Author Topic: Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a Failure to the Zelda Franchise  (Read 8355 times)

Offline ForgottenPearl

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a Failure to the Zelda Franchise
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »
I love the frontpage image showing all targets on Link.  It sums all this up well. :)

Offline animeetchi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
I haven't finished the game yet, stop start, stop start. In fact i've only ever finished the two n64 variants, and enjoyed the skyward one.

Q: I went to ask this on a YT  b4, but Is hardware what limited this zelda game from being more engaging?

Because from a creative point, the foundations are there.

*Incentives i feel are lacking. And variety to break monotony

*could technically a portion of dungeons  have been substituted to utilise the surrounding area for challenges, puzzles/fights/riddles (using things like sunset/sunrise/"when the sky is red and there is but only undead" etc). but still have the datum warp.

* Small achievements for entertainment: height, temp, glide.
*little fun challenges, like using the shield to slide down the mountain for a seed thing.
* things like the element horse beast , could have been possessed by gannon, then upon defeat have a character/personality return, and idk unlock an element buff that you can select to contribute to either a bow/sword/shield (lvl1,2,3). Add a bonus to be able to summon them in the area as an alt mount.
* fairy. Maybe it could have been in hibernate as apart of the story
* More character connection, involvement.

Because i feel that if another platform with more hardware capability had a hold of this franchise, my little creative thought pool would be but a pin drop.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 01:27:35 AM »
Everytime this pops up it makes me angry.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
It's a great game if you're an autist and a bit too obtuse to figure out what made Zelda good to begin with. It's a good game if you're the kind of person who reads a 9/10 review and believes it because you didn't know how Nintendo used their clout and influence to manipulate scoring. It's a good game if you like sterile shrines in place of dungeons. It's a good game if you like bad dialogue. It's a good game if you like watching Sidon's trademark, never-before-seen flex with a twinkling smile. It's a good game if you pop a boner in the fish section of your local grocer. It's a good game if you like snow bowling with an unmarried man in a log cabin on a mountain. It's a good game if you like playing as a walking lightning rod. It's a good game if you like that little rain cloud that follows unlucky Link wherever he goes. It's a good game if you like rounding up all the megazords so that Lord Zed and Rita won't make their monster grow.

Wow what a good Zelda game. No dungeons. No likeable characters (unless you're into children's programming). No lasting weapons (they're mostly made of paper). The first master sword in the whole series with erectile dysfunction. No unique items aside from Link's starting abilities. Yeah I'm sorry but you guys are kinda slow and kinda ruined the vibe for future Zelda titles because you like to eat poop and pretend that it's just seeds. We honestly could do better, and I applaud the author of this article for calling a spade a spade. The rest of you in these comments who either behave oblivious or offended or hurt, please get a clue and stop labeling a Skyrim Lite game as "good" just because it has a rather vast yet rather empty sandbox to run around in.

Just because you're on Adderall and shrines give your shriveled, overclocked, synthetic meth-addled brain a tiny hit of dopamine due to the stimulating yet relaxing subliminal impact of a neon blue tint doesn't mean you've done the franchise any favors by ignoring the gaping holes in the fabric of Zelda's original design. This game is pretty, but it is beyond flawed as a "Zelda" title. 4/10

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
You're right. I've decided to change my opinion of this game from 6/10 to 11/10.

Everything you listed about what makes it a good and great game is absolutely true and I realize now just how much I like those things and wish more games did this. I was always focusing on the negatives but you've highlighted all the positives I missed. Thank you for finely articulating what makes this game so perfect and a must play. Now that am no longer oblivious to why this game is a masterpiece, I'm glad it is the best selling Zelda game ever since it means future entries will follow this new style because it is what the people want. Everybody wins!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
I applaud the author of this article for calling a spade a spade.

I found Justin Berube’s alt account.

Offline Melody

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
I completely agree with Justin and I know a lot of people who do as well. The new Zelda game was not made with longtime fans in mind. They threw away almost everything that fans liked about the franchise and made a generic RPG, that frankly does not excel at anything compared to other RPGs. If you're looking for an RPG, you might as well buy Skyrim or The Witcher III which are more worthy of your time. The game seems enjoyable on the surface but falls short in everything including enemies, story, characters, and battles just to name a few. Looking at the majority of the time spent in the game, you'll find yourself either wandering around in the empty world or doing annoying things such as trying to climb a cliff, looking for korok seeds, trying to farm a huge amount of items for your gear when there's barely any enemies that drop it. During my playthrough, I found myself wondering quite a few times why was I even doing this. There's absolutely no reason to do anything in botw as you are rarely rewarded with anything valuable. I do think however that the new engine and freedom are a great entry into the franchise, but it is absolutely clear that the development of the game was rushed. You might like botw and that's fine, but I am glad to hear that the Zelda team will be adding more traditional Zelda elements to the sequel.