Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509235 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #800 on: June 02, 2018, 11:12:26 PM »
Wario Land VB was fun. Its actually the only Wario Land game I've played outside of Wario Land Shake on the Wii.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 18, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
It usually takes me a while to get through games, if I finish them at all, even when I really like them, so I just now beat Celeste. There are a lot of games like it on Switch in the really challenging 2D platformer genre, but I think this is the best of them, even over something like Super Meat Boy which is fantastic and rightfully acclaimed.

The mechanics were a little hard to get my head around at first, but once I did they offered great and interesting depth with many variations along the way. Even now that I've beat the campaign there's still so much left for me to go back and do, and I fully intend to. This is one of the best games on Switch, and honestly one of my favorite games on any platform.

10/10
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 29, 2018, 01:54:16 AM »
Well, here are a few thoughts. I took a swerve into the anime game realm.

Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 (DS):Thankfully these are much more adventures games than visual novels, with most of the attendant pluses and minuses in a transfigured arrangement. Nailing evidence and contradictions can be a real thrill, but getting stuck when you know what point you want to make but can't land on the right statement/evidence combo can be extremely frustrating. Presentation-wise these are great, with some of the best spritework I've seen in any 2D game, both funny and evocative. And speaking of funny, I actually "loled" at points given the sharpness of the script. The anime tropey-ness gets annoying, but the actual line-level writing is often very clever and timed beautifully. Makes sense given that these were done by the same guy as Ghost Trick, another game with smart writing and an expressive presentation. I played these back to back and feel like I've got the Ace Attorney experience in full, so I'll probably call it here.

999 and Virtue's Last Reward (DS and PC):Finally caved and played through 999 on DS, the only console I own at the moment, and then the sequel immediately afterward on PC. Again, these games are engaging and frustrating in equal measure. Both long-winded and tedious and addictively involving. Really there's nothing like VLR in particular, where the quality of life improvement of the story tree actually becomes part of the text in an ingenious and satisfying way. More games should try to tackle time and probability like this. It is especially unfortunate, then, that VLR is ugly as sin, peopled by lame characters, and by the end completely ludicrous. (Also, Jesus Christ, someone saw me playing this with both anime wank-bait character on screen at the same time and I was fucking embarrassed. Totally unnecessary.) I didn't play the PC version of 999 with the story tree addition, but it wouldn't have been worked into the plot and there aren't that many branches anyway. It certainly had the superior atmosphere, cast of characters, and escape room design. I got really frustrated by how many dumb brain teaser puzzles padded out VLR.

I'm full up on this for now, but is the last game worth it based on this reaction?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
I'm full up on this for now, but is the last game worth it based on this reaction?

The third game is the weakest of the trilogy.  If you find the gameplay of the Zero Escape games addicting then go and get it.  If you found the story of VLR ludicrous then be prepared that ZTD is even more ridiculous in places.  I really enjoyed the trilogy but I would only recommend ZTD is you're really into the series.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 04, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
Donkey Kong Country (SNES). Classic game, but doesn't hold up that well to be honest.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 05, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »

The third game is the weakest of the trilogy.  If you find the gameplay of the Zero Escape games addicting then go and get it.  If you found the story of VLR ludicrous then be prepared that ZTD is even more ridiculous in places.  I really enjoyed the trilogy but I would only recommend ZTD is you're really into the series.
Thanks for the feedback. Is ZTD as chockful of rolling-dice, adding darts, pattern-swapping style puzzles as VLR? That really started to irk me, as it moved away from the more adventure-gamey escape rooms of 999.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 06, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Is ZTD as chockful of rolling-dice, adding darts, pattern-swapping style puzzles as VLR? That really started to irk me, as it moved away from the more adventure-gamey escape rooms of 999.

I think it was more like VLR than 999 but I don't really remember too many escape room details.  The story is more what stuck with me.  I played VLR and ZTD so close together that I don't remember what puzzles were in what game.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
It's a throwback triple bill for me, cleared out 3 Wii games over the past week in my quest to catch up on stuff I missed during the Wii generation.

1. Need for Speed: Pro Street (2007)

Not gonna lie, this is a pretty boring game. They ditched the actual streetracing for semi-underground aesthethic; circuits are now closed off and only accessible for sideways baseball cap wearers. These idiots with tribal stickers on their cars compete in a seemingly endless string of samey races, all to be crowned King Douchebag.

It's a hacked-to-the-bone port of the PS3/360 version I think, there's empty grandstands everywhere, visuals are dull and a bit muddy. But for what it's worth, everything is functional. There's cutscenes with some very mild sexism, a super annoying announcer praising the living daylights out of your every move.
Steering works fine with the tilt controls; the drag races are, well, a real drag though. You gotta take the Wiimote out of the Wii Wheel, and use waggle to shift gears. Awful.

I couldn't stand this one anymore after a few cups, so I used a cheatcode to skip to the final one. That one looked equally drab and lifeless, so I retired this game for good. It's functional, sure, but just a messy project. It controls like an arcade racer, but you can total your car easily and then you need to spend hard-earned cash on repairs. That's not what I want from Need for Speed yo.

Two stars. Functional, but very lifeless.

2. Kororinpa: Marble Mania (2006)

It's a marble rolling game. Guide a marble, or a round penguin/pig/cat/dog/the planet Saturn through an obstacle course, collect crystals along the way, and reach the exit. This one's a Hudson production, there's a sequel too!

This is a fun use of the Wiimote, basically what Super Monkey Ball on Wii should have been like. It has a cute aesthetic with vibrant colours and lil' animal sounds when you roll a cat around. Some 50 levels, which you can clear in about 2.5 hours max. There's mirror modes for all of them and another 15 or so bonus stages to get if you're diligent about getting all the special green gems.
For someone like me though, who only plays through games once most of the time, I just did the basic levels and was happy with that.

An annoying thing is that you wanna flip the Wiimote fast to see if you can launch yourself to the goal in time-saving Monkey Ball style, but the game often doesn't allow you to. You absolutely must get a bunch of the gems to finish a level, and it'll easily tell you you're out of bounds even when it's obvious you would land on a further piece of track.
Worlds are okay, 2 of them (toyland and candyland) have absolutely atrocious music, while the forest and 2 city worlds are pleasant and jazzy. It's good you can custom pick your soundtrack though, which includes stuff like a Latin version of the main theme and a Star Soldier remix?

Three stars, short but decent, and kinda cute.

3. MadWorld (2009)

Famously hyped but a sales dissapointment for Sega. I think this is PlatinumGames' first solo outing right? This one's better than I thought, even if it does feel like a shallow version of Bayonetta. The art style shamelessly rips off the Sin City film adaptations, so it still looks pretty good nowadays. Music is decent too, lots of rap songs which feel appropriate.

The violence in this is ridiculous and after a while becomes oddly stale, but the plot is just interesting enough and the announcers juuuust amusing enough to not check out completely. Lots of bossfights in this which are the main highlights. Some annoying waggle though, who thought mapping the dodge to a nunchuck waggle was a good idea?!
Sometimes the game struggles to correctly interpret your flailings which really sucks during the power struggles/finishing moves in bossfights. High tension situations are the worst possible times for control issues, kinda annoying.

Honestly this one is most interesting as a precursor to Bayonetta. Over the top style, focus on scoring systems, weird motorcycle stages, funny credits, crazy bossfights - all of which are PlatinumGames hallmarks by now.

Three stars, a bit shallow but better than its juvenile style suggests.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #808 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »

I think it was more like VLR than 999 but I don't really remember too many escape room details.  The story is more what stuck with me.  I played VLR and ZTD so close together that I don't remember what puzzles were in what game.

I finally beat ZTD today (just now!).  Unfortunately, I don't remember 999 as much since it was so long since I played it, but I think ZTD plays more like VLR from a puzzles perspective.  They feel very similar, but ZTD does take things up a good notch.

At first, I wasn't a fan of the fragmented timelines, but once the story started coming together and the full timeline showed itself I realized it works really well.  Like Ian, I think I enjoyed the story more than anything.  But I won't say ZTD was the weakest of the three.  To me, that's 999, but only because of how you had to replay puzzles to see the story. But VLR is definitely my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:22:59 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #809 on: July 10, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
Sorry for the double post.

Just beat Zero Time Dilemma for the 3DS.  Much like my earlier post about Virtue's Last Reward the ending has a bit of "buy the sequel, fucker" except there is no sequel yet or even announced.  Though actually I found the ending a little bit less of a cliffhanger than VLR.  Both games end with unfinished business but VLR gave more little details about what was ultimately going to happen in ZTD.  There is unfinished business in ZTD but it's very broad without a lot of details.  Without getting into details I feel like ZTD is more leaving things open for a sequel while VLR left tons of unanswered questions and very specifically teased ZTD's premise.

ZTD had a very non-linear progression that took a bit of time to understand and was initially off-putting.  But once you start to see how the pieces fit it's starts to work and ends up being pretty clever.  It has lots of twists and turns including some where afterwards you realize "oh they were hinting about that early on!"

Having played the whole trilogy now I can say that these games have to be videogames.  You couldn't make these into movies for example.  They all specifically try creative stuff that relies on the videogame as the medium.

I disagree about the unfinished business aspect. In the true ending, the only unfinished business is if they shoot Zero or not, right?  I mean, whether or not they prevented the apocalypse is questionable, but they have the power of friendship and determination (or w/e) to try and prevent it.  That left me thinking that they don't need another Nonary Game.  There was the one ending in which they were unable to prevent the outbreak, but that's the one that leads directly into VLR, right?  Akane starts building the AB game (and I guess runs into Sigma later) and they go from there.

The true ending to VLR was definitely, "Ok, now we just have to play this Nonary Game one more time to save the world!"  But that's not what I'm getting here.

Most of the endings were great, except there were two twists where I was like "WTF?!".  Maybe I need to rewatch those scenes, but it seemed like the Delta was just sitting right fucking there the whole time in one scene.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »
West of Loathing.

It's very funny.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 15, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
Okay Wii-wiik continues!

1. Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Yeah, yeah, I'm ashamed I didn't play this earlier too. Y'all know the drill. Very creative levels, good music, looks nice and colourful. There's a couple aspects I didn't love, the opening and closing cutscenes felt a bit out of place to me. Also sucks that it makes you go back to the old structure of entering a level 3 times to get separate stars, particularly annoying when you get sidetracked by feeding one of those stars to get a bonus star challenge and it boots you right back out. Lastly, the lives system is utterly pointless. Never game overed here either. Just ditch them already, but no they would keep 'em all the way up to 3D World.

But those few complaints aside, this is a great title of course. Some levels and bossfights seemed almost inspired by shoot-em-up games. Five stars, boom.

2. Rayman Origins (2011)

So for the first 3 world I was enjoying this... More than Galaxy? Presentation is top-notch with the drawn artstyle and really fun music. Blasting through the levels at high speeds, kicking enemies out of your way, the occassional side-scrolling shooter levels with the Moskito... This really feels like what the original Rayman (which I HATED) always should have been like. At its best moments, Rayman Origins feels like they're doing what Sonic never really managed in my eyes.

But of course they had to Rayman some parts of it.
-There's not really a story here, but... the final villain (nor his 'plan') ever get shown before the final level I don't think? At least in the original Rayman you saw a glimpse of the Magician in the opening cutscene, and the level select is viewed through his binoculars. Not a big complaint, but it feels a bit sloppy for a game which is otherwise polished to a mirror shine.
-It is utter bullshit they make you collect a required amount of Electoons before unlocking boss fights. Don't make a high-paced game if you're then gonna force me to do time trials and collecting doodads in early levels before letting me continue. Just bogs it down.
-The difficulty still skyrockets towards the end to an insane degree. Luckily here it's VERY much helped by pretty liberal checkpoint, the ABSENCE OF A LIVES SYSTEM and soothing music to calm your annoyance.
-In another asshole move the game will sometimes prompt you with "hey you're dying a lot, wanna go elsewhere"? Thinking this would be a mercy-rule level skip I happily accepted the first time. Nope, just takes you back to the level select. Screw that, it's basically just a "wanna quit?" taunt for people who suck.

Overall I would recommend it still, but maybe go for the sequel instead. Rayman Origins lures you in for a while, but gets devilishly difficult, a couple of levels basically require pixel-perfect runs. Four stars.

-Oh I forgot one more most minor of gripes. The credits on this are like 15 minutes long, it's like they listed every single person who works anywhere for Ubisoft. Not a big deal or anything but at some point I was beginning to wonder if all these people even know they're being credited.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:32:16 AM by Steefosaurus »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 15, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »

-Oh I forgot one more most minor of gripes. The credits on this are like 15 minutes long, it's like they listed every single person who works anywhere for Ubisoft. Not a big deal or anything but at some point I was beginning to wonder if all these people even know they're being credited.

Well, never play an Assassin's Creed game, then, because those credits are routinely over 30 minutes long. Hell, they even have checkpoints. So long as you can skip the credits, I don't care how long they are.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 15, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
If your credits are that long, then you really need to make it a mini game like Sakurai did in Smash.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
I've been sinking some serious time into Hand of Fate 2 for my review over on another site.

This game is pretty much the combination of everything I love and hate about card games and board games and the role-playing genre. It's methodical, it's stressful, it's high stakes, and its so damn fun. It might be one of the most unique combinations of mechanics I've seen in a video game in a long time, and the even more incredible thing is that the game has twenty-two unique chapters with vastly different twists on its core gameplay. That's just so cool.

I'll be tweeting out my review as I don't want to get railed for self-promotion, but this game is an extremely impressive independent title that has a substantial amount of content at half the price of most modern titles. Don't miss it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 16, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
I've been sinking some serious time into Hand of Fate 2 for my review over on another site.

This game is pretty much the combination of everything I love and hate about card games and board games and the role-playing genre. It's methodical, it's stressful, it's high stakes, and its so damn fun. It might be one of the most unique combinations of mechanics I've seen in a video game in a long time, and the even more incredible thing is that the game has twenty-two unique chapters with vastly different twists on its core gameplay. That's just so cool.

I'll be tweeting out my review as I don't want to get railed for self-promotion, but this game is an extremely impressive independent title that has a substantial amount of content at half the price of most modern titles. Don't miss it.
As I mentioned on the NFR Game of the Year 2018 show, I'm quite fond of Hand of Fate 2. If only the transitions between the board & the combat arenas wasn't so janky. That transition goes on for about 30 seconds in the PS4 version, and from what I've heard the Switch transitions are even longer.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 16, 2018, 06:25:27 PM »
Good things come to those who wait.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:58 AM »
Chris Bandic-nt 2: The Recootering Remastered (PC):

Okay, so I 100%-ed Crash 2, given that it was far more reasonable than the first game in this respect and I wanted to have the "full" experience of what is generally agreed to be the best game in the series. And boy, I don't know if I've ever encountered a lamer reward for doing so in a game. I thought there'd at least be a real final boss fight or something, but no, you're granted the privilege of pressing a button and watching a 30-second cut scene. Yeesh.

Anyway, this game is certainly an improvement over the first in some aspects. The cooter feels a bit snappier to control this time around and the slide move both alleviates the shittiness/ambiguity of the spin move/hit boxes and adds in a needed jump extender, even if it's stiffer and less consistent/fun than the obvious Donkey Kong Country roll inspiration. And there's nothing quite as miserable as the bridge levels from the first game.

On the other hand, they doubled down on the awful novelty levels with the boulder chase, animal riding, and jetpack segments, along with terrible "regular" gimmicks like the bee hives and ice floors. There overall seems to be a bit less focus on the more competent 2D level design in favor of the fundamentally flawed jumping-forward-through-corridors ethos. I will say that I kind of like the small-scale approach to bosses, though I don't think any of them match the weird cleverness of the fight against the weasel gangster in the office from the first game. And once in a while the game does hit a compelling stride, including in the 3D courses when it doesn't depend on precise depth perception from its cramped and low-set camera angle. I suppose I'd rate the first game a 5.5/10 and the second game a 6.5/10 to be charitable. Really, though, I think you should be laughed out of the room if you think these are on the same level as like Mario 64. I can see in the abstract perhaps preferring this approach to a 3D platformer (Mario 3D World for instance is sort of in the same vein), but the Crash implementation is pretty fundamentally flawed in various respects.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 17, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
Well, never play an Assassin's Creed game, then, because those credits are routinely over 30 minutes long. Hell, they even have checkpoints. So long as you can skip the credits, I don't care how long they are.

Haha yikes, I've still got Creed 4 on the docket for an indeterminate future date. I'm one of those "credits are part of the movie" idiots and I like reading fun names and job titles I've never heard of, so I don't tend to skip credits. But yeah this was pushing it.

If your credits are that long, then you really need to make it a mini game like Sakurai did in Smash.

There's a way to get the credits to be interactive, but it requires you to beat the "Land of the Livid Dead" final bonus level. Whichhhhh is crazy hard and not easily unlocked either. Just beating the game regularly will just let you jump and punch around on 2D plane in front of the credits, interacting with nothing. :(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:04:32 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 22, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »

Haha yikes, I've still got Creed 4 on the docket for an indeterminate future date. I'm one of those "credits are part of the movie" idiots and I like reading fun names and job titles I've never heard of, so I don't tend to skip credits. But yeah this was pushing it.

You should see mighty no. 9's credits.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #820 on: July 24, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Goodness, what a game. Game has a super heavy emphasis on battles - I mean, the game is titled Battle Chasers, after all. But if you're looking for a JRPG type of game to play that is crazy big on aesthetics and art style, then Battle Chasers is for you.

I loved every single bit of my 52 hour play-through. I found all of the ultimate weapons for my primary three party members and levelled them to max level. Using the Tolkas Arena is a great way to do just that.

I found the sound effects and music really well put together. When Gully lands a hit on an enemy, you really feel the hit - thanks in part to the HD rumble, of course. I loved the art style, and you can definitely tell artists who worked on the Darksiders series, worked on this game as well. Alumon could be straight out of Darksiders!

But yes, heavy emphasis on battling, and story sequences are played out through a series of comic still frames with small bits of animation thrown in here and there. Most of these take place before dungeon boss sequences – but there are points where they'll stop the gameplay to drop another to pad the story along. They're fun sequences, definitely. Great artwork.

Seriously, if you love JRPGs, then this game is for you.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 28, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »
You should see mighty no. 9's credits.

But that would require playing Mighty No. 9.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #822 on: July 31, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »
Axiom Verge

I was excited to finally play this one Switch.  I don't think I ever got it on Wii U, even though I really wanted to try it then.

This is really impressive to say it was made by one person.  I think I ended up backtracking a whole lot, trying to remember why I couldn't get past certain points, which felt cumbersome at times.  But once I was towards the end, it felt like the game sped up.  While it felt like Metroid, having the different ability sets made it feel more unique than familiar.  I didn't 100% the game, but still really enjoyed it.

Highly recommend.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Two more down off the Wii pile, who needs modern consoles?

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)

Because Rayman Origins proved a right bastard towards the end I decided to take on a more calming, easier platformer... Welp, wrong move. DKCR is pretty great, it can be played slow, exact and methodical or you can just barrel through at high speeds. Lots of colourful details in the environments and backgrounds, super catchy tunes, and the occassional teeth-gritting barrel rocket or minecart sequence.

I have to commend the Super Guide modes Nintendo had in a few Wii games, but the implementation is a bit half-baked. I'd prefer if you could take back over from the CPU at any moment since I used the super guide for a few levels which cost me 15+ lives in a single sequence. I think Mario 3D World did it better by making you invincible, but you still get to play, not just watch.

The final level can get bent, by the way. You lose Diddy after a single lost attempt against the final boss, before you even have a chance of learning his patterns. Want Diddy back for an effectively double life bar and useful hover jump? Tough ****, better replay the rocket barrel stage before it too then, 'cos we put a checkpoint at a point where you can't get Diddy again anymore. Typical Retro Studios bossfight bullshit haha.

DKCR is a good time mostly though, don't love the motion controls for the roll and blowing on flowers, it feels better suited to the groundpound only. I think I'll play Tropical Freeze soon, but I'm a bit platformed out for now.
Four stars.

2. Red Steel 2 (2010) a.k.a. door opening simulator

This one's more interesting to discuss, but a less successful game. Red Steel 2 is a pretty high quality production on Wii, I feel. Neat cell-shaded look, Wii Motion Plus is used to make a lot of different sword attacks possible, in addition to gunplay with the pointer, it's fully voice acted, and builds a pretty fun ninja-western world.

That said, you can really feel the game straining against the Wii hardware limits. I had several glitches locking me behind doors requiring reloading of a previous checkpoint (luckily they are everywhere), as well as it completely freezing the Wii. Most noticeable of all though, the environments are comprised of MANY smaller interlocking environments - Metroid Prime style.

Remember how the loading in Metroid Prime felt almost seamless from door to door? Yeahhhh not the case here. Almost every door will take a couple of seconds minimum, and since most of the environments are pretty sparse once you've cleared out the enemies, the gameplay loop quickly turns into moving between empty spaces, knocking down an ENDLESS supply of crates for money (hello carpal tunnel), and waiting for the next door to open.

Presentation is pretty good, the story is suitably cliché without turning into complete parody, a few of the later bossfights are genuinely challenging, the missions are just short enough to trigger your 'just one more' impulse. Overall, it's a pretty breezy experience to play through, but it also feels very shallow. I enjoyed my time with it, but will definitely forget all about it 5 years from now.
Three stars, barely.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 11, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »
Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Goodness, what a game. Game has a super heavy emphasis on battles - I mean, the game is titled Battle Chasers, after all. But if you're looking for a JRPG type of game to play that is crazy big on aesthetics and art style, then Battle Chasers is for you.

I loved every single bit of my 52 hour play-through. I found all of the ultimate weapons for my primary three party members and levelled them to max level. Using the Tolkas Arena is a great way to do just that.

I found the sound effects and music really well put together. When Gully lands a hit on an enemy, you really feel the hit - thanks in part to the HD rumble, of course. I loved the art style, and you can definitely tell artists who worked on the Darksiders series, worked on this game as well. Alumon could be straight out of Darksiders!

But yes, heavy emphasis on battling, and story sequences are played out through a series of comic still frames with small bits of animation thrown in here and there. Most of these take place before dungeon boss sequences – but there are points where they'll stop the gameplay to drop another to pad the story along. They're fun sequences, definitely. Great artwork.

Seriously, if you love JRPGs, then this game is for you.

I recently finished Battle Chasers myself, it was a great game. The Perk system was really important and I would often re-arrange mine to get the most out of my crew. My mine three settled down to Calibretto, Alumon, and Garisson. Who did you play as?