Author Topic: What's the FRIGGIN' hold up!?  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
What's the FRIGGIN' hold up!?
« on: December 27, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »
So...Xmas has come and gone and many anxious Nintendo fans and newfound Wii enthusiasts have gone Wiiless.

With significantly weaker hardware, many speculated that the Wii would be vastly more plentiful due to cheap and easy manufacturing.

I know the DSL demand caught Nintendo off guard, but I can't believe they're letting it happen yet AGAIN.

I'm still in the market for at least 2 more Wiis, and looking at the continuing post-Xmas prices on ebay, I don't think I'll be able to fill those orders before February at this rate.

So what's the hold up? Has anyone seen any news, rumors, info, etc. which would explain why there's such an insane Wii drought?  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: What's the FRIGGIN' hold up!?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »
because people like it?

On Christmas, I showed the Wii to my cousins, one of whom is a 15-year old idiot, who has known nothing but Sony consoles, and thinks everything else sucks or has bad graphics, and whatnot.  Now, he's using all the giftcards he got for Christmas to try and find one this week.

The more people see it, the more people want it.  The early adopters have shown it to people who wouldn't ordinarily want one, and they're all out there trying to get one, in addition to the people who have already tried and failed.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »
Well, it is just a few days after Christmas. I'm sure many stores are restocking every merchandise sold on Christmas and Christmas eve, Wiis included.

If Nintendo is planning on sending more shipments, I suspect they might send them at the end of the week or the first week of January.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »
From my retail perspective I'm already looking at a system that we probobly got about 100 or so into my store since launch. Meanwhile we got 6 PS3s TOTAL and around the same time last year we got about 30-40 360s.

I'd say they're pumpin them out but it was the holiday season and it was something like THE hot item. The onlt way it would be easy to get would be if it were selling poorly. Give it two or three months and I think you'll find that it'll be a lot easier to find. Even the 360 was getting easy to find by late winter.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »
Should have preordered.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE:What's the FRIGGIN' hold up!?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:18:07 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd Should have preordered.

Funny you mention that: I almost preordered an extra 1-2 Wiis but opted against it because I wasn't sure if I could get rid of them.

Hindsight...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: TrueNerd Should have preordered.

Funny you mention that: I almost preordered an extra 1-2 Wiis but opted against it because I wasn't sure if I could get rid of them.

Hindsight...

Also, even if we expected shortages we believed, and even Nintendo, that they would be able to supply them with no problem.

Even Nintendo underestimated the power of the Wii.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:32:26 AM »
Yeah, the thought of eBaying my Wii or purchasing additional Wii's to sell NEVER crossed my mind. Everyone was saying how bountiful they were going to be. Now they're fetching more (percentage wise) then PS3's on eBay. Go figure.

Oh well. I'm just happy I have one.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:40:31 AM »
Just because it's weaker hardware and older tech doesn't mean it's using old parts that were lying around from the previous generation.

It's still a new board design, new LOW-POWER chip design, tech that's new to controllers (controllers are a part of each unit, duh), and these all still have to be fabbed.  Old GameCube parts wouldn't even FIT the new form factor.

So what's the hold up?

Wii had a WOLDWIDE FREAKING LAUNCH.  This wasn't like GameCube's tiny 1million units between Japan and USA in 2001 (with NOTHING everywhere else for several months, not to mention slooooow restocks in the USA).

NORTH AMERICA - BOOM
JAPAN - BOOM
EURO/AUSTRALIA - BOOM

IT'S OUT IN ALL THE MAJOR TERRITORIES, WITHIN A 30 DAY LAUNCH WINDOW.  AND IT'S STILL IN DEMAND.

THAT IS UNHEARD OF.  GameCube was never fortunate to have so many willing customers in such a short time.

It's not "what's the hold up?", it's "DAMN, you people are NUTS for waiting in line all the time!"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 08:46:35 AM »
I've been making phonecalls to all the local stores daily and still wind up missing most of them when they arrive (which aren't usually many to start with).

Did we ever decide if the 4 mil estimate was a misquote or did they actually miss their shipping target?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 09:45:51 AM »
My wife got in line with me at the last minute at launch, and offered to buy a second one we could put on eBay.  I turned her down, because I didn't want to screw someone who was waiting in line all night by taking two after they counted out people.  Karma works.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline cbeer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »

Wii had a WOLDWIDE FREAKING LAUNCH.  This wasn't like GameCube's tiny 1million units between Japan and USA in 2001 (with NOTHING everywhere else for several months, not to mention slooooow restocks in the USA).

NORTH AMERICA - BOOM
JAPAN - BOOM
EURO/AUSTRALIA - BOOM

IT'S OUT IN ALL THE MAJOR TERRITORIES, WITHIN A 30 DAY LAUNCH WINDOW.  AND IT'S STILL IN DEMAND.

THAT IS UNHEARD OF.  GameCube was never fortunate to have so many willing customers in such a short time.

It's not "what's the hold up?", it's "DAMN, you people are NUTS for waiting in line all the time!"

No, it's why did we believe Nintendo when they said they'd have four million units worldwide, and two million in the US.  The shortages are ENTIRELY the result of Nintendo failing miserably to deliver on THEIR PROMISE.

It has nothing to do with people being crazy for the system.  It has barely outsold the GameCube in the US.  It has everything to do with Nintendo lying about how many would be available.  It's a purely artificial shortage.  THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SAID IT WOULD BE PLENTIFUL.  And it should be easy to manufacture, it doesn't have half the parts of a PS3 or 360.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
Again it was still a worldwide launch and I wouldn't be surprised if they have sold around 1 million in NA alone by January (only 400,000 more since launch). Where are you guys getting the 2 million number? I swear I'm seeing numbers fly around with nothing to back it up amongst all the whining and complaining. For those that say how easy the Wii is produce, any facts to back up your claim? Yes we know it has "outdated" graphics but it still is an extremely condensed system with new technology within it (as stated before). About target numbers and Nintendo lieing, I'm sorry but for a company to intentionally lie about availability is one of the stupidest things you can do not only financially but in regards to your stock.

Besides they are TARGET numbers and if you know anything about the business world you do miss your target numbers quite frequently for one reason or another. You guys really need to take a step back and realize that Nintendo has done something pretty amazing. It has not only done a truly worldwide launch but has done it with tons of success, so please lay off of them because North America is having shortages with a system that has been one of the hottest in recent years which can be shown through the amount of games being picked up with each system and the lack of systems on ebay in comparison to others like PS3.

P.S. How many GCs sold between launch and christmas?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »
"shortages are ENTIRELY the result of Nintendo failing miserably to deliver on THEIR PROMISE"

Are they dedicating 50% of their 2006 stock to the US?  Heck no, they won't botch their WORLDWIDE LAUNCH.

According to you, it's outsold the GameCube launch in the US (HEY THAT'S A LOT).  But not only that, it launched in freaking Euroland a couple weeks after the USA launch, not to be confused with SIX MONTHS.  I SEE WHERE THE OTHER UNITS WENT.

Since when was it a promise?  Since when was a shipping target a guarantee?  So what are people gonna do now since Nintendo borked their promise?  NOT BUY IT when they see it in stock?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
"shortages are ENTIRELY the result of Nintendo failing miserably to deliver on THEIR PROMISE"

Are they dedicating 50% of their 2006 stock to the US?  Heck no, they won't botch their WORLDWIDE LAUNCH.

According to you, it's outsold the GameCube launch in the US (HEY THAT'S A LOT).  But not only that, it launched in freaking Euroland a couple weeks after the USA launch, not to be confused with SIX MONTHS.  I SEE WHERE THE OTHER UNITS WENT.

Since when was it a promise?  Since when was a shipping target a guarantee?  So what are people gonna do now since Nintendo borked their promise?  NOT BUY IT when they see it in stock?

I think people really do forget how hard it is to launch a product worldwide, especially a game console. Really I wouldn't be surprised if many of those target Wii hardware numbers for NA weren't spread out a bit over other territories after seeing demand.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
I KNEW cbeer would rear his head and make his "Nintendo phailed to keep their promise!" bit :p

As for the thread, I think that even Nintendo underestimated the power of the Wii. I mean, they knew the system would be a hit, but they never expected people to be so quick to accept it and buy it in mass quantities. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't expect it to do great WORLDWIDE as well.

EVERYONE was caught off guard by the release of the Wii. And like I said earlier, give Nintendo TIME. Christmas just ENDED, SB. You seriously didn't expect Wiis to turn out after Christmas, did you?

I personally don't expect any new shipments till the end of the year or till after the first week of January. Holiday hype should've died down by then.

I say we should really worry if February or Spring rolls around and there are STILL no Wiis to be found. Then we need to smack Nintendo in the head because something is off.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 12:01:26 PM »
It's not surprising that the Wii sold out of its early run during the holiday season, anything less would be an absolute disaster.

Hopefully Nintendo will get supply to where it needs to be in short order. I'd hold off any complaints about their supply chain for a few more months. If it's Easter and Circuit City still can't even stock the controllers, let alone the console, then something major is wrong.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 12:36:37 PM »
Well... it's looking like Japan is on track to have gotten 1 million Wiis before the end of the year.

America launched earlier and is a bigger market, therefore it follows that America has more than a million units out in the wild by now. Europe launched with numbers a little lower than Japan and around the same time...

If you add that all up you come to realize that supply may actually not be the driving force of this supposed crisis... and that we'll need comprehensive 2006 data and the benefit of 20/20 hindsight to point any fingers with any validity.

So where should all that energy be channeled? There IS a debacle here, but the debacle is NOT in how many Wii units got pumped out... the question is WHAT'S THE FRIGGIN' HOLD UP WITH WIIMOTES AND NUNCHUCKS?!?!?! 485,000 WIIS AT LAUNCH BUT ONLY ~180k WIIMOTES AND NUNCHUCKS?!?!?! ARE YOU CRAZY NINTENDO?!?!?1 ARE YOU OFF YOUR ROYAL ROCKER??!?!?! DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO PLAY TOGETHER OR WHAT?!?!?! DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO PLAY AT ALL?!?!?!

...*ahem* ...

Goes back to playing with friends, and his 4 wiimotes and 4 nunchucks and 1 classic controller... and thinks warmly of his brother's 4 wiimotes and 4 nunchucks as well sitting relatively unused at home.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
Not only did it launch in Europe and Australia to make the first worldwide launch ever, it became the fastest selling system of all time in both regions, and its STILL sold out worldwide.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »
Well there's the fact that over 80% of people bought Zelda at launch so they haven't really had much of a reason to buy a second Wiimote yet.  Plus the best game on Wii Sports, Bowling can be played by alot of people with only one Wiimote so people just haven't had the need to go out and buy a second one yet.

My guess is when Mario Party 8 is released we'll see a huge increase in Wiimote sales since that will be the Wii's first Killer App Multiplayer game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 01:28:35 PM »
Just a few minutes ago I was at my local Target store (MADISON AVE, SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA).

Before my very eyes, THE STORE CLERK STOCKED (3) Wii UNITS BEHIND THE GLASS CASE.

PLENTIFUL-GET!

THESE SHORTAGES ARE COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED.  MORE LIKE THE COMPLAINERS HAVE TERRIBLE TIMING.

Then about FIVE minutes later someone came buy and bought one unit along with Zelda.  ZELDA-GET!

That means ONLY 2 UNITS WERE AVAILABLE BY THE TIME I LEFT THE STORE.

SHORTAGE-GET!

NINTENDOWHINEREPORT.COM THIS IS

PHAIL REPORT-GET!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
Wii is a FLOP!  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
Yeah with the Circuit City of with the demand for the Wii. If they are still having demand problems (as in too much demand) six months after the launch they will more than likely not have any trouble keeping the third parties around because of the user base.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »
 "Just a few minutes ago I was at my local Target store (MADISON AVE, SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA).

Before my very eyes, THE STORE CLERK STOCKED (3) Wii UNITS BEHIND THE GLASS CASE"

Duh, West coasters get an edge since its they're the closest to NOA home base. No need to gloat, I've seen countless other threads on the interweb where getting a wii is nigh impossible without figuring out where the planets align and crap...  Even NWR had their misadventures. The Wii-less are the clear majority.

I've been calling every big retailer the moment they open and most are clueless when they're getting their next shipment. The EB/Gamestop stores have been getting inconsistent shipments. One store had a shipment yesterday early afternoon. Sold out in 5 minutes What are we supposed to do, camp out near the stores, harrass every employee, store manager, all day?

I'm going to indulge my inner conspiracist and say that Nintendo wants this panic to happen. I remember getting the 'Cube 5 years to the day I'm typing this at a best buy in the evening. (For those who forgot, I'm in the metro-detroit area MI). In one of NWR's past podcasts, they point out that Nintendo probably doesn't any product sitting on the shelves/stockroom for a long time. And of course there's the global launch which in comparison Sony's or MS's, beats them both. But we're still feeling the sting

There's some hope...for Canadians and any metro-Detroiters( If you didn't' know, Detroit is one area where Canada is to the south of it. Anyone who's kicked it Windsor for gambling or drinking at the age of 19 knows what I'm talking about). Best Buy is holding some for this Friday, which is the best answer I've gotten in the past few days. Everyone else is simply saying either 'We don't know' or some vauge time like next week or 2nd week of January. I'm tempted to cross the border, even though customs/border patrol are pricks nowadays.

There's been a rough figure that they'll be 200k's worth of Wii's in the next 5 week in the U.S. Its a stretch but let's indulge that. 200,000 divided by 5 nets us 40k wii. For arguments sake, let's say they're equally distributed across 48 states (Apologies to anyone in Alaska or Hawaii or U.S territories). That's 4166.67 Wii's per state over a five week period. 4,000 wii's for 48 states. I really hope that 200k figure is wrong or this is going to be one hell of a hunt.

They're some rumblings around my area that many retailers are holding it for New Years Eve. Any word if this is a pattern?

I propose this: Any info, no matter how small that can aid us the Wii-less (short of buying it from Ebay scum) put it here. I put my bit. Anything else I get, I'll put it up later.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 07:12:43 PM »
DJ, man I feel your pain. I live in Calgary, and it's just madness here. Superstore is sold out and won't be getting any until next year. Zellers gets such few units that it's not even worth bothering. Walmart doesn't give any information, so whenever they get a (usually small) shipment, it gets snapped up within minutes by the people in the store. Toys R Us is the most inconsistent; once they told me that they would be getting some the next day. I showed up and the salesman there told me he hadn't heard of anything in regards to the Wii.

Although, once Toys R Us hoarded a few shipments, and announced to everyone who called that they would have at least 20 systems one Sunday. I called on Saturday night at 8, and they said that there were already 15 (FIFTEEN!!) people lined up. They would be waiting for 14 hours or so.

EBgames hasn't been too helpful either, which leaves us with Future Shop/Best Buy. Just a few days ago, both told me that they wouldn't be getting any more Wiis until 2007, and they sounded quite convincing. Then I saw that Best Buy online thing that Djunknown linked to - I'm definitely going to check that out.

I wholeheartedly second DJ; any morsels of information about availability will be greatly appreciated.

No, it's why did we believe Nintendo when they said they'd have four million units worldwide, and two million in the US. The shortages are ENTIRELY the result of Nintendo failing miserably to deliver on THEIR PROMISE.

It has nothing to do with people being crazy for the system. It has barely outsold the GameCube in the US. It has everything to do with Nintendo lying about how many would be available. It's a purely artificial shortage. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SAID IT WOULD BE PLENTIFUL. And it should be easy to manufacture, it doesn't have half the parts of a PS3 or 360
Thanks; I just had a good laugh. First off, Nintendo never said it would be plentiful. Weeks before the launch they said they expected shortages due to high demand. With the worldwide launch, they've sold over 3 million consoles. That's a damn good launch, and they'll easily make their 6 million target for the end of the fiscal year.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig