Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #26: Ys Book I&II (Official Discussion)  (Read 41248 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RFN RetroActive #26: Ys Book I&II (Official Discussion)
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
This is the official forum thread for the RetroActive discussion of Ys Book I&II. All posts here will be considered for use on the podcast when we talk about the game for an upcoming episode.

Ys Book I&II is an action-adventure game similar to 2D Zelda, but the combat is notably different. In the Turbo CD version (available on Wii Virtual Console), there is no need to swing a sword. Instead, your character (Adol) stabs enemies by running into them at an offset, so that their own weapons don't hurt him in the impact. The game also has magic and equipment, not to mention a classic story that features FMV animation and one of the earliest examples of voice acting in a console game. One of the game's most defining characteristics is the exuberant heavy rock soundtrack enabled by the original CD format.

There are also versions available for DS, PSP, and PC (including Steam).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #26: Ys Book I&II (Official Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
Based on some issues friends had when the game first released on VC, here are a few tips to make the beginning smoother for folks who have never played this before:

-When you buy equipment, make sure to actually equip it.

-You can easily make enough money in the first five minutes to afford better equipment, which will let you jump into the game without any grinding: Go to the shop and buy the Sapphire Ring, then take it to the bar and sell it to the man there for a hefty profit. You'll also get enough EXP to level up.

-To illustrate what Jonny said about the combat:
[/size][/color]

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
@noname2200

Thanks for the useful info. I'm off to buy it now. I will perhaps have some impressions tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:36:21 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
I was definitely bumping into enemies without a sword and a shield at the beginning. I had checked the equipment screen and pressed buttons but it looked like it was simply showing me what I had equipped. I didn't think of pressing Right.  :-\

The whole offset thing... I'm kind of bumping into enemies head on without receiving damage, as far as I can tell. Not that I could come at the enemies at an angle, the game seems to be going at double speed for some reason, it's super fast.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »
Whatever you guys do, don't press start and select together. I was trying to see if there was a way for me skip NPC text and accidentally pressed both buttons together and it reset the game. luckily I had just saved the game.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
I was getting annoyed by the lack of any in game maps, so after a bit of searching I found a fantastic little guide which gives loads of information on items and also includes maps for each area. Very useful if you can't work where the hell you are.

http://www.vnotesonline.com/ys-book-i-ii
Gouge away.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »
I was getting annoyed by the lack of any in game maps, so after a bit of searching I found a fantastic little guide which gives loads of information on items and also includes maps for each area. Very useful if you can't work where the hell you are.

http://www.vnotesonline.com/ys-book-i-ii

I downloaded the game today on the VC, and gotta say I like what I'm playing so far. And everybody, I would have to say although the game isn't exactly confusing, the maps provided by the link above are a great help.

I find it interesting with the whole attack mechanic being just running into enemies at an angle. Made me think of The Last Story, which is the only game I can think of where you just move at an enemy to attack them. Leveling up at least for the time being is quick and easy. I just went outside, grinded for one song on my mp3 player, and got the money I needed for the initial weapons.

Also, was shocked to hear like a narrator, and voice acting! When you see a game that is 16-bit, you do not expect voice acting.

Glad this game was picked, will continue on for sure. So far it's way better than the game I just finished, Metro 2033, which was also sorts of mediocre FPS non-fun.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
Legacy of Ys is already on my DS list, so perhaps I'll take this opportunity to bump it up and buy it. There's actually a GameStop fairly close by that has a copy according to their website, and I was thinking of calling to ask if it includes the original case and manual. But then I realised that I have no idea how to pronounce "Ys" so that they would know what I'm talking about. Is it pronounced like the letter Y but plural? Or is it something more abstract like "eese" as in geese?

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
Ease.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Got through the Shine lair/dungeon. The boss of the area is extremely tough. I lost to it like 20-25 time easy. Glad this game lets you save just about anywhere. Crazy part was I thought I was overleveled going into the fight. Guess not.

Though you do seem to gather money pretty fast. I should be able to upgrade my weapons/armor now with all the gold I collected before the next area.

And the music in this game really rocks.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:44:36 PM »
Pro Tip: You can stand still on the overworld to fill up your health. This also works in the Shrine Entrance, after you beat that green wizard.

Another Pro Tip: Save often, but only in safe areas.

Yet Another Pro Tip: You can earn 2000+ gold very fast in the shrine. It's worth the trek back to Minea Town to buy a new sword, armor, and/or shield. You can also easily complete the Sapphire Ring quest for a small profit (and maybe a bit of experience).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:54 AM »
I kind of get the same satisfaction from this game that I did from Faxanadu. Which is to say, it scratches that itch of feeling hopelessly exposed one minute and then feeling overpowered the next. So far the equipment and item upgrades have been coming thick and fast, which seems to be the real draw here. I do appear, however, to have already filled in most of the equipment and inventory slots, so I have to wonder whether or not I'm about to hit a cliff in terms of upgrades. I hope not, because the story sure isn't doing anything for me right now. Upgrading Adol and gaining levels has been the fun part for me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:07:02 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
I love the Turbo Duo version of Ys Books I & II. I got stuck at the giant Bat boss. I think I missed something along the way because I was doing basically no damage.

Faxanadu is a great game too, Pixelated Pixies. I compare Faxanadu to Dark Souls because of how grim and unrelenting it is. The music is amazing, which always helps.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Faxanadu is a great game too, Pixelated Pixies. I compare Faxanadu to Dark Souls because of how grim and unrelenting it is. The music is amazing, which always helps.

It is, indeed , a great game. It's probably one of my favourite NES games.

I need to try Dark Souls at some point, because it really sounds like something I'd be in to. Unfortunately, I only currently own a Wii and 3DS and therefore haven't had the opportunity.
Gouge away.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
Since neither of you mentioned it yet: Faxanadu is made by the same developer (Falcom) as the Ys series. The similarities are no coincidence! But Faxanadu is much closer to Ys III than Book I&II.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
Really want to participate but no gaming budget right now means no access to the game, and my memories of playing back in the day are too hazy to make any useful comment.

However, wanted to chime in with two semi-related thoughts:

1.  Faxanadu (NES) really is a fantastic 2D action/RPG. I had no idea that game was also developed by Falcom until Jonny mentioned it, but can totally see a connection.
2. It's worth mentioning that liking or disliking Ys Book I&II shouldn't determine if you will like other games in the series.  Different games in the Ys series sometimes offer very different play styles.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
Since neither of you mentioned it yet: Faxanadu is made by the same developer (Falcom) as the Ys series. The similarities are no coincidence! But Faxanadu is much closer to Ys III than Book I&II.

Head blown, lol. I'm embarrased to say that it's been so long since I played Faxanadu that I hadn't even realised it was the same company.  :-[

That they're made by the same developer totally makes sense, though. As you say, that's clearly no coincidence.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:26:53 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
Actually, Falcom did not develop Faxanadu, they licensed it out to Hudson Soft to develop.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
So it is a coincidence?!

Now I'm just confused.

*...goes back to playing the game.*
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
I am having a hard time finding out what role Falcom had in the game. They either just licensed it out to Hudson Soft, or they co-developed the game with them.

I would love to play the game, but like ejamer I dont have the funds to buy the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »

It's been a few years since I listened to it, but I think this Retronauts Falcom podcast touches on Faxanadu.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8982185

I'm going to listen to it again this week. Falcom is very interesting to me.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »

The whole offset thing... I'm kind of bumping into enemies head on without receiving damage, as far as I can tell. Not that I could come at the enemies at an angle, the game seems to be going at double speed for some reason, it's super fast.

This version of the game is probably the fastest, so the developers seem to have compromised by letting you run head-on into enemies that are a bit below your level without suffering damage (just don't stop moving, or they'll hurt you). Just don't try that with enemies you're encountering for the first time: you may have noticed by now, especially with the bosses, that you can die very quickly in this game.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
This version of the game is probably the fastest, so the developers seem to have compromised by letting you run head-on into enemies that are a bit below your level without suffering damage (just don't stop moving, or they'll hurt you). Just don't try that with enemies you're encountering for the first time: you may have noticed by now, especially with the bosses, that you can die very quickly in this game.

Yeah, I'm now against the vampire bat boss, and he kills me way too quickly. I think I'm approaching him from the right angle, and I do dish out some damage, but not enough before he kills me. It's... not very fun. Too bad because I've been digging the game up to this point.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:57 AM »
The boss battles generally have been the weakest part of the game for me so far. There really doesn't seem to be much strategy to them (apart from simply leveling up), and if there is any strategy then the game does a terrible job of imparting that to the player. Every boss I've beat in the game has felt like luck.

Still digging it though. The fact that I can save right beside where the boss will spawn certainly helps reduce the frustration (I'm looking at you La Mulana!).
Gouge away.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
I agree with both of you. The boss battles in Ys I generally suck: to this day I'm not sure why I sometimes win and sometimes lose. The good news is that they're rare (five or six total, I think), and that they become much improved in Ys II.