Author Topic: What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?  (Read 16079 times)

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?
« on: May 30, 2022, 05:35:47 PM »
I was curious last night with the addition of Kirby 64 to the service if that meant that all the games Nintendo had shown for the N64 Switch app had now been added. The answer was almost. The only other game shown back in September last year that isn't on the app yet is Pokemon Snap so that's likely next month's offering. But once Snap hits, we do not know what else is to come.

I was wondering if Nintendo might show more games to come in the future with their next Direct (the possible Showcase we usually expect at E3 time). However, considering they haven't done that for any of the other apps and just announce games for them about a week or so before they get added, it is likely the 64 app will now just get those surprise announcements as well.

But what do you think is next for the app? What are you hoping to see added?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 06:53:12 PM »
I imagine that Banjo-Kazooie is not the only Rare game they plan to put on the service. Any of the popular Rare games would be great additions but my personal picks are Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I played DK64 on Wii U VC and Conker on Rare replay and found both to be fun to play.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 07:49:09 PM »
If they're going to add more Rare games I would love to see Perfect Dark. On a different note, Harvest Moon 64, which I believe was on the Wii U Virtual Console, would be nice.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 08:26:45 PM »
Where is our resident N64 collector, Mop it up, at?

As for new games. I had a limited selection of N64 games growing up because of the cost but some faves I remember that are not currently on the NSO service are these.

Super Smash Bros-Owned
Perfect Dark-Not Owned
Jet Force Gemini-Not Owned
Turok 2-Owned
Beetle Adventure Racing-Not Owned
Excitebike 64-Owned
Ogre Battle 64-Not Owned
Pokemon Puzzle League-Owned
Vigilante 8-Owned
Rayman 2:The Great Escape-Not Owned
Fighting Force 64-Owned
Extreme G 1 and 2-Owned both
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.- Not Owned
Rampage World Tour- Not Owned
Fighters Destiny-Owned
Mischief Makers-Not Owned
Dark Rift- Owned

I would like all the n64 wrestling games but I bet there are rights issues.  Same reason why I didn't list Golden Eye

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:35:25 PM »
DK64 I expect pretty soon. It would probably be my choice as the next game after Pokemon Snap although maybe Banjo-Tooie could be that game if Nintendo wants to throw in another third party game before all their first party stuff is loaded up. Gotta think Tooie would be included if the first made it over.

There are 21 games on the Wii U VC console. Only three of those games are third party: Harvest Moon 64, Bomberman 64 and Ogre Battle 64. If Nintendo does get a few Rare games like Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini, then it will likely be able to just equal or surpass the Wii U VC.

The Wii U VC still has the following: Excitebike 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race 64, Donkey 64 and Mario Party 2. (Also Pokemon Snap but Nintendo showed that as a title coming to the 64 app). Of those games, I'd say DK64 and Mario Party 2 are the big titles Nintendo still have up their sleeve. I'm really curious how Nintendo will handle the Party games with Superstars for Switch. Will they just ignore those titles or will they re-release them with online play and possibly take away sales from Superstars?

As for other third party games, I'd like to see Harvest Moon also but not sure it will happen. It's not like Harvest Moon SNES was added to the SNES app so if it wouldn't appear there, why would Natsume release it for the 64 app? Likewise Square has done nothing with the SNES app preferring to do their own re-releases so I doubt Ogre 64 is happening. Bomberman 64 might have a chance because who knows what Konami is thinking these days. However, like Harvest Moon, there have been no Bomberman games for the SNES app so why would they release some for 64?

I wonder if we might see a couple of the Cruis'N games show up. Can't imagine there is much demand for those old titles so whoever has the rights may be more willing to let those show up on the App.

Mischief Makers is a title I have some long shot hope for.  Are we going to be seeing Gex or Glover or Earthworm Jim 64 for the app?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 08:45:10 PM »
Also, it would be nice to get PilotWings 64, which for some reason was never on the Virtual Console on Wii or Wii U.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 02:54:21 AM »
I would kill for Ogre Battle on Switch.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
So just running down the list of stuff mentioned so far...

From the Wii / Wii U vc:
  • 1080 Snowboarding Seems like a likely addition in winter.
  • Bomberman 64 Requires Konami to wake up, so 50/50 I'd say.
  • Bomberman Hero This never hit Wii U vc, but was on Wii. Lower odds than Bomberman 64 I'd say.
  • Cruis'n USA Was on Wii. Nintendo recently remembered they own this, so barring rights for the car, sure?
  • Donkey Kong 64 Very likely imo.
  • Excitebike 64 Only wrinkle I could think of might be branded bikes/billboards.
  • Harvest Moon 64 The Story of Seasons split could be an issue, but that was in 2012 and Harvest Moon 64 hit Wii U after that.
  • Mario Party 2 The safest bet out of the 3.
  • Pokémon Puzzle League Added in July.
  • Pokémon Snap Added in June.
  • Ogre Battle 64 Person of Lordly Caliber Square seems determined to forget about Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre.
  • Super Smash Bros. Was on Wii, not Wii U. Toss up. I lean "no" since Smash Ultimate starts with the 64 roster.
  • Wave Race 64 Added in August.
Others Nintendo owns:
  • Custom Robo Added in July (Japan only).
  • Custom Robo v2 Added in July (Japan only).
  • Dr. Mario 64 Already on the app.
  • Hey You! Pikachu Would need a mic, so probably not. Creatures Inc. owns it now I think.
  • Mario Party Probably not what with the glove + Superstars.
  • Mario Party 3 Not sure why this one has been kept in the vault, anyone know?
  • Pilotwings 64 has never been re-released, might be an issue with Paradigm?
  • Pokémon Stadium Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.
  • Pokémon Stadium 2 Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.
Some baseless speculation on my part:
  • Castlevania 64 if Konami wakes up.
  • Castlevania Legacy of Darkness if Konami wakes up.
  • Hybrid Heaven if Konami wakes up.
  • Knife Edge: Nose Gunner this is made & owned by Kemco, who are still around.
  • Mahjong 64 Was a Japan-only Koei game. Since Winback is here, why not at least in Japan?
  • Mystical Ninja Goemon if Konami wakes up.
  • Mystical Ninja Goemon 2 if Konami wakes up.
  • Rakugakids if Konami wakes up.
  • Rayman 2: Great Escape Ubisoft has re-released this like 10 times, what's an 11th?
  • Tonic Trouble Seems less likely than Rayman 2, but maybe Ubi won't turn down a cheque.

Edit: Dr. Mario 64 is already on there lol, didn't pay attention. Thanks Khush!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 05:16:47 AM by Order.RSS »

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 02:42:09 PM »
Dr. Mario 64 is already on the app.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
Considering we've gotten some pretty deep cuts on the NES and SNES online, I imagine anything third party that doesn't have licensing issues is fair game.

Some baseless speculation on my part:
  • Castlevania 64 if Konami wakes up.
  • Castlevania Legacy of Darkness if Konami wakes up.
  • Hybrid Heaven if Konami wakes up.
  • Mystical Ninja Goemon if Konami wakes up.
  • Mystical Ninja Goemon 2 if Konami wakes up.
  • Rakugakids if Konami wakes up.

I mean we did get Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hardcorp on the Genesis part of the Expansion Pack and those are from two collections Konami is already selling on the Switch.  Konami is willing to play ball with the extra money the Expansion Pack is offering so I wouldn't be surprised to see most of their N64 lineup shows up, which includes the Hudson games they own as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 01:39:18 PM »

• Pokémon Stadium Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.
    • Pokémon Stadium 2 Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.

The Pokémon Stadium games could be interesting. The big draw of those games was being able to connect the GameBoy games to the console. Though there are things you can do without the connectivity. There's also the possibility of connecting the game with Pokémon Home, which seems like it'd be a lot of work that Game Freak wouldn't want to do.
    TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »

The Pokémon Stadium games could be interesting. The big draw of those games was being able to connect the GameBoy games to the console. Though there are things you can do without the connectivity. There's also the possibility of connecting the game with Pokémon Home, which seems like it'd be a lot of work that Game Freak wouldn't want to do.

If they wanted to get really ambitious they could add Game Boy games to the service and let you transfer Pokémon from those to Stadium.[/list]

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
        • FACEBOOK!
      « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 05:07:28 AM »

If they wanted to get really ambitious they could add Game Boy games to the service and let you transfer Pokémon from those to Stadium.[/list]

I could see this as a possibility down the road. I think, for now, the best hope might be that Pokémon flagged as coming from the Gen I games in Home would have the possibility of being put into the game. So, you'd have to get your 3DS copies of the games and put the Pokémon into Bank and then into Home.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
          • View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 05:12:58 AM »
        The next addition will be Wave Race 64, fun title for the Summer. Both the Custom Robo games hit the Japanese NSO a month ago, too.

I doubt anyone is surprised by Wave Race getting added. Always felt like the surest bet, even over 1080, Excitebike 64, and DK64.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
        • Score: 70
          • View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
        There is getting to be enough games I would want to play that I don't have physically that I could consider buying the expansion plan. But there is a time issue for me. Maybe once things settle down in life and I actually get to play Switch more consistently it would be worth it.
        My Game Collection
        NNID: Chronocast
        Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
        3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
        XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
          • View Profile
        « Reply #15 on: September 13, 2022, 12:48:30 PM »
        Bunch of new N64 stuff was announced in the Direct today. Interesting Japan is getting Harvest Moon 64, but it wasn't mentioned in the US Direct - despite that game being on Wii U virtual console.

2022:
        - Pilotwings 64 So I guess if there was a rights issue, it has now been solved.
        - Mario Party I had wondered if the thumbstick turning would have ruled this one out.
        - Mario Party 2

2023:
        - Mario Party 3
        - Pokémon Stadium
        - Pokémon Stadium 2

- 1080 Snowboarding
        - Excitebike 64
        - Harvest Moon 64 Japan only (for now?).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
          • FACEBOOK!
        « Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 03:00:56 PM »

I could see this as a possibility down the road. I think, for now, the best hope might be that Pokémon flagged as coming from the Gen I games in Home would have the possibility of being put into the game. So, you'd have to get your 3DS copies of the games and put the Pokémon into Bank and then into Home.

Wanted to bring this back up in light of the announcement today. Looks like they're going with no connectivity in Pokémon Stadium, at least for now. Joe Merrick did a thread on why this is more complicated than it looks. Definitely seems like we'll be waiting on GB games on NSO for this feature.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
          • Score: 125
            • View Profile
          « Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 09:20:49 PM »
          I'm betting Goldeneye 007 will release in 2022, since we haven't gotten a game yet this month, so there are four more slots left. My guess is the order will be:
          Sept: Pilotwings 64
          Oct: Mario Party
          Nov: Goldeneye 007
          Dec: Mario Party 2

I'm a little surprised they're tossing on the Pokémon Stadium games. I'd have thought if they ever re-released those, they'd make them separate paid releases and add in support for Home or something. It's also a bit of a shame that Mario Tennis and Golf don't have their transfer content unlocked.

As for Harvest Moon 64: The Japanese SNES app also got Harvest Moon. Isn't the problem with these games now that they no longer have the rights to the Harvest Moon name outside of Japan?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
            • View Profile
          « Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »
          As for Harvest Moon 64: The Japanese SNES app also got Harvest Moon. Isn't the problem with these games now that they no longer have the rights to the Harvest Moon name outside of Japan?

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but it seems like the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons split happened in 2012. Broadly I think Natsume holds the rights to the Harvest Moon brand name, whereas Marvelous has (some) rights to the game design. That's presumably why they were able to re-release Friends of Mineral Town, and will re-release A Wonderful Life next year with some in-game names changed under the Story of Seasons brand.

Regardless, Harvest Moon 64 was re-released on Wii U virtual console in 2017 according to Wikipedia, well after the ~2012 split. So unless that involved some sort of special deal where Natsume and Marvelous had to play nice together, I don't really get what the hold-up would be to put it on NSO in the west.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
          • Score: 70
            • View Profile
          « Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 01:49:37 AM »
          The hold up could be the uncomfortable possibility that the game sold poorly on the VC and so there isn't a huge draw to bring it back now.
          My Game Collection
          NNID: Chronocast
          Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
          3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
          XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
            • View Profile
          « Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 06:19:57 AM »
          Based on some of the stuff they’ve put on the service, broad appeal isn’t at all necessary for Nintendo to consider it. I’m pretty sure more people care about Harvest Moon than WinBack.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
            • View Profile
          « Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 11:12:55 AM »
          Wait wait wait woah woah wait, was there no game released in September? What gives?!

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
            • View Profile
          « Reply #22 on: October 31, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »
          Wait wait wait woah woah wait, was there no game released in September? What gives?!

I guess they are making up for it with 2 Mario Party games releasing this week.

Welp, Mario Party is what got me to take on the Expansion Pak online addition. That said, I also got the Family plan and currently have two people joining me as I look for one more to make it a 4 person plan and then we can all just keep paying as if it were the regular online fee.

With the two Mario Party games on their way, that will give the N64 App 21 games which equals the amount of 64 games released on the Wii U and there's more on the way so it will be surpassing the Wii U offerings as anticipated. Will the N64 get as high as 40 games on the app after all? I felt somewhere that this was my predication for what could theoretically be possible especially if Rare games are in the mix.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
            • View Profile
          « Reply #23 on: October 31, 2022, 09:27:05 PM »
          As for the current games on the App, the first thing I went to was the old Super Mario 64. You know, it's really been a long time since I last played this. It isn't something I thought about or noticed since that game is highly ingrained in my memory and so much about it has been imaged and referenced through the years. But the last time I played this would have been around 2016 when A Straight Up Trippin' Balls Forum User had the idea to do a gaming Olympics and I participated by seeing how many coins I could collect in World 15. (That was an odd sentence.) But aside from replaying that one level, I think the last time I fully played through this game was around 2005 when SM64DS came bundled with the DS system I just bought.

Playing it again now, it's a weird blend of almost feeling fresh while also feeling routine. I'm reading all the signs and relearning the controls a bit while mostly just collecting them stars pretty efficiently and as I pretty much know what to do. For instance, I remember it took a long time to master that flight cap and collect the 8 red coins in the area where you press the red switch to activate those caps in levels. This time around, I got them on my second try. I've collected all 7 stars for World's 1, 2 and 5 along with like 7 or 8 Secret Castle stars and left off at World 6. Skipped World 3 and 4 for now. The hardest thing sometimes has been camera control and fighting how I want to turn it sometimes. Although the actual hardest thing was getting to the Boo balcony / roof in World 5. I knew where to go but could just not jump up to it. I was trying all manner of things for like 30 minutes including going back through the rest of the area to make sure I wasn't missing a switch to give me a middle platform or lower it because it seemed to be too high to reach the door for the area. Finally pulled off getting up there only to slide off the roof after when going to collect the star. Got frustrated enough to see what sort of move I should be making and looked up a couple videos of the level being played to see people doing a wall kick that was enough to reach the area. A couple more successes of getting up to the top and falling off the roof eventually led to me getting that darned star by being smart and making some save states along the way. I knew I needed to get up there for one more star and as I did more practicing and trying to recall how I used to handle this in the past, I had a moment at last in which I finally clued in on the control combination that got Mario up there and then I was able to get up there much quicker and in time with the Vanish cap. Still, by far, my most hated moment when replaying this game right now. What was the thinking on that design?

Also dove into Mario Golf, a pull of nostalgia. Up there with the Mario Party games and Mario Kart for the most multiplayer I did on the system. My brother and I played many golf tours against each other. Playing it again now, I miss a few refinements that the series had from the last time I played it which was World Tour on 3DS. However, I've been able adjust enough to what it has and feel I've been doing slightly better than when I last played it. The added nostalgia hit from the music has kept me coming back for a few more holes. But, hoo-eee, I imagine this game will get a "Special" edition like some of the SNES games had in which it unlocks everything because having to unlock all the additional characters seems like such a long task right now that I'm not sure I'm all that up to doing again.

Another game I've dabbled in is Dr. Mario 64. After UncleBob's longtime praise of it on these forums and remembering how I always kind of wanted to rent it and try it from the days of Blockbuster and later regretted not trying it, I find I'm not that blown away by it. So far I've just done a session in the story mode which has been a rather weak story. It's just been the Dr. Mario experience. Doesn't seem like anything new or different from what has come before. It has the feel of Nintendo betting on the appeal being limited and not spending too much money on it so that it is more of a budget title or, let's say, B picture compared to the prestige or blockbuster picture of a Super Mario 64.

R.I.P. to my Switch backlog. Those games now seem even further away of getting played with me in N64 mode. (And still no DK64 in sight despite thinking it might be happening before some of the other stuff now getting released like the Mario Party games and Goldeneye. Probably for the best though. That's a long game I don't know why I want to play through more Beaver Bother again.)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
            • View Profile
          « Reply #24 on: November 01, 2022, 03:22:56 PM »
          I guess they didn't want to release the first Mario Party game on its own because of the stick-spinning stuff. I'm guessing Goldeneye 007 will be in December then.

I'm already in my own family plan so can't help you there Khushrenada, but I'd be interested in playing these games with your group, if our schedules can match up.

Dr. Mario 64 was indeed a budget title that was released only in NA in 2001, MSRP $30 USD. Its main claim to fame is that it's still the only Dr. Mario game with a four-player mode. Pretty crazy I know, but it's true! Or at least, in terms of regular gameplay. The WiiWare game has some four-player side mode where everyone cooperates to drop pills in the same bottle, but that was it.