Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192895 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
Ricky Gervais Show: The monkey's on call with the fire department. Brilliant!

Life & Times of Tim: God, this is a great show.

The Last Three Episodes of Lost: Good to be caught up. Sahid's clearly losing his mind.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 26, 2010, 01:37:04 AM »
3rd Rock From The Sun (1st Season)

9.5/10

It's pure comedian genius... in my opinion of course.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2010, 07:46:31 AM »
Blood+ - 9/10 - Well, after 2 years my long Odyssey of trying to get through this 50-episode show finally concludes, thanks to being able to multitask watching this while playing Resonance of Fate.  To this day, I still can't fathom Sony's decision to release this show in 2 $80+ sets with a 2-year window between releases.  Anyway, overall I really liked this show, and it's probably the only anime I've seen since Fullmetal Alchemist (with the exception of the recent Evangelion 1.11) that really reminded me of the kind of shows that got me into anime in the first place (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Robotech, Gundam 8th MS Team, etc.).  It's certainly the only Production I.G. show I can stand so far.  Blood+ is also one of the very few series I've seen where I feel the 50-episode length was justified without having to rely on fanservice and padding, instead focusing squarely on good character development and a plot that surprised me at times with the directions it would go.  I really only have two big complaints: first, there's a pointless and irritating plot development that comes out of nowhere in the final 8 or so episodes that not only severely detracts from what was otherwise a very character-driven plot, but insults me as an American (seriously, the Japanese need to get over WWII).  The other complaint is that although I like Sony's English dub, it suffers from very obvious budget problems: Simply put, this is a massive story with a suitably-massive number of characters, but the dub cast by comparison is very small.  This means that you frequently have minor and less-major characters doubling up with the same actors, leading to scenes where it's quite common for an actor to be talking to himself...talking to himself...talking to himself in barely differentiated voices (Crispin Freeman is a repeat offender here with one of the most hilariously-bad French accents I've ever heard). 

On minor complaints, there's also a plot arc with a minor character that spends a great deal of time going exactly nowhere, with 2 characters basically shadowing the main group for well over half the series.  The show's also extremely heavy on the jargon, so if you aren't paying attention it can be easy to get lost.  Finally, the first half of the show seems to be where this show makes or breaks it with people: if you're expecting an action show like the original Blood: the Last Vampire (a movie I despise), look somewhere else.  There is action, but it's mostly a lot of talking and character development (though nowhere near the levels of endless vocal white noise you get in something like Ghost in the Shell).

On a sidenote, Marc Manchina's orchestral core for this series is fantastic and fits the animation perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:15:20 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
Well over the past few days I have been watching Spider-man:The Animated series.
It is a great series overall and a must watch show for fans of Spiderman and 90's animation in general.
5 out of 5.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 29, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »
Well over the past few days I have been watching Spider-man:The Animated series.
It is a great series overall and a must watch show for fans of Spiderman and 90's animation in general.
5 out of 5.

If you haven't seen the recent Spectacular Spider-man, you should.  It completely annihilates the 90s animated series in everything but scope (which is a byproduct of one series lasting many years and another only 2).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:34 PM »
Sons of Tucson 7/10 it loses a half a point every time they reference Tucson without actually researching Tucson.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2010, 04:17:04 AM »
5 out of 5.

If you haven't seen the recent Spectacular Spider-man, you should.  It completely annihilates the 90s animated series in everything but scope (which is a byproduct of one series lasting many years and another only 2).
Well I started watching the series a little bit after your post here and finished the series a little while ago. My thoughts it is a pretty fun series. The combat is better in this series than the 90's series.
The story is ok. I felt myself getting into the 90's series more. Unfortunatly both series leaves a cliffhanger at the end of the respective series.

The 90's series grabbed my attention more and held it.
Both are good series.
5 out of 5.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
3rd Rock From The Sun (2nd Season)

9/10

Damn if this isn't some great comedy. I really liked their dream sequences, even though I didn't have 3D glasses to watch them with.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »
Season 3 of Greek. My wife has been watching the whole series, and I sit on the couch and play Pokemon. I'm not that interested in the show (I really hate girlie politics, which is basically the whole show) but some of the ZBZ's are cute, and Cappy is funny.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 01, 2010, 02:30:46 AM »
Supernatural Season 4. It was a great watch, but I think scope of the show has almost gotten too big for its own good. My favorite episodes are usually the monster of the week episodes (I think because they remind me so much of the X-files) but to bounce between "Teddy Bear comes to life" and "The fate of the universe is in your hands, kill your brother!" it is a tough thing to pull off.

3 stars

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
The scope of the show is even bigger in Season 5... I caved in and started downloading all the episodes so far because I couldn't wait any longer for the season to finish and for this season to come out on bluray.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »
I seen Stogi already mentioned this on page 2 but Home Movies, one of my favorite shows I would give a 9/10 it would get a nine but season one had this terrible thing called squigglevision.  The other 3 seasons rely heavily on retroscripting and branching stories that meet up in the middle much like Seinfeld.  A drunk soccer coach that has no idea how to play soccer that somehow becomes a competent father figure somehow works so well.  If you start to watch I would suggest not starting with season 1. It only lasted 4 seasons but it has a proper season finale that wraps everything up so nicely.  I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLZgESsVeAY&feature=related
Short clip
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHA I just watched the new southpark!

**** was hysterical. Do yourself a favor and watch it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:04 AM »
Just wanna remind everyone that FOX is up on Netflix now.
Lots of FOX's TV shows are up for streaming.

We're talking about all seasons of:
Arrested Development, 24, Bones, Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Prison Break, The Dead Zone, X-Files, Firefly, Sliders, 21 Jump Street, King of the Hill & Rescue me.

Most of them listed here:
http://www.netflix.com/WiGenre?trkid=1457040&sgid=1446&lnkce=mdp-genre

But this allows me to catch up on those last 6-7 episodes of 24 that I missed last season, that also prevented me from even watching it at all this season.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:42:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »
Speaking of Netflix, I started watching Buck Rogers. Awesome trip down memory lane, but my god is this show cheesey. I suppose if you keep it in context of 1978 then its not so bad. Also, Knight Rider, Airwolf, and The Incedible Hulk are more great early 80s hamfests.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Sweet.  Thanks for the heads up!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »

We're talking about all seasons of:
Arrested Development, 24, Bones, Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Prison Break, The Dead Zone, X-Files, Firefly, Sliders, 21 Jump Street, King of the Hill & Rescue me.

Most of them listed here:
http://www.netflix.com/WiGenre?trkid=1457040&sgid=1446&lnkce=mdp-genre

But this allows me to catch up on those last 6-7 episodes of 24 that I missed last season, that also prevented me from even watching it at all this season.

HELL YES.

I just added Arrested Development and the first episode of season 1 is DVD only, what the hell??
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
Doctor Who (Season 5) - The Eleventh Hour.

Matt Smith is... wow. It's found its feet pretty damn fast.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 04, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »
YES!

"On 29 September 2009, it was announced that a deal had been struck between ITV, Watch, Impossible Pictures, German broadcaster Pro7 and BBC Worldwide to produce two new series of the show for transmission in 2011. [4]
Filming for series 4 and 5 of Primeval started on 22 March 2010 and is due to finish in November 2010,[citation needed] with a supposed January 2011 airdate.
"

I'm watching primeval again, this time I got the DVDs for Season 1 and 2 in one volume. Creatures from many time periods appearing in modern day England because of some temporal rifts that happen to pop up here and there, and the characters are quite likeable, and this show isn't as random as Doctor Who or Torchwood... this show is just made of awesome.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 04, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
Primeval s1, 2 & 3 are up on Netflix Instant Watch, so if it's as good as you say, maybe I'll check it out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 04, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
It won't hurt to give it a try.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 04, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
YES!

"On 29 September 2009, it was announced that a deal had been struck between ITV, Watch, Impossible Pictures, German broadcaster Pro7 and BBC Worldwide to produce two new series of the show for transmission in 2011. [4]
Filming for series 4 and 5 of Primeval started on 22 March 2010 and is due to finish in November 2010,[citation needed] with a supposed January 2011 airdate.
"

I'm watching primeval again, this time I got the DVDs for Season 1 and 2 in one volume. Creatures from many time periods appearing in modern day England because of some temporal rifts that happen to pop up here and there, and the characters are quite likeable, and this show isn't as random as Doctor Who or Torchwood... this show is just made of awesome.

I made a big hubbub about this last year :D

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
You did? My bad. I need a new brain...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
I just added Arrested Development and the first episode of season 1 is DVD only, what the hell??

It's just the extended pilot that's disc-only.  Honestly, you're not missing much.  There's a few extra minutes of footage.  However, the pacing of the extended pilot isn't nearly as good as the final version.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
I am on a Firefly marathon right now (thanx Netflix & Fox) and I'm really disappointed that there are only 14 episodes of this show. I just finished ep9 and I've already seen the movie Serenity, but I can't see why this show didn't at least get a second season.

I mean Paris Hilton gets a job or gets a life or whatever that show was called has 2 or 3 seasons and that show was just stupid. Heroes might even get a 5th season and that show hasn't been good since the 1st season. Now I see why all those Firefly fans have been crying out for so long about this show and now I feel bad for never bothering to figure out what it was all about.

It is good to see that most of the people have moved on to other shows and I even recognized a few of them; like the "Companion" chick is Anna from V, John Casey from Chuck has pretty much the same character on this show, the pilot was also on V, the pilots wife was on several things including The Shield, the crazy chick was a Terminator and I think is now on Dollhouse and The Captain is on Castle (which I've never watched, but might check out now).

So far I give Firefly an 8.5/10
I'm gonna have to re-watch the movie again after this series and see if it get any better(I had already really liked the movie without ever having seen an episode of Firefly).