Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review  (Read 20262 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »
I've seen people claim that Golden Eye had bad controls on the Wii unless you used a classic controller. I wanted to smack those people. Game reviewers seem to have a brain defect that makes them love dual analog controls over everything else.

I think it's more that certain motion control-loving gamers have a "brain defect" that gives them a massive persecution complex.   ::)   People like playing games they way they like to play them.  I find dual analog a much more comfortable and relaxing way to play my games, so that's what I use.  You like the responsiveness, immersion, and accuracy of pointer control.  The great thing about the Wii GoldenEye is that it accommodates us both, something I wish a great deal more games on the Wii had done and I hope we see a great deal more of on the Wii U.

If that was their argument, fine. The problem is that they act like dual sticks are more accurate and faster and whatnot.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
Thank you Neal! Hooray for save files! :D
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
The Thumb unit from the DS.  That might be interesting to use with this game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
Having just spent four hours with the game I'm afraid I have to disagree with this review. Using the stylus on such a small screen to both aim and spin the camera completely undermines the ground sections of the game. I'd have gladly taken fewer weapons and lower production values if in return Sora had either spent more time designing a control scheme that worked with the game they built, or rebuilt the game to accomodate the system it was one. As it stands, what could have been a great game, is instead a flashy but frustrating one.
Gouge away.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
If nintendo wanted to the could easily fix the game with a patch if enough people mention it to them.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
Nintendo won't cave like EA/Bioware did.

Agree to disagree, Pixelated Pixies. I feel that the Circle Pad/stylus control scheme, while still a little flawed, is the best way to play this game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
I don't know which displays the more arrogance. The fact that Nintendo thought it was ok to release a handheld with one analogue stick then subsequently try and sell people a peripheral which adds a second, or the fact that despite Kid Icarus: Uprising being in dire need of a different control scheme nobody bothered to tell the developer of the game that such a peripheral was being created.

On that topic. How come Capcom had sufficient knowledge and time to implement a dual circle pad control scheme for Resident Evil (which was released weeks ago) but Sora did not? I mean, Kid Icarus is a Nintendo property. That doesn't even make sense.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
I'll parrot what I said before: this is the best way to control this game, for better or worse.

It's like how the pointer controls were in Sin & Punishment 2. The game was designed around them, and going back to a traditional style made the game more difficult and not as good.

Also, to explain your Capcom question: Monster Hunter.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
I don't know which displays the more arrogance. The fact that Nintendo thought it was ok to release a handheld with one analogue stick then subsequently try and sell people a peripheral which adds a second, or the fact that despite Kid Icarus: Uprising being in dire need of a different control scheme nobody bothered to tell the developer of the game that such a peripheral was being created.

On that topic. How come Capcom had sufficient knowledge and time to implement a dual circle pad control scheme for Resident Evil (which was released weeks ago) but Sora did not? I mean, Kid Icarus is a Nintendo property. That doesn't even make sense.

Having dual analogue on a handheld isn't a big deal. Nintendo didn't intend to release something like the Circle Pad Pro, they created it just because Capcom wanted it (for Monster Hunter).

As for KI using it, meh. Sakurai likely didn't want to use dual analogue controls, the CPP is only supported to make it easier for lefties to play. I don't see any arrogance.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have preferred not to add a second Circle Pad, but I'm also pretty sure they would have added a third if Capcom had insisted they needed it for Monster Hunter. There was no arrogance there; it was purely a business move to secure the sales machine that Monster Hunter is in Japan. If you look at how they've done it in North America, with GameStop and Nintendo Online Store exclusivity, it almost seems like Nintendo's trying to make sure they don't sell enough of them for it to gain significant support outside of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »
As a huge Sin & Punishment fan I would have to agree. Sin & Punishment 2 was an excellent game, and the controls allowed that game to do crazy stuff that just would not have been possible in the original. Maybe that's what I'm getting at though. Imagine how cool Uprising would have been had it been released on Wii.

A few minutes ago I just finished playing through the 5th stage, the aerial section of which was funny, interesting and had loads of cool nods to another great Nintendo series, but in my experience (and that's all it is) the instant Pit touches ground he slides all over the place with the camera swiveling around him wildly.

Even in the game itself the motion of moving the camera is described like that of 'spinning a globe', which is a completely accurate description. Try spinning a globe and then as it's spinning dropping your finger on a specific country. You may get better at with practice but you won't be able to do it consistently or with any confidence that you'll hit your target. OK, so maybe the camera isn't that bad, but neither is it good enough to deal with this sort of third person action.

Anyway, that's my diatribe over. I'll shut up now and let everyone enjoy it, lol.

Yeah, good point. I guess Monster Hunter would explain that, but I'd still like to think that Nintendo has intelligence enough to not only identify a potential issue such as this, but also to realise that they've just constructed something which could conceivably address it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:25:36 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
Not to sound like a fanboy or anything, but I've always trusted the reviews on this site; they've never done me wrong.

With that said, Famitsu is way too liberal with their scores, I don't think anyone's going to argue about that

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
Even in the game itself the motion of moving the camera is described like that of 'spinning a globe', which is a completely accurate description. Try spinning a globe and then as it's spinning dropping your finger on a specific country. You may get better at with practice but you won't be able to do it consistently or with any confidence that you'll hit your target. OK, so maybe the camera isn't that bad, but neither is it good enough to deal with this sort of third person action.
Yes, it's a pretty accurate description. It'd be funny if Nintendo released a Trackball Pro for the game. That said, it didn't take me long to adapt to the scheme once I understood how it worked, and I think it works great. The only part where it's a bit troublesome is in close quarters when you've got people behind you (but I'm not sure any other scheme would be better in this situation unless you had auto-locking), and the special ability icons should have been made bigger and without the scrolling menu.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
On the other hand, you said:
People really should know by now not to trust Famitsu on just about anything when it comes to reviews.

Which is pretty harsh.

And I stand by that harshness.  I don't trust their reviews, and I don't see why anyone else should, either.  Beyond their pretty obvious grade inflation (which, while certainly not limited to Famitsu, is still pretty bad), there are some other major issues with how Famitsu reviews their games.  The article I linked in the above sentence goes into much that further, though it's not as detailed an examination as I'd like.

I'm sorry, but that article reads like it was written by someone with too high of an opinion about himself. I get that it's his "profession," but he's clearly takes himself way too seriously. I couldn't take his opinion more seriously than he takes Famitsu's reviews.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 03:24:30 AM »
Wow. A lot of back and forth, here. Personally, I have a Circle Pad Pro, so I intend on using it, which I think will make the control scheme a lot easier on the hands.

I mean, I'm a little shocked at all the negative backlash- I thought the control scheme seemed a little unorthodox, but it is at least intuitive and fresh. Personally, I enjoy stylus implementation whenever I can get it- the DS Zelda games are so fun because of their wonderful controls that are so quick-access and fun. But we'll just have to see about this one.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
I wasn't interested in this game when it was first revealed, as it look like a shoot-em-up and I'm not interested in those. It sounds like it has a lot more than that, but I have a hard time getting past bad control, which is something that practically every review mentions. I haven't liked any DS game that uses both the stylus and buttons, so I think I'll wait until this game hits the bargain bins.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
This is pushing me awful close to getting a 3ds.  Despite being an avowed 3d lover I avoided buying it until the better games come out and it seems they really have now.  I'm going to to try to hold out a little bit more but it is getting tough.  Being a Nintendo game this thing won't be dropping in price either so waiting is losing its benefits.

I love new control schemes.  A lot of people who call themselves gamers hate them because they have gotten used to and mastered the old systems and hate learning something new that gets rid of that.  I'm the opposite and love learning new control schemes becasue of the challenge, new experiences, and sometimes better controls they can bring if you are open to them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:19:38 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Even in the game itself the motion of moving the camera is described like that of 'spinning a globe', which is a completely accurate description. Try spinning a globe and then as it's spinning dropping your finger on a specific country.

That's for fast turns, obviously after a fast turn you'll still need to do precision aiming. It's like that with any control style, after a fast turn you first need to identify the targets you see now and then move your crosshairs over them because you simply cannot do a fast turn AND end up right on top of the target (except by random chance) since you cannot see it before turning.

Offline Nathaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
I'm in love with this game--it's hands down the best game on the system.  Anyone complaining about the controls obviously doesn't play very many 3/DS games--years of Picross have strengthened my hand muscles.

My only gripe is that that the bland/generic enemy designs that haunted Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary are back, though boss designs are fantastic.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »
I've really enjoyed the game as well, though any attempt to play more than 3 stages or so at a time results in my left hand cramping and forming a misshapen claw.

I've only played through stage 4, but the music and visual presentation have been fantastic thus far.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »
I wish the weapon impacts felt more powerful, they're kinda on par with the guns in Comic Jumper right now in that they feel like they aren't really doing damage. Just a lot of light flashes and after a while the enemy just explodes, especially jarring with bosses which always feel weaker than they should be.

On the other hand multiplayer is brutally hard, at least bot matches. I can hardly tell WTF is going on there. Gives great loot though, better than the stuff I can get out of the campaign at difficulties around 5.0.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
I wish the weapon impacts felt more powerful, they're kinda on par with the guns in Comic Jumper right now in that they feel like they aren't really doing damage. Just a lot of light flashes and after a while the enemy just explodes, especially jarring with bosses which always feel weaker than they should be.

On the other hand multiplayer is brutally hard, at least bot matches. I can hardly tell WTF is going on there. Gives great loot though, better than the stuff I can get out of the campaign at difficulties around 5.0.
Should play at least 7 :P: .  Anyways, I have to agree on some of the weapon they don't feel like they have as much weight as a they should.  I think the game would have benefited a little bit from giving weapons pushback on enemies.  On bosses they could really use a Life Bar or better yet decaying as you kill them, so they lose armor and just start looking worse as things go on.  It is generally jarring to beat a boss because its very sudden.

Also hammers should be able to deflect shots when you are in ground phase as well.  I was a little jarred when I found they couldn't.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Got the game at release. Had some issues with the controls the first few stages but that's pretty much gone now. It really came down to being able to hold the 3DS in a comfortable position so I didn't break the 3D and once I got that things went great. Have no complaints outside of that part the game. Has been a joy to play.

I don't think this is intended to be a portable game. At least not the way you play a game on the train or bus. I really think it's meant to be played at home or at a gathering of with friends. I assume Monster Hunter on the PSP and 3DS are meant to be played the same way. I have no problem with that at all either.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
I started this game up earlier, and I'm liking it a lot. I'm still adjusting to the controls, but I can't see them working better any other way. I'm hooked on all the customization aspects, with the weapon fusing and configuring your powers on the grid
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline fadelzz3454

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
everyday i come and read this review knowing how LUCKY i am to own such a godly title!