Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1194019 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4550 on: December 04, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
Legends of Tomorrow - WTF! Say what you want about the inconsistency of the show now, but this episode was totally batshit crazy and setup a very interesting cliffhanger to stop on.

Even Supergirl, which i said i'd drop, has improved so much since the premiere that its really trying to find interesting directions to go into this season (except James, because thats just a drag no matter what happens).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 05, 2018, 02:00:00 AM »
SG S04 premiere was an absolute mess. The season has been ham fisted to the point even cartoon villains would say no. The writing hasn't been good and it is hanging on by a thread.

If they wanted to examine the issue they need to go back to the James's defector. Have James be a reporter and investigate, interview, ask questions. I don't know what he thought he was going to achieve going to Agent Liberty with no plan, no preparation, no backup. Hell, the actor doesn't seem like he wants the job anymore.

John Jones is bad. You would think a shape shifting mind reader would know people better than they know themselves. I don't want to hurt anyone but mentally assaulting someone knowing that it would lead to their death is ok?

Blacks methods are morally wrong but you can't deny the results are satisfying. He is a better detective than the entire DEO(Which is a joke). If it wasn't for Black, snippets of Kara and Lena I would likely have dropped the show. That Lena episode was wow someone knew what they doing.

LOL President losing his **** over a single news paper. Also LOL no knowing SG's identity. Half the DEO knows or has to have figured it out by now.

Oh God NO. A bloody chosen one story line. No, NOOO.

They finally have Kara act a little like a reporter but they throw that under the bus 10 seconds in.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: December 05, 2018, 02:06:27 AM »
Legends of Tomorrow - WTF! Say what you want about the inconsistency of the show now, but this episode was totally batshit crazy and setup a very interesting cliffhanger to stop on.

I just jumped through the previous episode descriptions to figure out where I left off on LoT, and damn this show looks alot more random than I ever remember it being.
I believe I left off a handful of episodes before S2 ends..... should I just start fresh on S3?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: December 05, 2018, 02:31:12 AM »
The real question is do you have a reason not to?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: December 05, 2018, 04:45:19 AM »
SG S04 premiere was an absolute mess. The season has been ham fisted to the point even cartoon villains would say no. The writing hasn't been good and it is hanging on by a thread.

If they wanted to examine the issue they need to go back to the James's defector. Have James be a reporter and investigate, interview, ask questions. I don't know what he thought he was going to achieve going to Agent Liberty with no plan, no preparation, no backup. Hell, the actor doesn't seem like he wants the job anymore.

John Jones is bad. You would think a shape shifting mind reader would know people better than they know themselves. I don't want to hurt anyone but mentally assaulting someone knowing that it would lead to their death is ok?

Blacks methods are morally wrong but you can't deny the results are satisfying. He is a better detective than the entire DEO(Which is a joke). If it wasn't for Black, snippets of Kara and Lena I would likely have dropped the show. That Lena episode was wow someone knew what they doing.

LOL President losing his **** over a single news paper. Also LOL no knowing SG's identity. Half the DEO knows or has to have figured it out by now.

Oh God NO. A bloody chosen one story line. No, NOOO.

They finally have Kara act a little like a reporter but they throw that under the bus 10 seconds in.

I'm trying to give it some leeway. It's an interesting topic and they have a lot of potential to do some interesting things with it. That said, Manchester has easily been the most productive character and got the most things done than everyone else except Lena. I really want them to treat the DEO like the Destiny in SGU, or DS9 itself, how we get to spend time with the seemingly dozens of other characters in the show in that fixed setting. There's a world of opinion and shading there and it would be great to see things from their perspective.

I'm not gonna knock them for trying because they definitely are.

I just jumped through the previous episode descriptions to figure out where I left off on LoT, and damn this show looks alot more random than I ever remember it being.
I believe I left off a handful of episodes before S2 ends..... should I just start fresh on S3?

S2 was the start of the upswing. Somewhere around that point they leaned hard into the lunacy of the situation and began developing stories rooted around the situation being stupid like Rory secretly being a writer which this new work allows him to do more freely, rather than going for a serious face like they did in S1.

In season three there's an episode titled Guest Starring John Noble, because why not? They even mocked The AV Club in S4. It's become so gloriously silly that it's actually the only show in the Arrowverse to have a sense of humour.

Black Lightning is still better than the other with the family dynamics and bickering in just 20 episodes, however.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:47:09 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: December 05, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
The LoT runners clearly know who their audience is and they care about them and the show with the skills to back it up. They don't seem to have any top down pressure/committee/focus group or they ignore it.

Like SG, LoT does deal with issues but unlike SG it's clever about it by not making a statement. It's just is, they disarm it with a joke and is well integrated. Nothing is sacred, everything is fodder for good comedy.

lol Movember. That had to be a stab at Superman's mustache fiasco.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: December 05, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
I've now watched Seasons 4 & 5 of RWBY, which finally catches me up to the current season.  Overall, these were great seasons, though they lacked a bit of the emotional kick of season 3.

In fact, Season 4 dials things down quite a bit as following the devastation at the end of season 3 the characters are left wandering the countryside on their own personal journeys.  It's quite a different tone for the show as things slow down and the writing focuses on personal growth & recovering from loss, some mourning the loss of friends; others their loss of identity; and one in particular dealing with losing their arm at the end of the previous season.

This is definitely where the show expands its scope and you get a great deal more of a sense of the world of remnant, and certain characters gain depth they really didn't have before. Also, if you haven't been watching those "World of Remnant" history/world videos, now's a good time to do so because there's a LOT of lore in this world that the main show doesn't really address but which nicely complements and foreshadows events in the actual show.

Season 5 is more of the same, but with the characters finally reaching the show's 2nd major location in Haven Academy there's a lot of sitting around while the elder characters finally revealing the Truth of the prior seasons to the younger ones. This is the 1st season where the episodes have a fixed longer length, around 15-20 minute episodes (leading to a 4 hour season), which means there's a great deal more time for that sort of thing and little character moments. Unfortunately, Season 4 introduced a new character that's not actually a new character, and I hate that they went that route. It really cheapened a major event from Season 3 for me.

That said, the season ends on a strong note with the scattered parties finally reuniting and scoring their 1st actual win against the villains since the 2nd season.  I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes once all of Season 6 is out.  RWBY's been a welcome surprise these past few weeks, as I've watched an OK show improve to a good show, and finally a great one over the course of the 5 volumes. It's a rough going at first, but I recommend it. I see shades of Avatar: TLA and Harry Potter in its world-building and dedication to improvement and maturation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: December 22, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
Does anyone watch Travelers on Netflix? Season 3 was released and i have some questions. Season 2 ended on a big cliffhanger where 001 revealed to our teams' significant others that they are Travelers, only for the S3 premiere to kill this off by using the memory inhibitor to wipe all their memories. For the one person who remembered things from before the inhibitor took effect, he continued to be a nuisance right up until an incoming Traveler overwrote him anyway. Completely killing the narrative tension of that cliffhanger.

On top of that, they establish the Director has to operate multiple timelines and millions of potential options, so why is it in "our" timeline issues Protocol Omega (an amazing "**** you you're on your own" protocol), the team finds a way to send Mac back to before 001 arrives to tell them to not send 001? How does Mac manage to do that when there's no other teams in place, thus no infrastructure and no way to communicate back to the Director? The show has explicitly said there is multiple timelines but when Mac goes back, wouldnt stopping 001 to go back ultimately wreck the entire timeline thus causing the events of the entire series to have never happened???
Ending the season on what is essentially a gigantic reset button.

The Director feels like a deliberately vague and weaker imitation of The Machine from Person of Interest. POI set up the rules and how the Machine works, gave the Machine character without a voice and functioned according to her own rules. The Director speaks only when it wants, is openly called a dick by other characters for its reasonless-decisions, other characters actively try to assume its decisions for you because it doesn't speak and other people try to counteract its decisions.

For a show that actively has set protocols as to how the teams should function, the Director has none and that wishy-washyness allowed for all of my issues with this season.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: December 29, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
went through a few shows recently.

Titans - DC Universe
haven't finished the last 2 episodes just yet, but overall, the show ain't half bad.
It's grim dark moody action drama, but the action is pretty well done and the show is interesting.
Almost everything I know about the majority of DC's characters is from the cartoons, so I can't speak to how "comic accurate" some of these portrayals are (I like Teen Titans and TTGo), but this show managed to hold my attention, and I came in expecting to hate it. LOL

Runaways S2 - Hulu
I think overall this was a much better season than the 1st one. I burned though this whole season starting last night all the way through early this evening. (beauty of multi-tasking while working from home). There was some good developments, and even a few badass moments in this one, specifically for Niko Minoru. You just gotta remember that for as smart as some of these kids are, they are still a bunch of stupid ass highschool kids that don't know what they are doing, and it shows. Looking forward to S3

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - Netflix
Not this was a unique thing that Black Mirror and Netflix developed here. This is a Choose Your Own Adventure episode where you actually click choices on the screen to progress the story when prompted. Apparently there are several ending, and quite a few alternate paths you can take to see all the content shot for this one.
This format will probably be a new hook for Netflix, since it seems to be kinda un-bootleg-able through other streaming sites. You will have to subscribe to Netflix to experience this one.
You can definitely have a little fun with the story in this one, such as a very unexpected action sequence among other surprises LOL.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: December 31, 2018, 01:06:39 AM »
Big Mouth - Netflix

O.M.G. WTF is this show. LMAO
about the age of puberty in some middle schoolers lives. The humor in this is very in your face and extremely raunchy. VERY NSFW and do not watch this with kids. This cartoon is so over the fucking top, but honestly it's actually pretty damn funny.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4560 on: December 31, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
Bandersnatch was a very cool concept, but it completely left me wanting more. There's one character that seems to understand the rules, which are kinda Zero Escape-like, but it's never really explored. That's Black Mirror's MO though, so I should've expected it. The meta references were a bit much for me. Despite complaints, I had a lot of fun with it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:00 AM »
Bandersnatch makes me want the whole genre.

in 7th-8th grade I taught myself how to program BASIC and have always enjoyed these games. The previous 2 years I had been pretty into Goosebumps and was really into the Choose your own adventure genre.

There were PC and some Sega CD type games like this in the past, but they were never Netflix production quality.

The closest to this recently that I played were Hidden Object games which were a bit of a guilty Pleasure.

I feel like I could write an Epic Choose Your Own Adventure Screenplay. I organize my movie shelf by Sub-Genre.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »
A few days later and I'm still thinking about Bandersnatch. I fell asleep watching a PBS Space Time show on youtube that verged into talking about alternate realities.  What a rabbit hole.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: January 03, 2019, 02:30:38 AM »
The Masked Singer. What a way to create interest through suspense and mystery.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Episode 1

Unlike some people I enjoyed the first season of Star Trek Discovery, so I was excited to see how the next one would go, and based on how tonight's episode went I'm cautiously optimistic that the show's going to feel more like traditional Star Trek going forward. There's still going to be a season-long arc, but it seems like more of an open-ended one that involves a lot of exploration, as opposed to the war-heavy first season. It also doesn't seem to be rushing things, which I felt was the main problem with season 1. The new additions to the crew seem pretty interesting, especially Tig Notaro's character, and although having Chris Pike take over as captain may be a little bit too fan-servicey, he's doing a good job and seems to lighten the mood more than his predecessor.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
Sex Education is pretty hilarious so far.

Season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was also good though maybe two or three episodes too long. They could have cut a couple in the middle.

Finally caught up in Agents of Shield. Season 4 was significantly better than Season 3. The first half of Season 4 with Ghost Rider was much better than the Life Model Decoy arc. Aida getting Inhuman powers and teleporting with away with Fitz was legitimately the first time I felt genuinely shocked by this show in a while. She was kind of a wasted opportunity otherwise. I didn’t really buy her character arc. They could have done so much with that character instead she was all, “Fitz doesn’t love me! Rrrrraaaaaagggggggeeeeee!!!!” Some of the writing was especially bad particularly when referencing current events. At one point, Coulson said “alternative facts” which was all the cringe.

Season 5 was odd but not bad like Season 3. It felt low budget and kind of soap opera-y. It was pretty ballsy what they did with Talbot, but it just didn’t play out that well. Overall, Agents of Shield just got really cheesy with some of the ridiculous villains and the excessive shipping. Apparently, Coulson is a goner and if so, I’m kind of wondering what the point of this show is. Not sure of the timing, but I’m hoping it was merely an explanation so Clark Gregg would be available to film his scenes for Captain Marvel. Then again, Avengers: Endgame may have some time travel aspects that could “reset” Agents of Shield. I believe Season 6 premiere in Summer 2019, notably after Avengers: Endgame.

Season 3 of Better Call Saul was a delight. It’s nice seeing some of the pieces beginning to fall into place.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:14:02 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure Alternative Facts was a reference to current real life situation (precursor to Fake News) .
Some things may be lost when not watched in the moment of relevancy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:42:04 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: January 18, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure Alternative Facts was a reference to current real life situation (precursor to Fake News) .
Some things may be lost when not watched in the moment of relevancy.
I know. I literally said that. It’s cringy that the writers put it in the script, felt cheap as far as attempting to eliciting a reaction from viewers.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: January 19, 2019, 12:08:58 AM »
STD: Still really bad. Should have called episode one "We blew up the budget".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: January 20, 2019, 09:55:26 AM »
Currently on Season 2 Episode 4 of The Punisher. Is there any reason why no one immediately washes their hands and face after getting someone else’s blood on them?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:02 AM »
I posed that exact question in another forum.  I guess it's just the in thing to grab some kip whilst covered in blood and goodness knows what else.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
If he doesn't spend half the episode covered in blood, how are we supposed to know how bad ass he is?.

Anyone can repeatedly bash a man's skull in with a 30 pound weight.  It takes Frank freakin' Castle to do it and wear the man's blood for the next three weeks.

Christ, it's like you people know nothing about projecting tone to your audience.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
Alternative Facts is an actual Kellyanne Conway term, not Fox News.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: January 22, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Punisher is great...about to start episode 9.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: January 27, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »
**VERY VAGUE THE PUNISHER S2 SPOILERS AHEAD**

Currently on Season 2 Episode 4 of The Punisher. Is there any reason why no one immediately washes their hands and face after getting someone else’s blood on them?

ok.... I'm towards the end of S2E1 and if you are trying to be a little incognito, why wouldn't you take 3 seconds (you are in the bathroom.... and I think there was a working sink left. LOL) to atleast wipe the blood from your nose/face so that you don't immediately stand out in that crowded environment.

p.s. that knife kill... you know which one I'm talking about... O_o
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:52:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »