Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192299 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1000 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
There's a hilarious review of "The Cape" at i09

http://io9.com/5729264/if-the-cape-is-really-our-new-hero-then-america-is-doomed

And Ian, I agree in some respect with your "Hard Sell = teh suck" theory, but plenty of movies have done just that and been fantastic. I think it's more of a marketing tactic used by companies who are either really insecure or completely confident. There isn't a comfortable inbetween.

And yes, just like you, I was sick of those commercials. But unlike you, I was sick of the commercial half-way through the first one. It looked so stupid and cheesy. Instead, I pictured the lazy TV exec listening to one of his "top" aides pandering an idea that because Super hero movies are doing well, a Super hero show could do well. And it wasn't a bad correlation. Even I would be intrigued, but I wouldn't take the first script out of the pile and make it. And that's exactly what "The Cape" seemed like to me. All that from half a commercial. I'm sure I'm not alone.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 11, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
the cape sounds like a second hand knockoff of The Shadow and The Spirit
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
MJ maybe I should have italicized the AND inbetween Police force and Prison System. That is corruption at it's finest from the get-go especially when it's within the same corporation and would never happen in real life.

But there was just so much wrong with that show. If I didn't know any better, the 2nd half of the 2hr premiere was actually the 3rd or 4th episode but they condensed all the previous episodes down into the 1st hour due to mixed early previews and no budget or time to re-shoot. I'll tune into the next episode or 2 and let you guys know if it gets any better, but if you don't hear about it again from me, just assume that it sucked and wasn't worth mentioning again.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 12, 2011, 03:36:25 AM »
V was oddly topical today despite being filmed a while ago.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1004 on: January 16, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Watched the first disk of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." I almost died I was laughing so hard. How have I not seen this show yet? Dee screaming in the bathroom at the old folk's home might have been the best thing EVER.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 16, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
Watched the first disk of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." I almost died I was laughing so hard. How have I not seen this show yet? Dee screaming in the bathroom at the old folk's home might have been the best thing EVER.
I've been meaning to start that show for so long (about 2 seasons ago), but just never found the time to fit it in.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
All my friends, and my "friends" on Facebook all love It' Always Sunny, but I've watched 3 episodes and I just don't get it. There was like one joke per episode I found funny, and not even laugh out loud funny... Is there some dynamic to this show that I'm just not getting?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »

The show keeps getting better, especially once Danny DeVito joins the cast. BnM, I definitely think you should find the time to watch it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 16, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
I just have sooo many shows on the roster right now.
I technically have the time, but not sure I want to invest it in another comedy right now. Especially one that is already 6 seasons deep and I have lots of catching up to do on. I'm already RLTTP, so there is no rush to get caught up right now.

My Television Backlog (off the top of my head) looks something like this right now.
Lost s6
Sopranos
Always Sunny
The last 3 seasons of South Park
Nip Tuck s4-6
last 2 seasons of 24 (will probably never watch)
and I'm sure there are more...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:38:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1009 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
South Park has been annoying me the last few seasons because they'll have like ten episodes (IF THAT) and call it a season. Bullshit. BlacknMild, how far into Sopranos are you? I got through the whole series in one big marathon and ended up liking it less and less.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1010 on: January 16, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
South Park has been annoying me the last few seasons because they'll have like ten episodes (IF THAT) and call it a season. Bullshit.

Every season has had at least 13 episodes. In fact, the last 8 seasons have each had 14 episodes (the shortest season was season 1, which had 13). It may not seem like that because they split each season into 2 (spring and fall). They usually split it into 7 episodes in March/April and the other 7 in October/November.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »

South Park has been annoying me the last few seasons because they'll have like ten episodes (IF THAT) and call it a season. Bullshit. BlacknMild, how far into Sopranos are you? I got through the whole series in one big marathon and ended up liking it less and less.

I haven't started it yet. It's made it into my Netflix queue about 8 months ago and that is as far as it's gotten ;D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
I recently started watching The Bob Newhart Show. I was reading an article somewhere (I think it was the Onion A.V. Club) that mentioned it as being really good, and then I noticed it was on Hulu (I subscribe to Hulu Plus; I'm not sure if the show requires it or not). It is quite good, with no real hook or gimmick, but very well written. Easily the best show from the 70s that I've ever seen.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »
All my friends, and my "friends" on Facebook all love It' Always Sunny, but I've watched 3 episodes and I just don't get it. There was like one joke per episode I found funny, and not even laugh out loud funny... Is there some dynamic to this show that I'm just not getting?
Yes, everyone on the show is an asshole. I said it before, it's like Seinfeld but instead of generally likeable characters, they're all a bunch of self-serving asshole. It's a great show, but the last few have been pretty bland. The second part of the one where Charlie became a school janitor was hilarious though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1014 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
They were all self-serving assholes on Seinfeld too.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
I recently started watching The Bob Newhart Show. I was reading an article somewhere (I think it was the Onion A.V. Club) that mentioned it as being really good, and then I noticed it was on Hulu (I subscribe to Hulu Plus; I'm not sure if the show requires it or not). It is quite good, with no real hook or gimmick, but very well written. Easily the best show from the 70s that I've ever seen.

Did you watch Newhart, the show Bob did after The Bob Newhart Show? If not, you should. The last episode was a killer. But its one of those 'famous' moments so you probably already know about it. If you don't know about it, don't look it up without at least watching a number of episodes so things make sense. I watched it when it first aired and my jaw dropped.

Bob's sense of comedic timing is great, and his ability to be a vehicle that the viewer rides along with as craziness happens around him is what makes his shows special. He's not the one causing problems, he just happens to be there, and we laugh as he just shakes his head. Though when he does laugh, you know he was laughing the whole time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
Yes, everyone on the show is an asshole. I said it before, it's like Seinfeld but instead of generally likeable characters, they're all a bunch of self-serving asshole. It's a great show, but the last few have been pretty bland. The second part of the one where Charlie became a school janitor was hilarious though.

That's the one with Lethal Weapon 5, right? If so, then I strongly agree.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 17, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
Wait a minute there is a Lethal Weapon 5?!?! I thought they were too old for this **** since they DeKaffainated an embassy, burned down the housing development and drowned Jet Li by ventilating him while in sea water.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Wait a minute there is a Lethal Weapon 5?!?! I thought they were too old for this **** since they DeKaffainated an embassy, burned down the housing development and drowned Jet Li by ventilating him while in sea water.

The characters in It's Always Sunny wrote and filmed their own Lethal Weapon movie, Lethal Weapon 5. It was, of course, a total trainwreck, in a hilarious way. Mac and Dennis switch roles halfway through the movie, making it even worse (better), with Dennis using a truly awful Australian accent and Mac in full-on blackface.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
Did you watch Newhart, the show Bob did after The Bob Newhart Show? If not, you should.

My brother got the first season of Newhart on DVD last year.  Funny stuff though apparently the show gets better in later seasons.  But only the first season is on DVD.  Argh!

Bob Newhart's comedic timing is just brilliant.  The only problem I had with the first season of Newhart however was that it's an 80's sitcom and that means it has its fair share of broad comedy and feel good moments.  But I find that to be a problem with a lot of 70's or 80's sitcoms.  Even a classic like Cheers is going to have the occasional clunker episode full of hugs and applause from the studio audience.

They were all self-serving assholes on Seinfeld too.

I never saw them like that.  Well George is but he always gets his come-uppance in the end.  I always felt the Seinfeld cast came across as very real people.  A lot of old comedies, even ones I like, are full of real do-gooder characters.  They'll always help and agree with each other.  One show I find really guilty of this is Taxi.  I always liked Louie in Taxi because, even though he is a jerk, he has some semblance to a normal person.  Everyone else is willing to help and do the right thing and when they decide to do something as a group they're all enthusiastic and everyone wants to be involved.  BULLSHIT!  Who the **** is like that in real life?

It is very normal in real life to be irritated by co-workers or to think your family is crazy or to have relationship problems due to bizarre mundane trivial things or to have a sarcastic attitude towards the bullshit you encounter in day-to-day life.  It does take it to a little bit of an extreme for comedic purposes but I always felt the characters were somewhat likeable because they seemed more like someone I would meet in real life and were living a life more like my own and those around me.  Most people in life aren't really bad people who try to screw everyone over but aren't really good people either that specifically go out of their way to help others.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
Always Sunny is hilarious. There's no need to catch up on any of it. Just watch it at random (there's only a couple of episodes that self-reference, but you don't have to have seen them in order to enjoy it).

Who ever said it was like Seinfield is correct, but it's like Seinfield on crack.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 17, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
it's like Seinfield on crack.

I can't emphasize enough how accurate this description is.

J.P. Corbran

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1022 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »
I tend to agree that Seinfeld had fairly fleshed out characters most of the time, but they often emphasized their selfish natures, and of course the last episode of the series hinged entirely on the fact that they were basically self-centered people.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 17, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
I completed the 1st season of It's Always Sunny last night.
I liked it, but my girl tried to pretend she wasn't interested in it at all.

But I sat through her Better With You marathon, so the trade off was that she had to watch It's Always Sunny with me.
What she didn't realize is that I while I knowingly agreed to sit through 12 episodes of BWY, she unknowingly agreed to sit through 6 seasons of IAS with me ;D

BWY isn't a horrible show, it has it's funny moments, but I'm not really feeling it as most of it just feels so forced, but I'm liking IAS better since it's more of a guys line of thinking show. We were both laughing at the tranny scene in episode 5 or 6 though.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
Just finished episode 18 of the new Avengers animated series.  Overall, I'm pretty conflicted about it.  On the one hand, the superhero action was awesome and the plot was suitably epic as the Avengers fight off a worldwide invasion.  This series has really come a long way from its pilot.  On the other hand, this story is way too big for a show this small.  Throughout the episode, we're told about fights all over the world, but apparently the ONLY target of interest in New York is the Avengers.  Where are the X-Men, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, or the Fantastic 4 (who have already been mentioned just an episode prior) just for starters?  And those are just the Marvel superheroes I can think of that live in New York!  Outside of a strange addition of some guy with a sword on a flying horse in what looks like Great Britain, apparently the only superheroes in the entire world on this show are the Avengers.  As a result, this story seems to be getting resolved way too easily and revolves around Tony Stark being artificially stupid.  I applaud the show for going for the brass ring, but there are just too many inconsistencies and logic holes given the vast Marvel universe.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.