Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 167  (Read 14801 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 167
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
Checkpoints were the biggest difference between Saints Row 1 and 2 for me, SR1 had many missions starting with a drive across town during which the characters would discuss the upcoming mission but there were no checkpoints after that, if you died near the end you'd have to do everything all over including that long, uneventful drive. SR2 had frequent checkpoints and death wasn't even remotely as frustrating. It's why I finished a campaign in SR2 (Ronin) before my reformat when I never did in SR1.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »
Yes, the checkpoints in Saints Row 2 are great. They make the game more playable than, say, GTA4.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
I'm a little late on this, but I don't really understand the hostility towards the Super Guide.  Do I personally care about it, no?  Odds are good that I'll never see it.  There aren't too many Mario games where I've died eight times in a row in the same level.

I personally appreciate it's inclusion, though, because I am one of those people who has a kid that will soon be old enough to begin playing games.  And I can tell you that while kids are persistent, they can also get easily frustrated when they can't make something work the way they think it should.  Mileage will vary, depending on their personality.

It does make me wonder why Nintendo chose eight lives as the magic number?  Why not five?  Why not ten?  Did they perform tests or surveys on the frustration levels of various gamers? 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
See there, I had no idea that Jon was a fellow inductee into the Milon Club.

Yeah, I played the hell out of that game during the summer of '89, I believe.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 02:19:33 AM »
See there, I had no idea that Jon was a fellow inductee into the Milon Club.

Yeah, I played the hell out of that game during the summer of '89, I believe.

Must have been a jaw dropping experience, things had come a long way since you got a rare hands on with Tennis for Two when you were in your teens in 1958.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »
It was actually 1962, please and thank you.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog