Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39191 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:17 AM »
Why not just buy a DVD player? They're $25-30 and would probably be of better quality than any Wii type of player.
Not everyone has a bunch of open connections on the back of their TV and it's easier to just have one device that already takes DVD's hooked up to TV that actually play DVD movies too. It's a convenience thing and possibly a space issue.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »
Why not just buy a DVD player? They're $25-30 and would probably be of better quality than any Wii type of player.
Not everyone has a bunch of open connections on the back of their TV and it's easier to just have one device that already takes DVD's hooked up to TV that actually play DVD movies too. It's a convenience thing and possibly a space issue.

I can not stand a bunch of cords tangled up behind my table. I totally agree with this staement.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
Eh, I guess I just don't get it, then. I'd rather have dedicated devices as they are generally of better quality and durability, and my television has plenty of inputs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:23 AM »
You are just thinking about your situation that's why.

do you have a DVD player hooked up to every tv in your house?
if you could move a cheap DVD player off your main TV and put it in the other room and just use the Wii as your DVD player on the main TV or bedroom TV or whatever TV it's hooked up to, wouldn't you?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »
Probably not.
I guess it's hard to say. I have just one television. And I don't have a DVD player.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2010, 02:21:24 AM »
Well, if the Wii could play DVD's, then you would have a DVD player on your main (& only) TV. Then you could get extra excited about Netflix coming to the Wii since you would be able to stream and receive DVD's.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:03 AM »
I think my PC can play DVDs. It has a drive with the DVD logo on it, but I haven't gotten around to testing it. Come to think of it, I believe it also has an S-video out that I could connect to my television. If I really wanted it, I could use my PC as my DVD player and movie streamer.

I guess not everyone has alternatives, though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2010, 02:32:08 AM »
Also most people don't have their PC next to their TV or want to go through the trouble of getting the cables to hook the TV up to the computer. Obviously you didn't either or it would have already been done.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
It'll never happen but it'd be sweet if the next Wii had a dedicated channel for Hulu in addition to Netflix.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
1.  A COMPETENT ONLINE STRUCTURE
2.  Anti-Aliasing would be good.
3.  Good shader model support. Something that killed the Wii's graphics this gen.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
With Netflix soon appearing on the Wii, having DVD playback now seems even more pointless.

Not even close. First, Netflix doesn't have every DVD released. Second, only about 10% of DVD's on Netflix are available for streaming.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Videos on my Wii's Nintendo Channel keep stopping because of the buffer running out. I couldn't stand to watch a 2 hour movie that keeps cutting out like that. I have broadband internet via wifi and I guess it could be faster than it is, but it shouldn't be cutting out liek that. My point is I don't know if Netflix will work good for me, so I don't think I'll be using it.

But on the other hand, I won't use my Wii for a Dvd player either. The reason is because I can get a new DVD player for $20, but a new Wii costs 10 times as much. I absolutely refuse to wear my Wii out unnecessarily. Disc drives involve moving parts, and its a fact they will wear out and break if you use them long enough. The Wii is made for games, and that's what I'm using it for. I don't care if it had the ability to play DVDs or not, because I refuse to use that feature. You guys can if you want, but like I said, why bother? DVD players are cheap enough so just get one if you need one. Don't waste your Wii!
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »

The lack of any real effort for anti-aliasing has really[/b] bothered me as of late. It was quite annoying in The Darkside Chronicles, and made Super Mario Galaxy almost unbearable. There have been a few other recent (for me) examples as well. I have to wonder however, why it never really occurred to me prior to the last few months.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »

The lack of any real effort for anti-aliasing has really[/b] bothered me as of late. It was quite annoying in The Darkside Chronicles, and made Super Mario Galaxy almost unbearable. There have been a few other recent (for me) examples as well. I have to wonder however, why it never really occurred to me prior to the last few months.

The non-standard shader model pretty much ruined all the ports graphics we got too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

The non-standard shader model pretty much ruined all the ports graphics we got too.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons that the Tegra rumors for the DS2 are so interesting.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »
Did someone mention forward compatibility for Wii downloads that can be accomplished without me crating up the two systems and shipping them to NOA?

Because that's at the top of my priority list. I've bought a second Wii's worth of WiiWare/VC stuff and if it can't be transferred I'm quitting console gaming.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
Oh man, the Second Wii had BETTER accept my VC and WiiWare library. I think I've spent more on Downloadable games than on my Wii Hardware.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
From what I remember I think the Cube could do AA but not full-screen. The Wii should be capable of this as well, especially considering the larger memory. I don't understand why devs aren't doing this though. Well, Dewy's Adventure supported AA.

As long as Wii2 is more in line with the capabilities of the other systems I'll be happy. Rather short-sighted but I don't feel like being innovative tonight.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
I'm so lame.

My first thought was "Dang!  I hope they make the speaker on the controller better, and use it more often during games."  Even though I really like the subtle immersion it offers, the other suggestions in this thread are OBVIOUSLY much better.

From what I've read, the biggest things I'm interested in seeing are more solid-state onboard memory (which I prefer to hard drives) and backwards compatibility with disc-based and digital games from this generation.

Sadly, I'm betting that Nintendo won't have a way to carry Virtual Console and WiiWare games forward though.  They didn't structure the existing service in a way that makes it easy to do that... and it's probably not worth the cost to them to change now.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Finally, a comment regarding DVD playback.  I can understand why people want an "all in one" device, but can also understand people who want a gaming system to be dedicated to one purpose.  However, it would be nice if Nintendo gave people the option to decide how they wanted it to be used instead of limiting our choices.  Selling a DVD channel so only people who want the feature need to pay for the appropriate licensing fees would be great... but I'm not sure if that's possible.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
The Wii is a firmware update and a channel away from allow DVD playback.
or a hack and a DVD program, either way it can play DVD's without much effort.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »
The Wii is a firmware update and a channel away from allow DVD playback.
or a hack and a DVD program, either way it can play DVD's without much effort.

Nnitendo might release this update once the netflix service comes out. It makes sense that if they are going to allow their machine to become a movie player via Netflix, then it would seem logical to allow a DVD service on the console as well. However, this may cut into Netflix allowing movies on the system and Nintendo may not allow that to happen.

Also, how could Nintendo make the wii play DVDs via firmware? I do not understand how that could happen?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »
The Disc drive for the Wii is a DVD player.
All the Wii is lacking is a DVD movie codec that lets you play standard DVD movies.
You can already get DVD playback through the HomeBrew channel if you want it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
It might be difficult for Nintendo to have the VC stuff moved over to the new console, but what they could do that should be real easy is offer a credit to those who bought the VC stuff. If you can show Nintendo you bought $50 worth of stuff on your old Wii, then they can give you a credit for $50 of stuff you can download on your Wii 2. This way you CAN get your old purchases back if you want, but this would actually be better because you could get games you might rather have instead.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
^not gonna happen.
At best they will unlock the games from your old Wii and tie them an online account so you can re-download/transfer them (hopefully works with saves too)
or
Give you download codes that only work on your registered Wii2 that's tied to your Nintendo Account so that you can re-download your games.

Another approach would be a VC/Saves Transfer channel on the Wii2 where you link your Wii/Wii2 together with a USB cable and it will handle the(one-time) transfer for you.
Wii2 will probably be required to be connected online at the time of transfer and all content from old Wii will be moved(not copied) permanently to the new Wii2.

But Nintendo will never just give everyone 100's of $$$ to compensate for what you already bought so that you can go buy all new stuff for free.

If Nintendo is smart, everything relating to Wii2/DS2 online will be linked to your MyNintendo account. That will keep track of titles owned, registered and played. Awards earned, games beat, coins earned from earning awards and beating games. Online activity, friends list, Wii2/DS2 usage, etc. etc..

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
I hate the xbox systems passionatly.

Do elaborate.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown