Author Topic: Elebits  (Read 37082 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Elebits
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »
Just played the first level and watched the game's E3 trailer that shows after the title screen.

Dude... ALL Launch games should be like this. I CANNOT believe I was gonna skip out on buying this.

I CANNOT BELIEVE!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2006, 12:21:13 AM »
these reviews seem to be pretty consistant, and thats always good. I guess my intrest in the game can go with a purchase once the price drops.

How are the bosses in the game intresting? or are they just rare elebits, and you catch them once you find them?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Elebits
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2006, 01:04:45 AM »
Thus far I have only played 1 boss battle and it was pretty interesting. There is literally a whole mission dedicated to the boss and the whole concept of the boss is a nice relief from the standard Elebit catching.

Another thing I wanted to add in general is the inclusion of challenge mode stages. I was under the impression that these were the same as the normal mission just harder. As it turns out each challenge mode mission is a new mission entirely that usually has you doing something in as little time as possible. Another great addition to the game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2006, 02:03:44 AM »
Between this forum and IGNs forum, I've pretty much decided I'm getting this game as soon as I can.  It'll probably be Christmas, but hey, that's close enough.  Too many good things about it to not get excited.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
Godly. I've bought my copy (always had high hopes for this game) but I won't get to play it untill Friday. Oi.

As an aside, I love the cover.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »
There's one huge downfall to this game and that's the timer. Basically, when you enter a new level, you can have around a 15-20 minute time limit in which to capture enough elebits.

The problem is, the levels are tiered so that unlocking additional elebits is a somewhat linear progression, and if you don't figure out how that line works (which is nigh-impossible the first time through), you're going to find yourself retrying the level at least 2-3 times in order to get it right.

When a level can take 15 minutes, that means you'll often wind up spending 45 minutes on a single level while attempting to beat it and the repetition is NOT enjoyable.

I've said it before, they should have simply made the timer count UP instead of down and given you a better grade if you finished quicker but if you wanted to take your time through the level, you could.

Cap is going to see if he can hunt down a fully unlocked save game so we can play the levels without worrying about time running out.

It's basically a polar opposite of what you'd expect: Konami gives you a game where it's immensely fun to just mess around but they give every level a timer which forces you to play as quickly as possible.

For that reason alone, this game deserved the 7 most places are giving it. Funny that the issue is not with the Wii controls at all but with a poor gameplay design decision...  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2006, 03:09:28 PM »
I like the timer and I think it is very important.  There is a reason you will see all games like this have a timer (Katamari comes to mind and for some reason I want to include Crazy Taxi too.  It could lose the timer and just give you a ranking but it takes all the fun out because there is no urgency.)  Without the timer there would be absolutely no challenge, no urgency, and it would most likely get boring fast.

It makes levels interesting because it forces the player to be quick yet still follow the rules necessary for the level.  When you only have 6 minutes and can only break 12 things it makes you think whether you want to take the time to be careful or if you can afford to smash those plates.  You also have to remember where key items are for future reference when you can finally activate them.  Do you want save time and mess the room up to grab those elebits and risk losing time searching for the microwave you just tossed, or be neat and know exactly where the microwave is?  Having a time limit makes you become a better player to continue, like all good games.

It is not like the eternal mode isn't available anyway.  If you want a sandbox to mess around with it is there.  This games has got it all. I guess you want everything right away and don't like unlocking things though.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2006, 03:33:09 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel It makes levels interesting because it forces the player to be quick yet still follow the rules necessary for the level.  When you only have 6 minutes and can only break 12 things it makes you think whether you want to take the time to be careful or if you can afford to smash those plates.  You also have to remember where key items are for future reference when you can finally activate them.  Do you want save time and mess the room up to grab those elebits and risk losing time searching for the microwave you just tossed, or be neat and know exactly where the microwave is?  Having a time limit makes you become a better player to continue, like all good games.

Problem is, after the 3rd time redoing a level because I didn't know where the hairdryer was the first time and the cordless drill the second time, I'm wishing I had rented the game instead of buying it.

Urgency can be optional in a game like this: finish in under x minutes, get a good rating and unlock something, hence optional urgency

Like I said, I'm just going to use a completed save file to unlock everything, then probably sell the game back before it depreciates. I don't have an issue with unlocking things, I just have an issue with enduring boredom in order to do so.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »
I assume you hate any kind of game that throws a timer at you.  Thats okay, some people don't and this is not the game for them.  This game once again follows the tested gameplay of Katamari though.  Urgency is important to the core of the game they want to give you.  If they wanted an open sandbox (which is the part you are most interested in it seems) that is what they would have offered immediately.  The game is how they want you to interact with the world.

Most people now tend to shy away from games where the object is simply to get a high score like you are suggesting.  They want to accomplish something that actually tests there abilities before they can advance to the next level.  When I beat a game I want to actually feel like I accomplished something.  I beat it, defeated it, I don't want to have to replay everything to feel any sort of accomplishment.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »
So what is your problem with the game exactly, SB? The timer that forces you to rush through the game instead of taking your time playing it your way or that the game becomes repetitive and tedious when you fail levels? Or is it a mix of the two?

Sixth, I think SB doesn't mind urgency and timed challenges in a game (unless I am mistaken, SB). His problem with Elebits, from what I understand, is that the game forces you to rush through the level when at the same time it invites you to explore and mess around with it. Its kinda like when you go to a massive theme park and you only have like 30 minutes to explore it and enjoy the rides.

But this is just my interpretation of SB's opinions.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Its kinda like when you go to a massive theme park and you only have like 30 minutes to explore it and enjoy the rides.

Except that after the thirty minutes you get to explore and ride as much as you like (eternal mode). I will agree that I'm not a huge fan of timers myself, but since you can unlock a mode that nulls it, I don't see much of an issue to be had in that alone.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2006, 05:06:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: pap64
Its kinda like when you go to a massive theme park and you only have like 30 minutes to explore it and enjoy the rides.

Except that after the thirty minutes you get to explore and ride as much as you like (eternal mode). I will agree that I'm not a huge fan of timers myself, but since you can unlock a mode that nulls it, I don't see much of an issue to be had in that alone.

Yeah, but you have to spend a lot of time and even a lot of cash before you get the lifetime pass to the park.

I think SB's issue is that he has to grind through the timed levels in order to get the infinite mode.

But again, I don't exactly know what SB's issue with the game is since I haven't played it myself nor I quite understand what he means.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2006, 05:45:26 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64 Sixth, I think SB doesn't mind urgency and timed challenges in a game (unless I am mistaken, SB). His problem with Elebits, from what I understand, is that the game forces you to rush through the level when at the same time it invites you to explore and mess around with it.

That, and after scrambling through a level for 15 minutes only to be 50 watts short, you'll find your enthusiasm for the game rapidly diminishing, and Rob felt the same way (as he said in the next Medacast).

Elebits doesn't seem to want for a longer story mode so I'm scratching my head as to why they made failure almost certain on most of the levels for your first play through when you don't know where to look for all of the appliances.

That's not entirely true: you need to find all three pink Elebits in a level and then complete it (I'm assuming you must complete the level after finding the pink elebits in order to unlock eternal mode), which makes for yet MORE play throughs of the SAME levels.

Now, the gameplay can be fun and enjoyable, yes, but after playing the same level three times through, I want nothing more to do with it. In fact, I generally stop playing Elebits.

Elebits is a fun and inventive game, but the timers for the levels takes fun and turns it into work by forcing you to do it at an undesired pace. Like I said, if the timer counted up instead of down, it would have been fine.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2006, 06:27:09 PM »
Half of me wants to get this game just to trade created levels back and forth. My creativity with Miis only goes so far. BTW, is there a "I own Elebits and wish to exchange levels" thread?

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »
Despite the complaints above, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I read a few complaints about the timer, but the frantic nature of the game forces you to find new ways of doing things and being more creative, which I think is the true genious of this game.

I perhaps will start a "I own elebits, let's trade levels" thread tomorrow.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2006, 11:15:56 PM »
I think SB's complaints are valid. Everyone likes playing games a different way and the way SB describes it, it accomodates both styles. With a counter going up, it is impossible to fail your first time which is probably a good thing. From that point, you can play the level again in an attempt to beat it as quickly as possible (this brings the urgency SixthAngel describes). This allows for someone like SB to play through every mission is a way that he can enjoy and it allows everyone else to play through as many times as they like to get the higher score.

Personally, I don't mind the timer. I like the sandbox mode, but that usually becomes boring for me because there is no objective. Whenever there are records that can be broken I find myself coming back for more to break those records (probably why I have been playing Excite Truck nonstop). If you don't mind timers or playing through levels multiple times, this issue SB describes probably won't affect you, but if you share the views of SB, you might want to sit this one out for a while and rent it when you acquire a full save game.

As far as the trade levels thing goes, we totally need to get that going.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Sabe002

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2006, 01:28:47 AM »
This game reminds me a bit of Pikmin. At first I did not like the timer (it didn't stop me from playing either), but I started to enjoy it once I got used to it. I will have to get this game. I grew up on River Raid and Pac Man on the 2600. Of course there were no game saves, so the thrill was a high score or making it to the Hamburg level in Super Pac Man. So I take it the Eternal mode lets you explore each level? Are there still elebits and things to find?
Thanks!
Help a sister out!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2006, 01:37:15 AM »
I have played through the first 7 levels of the game and defeated the first boss.  The game is indeed very fun...but it requires short doses of play, at least for me, the reason being is that although the game play is engaging and fun, it is literally the same thing over and over and over.  Without the timer there would be zero challenge or zero point to the game.

But I never had a problem not passing a level.  Just pretty much go crazy and search for the appliances you turn on once you get the notice and you are ok.  Most of the time I have beaten each level with minutes left on the timer.  Now, what is confusing and difficult is finding the right objects to place into some of the puzzles.  What am I supposed to put in the Microwave?  And manipulating the objects that carefully is difficult.  

Overall, the game is fun and that is important.  But there are flaws in the game...one being the repetitious design of the game.  But, the game does get difficult, but by artificial means of forcing you not to break stuff (The most enjoyable part of the game) and not making too much noise (also taking away from the enjoyable part.)

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
I think SB's complaints are valid. Everyone likes playing games a different way and the way SB describes it, it accomodates both styles. With a counter going up, it is impossible to fail your first time which is probably a good thing. From that point, you can play the level again in an attempt to beat it as quickly as possible (this brings the urgency SixthAngel describes). This allows for someone like SB to play through every mission is a way that he can enjoy and it allows everyone else to play through as many times as they like to get the higher score.

Personally, I don't mind the timer. I like the sandbox mode, but that usually becomes boring for me because there is no objective. Whenever there are records that can be broken I find myself coming back for more to break those records (probably why I have been playing Excite Truck nonstop). If you don't mind timers or playing through levels multiple times, this issue SB describes probably won't affect you, but if you share the views of SB, you might want to sit this one out for a while and rent it when you acquire a full save game.

As far as the trade levels thing goes, we totally need to get that going.

In other words, this is clearly a preference issue  in which some will not mind it while to others it will be a game breaking element.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »
Personally I like getting through the challenge that the game provides.  A count up timer wouldn't do it for me.  I'll have to play the game but from my experience I tend to say I'm going to go back and get a better score but it's a lot less interesting without that edge par say.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2006, 06:12:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack Personally, I don't mind the timer. I like the sandbox mode, but that usually becomes boring for me because there is no objective. Whenever there are records that can be broken I find myself coming back for more to break those records (probably why I have been playing Excite Truck nonstop). If you don't mind timers or playing through levels multiple times, this issue SB describes probably won't affect you, but if you share the views of SB, you might want to sit this one out for a while and rent it when you acquire a full save game.

It's also an issue of time. I don't have as much time for gaming these days so failing an Elebits level repeatedly ranks pretty low on my list of priorities.

Excite Truck is a fun game to watch as well as to play, but Elebits (at least in single player) just doesn't entertain a crowd. In my current living conditions, there's seldom a time when only one person can be using the TV.

Combine that with the fact that story mode levels must typically be repeated and you can see why it's not exactly an ideal game for me. It's not fun to watch someone play through a level the first time, let alone the 2nd and possibly 3rd times.

With so many other awesome games like Excite Truck and Super Swing Golf which entertain far more via watching and playing, Elebits likely won't get enough play time to warrant a purchase which again makes me wish I had just rented it instead...  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »
Smash_Bro, I'll give you $20 for it

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2006, 09:42:25 AM »
You'd have to give me at least $25 because that's what Gamestop will give me for it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2006, 09:57:35 AM »
I think that having the timer would be fine if it were like 3 minutes in a stage.  But I understand being frustrated when you spend 15 minutes exploring and experimenting, only to come up short.  I wish the mode without the timer had some kind of goal too.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers