Author Topic: Wii not reading discs  (Read 10940 times)

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Wii not reading discs
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »
Name says it all :P

My Wii stopped reading discs (though as far as I can tell everything else works fine).
I tried cleaning the lens using some tips I found on Youtube figuring that I was going to have to buy a new one anyway even if I didn't screw up and scratch it or w/e.  No (positive at least) effect from that though.  Not really sure if I messed it up more than it already was.  Any ideas/tips other than getting a new one and getting out SD cards to transfer everything over?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Wii not reading discs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »
Okay which disks aren't working. Gamecube or Wii Disks in either case I am going to refer you to this thread.

You could send it up to Nintendo for repairs Also they when they repair it add a one year warrenty to your Wii. I got my repaired in 3 days. By that I mean I had it back after I shipped it up to Nintendo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37096.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:22:54 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »
Neither Wii nor GCN works. Any original warranty I ever had on it is surelly long gone... Is that a problem? Did they screw with the system memory?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
Yeah the issue is with the disk drive then. As far as the warranty goes I suggest you call up Nintendo tomorrow and explain your problem and if you are a big Nintendo fan like I am you might be able to talk down the price of the repair. I think my warranty had just expired a few days before I sent it up to them and I talked about my NP subscription and how I had it for a very long time. I didn't have to pay anything for the repair I believe. No they didn't mess with the system memory since it is a disk drive problem. Just read the thread I linked to. If you have any further questions that haven't been answered there post them here.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
Thanks a lot, I'll look into that :D.

NP subscription's been lapsed for a while and I've had the Wii at least long enough that Galaxy 1 was recent so I don't imagine I'm just barely past the warranty

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
Which number did you call, I'd love to get "my" Wii fixed instead of getting a new one... but at 85$+s&h is more than 2/3 times what I can get one for.  Hopefully I could sweet-talk them into nixing some fees.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:43 AM »
There wasn't any "special" number I called but it was just the typical number that they have on their contact page on their website. 1-800-255-3700
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
I will fix your Wii, it is what I do for a living (all game consoles, cell phones, etc). Send me a PM if interested - $65, and that includes return shipping.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
Sorry Brandogg, after talking with the representative, enough money was knocked off that it was less than $10 more expensive than you and I could ship it somewhere here in Ontario.

That being said, I can say that I have emerged unscathed from Nintendo's support hotlines.  I found the whole thing to be very well organized; the automated menus weren't terribly long or obtuse.  After navigating said menus, I made it clear that I would need to speak to somebody and was only put on hold for a few seconds (I assume that discrepency can be explained by human reaction time on the other end.)

The representative was very nice and, as I said, was able to nix the price a bit for me which was great.

Overall, a positive experience for which I give Nintendo kudos.

P.S. During my brief time on hold, I learned that they play Zelda's Lullaby while you wait :D

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
Nintendo has fantastic customer service. Can't blame you for using them, usually get a very fast turnaround too. I had a DSi with basically a dead motherboard, sent it off, they fixed it (in NY) for free, and had it back within 4 days.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Wii came back today :D

I'll finally be able to play Skyward Sword

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:45:12 PM »
Wii came back today :D

I'll finally be able to play Skyward Sword
Very nice.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
Or rather, not...

The new disc drive they installed didn't even register that I put a disc inside and wouldn't eject SS D:

So shipped it back to Nintendo yesterday.  The waiting game resumes

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
If anyone is wondering, Wii finally came back (again) today, officially good as new :D

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
If anyone is wondering, Wii finally came back (again) today, officially good as new :D

Yay!  (Finally!)
:D
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
I can get brand new Wii drives at a lower price now, so if anyone needs one fixed...$55 includes return shipping. Send me a PM.