Author Topic: Game Over: One final rant...  (Read 158586 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Game Over: One final rant...
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
To append to Neal's comment - I think the fact that we (as a forum) don't agree on everything says we're doing something right.  I'd rather be a part of a small but active forum where folks have an exchange of ideas than be a part of a forum where everyone agrees on everything so there's no actual discussion - instead, someone posts a link or a thought, there's ten or so "Yeah!" replies and that's it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »
Why are we still going on about Bill's rant 6 years later? The forums have changed. People have moved on. Even Bill has popped back on these forums for a brief moment here and there since. The drama is over. At least it should be.

Warning. So then I end up making a long post about these forums. Ha ha ha, The forum rants never end.

I'll admit, that the only time it started to get to me was 2013 when Wii U sales stopped after launch and then 3rd parties started pulling support right away. The console discussion was just one thread after another on some variation of all the negative press and news and focus on the Wii U. At the same time, it's hard to make positive thoughts on negative news but it just seemed to end up being the same tired discussion and arguments over and over. Fortunately, that seems to have become far less frequent and frankly, the forums lately have seemed to be more positive (with the usual exceptions) and more active as well. It seems like a lot of previous posters have popped in for a moment here and there to say hi or check up on things and there just seems to be a better community spirit going on right now or at least more tolerance for people. Part of me wonders if whether a lot of the posters who have left over negativity were to come back right now, to add their comments and make threads they'd like to talk about, would find that this place is not as bad as they made it out in their minds to be at the time they left.

10 years later, this is still my go-to site for Nintendo news and information and is the only community I'm really active in. I'll visit other sites here or there and check up on them maybe every month or so like PixlBit, Pietriots, OperationRainfall, etc but despite looking through other forums and communities, I still like the controlled chaos here, the way the news is handled, the level of discussion and the more intimate nature of things here. There are a lot of regulars here so there's always some kind of topic or discussion happening but it's not an overwhelming amount of people so it is easy to get to know a lot of the posters and build up a rapport with them and most people here are pretty reasonable and intelligent so I'm happy to engage with them in discussion.

Are there ways we can be better? Sure. But that is true with every site. Moreover, there is no universal solution. There is nothing that is going to appeal to 100% of people. It's like food. There is a wide variety of things a person can eat yet even the most consumed foods can have people who dislike them. Bananas are number 4 on the list of most consumed foods in the world behind rice, wheat and corn. And yet, there is someone at my work who dislikes bananas and will not eat them. So, no matter the mass amount appeal of a product, you'll have people who dislike it.

Therefore, you can not appeal to every individual and you just can't take it personally if some people dislike what you offer. That's not to say one shouldn't listen to the points a person makes in disagreement. There may be some truth and useful wisdom to gain from them. But at the end of the day, you can't turn a banana into a grapefruit. Maybe you can make the banana more appealing by turning it into a chocolate covered banana or Banana's Foster instead of just serving a plain banana. Even then, you'll get people who don't like chocolate (weirdos) or ice cream or cinnamon. Thus, it is up to the individual to decide whether they will accept what a thing is or if they will not. Maybe you'd like Apple Crumble but you're getting Banana's Foster here. Can you accept that or not? Either answer is ok but, in the end, you have to accept that maybe you are the only one here who really prefers Apple Crumble. Or maybe others would like it but they are content enough to stick to the bananas they've got so they aren't going to demand Apple Crumble with you. At the same time, if you feel this forum is only offering plain bananas and want to make it more appealing like Banana's Foster then go about trying to create it. That's what I've been trying to make more of an effort to do.

Going back to 2013 and how much the console discussion forum was getting to me and how the Funhouse seemed to be lackluster, I could either just keep letting it get to me and maybe leave or I could do something about it to try and change things. Not by adding to the negative spirit by just complaining about how things should be changed but by trying to bring back some of the community spirit and random laughs and fun that there seemed to be in the late GameCube and early Wii years. So, I started trying to get more Mafia games going again. I've thrown out random joke threads in the funhouse. I've tried to get other games going like Password and now Safe Words.

I thought about how Bill would often post anime screenshots and other posters would throw up some funny images also in threads and other discussions which made the other forums a fun place to be. It would give me a smile or laugh while reading through threads. I decided I should try doing that more myself. Why leave it on a few other posters only do it? I can contribute to that spirit as well. I try and look now for more threads where I can post something fun instead of just sticking to a couple forums or reading a few threads. If the discussion seems to be negative and serious, I try to see if I can't cause a bit of a release from the negativity while still being positive. Like Oblivion/ObbyDent's thread, where he said, after this gen he was jumping ship. I know that if I buy another console in the next gen, it would be Nintendo's no matter what the competition has. Rather than just say that, I thought I'd illustrate in a silly pic. It is in this way that I am trying to create positive change throughout the forums.

That doesn't mean I still can't have a serious discussion on things or that I'm going to make a joke about everything. One can still do both. However, I have found that by doing this and looking for ways to make myself and others laugh and try to make things more positive, I've found myself enjoying spending time on these forums more than I have in probably the last 5 years. I don't worry about the negativity because I'm creating positivity. Yet, I know that such postings will not appeal to everyone and I'll get a complaint about them here and there. Like I said, some people don't like ice cream. They'd rather have a plain banana. It's individuality. Likewise, I'll still clash with someone and post an argument if I disagree with them at times.

Yet, I recognize everyone has their own way of thinking and it is pretty hard to change a person's mind or for them to change the way they think. So, I'm probably not going to do that from a few forum disagreements here or there. Still, that is the nature of a forum. To hear, discuss and get viewpoints from many different people and backgrounds. At the end of the day, you can still learn something from anyone provided you are willing to accept that you can and look for it. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. When you are only convinced that you are right or that only your opinion matters, then you are not going to get along with other people on these or any other forums, you are probably not going to have a good time here and you are just not going to grow as a person.

Recently, I've been going over M*A*S*H quotes while playing in the current mafia game. I came across this gem from Frank Burns:

That's like saying we can all be ourselves but only it we are positive about everything Nintendo here. Or as long as no one does things we dislike. I think we can all agree that is a wrong viewpoint in life. Yet, at the same time, an individual doesn't have to impose their will and views or thoughts on everything. If you go to a classroom in which there is no assigned seating so you can sit anywhere and you notice over time that one person has a certain seat that they keep sitting in every time you attend that classroom, must you then go to that class and start sitting in that spot over a period of time also? There's no assigned seating and there is no rule against sitting there. As a member of the class, you are within your rights to sit there. Yet, what does that accomplish? Why is it so necessary to assert your rights as individual and cause friction and animosity where it didn't exist before and didn't need to exist? I'm sure I could think of a better example later but I think my point is still made with it. It's the fine line every poster in this forum, and I think any other forum, must walk. The balance of allowing individuality and freedom of expression yet maybe not always needing to use that right to the fullest extent we can. It is a balance we may not always be successful at doing. However I think if that was the rule everyone went by in this forum, it would help quell a lot of the "forum drama" that can occur.

To wrap up, I'm like Gandhi and being the change I want to see in the world forum. You don't have to agree with everything but you also don't have to disagree with everything either just because you can. What you put in is what you get out. These forums are bananas. Khushrenada writes long posts. And I'm hungry.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:10:24 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
While I, mostly, agree with what all you just said, I didn't bump this for no reason. Someone linked to it in a current thread so I read through it and wanted to comment on the way things were.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:17 AM »
He's been gone as long as Link was in the Chamber of Sages.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 29, 2016, 01:12:08 AM »
So, he's finally a man now....?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 29, 2016, 01:40:59 AM »
He probably has some surprises... down in southern Hyrule if you know what I mean.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline JaraAagard

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »
Please dont leave Bill. :(

Offline JaraAagard

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:55 AM »
He's going back right?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #508 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
So, he's finally a man now....?
He's a doctor now.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
It's the eve of Bill's goodbye. 8 years tomorrow.

Last Active: October 30, 2012, 03:38:46 PM

Forever Active: in our hearts

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #510 on: March 11, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
Sorry for the bump, but I can only imagine the OP's anger if the user was here during the extremely tumultuous Wii U era! We had users here and more prominently on other sites getting waaaaay too emotionally invested! You should have seen me during the start of the Wii era when my site started. Way too much emotion instead of calm, rational thinking. :X It's embarrassing looking in the past at early SPC posts sometimes.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 11, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
It's crazy to think that was 8 years ago. I still have ideas of doing a documentary about the forums of NWR. NOTHING i've ever done on the internet has lasted this long. Which, is creepy. It makes me like "what if it randomly ends tomorrow??!!"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2017, 06:15:46 PM »
I'd watch that. You should do it

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »
you're guaranteed at least 1 view. I think that's worth the effort. ;)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
Should interview us all for our takes of infamous situations.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:59 AM »
Narrator: Although there aren't as many members still around from that time, there are still a few who remain who remember those troubled days when Steven Rodriguez usurped Jonathan Metts as Site Director in a coup-d'Ă©tat such as long time rejected staff applicant Khushrenada who was willing to tell his story in exchange for a large sum of money.

Khushrenada: Well, when it all went down, the first thing I did was that I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

The End

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 15, 2017, 01:46:45 AM »
DVD extras: 96 hours of Khushrenada book on tape going on and on about nothing.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2017, 02:07:56 AM »
DVD extras: 96 hours of Khushrenada book on tape going on and on about nothing.

So, just me reading all my posts.....

I didn't own a cell phone up to that point and I had been looking at getting an iPod so it made sense to blend the two together. So, yes, it was mainly used as an iPod which I could text with and phone with. At the time, the idea of apps and all these things you could do on your phone like play movies and TV shows was very big. People were excited about stuff like Shazam and all that. That had an appeal to me as well when purchasing it but, after getting a few apps, my interest waned in that. There was just so many and it was like the 3rd party wall of shame Pro would post on here with so much junk obscuring the good plus the app shop seemed to be a mess to navigate that I just stopped bothering after a time. Plus, it just seemed I could use Safari to look up something up rather than bother with some app. Never bought any games for it because compared to what I could play on my DS, they just seemed inferior. I suppose when Super Mario Run gets released, that will be the first cell phone game I get. I'm curious to see what Nintendo does with the Mobile world of gaming yet I'm still kind of unsure if it will really be worth playing. I just don't have a high opinion of mobile games.

Don't use social media. I'm not on FaceBook or Twitter or Instagram or whatever else social media most likely consists of. Other things I will use my phone for though is the weather app. Use the calculator here and there when I need it. Taking a picture or a video here and there. I use the notes section for reminders of things I need to get done or as a shopping list when buying groceries. Used the map app for awhile but it just became faster and easier to use Safari and Google and look up addresses that way. Again, just having the internet and setting up multiple pages to stay on certain websites took the place of apps.

(Even then, I'm not a big internet user. A few years back, I moved to a new place but I didn't get the internet hooked up right away. Part of me wondered if I even needed it. I don't do a lot of internet surfing so I questioned why I was even paying for it when I could just look some stuff up on my phone (or at work ;) ) I went 3 full months without before finally calling a company a getting it hooked. What I found is that with my Wii U, 3DS, and phone, they need the internet or an internet connection to keep updated. Plus, having an iPhone 3 probably wasn't the greatest thing for internet surfing. However, once I got the internet, I decided to make some better use out of it by letting it fill my TV needs and no longer subscribe to internet and cable. I still don't like how much the internet costs though. With tax, its $84.00 a month and I think my internet company has been slowly raising the cost over the past year so that is it at least $6.00 more than I was paying. I should look it up and double check one of these days. Since I'm not on a contract with them, I can always quit and take a cheaper offer somewhere else I suppose or maybe I should just downgrade my plan. I hardly ever come close to using the amount of data I'm allowed each month.)

Now where was I? Oh, yes! Phone usage. Yeah, aside from taking the occasional picture, texting/ checking the weather, using the alarm app (since my alarm clock died over a year ago), writing some notes to myself........ (and on and on and on)

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
It was 9 years on Wednesday, at 6:32pm Eastern. Perhaps he was just pouring himself a spot of tea as he contemplated this forum post in the evening reality of a darkening winter sky. Maybe he was packing up his suitcase for a trip at the same time that he decided it was time for a different kind of sendoff. Or, it seems likely, that his love for us had grown cold and there was no way to rekindle the passion; best for old Bill to move on to better things. Well, there weren't, and there aren't. We were, and are, the best thing to ever happen to him, whether he ever realizes it or not. 9 winters later, the snow has yet to melt on our still-beating hearts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2018, 12:05:01 AM »
Has it really been nine years? Goddamn.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »
Has it really been nine years? Gosh darn

It'll be 10 this Thursday. Is this the longest running goodbye thread on the internet? It's like a different world now.

Everyone hop in here for old times' sake and keep the love alive. :reggie:

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
You know Bill popped in on the NWR Discord a few months back. He's made a couple rare appearances there since. Deguello has as well. The whole Game Over thing no longer really exists anymore aside from the fact that he's just too busy in life to post and hang out here like he could over a decade ago. I think that has been happening to most everyone on this forum as time marches along.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
Time keeps on slippin slippin slippin... Into the future

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2019, 03:30:40 PM »
Lets' see is someone can get him to post in here for the #10yearchallenge  LOL

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #524 on: January 22, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find. . .
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.