Author Topic: I'm conflicted by the Switch  (Read 2432 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
I'm conflicted by the Switch
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
I love the idea of the Switch, but as a home console it's too underpowered compared to PS4 and Xbox One (so it won't get any multiplatform games), and it's too expensive as a handheld. I'm conflicted as to what Nintendo hopes to achieve with this system. For the past decade, third party developers have avoided Nintendo systems because their games sell better on Xbox and PlayStation systems, and I don't think the situation will change unless Nintendo actively goes after those developers.

I get that Nintendo doesn't care about competing directly with Sony and MS, and that's fine, but public perception of them has soured lately and they need all the help they can get to win over gamers again.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: I'm conflicted by the Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »
Hey! Tendoboy! Welcome back, man!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
I love the idea of the Switch, but as a home console it's too underpowered compared to PS4 and Xbox One (so it won't get any multiplatform games), and it's too expensive as a handheld. I'm conflicted as to what Nintendo hopes to achieve with this system. For the past decade, third party developers have avoided Nintendo systems because their games sell better on Xbox and PlayStation systems, and I don't think the situation will change unless Nintendo actively goes after those developers.

I get that Nintendo doesn't care about competing directly with Sony and MS, and that's fine, but public perception of them has soured lately and they need all the help they can get to win over gamers again.

I completely agree with you regarding the price and the goal. I bolded a couple of things you said. The first one is completely unproven and is still just speculation. Considering the price, I think there's still a possibility that there is better hardware in the Switch than what Eurogamer reported. I also believe the rumor-dropping mouthpieces have updated their stories to reflect this possibility.

There's also a pretty solid reason why Nintendo is pricing this at $300 rather than $200. That reason is because they aren't showcasing this as a handheld. They view this as a portable home console. What's the difference, someone may ask? The types of games Nintendo is currently working on for it.

I wouldn't be so shocked as to sh*t a gold brick if Nintendo didn't put a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch. I'll just leave it at that for now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »
Don't really care about Western support, but I hope Japanese third parties will flock to the system. We'll see.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
Does THIS change your mind?

"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.