't that much more special because of the 3D. At first it's like "oh, that's cool!" but then the novelty wears off. I'm not sure how much they can do with game elements requiring 3D because of people who can't see it or it gives them headaches, but I'm curious to see how things develop.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
After having the system now for almost 2 weeks, playing games in 3D is akin to playing games in HD to me.  Like when you got your first real taste of gaming in HD for a good period of time, then you go and game on an SD television...it's extremely hard to go back.  I feel that way with the 3D in these 3DS games.  I've been lucky to not have any adverse affects from the 3D from the get go, so after all this playing I've become even more acclimated to 3D.  If I start up a game with the 3D off and start playing it, I immediately feel like "Man, somethings missing..." then BOOM, I see the 3D is switched off and am greeted immediately with what I've come to expect from that game.

It's funny because the games themselves don't drop in visual quality or anything, but if a game is 3D enabled (besides the AR games) I need to have it on.  Has anybody else come to this conclusion or feel similar after playing with the system for decent amount of time?
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
After having the system now for almost 2 weeks, playing games in 3D is akin to playing games in HD to me.  Like when you got your first real taste of gaming in HD for a good period of time, then you go and game on an SD television...it's extremely hard to go back.  I feel that way with the 3D in these 3DS games.  I've been lucky to not have any adverse affects from the 3D from the get go, so after all this playing I've become even more acclimated to 3D.  If I start up a game with the 3D off and start playing it, I immediately feel like "Man, somethings missing..." then BOOM, I see the 3D is switched off and am greeted immediately with what I've come to expect from that game.

It's funny because the games themselves don't drop in visual quality or anything, but if a game is 3D enabled (besides the AR games) I need to have it on.  Has anybody else come to this conclusion or feel similar after playing with the system for decent amount of time?

Personally speaking, I've had the opposite reaction to both 3D and HD: a few minutes after I turned them on, I stopped noticing the difference,* unless I'm watching a 3D movie and it has one of those moments whose only purpose is to have a lot of pop-out. I guess I'm just not much of a videophile.

*Except when I leave the sweet spot with the 3DS. It becomes very noticeable then!

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1955 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:46 AM »

Same with me as well. I actually start feeling disoriented when the 3D is turned off.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 08, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/08/3ds-outsold-by-psp-in-japan-gets-dumped-for-a-dating-sim/

The link pretty much says it all, but because of the release of PS2 dating sim on the PSP, it has outsold the 3DS for the week in Japan.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/08/3ds-outsold-by-psp-in-japan-gets-dumped-for-a-dating-sim/

The link pretty much says it all, but because of the release of PS2 dating sim on the PSP, it has outsold the 3DS for the week in Japan.

For a system that has 5+ years of software, is cheaper, and has a title released in a very popular genre in the country where said system enjoys the highest active user base on the planet...I'm not surprised it outsold a system that has only been out for a couple months that has no marqueé title.

I hate when people report doom and gloom on companies, especially Nintendo, over silly crap like this. Slow news day over there I suppose.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: April 08, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
There's nothing doom and gloom about the article...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Apparently Sony thinks the 3DS is simply a babysitting toy and something that twenty-somethings would not want to be seen outside with.

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-handhelds-great-babysitting-tools-sony

Could this be a challenge to Nintendo to return to hardcore gaming?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
Apparently Sony thinks the 3DS is simply a babysitting toy and something that twenty-somethings would not want to be seen outside with.

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-handhelds-great-babysitting-tools-sony

Could this be a challenge to Nintendo to return to hardcore gaming?

We've already been discussing it
Re: Sony Hasn't Learned Anything, While Nintendo Has.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 17, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
Looks like 3DS may get Sonic Generations
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/17/sonic_generations_3ds/

According to the Sega Sammy Financial Report, Sonic Generation is now coming to the 3DS. It was previously only listed as a PS3/360 & PC title according to Andriasang. They believe it could be an error, but if it isn't, then there should be some happy 3DS owning Sonic fans this winter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:16:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 18, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
A few weeks ago Gamestop had some information about Generations being on 3DS so I believe it. Still don't care after seeing 3D green hill... YUCK!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Shinobi & Sonic Generations 3DS
« Reply #1963 on: May 24, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Shinobi 3DS anyone?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/brandenbrushett (via http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory)
Branden Brushett's Experience
Envrionment Artist
Griptonite Games

November 2010 – Present (7 months)

Shinobi 3DS, and an Unannounced title

The profile has been edited since this news was made public earlier, but the quote above is exactly what it said this morning.

edit: already confirmed
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:04:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #1964 on: May 26, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »
I've collected enough puzzle pieces to finish 5 puzzles.  No one in my area has gotten a single Kirby yet.  Frustrating!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
I am a new 3DS owner and am still figuring this new device out.  So far, I am a bit disappointed with the Friends List functionality.  It feels incomplete.  Hopefully, I am missing something?

1. I thought there was going to be a chat/instant messaging feature so you could message folks in your friends list.  No, the 16 character status message doesn't count.  Anyone know if chat a planned future update?  Maybe email a message or send a photo?

2. As you can see what game a friend is playing, is there any way to send a request to join them?  Can that only be done from within the game?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:56:33 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 08, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
Whats going on with the 4 swords zelda for free?
If they give it online I might have to pick up the 3ds a little early.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 14, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
WHEN WILL MY 3DS FRIENDS LIST ACTUALLY BE USABLE?  I am growing tired of trying to use facebook chat and twitter to try to contact people who are "online" and invite them to a game.

Offline Pajamas

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

It's going to be a port of the GBA version. I wouldn't be surprised if it only supported local multiplayer.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/free-dsiware-four-swords-is-the-gba-version/
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1969 on: June 14, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Did someone seriously think they were going to port a Gamecube game to DSiWare and then give it away for FREE?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1970 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

It's going to be a port of the GBA version. I wouldn't be surprised if it only supported local multiplayer.

I've never played Four Swords before- What are the differences between the Gamecube and GBA versions?
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline n-phage

• View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 14, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »

I've never played Four Swords before- What are the differences between the Gamecube and GBA versions?

They are completely different.  It has been a long time since I played the GBA one, but if I remember right you just played through a short randomly generated level.  And of course could play it over and over again. I remember it being more like the overworld than adungeon.  Plus the different players didn't have to be anywhere near each other since they had their own screens.  I don't remember what you had to do to complete the level.  The gamecube one was pretty much a complete zelda game with a story, dungeons, and bosses.  Everyone pretty much had to be on the same screen except individual players could go into houses and would then switch to being on their GBA.  In both games there are puzzles that require multiple players to complete.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
3DS's 2 big problems solved. Netflix coming this summer.
« Reply #1972 on: June 20, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
Reggie: We have fixed the 3DS's 2 (TWO) Big problems
so now we may all go out an buy a 3DS....
http://kotaku.com/5813712/nintendo-believes-the-3ds-two-big-problems-have-been-fixed
There were actually two problems holding prospective 3DS purchasers back, Fils-Aime told me, two problems he believes the company has addressed.

"When we launched, we had a fantastic day one and a very strong week one," he said during our recent interview. "We talked to consumers. Consumers were highly satisfied with the device. They loved the built-in applications. They loved the game experiences. We had high levels of awareness. We had high levels of intent-to-purchase.

"But when we started talking to consumers who were aware or interested, but hadn't yet bought, they told us two things: first, I need a big Nintendo franchise for our purchase. The second thing was I need the network to be up. I need the connected experiences to be there."

Well guess what Reggie, I need the price to go down.
That was the 3rd 1st Big Problem that you forgot to mention and forgot to address.

That first problem that Fils-Aime mentioned was surely the byproduct of a launch line-up that included a Nintendogs, but no Mario, no Zelda, no Smash Bros. or any flagship game. The second problem was even more awkward: the inclusion, on the 3DS' touch screen of a non-functional web browser that, when touched, indicated that the machine's online services would be activated by Nintendo at a later date.

He said he wasn't guessing about this stuff. It sounded like they came from surveys. "I know those were the two factors, based on the consumer information," he said.

AS for problem 1 & 2 & 3; You deliver us Mario 3D (and some more core efforts from 1st & 3rd Parties) and you deliver us Netflix (preferably w/ 3D content) and all may be forgiven.... for now.

The Missing 3D Video Service

While Nintendo finally activated the 3DS' web browser and online shop a couple of weeks ago, more than a month after the machine's launch, it has yet to debut the 3DS' promised 3D video service. Despite the release of one music video, several 3D game trailers and a single 3D movie trailer for the movie Green Lantern, there has yet to be a sign of an actual, organized 3D movie service. It's coming, Fils-Aime said. "There will be music videos. There will be 3D movie trailers. There will be Nintendo-curated content, things we believe are interesting that, candidly, we've helped finance. I am actively involved in all of that content identification. … It's going to be fun." That will launch in the summer, along with non-3D Netflix support.

So Netflix is coming within the next few months.... but where is the 3D movies? Don't think I didn't notice that you didn't mention the 3D movies. Where are the 3D movies Nintendo? Where is my 3D Netflix... um.... Netflix?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:20 AM »
They also have a problem that won't go away without spending more money. The battery life.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
Oh my lord... The Microphone placement on the 3DS stinks.  I'm playing Spirit Tracks and to register you have to blow on this weird corner where you can't see the screen.  I had to switch to my DSL to do the first duet.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.