Author Topic: Looking both ways before animal crossing  (Read 4172 times)

Offline matx88

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Looking both ways before animal crossing
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm really excited for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, because I've never played an Animal Crossing game. I wanted to know before New Leaf is released which title is a good start to a curious beginner?
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Looking both ways before animal crossing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
I'm a hardcore AC fan, and trust me when I say that playing another AC directly before New Leaf will have either no effect on New Leaf or a negative effect on New Leaf, as the core of the game (repetition) is going to be hardly changed. Cramming in time on AC[GC], WW or CF will probably burn you out for New Leaf.

(OK, if you HAVE to pick one AC to play before hand, I'd try the GameCube version, especially if the unlockable NES games are of interest to you and you have a GBA plus link cable)

Offline matx88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
Thank you very much for your advice, I think I'll just wait and pick up New Leaf so I don't exhaust myself on particular title  :rolleyes:
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
my biggest problem with the Animal Crossing series is how little it changes between iterations. I would expect Animal Crossing to evolved considerably by now, but it hasn't. Its like the designers of Animal Crossing had lofty ideas originally, but they've been thrown out to make sequels. Its like they stopped using their imagination.

That being said, if you've never played Animal Crossing before...start with the newest one thats out.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline matx88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:56 AM »
Is that the Wii title?

***Sir Miguel II***

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:15 AM »
Is that the Wii title?

These are the titles and the systems they are for.

Animal Crossing. Gamecube
Animal Crossing:Wild World. DS
Animal Crossing: City Folk. Wii
Animal Crossing:New Leaf. 3DS

The Wii title is the newest one still out but New Leaf is coming out next year.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
I'm currently playing through 'Let's go to the city', which is my first time playing an Animal Crossing title. From afar the series always seemed to me to be the antithesis of what I look for in video games. Whether or not I enjoy a game is wholly dependent upon the mechanics and systems. The 10 hours or so that I've spent playing 'Let's go to the city' tells me that the series might not be for me.

My primary concern is that the gameplay so far is very shallow. I'm not really into collecting things for the sake of it. I have no problem collecting every star in Super Mario Galaxy, for instance, but that's more a by-product of enjoying the platforming rather than a drive to collect things. In Animal Crossing, it seems to me that collecting and buying 'things' IS the game. Everything you do revolves around collecting 'stuff'. Which to me just isn't all that appealing. I barely care about my real world possessions, never mind my virtual ones.

I'm also the type of person who likes to set myself down in front of a game and really dig into it. I tend to play games in terms of hours rather than minutes at a time. Animal Crossing on the other hand seems designed so that you can only play it in small chunks and at different times of the day. As a result, usually 10 minutes after turning the game on I find myself running out of things to collect or people to talk to. I'm sure alot of the depth of the game comes from playing it on different dates and at different times, but that style of gameplay doesn't really jive with how I enjoy games.

The series quite clearly has it's fans, but I don't think it's for me.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:15:23 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:01 AM »
Is that the Wii title?

These are the titles and the systems they are for.

Animal Crossing. Gamecube
Animal Crossing:Wild World. DS
Animal Crossing: City Folk. Wii
Animal Crossing:New Leaf. 3DS

The Wii title is the newest one still out but New Leaf is coming out next year.

There was also a N64 game, which only came out in Japan. The GameCube version was essentially an upgraded port of it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
It's a shame the series hasn't evolved more.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Gamecube version but didn't bother with the DS or Wii versions because the reviews all said that they were more of the same which didn't interest me.  It was fun once but to go through it again with such similar gameplay wasn't of interest to me.  The inclusion of the NES games in the Gamecube version was great, even after the main game got old I still went back regularly to play a little Balloon Fight or Wario's Woods.  The series showed such promise, it's sad that they haven't done more with it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
If you can't wait for the new 3DS game, New Leaf, then get the Wii game, City Folk (NA title) or Let's Go to the City (Euro title). Animal Crossing is sort of like a sports game, there's not much reason to play the older titles, and in this case the only reason you'd want an older one would be if you wanted to play the NES games included in the GameCube Animal Crossing.

If you plan to play the game online then wait for New Leaf, it'll be easier to find a community to play with when it's a new game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
the gamecube animal crossing is worth owning just for that reason, that is if you dont already have the games on VC

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
I'll like to add that there is a certain charm about the Gamecube version that feels missing to me in the ds/Wii releases.  The music was a lot better and I'm of the type that enjoyed the acres layout as apposed to the rolling log view the game has going for it now.  For some reason, the acre affect made the world seem so much bigger and it was more fun to run around in as I felt I didn't know what I was going to run into in the other screen.  It gave off a 3d rpg feel for me.  The rolling log looks feel constricting to me as if that small village IS the whole world and there is nothing else. 

The new versions have all their upgrades but I still feel as if they don't hold a candle to the vibe the original gave you.  I really hope that if Nintendo were to release a new Animal Crossing on the WiiU that they'll go back to the acre layout or just a overhead third person view similar to the acres.  If anyone wants to look up at the sky for any reason (look for presents to shootdown or star gaze) then use the motion sensing features of the gamepad as a first person view.  You'll just have to hold the control up towards the sky and simulate looking up.  Throw a crosshair on there and you can even aim for balloon presents lol. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
I'm in major agreement with you Mannypon on prefering the acre system to the contiguous rolling world setup and subsequent camera changes.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
I wish the new game was 3rd person on the sligh isometric side, but the camera did all sorts of things. One thing I liked about Animal Crossing was how the world was randomized. Minecraft does this too. Actually If you combined elements from Minecraft and Animal Crossing you'd have a really good game. The thing I like about Minecraft is being able to build tructures out of blocks, the random huge environments. The thing I like about Animal Crossing is collecting all the furniture and making your own textures. Combine these and the game becomes super creative.

Keep in mind Wii U will use hard drives, so unless the existing staff are totally unambitious they will take advantage of this and make a major upgrade to the series. Actually Nintendo with hard drive support could be revolutionary.

Make your own mario level sets, make excite bike levels, make f-zero tracks, make zelda quests.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
The thing I like about Minecraft is being able to build tructures out of blocks, the random huge environments. The thing I like about Animal Crossing is collecting all the furniture and making your own textures. Combine these and the game becomes super creative.

Either that or it becomes Second Life.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline matx88

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »
does the wii title feel like a re hash of animal crossing on the ds?
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 02:59:35 AM »
To me, it does, its basically a better looking Wild World with a few upgrades but nothing that's too drastic.  I'm so torn at the moment.  I want to play some Animal Crossing at the moment to help keep the anticipation of New Leaf at bay but each one of the current games has issues that are killing it for me.  I LOVE the gamecube version but the fact that I can only play it when I'm home is an issue as my gametime is mostly done at night when nothing much goes on in the towns.  Wild World on the other hand I can take with me but for the life of me, I can't get used to how small the town feels and downgrade in graphics, its just a complete turn off for me.  The Wii version is nice but suffers from the same issue I have with the Cube edition in that I can only play when I'm home.  It also has that dreaded grass degeneration affect and that lame city that I never bother to go to. 

F me man, if only New Leaf were coming out soon.