Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193283 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #875 on: November 15, 2010, 06:21:01 AM »
Dexter

This is the best show on television. It's always been on the up and up with few disappointments. Can't wait for next weeks episode!

Definitely. What I love about it is that each season has a different feel to it. I was afraid the quality would go down with the departure of the creator but this season is shaping up to be great.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
Undercovers:

Its episode 8 into a 13 episode season. Still no story arc. The lead actors are still a sight to behold but this just isn't clicking. It's already been reported that NBC isn't ordering any more yet gave The Event a full 22? episode season order WTF man! so the format clearly isn't resonating.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 15, 2010, 08:21:26 AM »
I heard that Undercovers was already cancelled and they are gonna continue to air the remaining episodes.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »
I haven't seen an official cancellation announcement, but "not ordering any more episodes" usually amounts to the same thing.

The irony is, i looked at the entire credits and quite a lot of the producers and writers actually moved over from Lost.

Stargate Universe: THIS is the new Lost. Only it's doing it a lot better in terms of story development. It's just episode 2
7 of season 2 and they just revealed the purpose of the Destiny. For the equivalent on Lost it came about in Season 5.  I know Season 1 has had a lot of whining and moaning and bitching by the characters but as season 2 kicked off there's a lot of story elements and a gradual and smooth progression into the series arc. A lot of the undesirable elements have been toned down quite heavily.

I wish i could get more NWR folk to watch it but it appears the "cheesyness" of Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis (Atlantis in particular) has put people off from SGU.  To put it differently, SGU has the best actors, the better set and lighting and the better CGI talent. Not many shows can grab Robert Carlyle and Louis Fererra (who off-camera is a complete clown playing pranks on the cast/crew yet on-screen is very sour faced and ragged) and put them against each other.

I wish more people would watch, or at least give it a try.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 15, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »
I love SGU. The characters are amazingly complex. Just as I like someone, they do something to rub me the wrong way. There are a lot of them I don't like, but respect. I am only barely halfway through season 1 on free to air TV, but at this point, I really can't just pick a guy and root for.

I use to be firmly in Dr Rushes camp, but his increasingly apparent lack of ethics/stability is starting to make me think twice. Col Young on the other hand I never really liked because he always comes off as weak and is always strong at the wrong moment. Not saying Rushe is always right, but Young's lack of real leadership make me wonder how he made Colonel in the first place.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #880 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »
I watched the first season of Battlestar Galactica (the 2000s version, not 1970s), and I don't see what all the fuss was about. There were some good episodes, but overall the season did not make me interested enough to continue on with the series. Maybe it gets better? The first season of Seinfeld sucked, but it became a great show.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:51:42 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Last night's Dexter was one of the best episodes so far this season!

**Spoiler Alert**

It is going to be very interesting from here on out. Quinn knows Lumen's name, her prints were pulled off the hose nozzle from two episodes ago, and he seems to be falling hard for Deborah, the only thing I didn't like was his fear of the investigating cop, what happened to him being a borderline dirty cop? Why should he not be able to threaten an aging and disgraced ex-cop, especially one who is trying to extort him and threatening his girlfriend? I also liked how Lumen was tentative about seeing Dexter kill and being a part of his world, and Deborah's internal conflict about killing that guy. I can't believe the spanish cop sold out Deb and Batista is going to back her, but it does fit both characters. I wonder if Dexter is going to kill Quinn and his the old guy or if Deb will kill them to protect Dex, or if Quinn will kill the old guy and turn a blind eye to his suspicions about Dex for Deb's sake. Whatever happens, I love this friggin show!
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 15, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
The Walking Dead

I've been downloading the episodes thus far, as I don't subscribe to any sort of television service. I had read the first sixty or so issues of the comic a while ago. From what I can recall, the show seems to be following the source pretty well. The acting is definitely up there, and the whole thing has a great look to it, both in the cinematography and the special effects (ie: not a lot of ridiculous CGI). It's directed as if it were a film, not a television show, and that helps it a lot. The pacing is slow, but so was the comic. This isn't a zombie killing splatter-fest, it's a character drama with the zombie apocalypse as a backdrop. I'd definitely recommend watching at least the first two episodes before deciding whether or not it's for you.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 15, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »
I haven't seen an official cancellation announcement, but "not ordering any more episodes" usually amounts to the same thing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/nbc-pulls-plug-undercovers-35799

Re: Dexter
Last nights episode was good, but how are they gonna explain the busted doors inbetween rooms when they realize head of security is missing and how did Robocop get pics of Dexter onthe boat when Dex usually heads out to sea to catch the gulf stream (ever since his last "burial ground" was found)?

Re: The Walking Dead
ep3 was good other than the whole cutting off the hand part. Who even not in their right mind wouldn't try to saw the handcuffs off before jumping to the last resort and cutting off your own freaking hand. You might even try breaking your own thumb to slip out of the cuffs before you cut your freaking hand off.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 15, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
BnM - I wondered that too. In fact, I remember saying "That's one hell of a camera." As for the door, I'm ok with the assumption that Dexter either fixed it or thinks it's alright.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 15, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
BnM - I wondered that too. In fact, I remember saying "That's one hell of a camera." As for the door, I'm ok with the assumption that Dexter either fixed it or thinks it's alright.

I'm guessing that he got pictures of them boarding the boat but probably not dumping anything even though the first pic is directly after they dumped(bad editing?). It would be pretty sloppy of the writers to forget how careful Dex is about dumping after the whole Bay Harbor Butcher case.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 15, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
With the broken door (he would only had to break the one on Dexter's side), the camera (though it was definitely that ginormous lense) and the hose nozzle, it seems to me that Lumen is breaking Dexter's focus and making him a little sloppy. He hasn't even seen the Harry side of himself for two(?) episodes, and neither has he been very concerned about Harrison and his development; everything is about Lumen. I understand that it's because he's been searching for someone like Lumen who could see who he is and not be repulsed or destroyed by it and he's sort of become mesmerized by her, but with Quinn having him tracked it's becoming a liability.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #887 on: November 18, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
Modern Family - *bouncy bouncy*

More than any other episode, this one featured Sofia Vergara's rack. So I loved it, naturally. But as usual, it was hilarious. Cam is so great.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 18, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
on walking dead

who would cut off a limb to escape?

haha, to answer your question...theres a whole movie out right now based on that idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhLOWTnVoQ

even though this didn't happen in the comic book...i have a pretty good idea where this is leading

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 18, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
^if that's you response to what I said about The Walking Dead, then you've completely missed the point I was making.
also 127 days involved breaking the arm so that the bone didn't have to be sawed through. he absolutely exhausted every other option before even coming to the conclusion that he needed to break and then saw off his own arm to ultimately survive.

I don't know if the movie followed that arm breaking part, but that's what happened in the actual story.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 19, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
@Halbred
Agreed on Sofia's rack, but I thought this episode was a little weak on the comedy (except Cam as you mentioned) while doing a better job of showing their ties as a family. Good episode, just not terribly funny.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »
oh wow, i did miss the point haha. Yeah, that Mearle was kinda dumb, but the hand was kinda gory as in not the cleanest cut. He might have chewed his own hand off. He might not have accessed to the saw. Then again, he should have just chewed his thumb off. Also, at the end of the first season I don't expect anyone to be in their right mind.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:40:22 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
The metal bar looked thin enough to get through with a hacksaw. It sure would have been easier to cut than his own flesh and bone. :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
You ask "Who in their right mind would do that?" but he clearly wasn't in his right mind, as evidenced by his deliriousness earlier in the episode, as well as sheer terror from seeing the zombies at the door.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 19, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
wrong. that's not what I said.

Re: The Walking Dead
ep3 was good other than the whole cutting off the hand part. Who even not in their right mind wouldn't try to saw the handcuffs off before jumping to the last resort and cutting off your own freaking hand. You might even try breaking your own thumb to slip out of the cuffs before you cut your freaking hand off.

I know he wasn't in his right mind(that is what I said), but he also knew that his danger wasn't immediate from the zombies considering they had been having trouble getting through the door the entire time he was struggling. even the craziest of crazy people would explore other options if they knew they didn't need to be out of the cuffs in 2 seconds.

But I don't want to argue over that. Either they explain it in the next episode or they were following some storyline from the comic, but still, it just seems like lazy writing that could have easily been avoided by showing cut marks on the cuffs and on the bar.

It's the same type of bad writing that I had issue with on this weeks No Ordinary Family too.
I don't know if anyone here is watching that show too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
I'm sorry, I misread what you said. Still, I think it's odd to assume that he would be thinking clearly enough in that situation to make that decision, and that it's a bit overly critical to call it lazy writing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 19, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
Overly critical to think that even in the most stressed out situations where death is not an immediate threat, you wouldn't automatically jump to cutting your own hand off instead of atleast trying to cut the cuffs or the bar they are attached to? maybe breaking your own thumb or something like that?

This ain't Evil Dead and he ain't Ash, and I got the impression that they were going for a "realistic" approach to surviving a Zombie Apocalypse. A man with only one hand will have a lot harder time defending himself when push comes to shove or run comes to climb.

The lazy part of the writing is not the cutting off of the hand, but the skipping what led to it. If they show what happens this week, then fine, but otherwise it really only would have taken a few attentions to details to not even have the thought come up.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
I don't think he saw it as a situation where death wasn't an immediate threat. He didn't see what the other guy did to lock the door so he didn't know how secure it was, and it doesn't seem like the kind of situation where you assume that you have time and are safe.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 19, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
This ain't Evil Dead and he ain't Ash [...]

Ain't that the truth. Now I want a Marvel Zombies miniseries... the Evil Dead based prequel to that was great.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #899 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:36 PM »
Just finished BSG S2.5 E6 , I can't believe they killed Billy! :( :( 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:53:15 PM by NWR_Grant »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?