Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals More Wii Details  (Read 11710 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Nintendo Reveals More Wii Details
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:03:40 AM »
Pokémon for Wii and info on Virtual Console pricing revealed.

At a management direction meeting held today, Nintendo unveiled some new information about the DS and Wii.    

First off, the Opera Browser for DS has been delayed a month until July. They also talked more about the "Touch Generations" line and how the company is stressing a balance between traditional games and "non-games." Finally, they revealed that Pokémon Diamond/Pearl for the Nintendo DS will feature voice-chat over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.    

They then went on to elaborate more on their new console, Wii. Nintendo plans to ship 4 million systems by the end of the calendar year. Exactly when the Wii will launch is still a mystery, but Iwata promised that a date will be announced "before September."    

A new game, Pokémon Battle Revolution, will be available for Wii and is releasing a few months after Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and the two games will interact much like prior Pokémon games linked up with Pokémon Stadium.    

Other features involving the DS-Wii connectivity include the ability to use the DS as a touch-screen control for Wii games and the Wii acting as a DS download station for game demos. Iwata also said that DS games could be "expanded" via Wii.    

Regarding the virtual console, Iwata said that games, including new ones, will be made available for the VC at prices between Â¥500 and Â¥1000 ($4 and $9).    

Nintendo also offered some sales figures, including the tie ratios of some of their more popular DS games in Japan. 32% of DS users bought Animal Crossing: Wild World, 23% bought Mario Kart, 14% bought Tetris DS, and 20% bought New Super Mario Bros., In addition, ten titles have shipped over 1 million units.    

Thanks to Jonnyram of the NeoGAF Forums for the translation!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals More Wii Details
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »
$4-$9 in Japan for VC games. I bet it will be cheaper in the US  

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals More Wii Details
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:49:05 AM »
It better be cheaper in the US.  People aren't going to pay $4 for an NES game.  I certainly don't want to, especially when you can get similiar games for only $1 or even free nowadays.  Plus many have the roms already and $4 is something they will not pay, but at $1-2 they might be willing to buy.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:50:36 AM »

$4-$9 in Japan for VC games. I bet it will be cheaper in the US

You think?  Precedent leads me to believe it will be $5-$10 in the U.S., and offer my condolences to our European friends.  It puts a lower cap on prices than I feared, at least, though I was hoping for a lower floor.  It's probably for the best, anyway, since at $1 my capacity for reason would have left me and I would have bought nearly everything that caught my eye.  At $5 I'd actually weigh the decision.  

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 07:04:37 AM »
Considering prices are usually a little higher in Japan, I'm gonna guess that VC games in the U.S. will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-$5, which is pretty reasonable, I think.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:06:32 AM »
Have you guys seen the shot of Pokemon Wii? I'm no Pokemon fan, but the graphics look really smooth.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 07:07:49 AM »
Gamasutra also reports on this event, and reported Nintendo giving some hints to how little the Wii would earn them initially. I have a thread about it here: Wii Forum Thread.

Now, back to what PGC reported...

. Nintendo plans to ship 4 million systems by the end of the calendar year.

Did he say CALENDAR?!?!? O.O

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline obscureownership

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:09:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Louieturkey
It better be cheaper in the US.  People aren't going to pay $4 for an NES game.  I certainly don't want to, especially when you can get similiar games for only $1 or even free nowadays.  Plus many have the roms already and $4 is something they will not pay, but at $1-2 they might be willing to buy.

People paid a lot more than $4 for direct ports of NES games on the GBA. Yes, lots of people will pay $4 for a NES game.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:22:41 AM »
But that's a portable version.

In my eyes, the original Mario is worth $20 if it's portable. However, we are talking about the Wii -- a console within someone's home. Plus, I don't think people in the US are as nostalgic as Japan.

Hopefully Reggie will step in and tell them what's up.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:32:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
But that's a portable version.

In my eyes, the original Mario is worth $20 if it's portable. However, we are talking about the Wii -- a console within someone's home. Plus, I don't think people in the US are as nostalgic as Japan.

Hopefully Reggie will step in and tell them what's up.

That's my point. Four dollars is not that much, it's not a lot compared to $20, so if it's a good game that's hard to find, or just a good game that I don't have, I'm willing to shell out $4 for it. Sure, I could have a NES and try to mess with the shotty slot loading mechanism, have a GBA and pay $20 each, or peak around every dark corner on the internet looking for the roms. Or, I could just have a Wii and pay $4 each for those games, which to me, having easy access to them working properly, is worth it.  
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »
If NES games were $1, I'd consider spending approximately $700 for every NES game even if I never play them all.  Seriously.  But that's assuming that the structure is download-friendly, of course.

But at $4...well, I suppose I could spend as much on just the GOOD games.  Naming 200 good NES games might be kind of tough, actually, but I could probably name at least a few dozen for sure.

Nice to kinda-almost-know that if N64 games fall into this range, we won't have to break the bank for them.  Too bad about Rareware, though, that kinda hurts the N64 library.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »
http://www.irwebcasting.com/060607/03/74d18b0400/main/index_hi.htm
Go to slide 70 and then press the third button under the slide to see Pokemon in action.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »
Well we're still getting Pokemon Stadium games instead of a real Pokemon console game.  I guess I should stop hoping for one.  At least they still make good portable Pokemon games.  Still there's such potential and it bothers me that they've had the ultimate killer app right in front of their face for like ten years now.  I swear that such a game released on the Cube could have totally changed the outcome of the last gen.

$4 is okay for SOME NES games.  Something like Zelda or Super Mario Bros 3 or Final Fantasy is worth $4.  Dragon Warrior IV is a bargain at even $9.  Translated Japan-only games would be worth that price range too.  But there are a lot of NES games that are decent and worth a play but aren't worth $4.  They're not classics but they're not duds either and for $1 are worth downloading and goofing around in.  With a price of $4 people are going to consider their purchases more carefully.  I think for only a buck people would download any old game just to try it out.

However for SNES and N64 games $4 to $9 is perfectly acceptable.  For N64 games that a great price.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:00:38 AM »
whoa, the pokemon game really does look sweet....

unless it's prerendered, but that's not nintendo's style, so I doubt it
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Well we're still getting Pokemon Stadium games instead of a real Pokemon console game.  I guess I should stop hoping for one.  At least they still make good portable Pokemon games.  Still there's such potential and it bothers me that they've had the ultimate killer app right in front of their face for like ten years now.  I swear that such a game released on the Cube could have totally changed the outcome of the last gen.

Look, I'm as much of a Pokemon Fanboi as the next guy, but why can no one else see how limited and stagnant the formula has become since Red and Blue?!?! Nintendo needs to sic Miyamoto or some other game design genius on the Pokemon franchise if it's going to grow anything beyond the same tired formula it's been using since 1998.

Pokemon is stagnant, let's face it.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 08:31:12 AM »
Athrun Zala, the video looked like real time play

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 08:43:01 AM »
I think some of you pointed out why $4 dollars is a good price point.  Actually let me start by saying that $9 top end.  Rock On!  I was expecting the rare and must haves to still be like $20.  So that's great.  It's bargain bin great.  Now to the $4.  As mentioned before if they were just a dollar everyone here would download till there paychecks were gone.  At $4 you'll have to think about it.  Nintendo will probably only make slightly less.  Plus there is going to be a lot of debugging that will need to be done initially.  Last thing any programmer wants is really heavy usage while trying to smash bugs.  Nothing is stopping them from lowering the prices later when things have calmed down.  Next I'm going to check this pokemon footage out.

Also I still think that $9 dollars is a wonderfully low top end.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »
If the max is $9 dollars for some games then this is a great deal.  If things go right then this means we could all be downloading Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for only $9.  Considering in order to play it now, your required to spend hundreds of dollars just do import a PC-Engine with all the attachments just to play the game, then you'll have to spend another hundred to buy the game itself.

So getting Rondo of Blood for only $9 has got to be one of the greatest deals ever.  And since Konami owns Hudson now, there's a very good chance this game will be on the Virtual Console sometime in the future.  Hopefully soon.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 08:51:08 AM »
Just saw the footage for the Pokemon game.  I'm underwhelmed.  Yet again the pokemon themselves get gyped.  When is Pikachu going to actually have hair?  They all look like there made out of plastic, again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »
Pikachu with hair?!?!? SACRILEGE! GET 'IM!

On a more serious note, the Pokemon art style is clean and simple and pure and child-accessible (like most of the anime style). Giving Pikachu hair and more realism would be opposite of what Pokemon benefits from.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
I don't see the problem if Pikachu were to be slightly fuzzy...

I think even on the show, when someone pets Pikachu, or especially that other one, Sparky, it becomes more clear that they have yellow fur/hair as opposed to being yellow-skinned naked mole rats.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 09:40:02 AM »
Unless you invest money in a bunch of equipment to connect controllers to your pc and your pc to your tv, the Wii will have an advantage over typical emulation, and that's assuming that pc emulators work well (they often don't).  5 bucks seems a bit steep for an old nes game, but they may be doing software testing on each game they release to ensure full compatibility (it is a retail product after all, can't have it crash the emulator during the last boss fight).

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
Pikachu with wha??

I think this price range is fine...in my own personal opinion, pretty much any game is worth $4, except for a total load like Superman 64...heck even that might be worth it purely for the novelty.

And as others have said, $9 is a bargain for a lot of classics.  I'd gladly pay $9 for any good game you care to mention, but I'll buy 3 copies if it's something like Chrono Trigger. There aren't a lot of used game stores left in Calgary, and the only one I've visited recently charges at least $20 for pretty much any game you can mention.  This is a great alternative.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 09:48:59 AM »
the prices are fine.  $4 is slightly much for an old NES game like Urban Champion.  But $9 is a steal for Snes classics like A Link To The Past or Shadowrun, not to mention N64 classics.  It ends up being a bargain in my eyes.

Besides, who feels like f'ing with the NES, and that hideous blinking screen?I'd sooner pay $4 even if I owned the game then drag all my wires and rubbing alcohol out just to play Tag Team Wrestling.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
Well considering that people were expecting $20 for the N64 games the price range doesn't seem too bad for me. It also hints that Nintendo is going to publish smaller orginal content for the Wii on the download service.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.