Author Topic: Should I buy a SD Card for my Wii?  (Read 5389 times)

Offline MedievalMan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Should I buy a SD Card for my Wii?
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:27:22 AM »
I haven't got my Wii, yet.  

Anyway, wondering if I should take advantage of the sales and buy a 1-4 GB SD card <$30 Cnd.

The browser looks interesting, so I might like to save some web stuff (can you do this?).

I doubt I'll buy much virtual console games -- I have them in one for or another already (though being able to use the Gamecube controller does sound fun for a few games.)

The Wii has a 512mB built in, right?

-Matt

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
RE:Should I buy a SD Card for my Wii?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:01:35 AM »
I've had my wii since Nov 19 and i still don't have an DS card for it.  I don't really think it's nessessary until there are more options for what to do with it.  If you don't have a ton of VC games then right now it's probably not nessessary.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:17:08 AM »
If you get Excite Truck, it should be a requirement.   That way you can use your own music.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: Should I buy a SD Card for my Wii?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:38:45 AM »
I bought two 1GB for $25 yesterday on sale. I probably won't use them right away (though I am itching to try the photo channel) but I figure soon enough I'll want them.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:09:16 AM »
1. SDs are only needed if you want to transfer large data files on/off your Wii, like mp3s or piles of photos, or savegames from friends.

2. The browser cannot save data to my knowledge.

Currently, SDs are the ONLY way to move save games from Wii to Wii that I know of but we should have USB support at some point.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:13:39 AM »
I see no point in SD cards until Nintendo allows you to store VC games on them. Currently, they do not.  

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
what happens when i have to many VCs games? im already running low on mem from saved games and vc and bowser and weather...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »

Originally posted by: therat
what happens when i have to many VCs games? im already running low on mem from saved games and vc and bowser and weather...

You have to delete it and buy the new game.  If you want to play it again you can redownload it for free.  At least, that is Nintendo's solution at the moment.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
Moving the Wii Internet Browser to my SD card made it unusable.  I had to move it back.  Unless you want to view photos or listen to MP3s in ExciteTruck, the SD card is pretty useless at this point.  Feel free to wait ... prices will only keep going down.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »
nothing beats the 1 gig at walmart during their blitz sale for 15 bucks, after tax
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:53:13 PM »
Like Artimus, I got a 2GB SD card on sale for $30 CDN for Boxing Day. I want to try out everything the Wii supports in regards to SD cards. Transfering game saves, custom soundtrack in Excite Truck, photo channel, using WiiVideo9 to convert (even though it's a maximum of 15 minutes) etc, etc.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 12:56:06 PM »
I've been able to move VC games onto my card, they take forever, and unfortunatley they dont show up on the main pages. Is SD format a little too slow to read the Virtual Console games? Or is it just me?
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 02:08:22 PM »
The SD card support as far as moving data to it completely sucks.  Here's the thing.  It is not a memory expansion as originally described by Nintendo.  It is a back-up feature.  You can copy both channels and game saves to it but they aren't used until they are copied back to the Wii.  All this is good for is bringing game saves to a friends house.  Even that is flawed though because the Wii cannot store more than 1 of one particular game save.  Therefore, if your friend has the same game you are screwed unless you do an elaborate copying process using either a computer or more than one SD card to move the saves around.

Moving VC channels is pretty worthless too, as you can't play them on a friends Wii and they can be redownloaded whenever you want anyway.  The short of it is that the SD support is completely worthless and I (and many others) are already approaching the Wii's internal capacity.  Not all game saves can be backed up on an SD card either.  Nintendo better make the SD slot a true memory expansion at some point or the VC will end up not being near as cool as it could be.  The best feature of it is how easy it is to 'pick up' and play any of the games.  If you have to start swapping files back and forth between plays the games won't get played near as much.

Nintendo better do something about it before I run out of space or I'm going to be writing quite a lenghty and pissed off editorial.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »
NeoThunder - $15 2GB cards at buy.com with free shipping easily beat that. Not sure if the sale is still going on though...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »
Also if you do get one. Get the 2GB card. I have a 4GB and the Wii is only able to read it, it cannot write to it as of yet.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »

The SD card support as far as moving data to it completely sucks. Here's the thing. It is not a memory expansion as originally described by Nintendo. It is a back-up feature. You can copy both channels and game saves to it but they aren't used until they are copied back to the Wii. All this is good for is bringing game saves to a friends house. Even that is flawed though because the Wii cannot store more than 1 of one particular game save. Therefore, if your friend has the same game you are screwed unless you do an elaborate copying process using either a computer or more than one SD card to move the saves around.
Putting the SD data onto a comptuer isn't hard at all, especially when you have a built in card reader. Also, it would just take some moving around if you wanted to download more VC games. You put the ones you aren't playing at the moment on your SD card, then delete them off the Wii. When you want to play those games, you just swap them with the ones you don't want to play. I mean, you honestly can't play 512 MB of old games at the same time.

It's serviceable until Nintendo fixes it..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 01:14:32 AM »
I don't like that to move VC games or channels onto the SD card you have to go into a different section of the Wii to move them, you can't move them from the same place where you move your games saves, even though they show up right there.

And of the couple of games I have played, the only one I found that can't be moved is Metal Slug Anthology, which doesn't make sense.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline rutledgek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 04:56:39 AM »
Now correct me if I am wrong, but when you move the VC games at the game save you are moving the saved data for the game.  So if you were to redownload the vc game after you delete the channel. The game saves would still be there.  Can these saves be transferred if someone you know has the game purchased already?
Wii Code: - 4191 2684 4473 7202

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 05:18:46 AM »
What are you filling your half a gig up with Pale?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 05:24:21 AM »
BRING ON THE EDITORIAL, PALE

THIS IS NINTENDOPHAILREPORT

WE MUST REPORT NINTENDO PHAIL
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 06:02:47 AM »
Yep.  I'm hoping that the Wii will soon have the features we were promised soon.  The full Browser, News Channel, and the SD Card being able to use like a Memory card not just a backup.  Also Nintendo keeps swearing that you will be able to combine the VC games to like a Genesis channel or an SNES channel.  I'm still waiting for those.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.