Author Topic: My GC memory card broke! How do I restore the data??  (Read 8063 times)

Offline darklink514

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
My GC memory card broke! How do I restore the data??
« on: September 06, 2003, 01:39:47 PM »
The memory cards outer shell is broken but the memory card itself is intact. Whenever I put the mem card in the slot it says "The object inserted into slot B cannot be used". Do I have to get it repaired? What can I do

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: My GC memory card broke! How do I restore the data??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 04:47:04 PM »
how did you do that? o_O either way i would hold very little hope of that memory card surviving...

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 06:04:58 PM »
Have you tried to reapir the outer shell?  You could also buy a used memory card and swap it's shell with the broken one.  Either way, it will only be a temporary fix until you can transfer your save files to another card.
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline darklink514

• View Profile
RE:My GC memory card broke! How do I restore the data??
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 06:54:48 PM »
the shell is broken in half but the card is totally intact and has no visible damage to it. I used the end you stick into the gamecube and put the mem card in but it said the object inserted into slot b cannot be used. Perhaps it just can get in properly, or maybe some data has been corrupted. Do you think Id be able to get the data restored?

Oh, the gamcube fell off the tv and landed on the corner the memory card sticks out so it took all of the impact on a cement floor. The memory card basically broke in half but theres no visible physical damage to the internal card itself.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 08:06:19 PM »
dude u dont have much hope... you'll need a new 1
Hmmm.... !

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 09:18:48 PM »
MAybe the card slot recieved some damage as well?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 12:23:23 AM »
lol!!!! today i found my animal crossing memory card stuck to a speaker magnet....i was liek oh shit. Thankfully nothign was screwed up lol.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 04:16:49 AM »
That's the advantage of flash ROM over magnetic storage media. If that happened to a HD...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 04:25:37 AM »
My official Mem card 59 did that whole "Object in slot cannot be used". It got corrupted first, saying I had to format it, I did. Then got the "CANNOT BE USED, SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR BELIEVING OFFICIAL CARDS NEVER CRAP OUT".. Well, not quite.

I took it out.... Looked at it, jammed it back in, and it worked. My advice, JAM it back in.  

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2003, 06:46:21 AM »
maybe the insides of the GC got broken try using a different memory card and see if it reads it.
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline darklink514

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 08:26:25 AM »
It reads the other memory cards perfectly. I've had no problems with my GCN internally. Every game worked fine, only the damaged memory card seems to not work. It was working for a while after it broke, but it stopped working before I could purchase another card

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 06:55:47 PM »
It's probably dust...if not from damage from whatever stripped the casing off, you probably shorted it out by now by handling it with your bare hands (if you have carpet, static can fry circuitboards...it sucks!).
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 05:40:27 PM »
Probably best to just bite the bullet. It's rough, but not much can be done.  I know where you're coming from though.  When I was playing NBA Street Vol.2 my memory card got corrupted at some point and I had to reformat mine.  (Embarrasing that my own company would destroy my memory card) Anyhow so I lost my finished Zelda save, my completed ED game with everything (and I mean everything), Metroid Prime finished save, Mario Sunshine... etc. etc. etc.

Just go buy a new one and suck it up.  It's all that can be done most likely.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 06:00:38 PM »
Thats why I backup all my game saves (except FZero... Stupid Nintendo/Sega not letting me copy data  ) onto a seperate card that I keep in its own case with my games, so if my gamecube blows up, shorts out, falls, it wont take out my backup card.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!