Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010  (Read 213799 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's Project Natal
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

Rare: Natal can create any experience[/url]
After working with the motion control system for the best part of a year, the head of design at Rare has described Natal as a "massive ocean of possibilities"

George Andreas spoke to games™ during the magazine's exclusive trip to the Rare's studio in Twycross. Discussing the advantages of working with Natal over traditional game controllers, the developer said: “When you work on a conventional controller you reach the limitations of that very, very quickly. From a design perspective you know what it does, you know what the buttons do, and you know how you’re going to interact with the software."

"The thing that I’ve personally seen over the last nine or ten months working closely with Natal is that boundary just isn’t anywhere in sight yet. It’s a massive ocean of possibilities and it really is going to open up the mind. At the moment we haven’t got anywhere near the limitations of what that hardware will be able to bring to entertainment in the future.”
“It's a massive ocean of possibilities and it really is going to open up the mind”

With a special edition of Resident Evil 5 due to debut for Sony's motion controller, there's been plenty of speculation over the game genres best suited to the technology - Andreas believes any associations are just in the mind however: “With a great development team you should be able to create any game experience with Natal,” he adds.

I say either Rare has some PHENOMENAL software coming up for Natal or they are politely asking us to spread out butt cheeks so that they can blow some smoke up our asses.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
It's still impossible for 2 players to play 1-on-1 tennis together on that thing, correct?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
It's still impossible for 2 players to play 1-on-1 tennis together on that thing, correct?

Maybe, but I know it's impossible to do do 4 player doubles match.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »

Maybe, but I know it's impossible to do do 4 player doubles match.

They'll sell a rubber pancho where two players can hide their spare arms behind so its not picked up by natal and play 4 players that way.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
I say either Rare has some PHENOMENAL software coming up for Natal or they are politely asking us to spread out butt cheeks so that they can blow some smoke up our asses.

Don't keep em spread too long cause Microsoft smokes about 10 packs a day.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2009, 11:51:13 PM »
Microsoft Sees 'Natal' as Your Next TV Remote

It's entirely possible, and reasonable, that the controllerless Project Natal technology Microsoft is developing will replace a remote control on Xbox 360-powered TVs, Marc Whitten, the general manager responsible for Microsoft's Xbox Live service, told attendees at the Streaming Media West show.

Whitten highlighted four areas – content, community, curation, and control – governing the evolution of the television and video content.

"I don't believe we are currently in the golden age of the television or the golden age of the game console or the golden age of the Internet; frankly, five years from now I don't know that you'll be able to tell the difference between those worlds," Whitten said.

Not surprisingly, Whitten used his talk to highlight recent additions to the Xbox 360 platform. With Netflix running on top of Xbox Live, consumers and gamers alike have access to hundreds of thousands of movies. Whitten called the shift between the Xbox 360 as a gaming platform and its evolution to a video platform as the "biggest surprise" of his job.
[...]
"The context is not 1 billion channels, but one," Whitten said. "One channel, with what I want, when I want it."

And as Microsoft and its partners become more sophisticated about trying to determine what content users will be interested in, the methods of controlling or providing input to that content will become more sophisticated.

"With the flick of my wrist I can change a channel," Whitten said. "With the power of my voice I can start a movie."

Watching a movie is a passive input, but a TV should understand what you're trying to do, Whitten added. "Laughter is an input," he said. "Yelling at the TV when I know an answer on 'Jeopardy' is an input. Attention is an input. The number of people in the room at one time is an input."

Microsoft's goal is to make it easy and simple to find the content consumers want, and to share it with friends, Whitten said, and to enable experiences they care about. "It won't be a remote control" that consumers use," Whitten said. "A remote control is already too hard."

Instead, Whitten said he envisions a future where Natal recognizes the users in the room, and their voices as well. Knowing the identity of the users will coalesce the content they're interested in, and allow one of multiple users to control the interface. (In one recorded demonstration, Natal picked up on a user's voice to control a game.)

"I believe that this will be the largest leap of TV experience since the remote control," Whitten said of Natal.

This probably explains why all those people were leaving Rare, they ain't workin on games no more. They are focusing outside of games and what they are working on might turn out to be a pretty cool gimmick 5-10 years in the future.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2009, 01:07:22 AM »
What an absolute shame to hear about Rare. They suffered quality output during the last gen (and PD Zero was stupid as hell), but their last few games (keyword: few) had the charm and quality.

Pity.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15:41 AM »
this might be more reason to leave Rare, but atleast they may be working on a game.

Natal Instinct 3? Lets hope not.....

Now, it seems that Killer Instinct may well be coming back – but not in the way you might expect.

In the new issue of Games TM, an excellent Rare studio feature contains a box out on the Killer Instinct franchise, in which Mark Betteridge reaffirms that Killer Instinct is an IP “near and dear to us”.

The real eyebrow raiser comes as he goes on to say: “It’s about timing, and it’s about the opportunity creatively and gameplay-wise that it would offer. Street Fighter IV looked great and they’ve done a great job, and I’m a big fan of those products, but with KI we want to do something different rather than go back into that arena.”

And then the money shot: “I think it’s about doing something different than with a conventional controller.”

George Andreas, head of design at Rare, also says that the challenge will be about making KI for “the masses”, and the magazine itself goes on to conclude: “Unfortunately, fans will have to wait until Natal hits the market before they discover if that question is to remain unanswered.”

Killer Instinct 3? We hope so. For Natal? Hmmm…

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »
That would be retarded. KI's main strength is that it is *NOT* a game for the masses.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
Would any of Rare's non-Nintendo games work with Natal?

Offline N-World

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2009, 01:15:54 AM »
The only one I can think of is Battletoads.  Imagine throwing live punches and kicks to beat up enemies.

Banjo-Kazooie would probably not work, unless you wanted to squat over and pretend you're shooting eggs from your rear.
Third parties haven't really given the Wii a fair shake. - Dequello

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
That would be absolutely hilarious.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:12 PM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day could work....well if you don't mind pissing on your floor.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »

"It won't be a remote control" that consumers use," Whitten said. "A remote control is already too hard."

A remote is too hard?  Even Nintendo at their most patronizing "everyone-is-too-stupid-to-do-anything" worst isn't that bad.  Is that just meant to be a shot at the Wii?  Is this the new marketing tactic - accusing your competition of offering a solution that is too complicated and just generally treating everyone like an idiot?  "OUR controller is the most dumbed down for your simpleton mind to understand... er I mean... Natal game good!"

Sad that Rare might want to make Killer Instinct 3 for the Sega Activator.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
This arrogance is similar to Sony's arrogance when they entered into this generation and they basically said their fans were morons and would buy the system no matter what the price was. Well, they were wrong, now weren't they?

Similarly, MS is showing this arrogance now, but what happens when this product flops?
is your sanity...

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »
Man, is it jut me or does it seem that the two High-End consoles attract a lot of arrogance from both developers and fans?
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
Their arrogance gets the backlash called "employee layoffs" and "bankrupty" from "high end HD project".

Fans, on the other hand, do not suffer any sort of backlash.

A remote is too hard?
80% of third excuse makers cannot grasp the concept in their tiny little brains after it's been on the market for THREE YEARS. This type of failure is not humorous, it's facepalm-worthy.

Even Nintendo at their most patronizing "everyone-is-too-stupid-to-do-anything" worst isn't that bad.
I think Nintendo has embraced the fact that their "hardcorez" audience is all talk and nothing else. At least, I hope so...  :(

Is that just meant to be a shot at the Wii?  Is this the new marketing tactic - accusing your competition of offering a solution that is too complicated and just generally treating everyone like an idiot?
This type of PR assery has been around long before Highly Dramatic trolling. Sega did it during the SNES generation and created the famous "We can do what Nintendon't".

Similarly, MS is showing this arrogance now, but what happens when this product flops?
Internet memes are a go!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
memes huh?

can't wait to see people roundhouse kicking their HD tv's!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »
The glory of Highly Dramatic stupidity.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
i can just picture the "news article now"

It was another ordinay christmas for the Stupidson family; relatives were over for dinner, kids were giddy to open their presents underneath the brightly decorated christmas tree, that is until someone wound up in the hospital.

Peter Stupidson, father of two children and husband to Mary Stupidson was admited to Pwnageville Hospital this past holiday when he suffered a severe electric shock from kicking in his new High Definition television set, which was actually a gift from his wife Mary. Ironically it was the gifts they bought for their two sons together that was at fault for this incident.

Billy and Bobby Stupidson, both A average students in school, had very short christmas list this year; one wanted the Killer Instinct 3 video game and the other, the new Natal motion sensing video game system from Nintendo, so they could share the two when playing their Microsoft Xbox.

"My kids are always well behaved, and they get straight A's in school all the time so me and [my husband] knew we had no choice but to get them what they wanted for christmas this year" said Mary Stupidson. "It did make shopping a lot easier.. and it was more an incentive to convince my wife to get me that HD tv i've always wanted" adds Peter. The family told HBC news that everything was that of a normal christmas day in their househould, after having such a big dinner Billy and Bobby convinced their parents to play their latest high tech game with them, using the ploy that it'd help them burn off the calories.

"I knew the game needed me to be physical in order to play" says Peter, "but i had no idea it was so physically demanding! I was amazed at how as i threw punches, the man on tv would throw them too. I got a little carried away i guess..." Peter did get carried away, in an ambulance on his way to the ER when he accidentaly kicked his new television set, causing it to fall off the wall mount and pin him to the floor while also electrocuting him.

The Stupidson family is hoping for a speedy recovery, so that dad can be home in time for new years. When asked if they'd go for another round of 'Killer Instinct 3' video game, Mary had this to say; "No thanks, Peter and I will go back to playing our kids Nintendo Playstation 3; the most we get from that are sore thumbs or cramped hands"

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
The sad fact is this is what normal news media outlets would write.

We are getting pretty good at making mock news stories. I think we've already mastered IGN game reviews though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
i'm glad you read it, i took too long trying to get it sound JUST right.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »
It sounds legit and that makes it all the funnier.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »
i'm glad you read it, i took too long trying to get it sound JUST right.
I can understand that. I tried to attempt to make a mock IGN review, but I don't think my brain can drop so many IQ points in order to make something like that.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
Why is it that most "Hardcore" gaming review sites are Xbox Fanboys, and most News outlets are moronic and couldn't tell the difference between a NES and a N64 *Cough*FOX*Cough*?
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen