Author Topic: Yooka-Laylee Making Platform Switch, Wii U Version Cancelled  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Yooka-Laylee Making Platform Switch, Wii U Version Cancelled
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

Joining Stardew Valley on the upgrade train.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43792/yooka-laylee-making-platform-switch-wii-u-version-cancelled

Following Stardew Valley's move to the Switch of a couple of weeks ago, a Kickstarrter success will soon be joining it.

Playtonic Games has announced that the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee has been cancelled. According to the company's announcement, which included PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release dates, "The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned."

Backers who pledged for the Wii U version of the game can switch their preorder to the PS4 / XB1 / PC versions at no additional cost, or upgrade to the Switch version with more details to come next year. Playtonic is working with Nintendo to get the game onto the Switch. The other versions of the game are slated to release April 11.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Yooka-Laylee Making Platform Switch: Wii U Version Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
Ouch.  If I had backed the KickStarter, I'd be really unhappy with this news as none of the other platforms are viable options for me... would definitely be looking for a refund.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
Ouch.  If I had backed the KickStarter, I'd be really unhappy with this news as none of the other platforms are viable options for me... would definitely be looking for a refund.

I'm not familiar with Kickstarter - are there avenues for refunds in cases like this?

This is exactly the kind of stuff why I wouldn't ever bother backing a game on kickstarter.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
The refunds would have to be on Playtonic's end. I understand people might be angry at both devs for switching(heh) platforms so late in the game, but considering Nintendo unofficially ended support for Wii U in October with Paper Mario, it seems unfair to hold indie devs' feet to fire when they make smart business decisions.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
Are you guys kidding? I should be hearing the sounds of rejoicing not complaining. We will get Yooka Laylee on the Nintendo Switch!!!!! And if you backed it and asked for a Wii U version they'll trade your code to a Switch code.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »
Are you guys kidding? I should be hearing the sounds of rejoicing not complaining. We will get Yooka Laylee on the Nintendo Switch!!!!! And if you backed it and asked for a Wii U version they'll trade your code to a Switch code.

It sounds like you may have to pay extra to get the Switch version though, saying you'll have to upgrade to it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
The refunds would have to be on Playtonic's end. I understand people might be angry at both devs for switching(heh) platforms so late in the game, but considering Nintendo unofficially ended support for Wii U in October with Paper Mario, it seems unfair to hold indie devs' feet to fire when they make smart business decisions.

True, it might be a smart business decision to move to a new platform.

But making changes extremely late in the release cycle about which platforms the game is coming to - after you've already collected money from people based on promises that no longer make sense - seems like a lousy business model.

To be clear, my complaint is that KickStarter isn't a particularly safe or smart platform for backing video games. I have no ill will towards the developers or their choice in this case - it just sucks for a subset of KickStarter backers.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Yooka-Laylee Making Platform Switch, Wii U Version Cancelled
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
Awwww dang, was kinda counting on this and Zelda to be the last 2 big releases for Wii U... Any chance they'll be able to make it for Switch launch (window) this late in development? Could see this doing very well with the Nintendo audience, especially in early days of the console's life with not as much competition.

Hope backers will be treated well, be it with a Switch code or possible refunds or something. Can't expect everyone to have Switched over right away I don't think.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
I kinda expected this to happen over a year ago.

I backed this project, and I have been disappointed by kickstarters in the past. When you select which version you want, you select console version. You don't put preference towards which console(not yet). I have the option to gift it to my brother for his system, or make it the switch if I have a switch at the time.

Hopefully, I'll be ahead of the curve on pre-orders for Switch.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
Full disclosure: I didn't back the Kickstarter for Yooka-Laylee.

While I'm annoyed at the entire idea of an upgrade fee, I'd probably pay it and upgrade to the Switch version if there was some kind of exclusive compensation. Anyone who upgrades may have to wait longer for the Switch version, and Playtonic kept everyone out of the loop even if most people naturally assumed a Switch version was inevitable. The whole thing is dishonesty by omission. This entire mess is completely Playtonic's fault. It played up the whole N64-throwback which is all over the Kickstarter campaign. Some people pledged (and probably for the Wii U version) on that alone. Then, it just flat-out didn't bother to tell anyone. More transparency would have been a better choice. The cancellation should have been announced months ago. Yooka-Laylee gets delayed, and Playtonic still waited until now to say something. That's hella shiesty, man.

In the long run, it's for the best that Playtonic isn't marching the game out to die on an unofficially dead console. I just wish it handled the PR better. That said, I hope Igarashi handles Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night's future cancellations better because there's just fucking no way the Wii U and Vita versions will ever see the light of day given the game has already been delayed to 2018. I'm a backer, and I want the game on Switch. I hope the only reason it hasn't been announced yet is because Igarashi and Nintendo are waiting until January 12.

Offline Darth Asterix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER I HATE EVERYTHoh if there's a Switch version then that's fine.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:39 PM »
I dont believe their technical problems, but Im glad there will be a Switch version.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 03:39:24 AM »
I think the Technical problem is they kept updating their Unity, and then Unity stopped supporting Wii U in the process.
Once your middleware developer isn't making stuff, you're kinda fucked if you want to move forward.

I paid 15 pounds to get a console digital version. So, I just have to wait for it to be released.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:42:13 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »
Was hoping for this to happen. Sure most of the backers hoping for Wii U will be more pleased with this than not.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
Was hoping for this to happen. Sure most of the backers hoping for Wii U will be more pleased with this than not.

Is that because you believe most Wii U backers will be buying a Switch at launch?
(Wouldn't be shocking... assuming Nintendo makes enough stock available to make that a possibility. Most Nintendo fans seem to buy in automatically, and if you own a Wii U then you must be a Nintendo fan.)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
Yes. If someone is so into Nintendo that they backed a Kickstarter for a game to appear on a Nintendo console, they they are bound to also be supporting the next Nintendo console.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:32 AM »
I backed the Wii U version with like 10 bucks or something I don't know. I couldn't care less about the Wii U version getting caned now that a Switch version is taking its place.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn