Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 237743 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #750 on: November 14, 2007, 03:14:00 AM »
THIS GAME IS AMAZING. It literally makes me giddy with joy. It's so good I'm speechless.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 14, 2007, 04:43:52 AM »
I can't help but smile when I'm playing this game, it's such an unbelievable experience. There's only one other game that does that to me, Super Mario Bros. 3, and I consider that game the greatest ever made.  It's a game that got a huge amount of hype leading up to released and somehow manages to live up to all of it and then some.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #752 on: November 14, 2007, 06:41:13 AM »
Roommate and I just beat the game. He played a chunk of the middle without me but I was his co-star in the beginning and end.

I was about to make a flippant remark about how the game ends at 60, but guy's, it doesn't. THE GAME JUST GETS BETTER ONCE YOU BEAT IT.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 14, 2007, 06:51:30 AM »
I got up early to play a couple of levels this morning. I'm planning on picking up MOHH2 today, so I will have to balance between the two games.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 14, 2007, 09:26:07 AM »
That's great to hear Kairon!

GP I just beat the second galaxy boss and I completely agree with you.

I also completely love the fact that already some classic Mario songs have come back. The Super Mario Bros. 3 stage music for the special stage "Sweet Sweet Galaxy" . . . or was it planet . . . w/e was fantastic. Bowsers remix from SM64 was also great.

So far all the stage designs are extremely fun and I'm having a blast =D  

Edit: Oh and Koji Kondo and his team should be given an award for all the original music in this game so far. The best Mario music i've heard in a long long time.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
The Super Mario Bros. 3 stage music for the special stage "Sweet Sweet Galaxy" . . . or was it planet . . . w/e was fantastic. Bowsers remix from SM64 was also great.

You'll be hearing a lot of it...

Of the new music, I particularly love the theme from (third world spoilers) Ghostly Galaxy...It's incredibly moody...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »
What I love about the game is the level variety, it has planetary levels with many little planets and it has ones for more traditional platforming in large levels.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
Yeah I must say, the mix of "traditional" platforming is placed in the game so flawlessly that you really don't even notice the switch.

It all just flows well together.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #758 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
Yes yes yes.  It is very very good.  My roommate and her boyfriend just WATCHED me play for about an hour, and they aren't Nintendo people (she's not even a videogame person!).  This is a great game.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 14, 2007, 03:02:04 PM »
I got it!

I just wanted to say the game is awesome and to stay away from this thread until I get all stars.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wulffman04

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
The only complaint I've been hearing (I'm not playing it because I don't have a wii *gasp*) is that there is not a whole lot of free roaming. ex: each star for most planets puts you on a relatively linear path. Is this true? If not, how many levels are very open?
Follow the Hobo <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo#Hobo_code">Code![/url]

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
You just hit on the key difference between Galaxy and the other 3D Marios - from what I've played so far, it's much closer to the 2D games in the sense that the object of most stages is to move along past obstacles and planets to get to an eventual goal. Maybe later on there will be bigger areas to explore and more open-ended Star hunts.. Actually, there are a few of those already, but as I said, I haven't played much at all.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 14, 2007, 03:52:34 PM »
I would say about an 80-20 ratio of linear-to-free-roaming...Though it really depends on what your definition of free-roaming is considering there are sometimes multiple paths you can take in the linear parts...In the end it doesn't matter... =)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 14, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »
Yeah, an 80-20 linear-free roaming ratio sounds about right. But don't worry, there's more free roaming deeper in the game than what you see in the beginning.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 14, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
The whole design of galaxy makes it seem less "linear" and more "original" than anything else. The ability to run every-which-way around smaller planetary bodies and other objects leads to a lot of discovery that isn't necessarily as free-roaming of an experience as SM64 but very enjoyable none the less because it is so different than what we are used to in a typical Mario platformer.

The execution in the level design thus far is flawless =)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 14, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »

The whole design of galaxy makes it seem less "linear" and more "original" than anything else. The ability to run every-which-way around smaller planetary bodies and other objects leads to a lot of discovery that isn't necessarily as free-roaming of an experience as SM64 but very enjoyable none the less because it is so different than what we are used to in a typical Mario platformer.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the game actually has MORE to explore than Mario 64 when it is all added up, especially the bigger worlds.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 14, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »

I wouldn't expect anything but flawless considering the brilliance of the level design in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 14, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

I wouldn't expect anything but flawless considering the brilliance of the level design in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat...

Not to take anything away from the development team but I think the level design has alot to do with Miyamoto, the game oozes his touch.  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #768 on: November 15, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Not to take anything away from the development team but I think the level design has alot to do with Miyamoto, the game oozes his touch.

Agreed, but you can definitely see the DKJB in it as well. The combination of Miyamoto and this team is total brilliance. I hope they are already working on a new Mario, after seeing just a small amount of Galaxy I know for sure that I want to see more out of this "dream team."
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 15, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
On the whole this is more linear akin to the 2D games.  I think that's a very good thing.  I enjoyed the 2D games and I didn't like the 3D games nearly as much.  Mostly because the goals became extremely fuzzy at points.  What can I say I'm not a Sandbox Gamer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 15, 2007, 02:10:52 AM »
Must..........not.........buy.............game..........yet!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:14 AM »
I am having such a blast with this game! Im waking up early again to play befor work, and im rushing home as soon as possible to play befor I sleep! I love this feeling!

The Jungle Beat team is AMAZING! Whipping off of dandy lions, and skating on ice, just like DK did in his game! It's a freakin blast!

I don't care how much blood and guts this game doesn't have, if any given game playing person who enjoyed these types of games back in the NES days can't enjoy this, then well I feel sorry for them.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 15, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
Skating. Skating is a small touch, but so awesome. They need to make an entire game around it... try holidng down Z while skating for more awesomeness.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:26 AM »
I don't know why people are accusing it of being linear, Sunshine was just as linear, and Mario 64 was pretty linear as well though you could get a star other than the one you chose from time to time.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 15, 2007, 07:16:38 AM »
Well, in sunshine, you could do a few levels in a world and then another world would open up, so you could have multiple worlds open at a time. At least that's how I d did it.