Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193072 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1150 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
@broodwars

You missed something significant in Xam'd. All of your 'for some reason we're never told' moments were actually explained. Especially the reason for the war, why the postal people were important, and why the spiritual were being persecuted.

I'll give you that it got boring in the middle though, there's no denying that.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 15, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
@broodwars

You missed something significant in Xam'd. All of your 'for some reason we're never told' moments were actually explained. Especially the reason for the war, why the postal people were important, and why the spiritual were being persecuted.

I'll give you that it got boring in the middle though, there's no denying that.

Hmm...maybe that stuff was something revealed in one of the dozens of dialogue sequences in the show (especially towards the end) where the dialogue is so low that the music actually drowns it out (at least in the dub version).  In any case, considering that I watched almost the whole series with my best friend, and neither of us as of episode 20 (the last episode we both watched) could figure out any of those things, I still say the show does a pretty poor job of conveying that information.  I would rewatch the series to see if that info's really there, but to be honest I've moved on now and no longer care.

Anyone see the new Gibli Wizard of Earthsea movie ("Tales of Earthsea")?  I noticed it was somehow released last week with pretty much no fanfare and Best Buy at least isn't carrying it.  I kind of liked the original book so I have some interest in it, though to be honest I have a bad feeling I'll be incredibly annoyed by Gibli's likely inclusion of their usual monotonous pro-environment, anti-man additions (which creep up in pretty much anything related to miyazaki).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:12:37 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »
After watching the previous two episodes of Stargate Universe.... seriously. Damn. That show has some of the best CGI ever seen on television.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 19, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »
After watching the previous two episodes of Stargate Universe.... seriously. Damn. That show has some of the best CGI ever seen on television.
I was starting to like SGU too. I've been a fan of the franchise for a while, and just when SGU finds its groove, it gets canceled :(
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:31 AM »
SGU never had to find it's mojo, it had it back in episode one. I am only at the end of season one, but there has been no word as to whether they are going to continue showing the rest of the series here, so I might have to download to see it. Sify logo and all.

I rather like how they are fighting for survival instead of fighting some external enemy most of the time. I also like how you can't really like any of the characters too much.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: March 19, 2011, 04:46:37 AM »
Mad Men s2 & s3

I'm into it, my girl is into it, but if I wasn't waiting for her to watch episodes, then I would have finished the entire series already. It's good drama and the the school teacher in s3 is Fiiiiine [/Pablo Francisco]. Just started s4 about 2 hrs ago. Will report back when its all wrapped up.

Luther

BBC UK show about a really smart detective with lots of emotion baggage and a weird relationship with a known criminal that was just too smart for him to bust. She got away with the crime and rubs it in his face all day everyday and he swears he's gonna take her down, but somewhere in their game of cat and mouse, there is a weird friendship. Starring Idris Elba, who played Stringer Bell on The Wire, and so far it's pretty good. 1st season is only 6 episodes long and I'm almost done with it, but i can definitely see myself tuning in for season 2, whenever that is.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 19, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
I just finished watching all of Seinfeld in order. I've always been a fan of the show, but I've never watched it that way before. It really adds something to it that you don't get from catching a rerun here or there. I didn't realize how much continuity the show had before this. I would argue that George Costanza is one of the best characters ever on television.

Also, if you're not watching Archer on FX, you need to rectify that. It was pretty good in the first season, but the second season has been amazing so far. It's got impeccable writing and a fantastic voice cast, and I'd argue it's easily the best comedy on television right now after Parks & Rec and Community.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
So I just finished watching Season 2 and (what there is of) Season 3 of Parks & Recreation. Why didn't anyone tell me this show got substantially better after Season 1? I guess I should have had more faith, I mean The US Office only got good in Season 2. Steve Carell actually created more of a character in Michael Scott instead of trying (and failing) to copy David Brent. The same thing basically happening with Leslie Knope basically just being a female Michael Scott in Season 1. Other things that improved where Andy became less annoying and is now one of the best characters in the show. Ron Swanson just became unstoppable. Everything that guy does is genius. Storylines improved (mainly because they had more time to develop them), the townfolk got more backstory (it's almost developing into a Simpsons style universe) and Aubrey Plaza is still (hot) in it.

I just feel like it's a feelgood comedy, there's no cringe-worthy moments and the humour insn't snarky or mean in any way (except to Jerry).

Fucking top stuff/10.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #1158 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
Recently, I've been watching Sherlock from the UK. If you guys haven't seen it, it's basically Sherlock Holmes, but in present day London. As far as I know, there is only one season and three episodes, but each episode is an hour and a half long. Pretty awesome stuff.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1159 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
So I just finished watching Season 2 and (what there is of) Season 3 of Parks & Recreation. Why didn't anyone tell me this show got substantially better after Season 1?

If you listened to NWR Newscast you'd have known that months ago! (Also I'm pretty sure people have said that on this thread.)

But yeah, great stuff. Andy and April are just lol.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 21, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Last night on HBO, was the series finale of Big Love, which by far away was the most unique family drama on television.

If you don't know the series was about Bill Hendrickson, a wealthy polygamist Mormon, continually trying to better himself and his family. One of the ways he tries to make things better for his family is bringing polygamy into the open so they don't have to hide. He tries this many times in many ways with different results each time over the seasons, all the while trying to keep his family from breaking apart from the outside influence of other polygamist groups and family ties and questions of faith and morality from his three wives.

What made this show great, beyond its large, but never overwhelming, cast and interweaving story arcs, was the actors. From the first show to the last, their performances never broke, or felt forced. That also has to do with the excellent writing though, because the characters never really did any thing out of character. There were surprises to be sure, but they all were within the character's personality and history.

This was a great show, and it was very religous at points, but it was always religious for a reason relating to the character development or story advancement.

This was one of my favorite shows on television, but I hated its opening theme, and there were like 2 or 3 dull episodes in its 5 seasons. The last season also felt a little rushed, and I'm not sure yet if I liked the ending. All in all, I rate Big Love a 9.2/10

It will be missed.

"It's good to have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." - Nicki, my favorite character, because of her many flaws.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 22, 2011, 10:47:59 AM »
Recently, I've been watching Sherlock from the UK. If you guys haven't seen it, it's basically Sherlock Holmes, but in present day London. As far as I know, there is only one season and three episodes, but each episode is an hour and a half long. Pretty awesome stuff.

It's made by the same exec producer who is heading up Doctor Who (hence why they are both stuffed full of awesome). Season 1 is only 3 episodes but it was such a smash hit over here (~10 million watched all three episodes) it got renewed for another 3 in Autumn/Fall 2011.

The reason why it only got another 3 episodes was because the same exec producer is busy nearly all-year-around with 14 episodes of Doctor Who and hence cant squeeze anymore out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:49:55 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
Justified Season 2 episodes one and two on Hulu. 3.75 Stars

You should be watching this show.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 22, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »
Luther (on BBC UK) - 4/5

What a way to end a 6 episode 1st season run. **** these short UK seasons. If they are gonna have seasons this short, then they need to have 2 of them a year. 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall or something. More like the USA & SyFy 1/2 season that work pretty well on Eureka, Pysch & Burn Notice. They really leave you on a cliffhanger with a whole year before you get a measly 6 more episodes. How do you Brits do it? That's gotta be torture for your favorite shows... but it does keep everything short and sweet, straight to the point and no time for filler, but the wait... the f'n wait.

Needless to say (because I've basically just said it) i await a 2nd season.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 23, 2011, 05:17:42 AM »
**** these short UK seasons.

To compensate we simply have more quantities of shows rather than fewer longer ones.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 23, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
I gave Justified a chance until the episode where he touched the hood of a car that was sitting in the middle of a desert and he said 'it's still warm'. Yeah... I bet it was really hot as a matter of fact.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
I think I saw the first 2 episodes of that one when it first aired. Didn't capture my interest. I think I will wait until it's cancelled next season, fans cry that it was unjustified & critics tell me it was much better than rating showed and then I'll play catch up.... :evil grin:

j/k, I might check it out again, but I think The Sopranos is next on my series catch-up list now that I'm almost done with Mad Men.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1167 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Lost: Season 1 on Netflix Instant: I liked it, I genuinely liked it. There's definitely a lot of intrigue, and I think so far the show has been "answering questions" at a good pace. (I mean, how would you explain polar bears on tropical islands, anyway?) The characters are mostly likeable, Kate being the notable exception (though Jack is starting to get on my nerves). I think the whole "The island is soooo mysterious and powerful" angle is getting a bit annoying, but I'm willing to work with the show on that one.

The one thing that bothers me is that I don't think the show can maintain this level of quality for 6 seasons, not when they're this long. I didn't watch the show when it aired originally, but I was aware of all the attention it was getting. I wanted to watch it, but I thought seeing it all online all at once would be best.

We'll see how my interest holds up for season 2!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
I've never watched Lost, and have come to the conclusion, based on reactions people had to it, that it's not worth it to me to attempt to do so, despite it being on Netflix.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1169 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
Lost is brilliant and totally worth watching. Season 1 is great but season 4 (and season 5, arguably) are just truly brilliant. If you can make it through the relative lull of season 3 (which ends amazingly, by the way), you will find it well worth the effort I think.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Oh Christ, the last episode(Introduction to Statistics) of Community had me crying from laughter and we are still in season 1. Pierce (Chevy Chase ) really gets to shine this episode. This quite effectively sums up the insanity that is Community
Professor Michelle Slater : Are you like a court appointed guardian to these people?
Jeff Winger : No, uhmm, they are my classmates.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 24, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
I've never watched Lost, and have come to the conclusion, based on reactions people had to it, that it's not worth it to me to attempt to do so, despite it being on Netflix.

Lost exists to make dumb people feel smart. It's convoluted to the point of being ridiculous. Of course, it stands to reason that anything that got as much attention as it did during it's run is going to be lackluster one way or another.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 24, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
Save yourself. I realized it too late and will never watch the final season of Lost, but you are still very early into it. You can still save yourself.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 24, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »

Lost exists to make dumb people feel smart. It's convoluted to the point of being ridiculous. Of course, it stands to reason that anything that got as much attention as it did during it's run is going to be lackluster one way or another.

I think the world must be coming to an end: we actually agree on something.   :Q   Lost is one of the most over-rated, badly written shows I've ever seen.  The show has plenty of good moments and twists, but the show just can't string them together well and before too long the show's formula really drags.  It's a whole lot of build-up without any good pay-off.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1174 on: March 24, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
EYEROLL.