Author Topic: Retro Info Not Coming Anytime Soon  (Read 3999 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Retro Info Not Coming Anytime Soon
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »

We hope you didn't have your hopes up for a late E3 unveiling of Metroid Prime 4.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30612

News of whatever project Retro Studios is working on won't be forthcoming anytime soon, according to an IGN interview with Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Amie. 

When asked about the well-loved Texas studio, Fils-Amie responded with "If I disclosed what Retro is doing, I would have the president of Retro literally calling me right now saying, 'Reggie, what are you doing?' We love that people are interested. We love surprising people. I remember getting the questions before we announced Donkey Kong Country Returns. And I loved unveiling that. So... Rest assured, the team is hard at work. But I'm not gonna tell you what they're working on."

When pressed further about whether we'd be learning about the project anytime soon, Fils-Amie responded with "Um... Likely not."

Retro Studios was last seen with Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Info Not Coming Anytime Soon
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
Probably next E3.

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
Rackin' frackin'!
The Dude abides

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »
I'll wait five years. So far, everything Retro has made is the kind of stuff you can come back to for years to come.
Sooner would be better, of course. ;)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
I have faith in Retro and what they make. It will be good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:37 PM »
They probably are busily scrapping that Metroid/Star Fox crossover that nobody wanted.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
Retro will do good for sure. Problem is it will be too late by that point. Wii U will be a dying platform. I see the GC era happening all over again.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
i don't care if the game they are making isn't coming until 2013, but a trailer would have been sweet.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
It makes you wonder just how many things they do work on that never see the light of day.  To some extent, I imagine that they do a bit of R&D work and experimentation, or pinch hit work for other projects.

The fact that nothing was shown from them was probably my biggest disappointment in E3.  I can't say that I really expect them to make another Metroid game anytime soon, though.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
But doesn't it seem like kind of a long time for them to be working on something?   It's been 2 years, maybe more, since they finished work on DKCR.   Unless there have been some major hiccups along the way, I would have thought they would be ready to show something.   

And before someone says "What about those MK7 tracks?"....well, I doubt those took significant development resources.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »
I would agree.  I'm really curious about how their relationship with Nintendo works. 

I had rather hoped that their work on the MK7 Retro tracks meant that they were delving into 3DS development; I was disappointed to hear that they didn't reveal a surprise Retro game at the 3DS presentation.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:23 AM »
But doesn't it seem like kind of a long time for them to be working on something?   It's been 2 years, maybe more, since they finished work on DKCR.   Unless there have been some major hiccups along the way, I would have thought they would be ready to show something.   

Well there was a 3 year gap between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Prime 3 and they didn't show DKCR until E3 of 2010 which was just a few month before its release.  So it's not that long now compared to how their previous games development and unveiling went.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:37 AM »
question is what is Armature studios doing?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »
question is what is Armature studios doing?

They're making the Vita port of Metal Gear Solid HD Edition.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/10/armature-studios-first-game-is-metal-gear-solid-hd-edition/

Once again the Nintendo curse strikes.  They left Nintendo because they wanted more freedom only to end up having less then before.  Just like everyone else that leaves Nintendo, they discover the grass is not greener on the other side.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
I ear hustled caterkiller talking to a main Retro guy near the Nintendo booth, and not only can I say that there well be no Retro news anyone soon, but according to Caterkiller, it was heavily implied that it's not gonna be Metroid either. I didn't hear the whole conversation because it was loud but I heard enough.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
I wish I could have heard that conversation.

It's not really a surprise, sadly.  Both Metroid Prime 3 or Other M underperformed, so it's difficult to envision a scenario where Nintendo would greenligh another Metroid game anytime soon.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »
It's not really a surprise, sadly.  Both Metroid Prime 3 or Other M underperformed, so it's difficult to envision a scenario where Nintendo would greenligh another Metroid game anytime soon.

Prime 3 sold over 1.3 million copies, it didn't under perform.  Now Other M did under perform but that doesn't change the fact Prime 3 was successful.  Hell even Other M managed something over 500k which would have been good if the games budget was much smaller.  Just because the games weren't putting up Mario or Pokemon level numbers, doesn't mean they do well.

This is why we're much more likely to get a new Metroid in the near future then some of you think.  Of course I wouldn't expect anything from Retro since they were sick of the series after the 3rd game and wanted to start doing something different.  But that doesn't change the fact we'll probably get a new Metroid from another studio sometime in the next 2 years.