Author Topic: GBA vs GBA SP  (Read 21028 times)

Offline Zaush

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2003, 02:45:47 AM »
I got my black SP about a week ago and I'm pretty dang impressed. The light is a godsend, allowing you to play it in any lighting condition. The screen is protected by the clamshell folding case, and the paint, contrary to previous reviews, isn't easy to scratch at all. The buttons are a little more firm to press (clicky) than the original GBA, but you get used to it. People with larger hands will need to explore new ways of holding it to play comfortably, which lies mostly in wether you need to use the L+R buttons often. The A button is slightly firmer than the B button, probably for added durability, since teh A button is pressed the most.

Those of you that think the SP is junk because it doesn't have a build in headphone adapter can suck a nut. I mean the thing is like 5$. Look what you get in return, an included AC adapter. The original GBA doesn't even have that option. The built in battery lasts forever, even with the light on, which is nice becuase you'll probably have it on most of the time.

Oh and about the speaker, it's definitly louder and fuller than the original GBA speaker. I could barely hear anything coming out of the original GBA. The headphone out also seems to deliver more power to the headphones. BTW that headphone adapter came in teh smallest box I've ever seen, you probably couldn't even fit a silver dollar in it.

I spent about 140$ on the system, including shipping, and have no regrets. The SP is a must have unit for anyone looking to buy a new GBA. The speaker is loud enough you might not even need to get the headphone adapter, but if you do, the sound output is great. Even if you're a cheapskate, the SP is still the way to go. The money you save on batteries and afterburner installation pays for the difference in cost exponentially.

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2003, 05:26:01 PM »
Thank you Zaush and Joe Falco you both have written helpful reviews backing up your opinions. After hearing Zaush's post I think I am actually going to go for an SP. I'm going to save some cash and wait for the price to drop, should only take a few months or so and by then the games will be cheap. Thanks again guys.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2003, 07:57:19 PM »
in my opinion, it would be absoloutly foolish to buy a regular GBA over an SP. The differecnes may seem superficial, and that lit screen may not seem like a huge imporvement under the bright flourescent store lighting, but it is. The differecne is staggering. The entire unit is of a much higher qiality, and the degree of polish is amazing.

Save the old GBA for kids on the playground, it's not even worth considering. I now have three GBA's, two old galcier ones, and an SP. I'm selling one of them, and saving the other in the unlikely event someone want to play a multiplayer games with me.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2003, 07:26:06 PM »
At the current moment.

I own both a regular GBA, and an SP.

I have friends who own a regular GBA, and i have friends that own SP's.

SP is *FAR* superior in almost every way, And it would be FOOLISH to buy a regular GBA after playing it.  The battery alone makes it worth the extra money, because i know for a *FACT* that I've spent over 30$ on batteries for my GBA alone, and I'm not including a peripheral light.

The SP's fold out design not only makes it sexier and smaller, but it also prevents the screen from getting scratched, which has been a major issue among every GBA I've ever seen, my own GBA has some horrendous scratches, and a big dent on its screen.  My SP, which i literally haven't left alone since i got it, Has yet to have any scratches or similar problems at all.
I never have to worry about stealing batteries from other sources (kitchen clock, emergency flashlight, Wavebird(and yes, that order >.> anymore, because the recharger and how long the SP lasts take care of all of those problems.
Playing in the dark is cool.
I can actually listen to the game music now, i don't have to worry about it draining my battery life!

I love my SP, and its hard for me to go back, I'm keeping both for multiple reasons, however.  SP is the way to go that 30$ is worth way more than the problems the first GBA had.  

GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2003, 05:23:14 PM »
I never bought a gba, too dark, sucked...

SP... I see the beautiful light! I see the games! HOOORAAAAH!
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2003, 03:04:16 PM »
you guys could always get the Afterburner if you don't want to spend all that money on an SP.  This is great for those who don't think the SP is comfortable.  With the trade in, your losing two games and spending 60 bucks, with the Afterburner, you keep the games and spend less. THe only thing holding people back is that if you send it in you're letting other people take apart your game boy.  If you do it yourself, you're doomed.

people with the afterburner, speak! Is it worth it?  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2003, 04:11:20 PM »
Add me to the list of gamers that thinks the SP is ten times better than the GBA. I had really quit playing my GBA because I just couldn't see it unless you were in ideal lighting conditions (sitting under a lamp). I didn't like playing that way because I'd have to lay uncomfortably to get the light. In almost 2 yrs of owning the GBA, I only bought 5 GBA games (2 at launch) and 3 GBC games for it. I'd sometimes go months without even touching it.

However, I recently traded my GBA plus $60 for the SP. While judging from a monetary standpoint I got the worst of the deal, the enjoyment I've gotten out of my SP more than makes up for it. I actually play GBA games again and that is what is important. Better protection (fold down screen), better sounding speakers, and most importantly the ability to see the screen perfectly even in a dark room makes the SP the better deal.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2003, 04:23:45 PM »
Actually, doesn't the Afterburner cost another 50-100 dollars (US) anyway?  So buying an old GBA and planning on an Afterburner would be kind of dumb, wouldn't it?  Anyway, SP has a far better design and is much better in every other way, in my opinion (I own both).
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2003, 04:58:21 PM »
dont forget the rechargeable battery, sure you could get one to put in your gba, but why bother sp = battery get!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2003, 04:45:39 AM »
sure, but if you buy a pack of rechargables, you get more to put in your other electronic stuff.  Plus, when your gameboy ones run out, you can put in another pair and recharge the dead ones.  So you'll always have freshly charged batteries for your gameboy.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2003, 05:08:09 AM »
but can you charge while playing and get between 10-18 hours from as little as 3 hours charging and having it all packaged for you when you get your sp
more convenient that rechargeables

Offline Haver

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2003, 05:09:29 AM »
SP is the way to go. I just got one for my birthday and it is a massive improvement on the GBA. The light makes all the difference. If you have the money, get the SP, no question about it. It will be worth it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2003, 10:37:35 AM »
i'm sticking with the original.  lighting doesn't bother me.  All you have to do is find a premium spot in your house to play.  On the road?  Floodlight.  Yes, it takes up batteries a quick rate, but that's where the extra rechargables come in.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2003, 01:45:35 PM »
there was one point with my original GBA, that i was SO in need of batteries i did this.
First: every remote in the house
Second: Batteries of most of the wall clocks
third: the survival flashlight batteries
forth: my wavebird batteries.

And this is why I'm happy i have the rechargeable SP =)  

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2003, 08:30:12 AM »
The batteries really do make it worth it.  Sure, you could buy a ton of rechargeables, but those certainly aren't cheap, AND you need to keep a charger on you at all times.  Nothing like going across country and making sure you packed the charger so you can sit in a hotel for a few hours waiting for them to charge.

Just plugging the SP in and playing while it's charging is great.  The headphone adapter is $5 direct from Nintendo and is just a short cable, if you even need it (I don't yet).  It's small, but once you're used to it, it feels just fine.

The battery is the one thing you can't test at the store, but believe me -- it's a wonderful thing  You can even get a third party car adapter for those long car rides, and just recharge on the go!  Even the AC adapter for the SP is small -- the prongs fold into the thing so it'll fit in a pocket.

And I love this quote: "It looks more like a little portable device then a portable gaming system."  Besides a "portable device" including every "portable gaming system" that's come out anyway, looking less like a "kiddy toy" is a good thing.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2003, 01:28:02 PM »
stickin with the original.  everyone, if you already got a GBA, don't go SP, trade in deals are bogus.  Newcomers, SP's probably the way to go.  If it means you get one less game, just pick a good one.  

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2003, 07:56:26 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
stickin with the original.  everyone, if you already got a GBA, don't go SP, trade in deals are bogus.  Newcomers, SP's probably the way to go.  If it means you get one less game, just pick a good one.

Blah blah blah. The original is garbage comparded to the SP. I say go for and SP and keep your old one for the odd chnace some stooge comes over with a link cable.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2003, 09:38:07 PM »
i got gba and sp, it really is worth it, i cant express how much its worth it in english (requiers strange noises that dont translate well to text) im keeping mine so when i get saphire i can trade with ruby yay i have no friends, NO FRIENDS!!!
also keeping it for multi player purposes when i travel to the land of many friends.
SP GET!!!
sp dont have? SP GET NOW!!!

Offline DrunkenBone

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
Sp is better than the regular GBA. However,I like the GBA better than the Sp cause the GBA has a headphone jack and it feels more naturally in your hand
Don't blame me, blame the..... umm... what was it.. the thing that starts with a S

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2003, 09:52:31 PM »
Whats going on with that deal where you trade in your GBA and a GBA SP only costs 59.99 ???? i heard about it but i havent seen it anywhere .... AHHHHH

Offline nu_world

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2003, 12:33:57 AM »
I prefer the original GBA to the SP too
yes, the SP's screen is mighty nice - but I plugged in my copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 into the SP - and I couldn't play it. For one, the buttons are too cramped (especcially the shoulder buttons), and they're a lot stiffer and 'clickier' than on the original GBA. They're also set into the unit more on the SP. Plus a proper headphone jack IS better. I usually play on the tram, to and from uni. headphones are a must (plus headphones sound way better than the puny speakers they stick in gameboys...)

So really, whilst a lit screen would be nice, I prefer a comfortable system, with controls I can actually use, over a light.
Besides, the original GBA looks much nicer too

Offline atrossity

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2003, 04:38:06 PM »
heres my opinion :
Gba:
pros---
more comfortable
a lot cheaper
cons--
hard to see, rarely could i find a comfortable+well lit conditon
GBASP:
speaker is louder, although nothing special
looks cooler(im no longer ashamed to bring it in public)
easy to see cuz of light
cons--
expensive

basically if i dint have a gba at all i woulda gotten just a special colored gba, with a well rated light, but since i already had one with a gmr subscription i just forked out 40 bucks with my gba and got a gbasp..

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2003, 05:00:55 PM »
most people i konw with an old GBA are "upgrading" to SP.

Its just that much better...

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2003, 06:45:35 PM »

Originally posted by: atrossity

basically if i dint have a gba at all i woulda gotten just a special colored gba, with a well rated light, but since i already had one with a gmr subscription i just forked out 40 bucks with my gba and got a gbasp..

So you did that special where you trade in your GBA + 40$ for a GBA SP ? Damnit where can i find this offer.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
GBA vs GBA SP
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2003, 06:52:59 PM »
at electronic boutique, gamestop, funcoland, and some other areas that i forget.

why do people think GBA is so comfortable. it isnt (i mean totally comfartable, it is comfortable somewhat) i think that the SP is a bit more holdable for long periods of time. u hold it with more of ur hands instead of ur fingers.