Author Topic: Monster Hunter Rising to the Occasion  (Read 99094 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Monster Hunter Rising to the Occasion
« on: March 28, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
I've been swamped with dealing with a newborn, but I did preorder this. Looking forward to getting to play with everyone in the coming weeks. Who else has picked it up and what are everyone's thoughts so far?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Rising to the Occasion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:58:20 PM »
I'll be getting it soon and I'm definitely interested in playing with the people here. I've tried to get into the series a couple times but it never really clicked, though this seems like a good time to give it another shot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
Word is this one is even more accessible than World so it sounds like a great one to give a shot.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 04:37:45 AM »
I picked this one up the other day and I am really enjoying it so far. 
There is lots of quality of life additions from the Tri, 3U, 4U, Generations U Nintendo series of Monster Hunter games and there is lots of nice additions.

My last Monster Hunter game I played was 4U which I liked and had lots of fun and I liked the additions it had. Still plan on getting Generations U for the Switch to play in my own time.

But this game is a bit different.

With Rise it is more like World in that it is more open world with the hunts and there is no loading in between areas of the map and the gathering is much better.  You just have to gather on one thing and it will give you all the different items from that gathering point at once.  So it isn't a grind getting items to use.  I also loved that cool and hot drinks are not required and also there is infinite whetstones.

There are also weapon trees for all the base weapons so you can chart your path and I think I saw you can revert a weapon back to a previous form and I think you get all the items back. I need to confirm this though.

It does have the standard hub world for villager and hub quests and there are similar towns folk as in what they do. Trading ships, item shops, arena battles, armor and weapon crafting and upgrading. Thing is everything is very streamlined. 

Also everything is explained in a way where you can look at the info yourself in game or have tutorials of what this new thing is and how to do it.  You can change that in the options though.

The new main things are the wire bug, Palimute(dogs) and the switch skills for each weapon.

The wire bug is interesting as it can help you go up in the air for a few seconds to reach a different area or to boost yourself up to attack with your weapon on a monster. There are also weapon attacks that can use the wire bug for different things like countering, getting closer or away from a monster. 

The Palimute can help you cover ground and can help fight monsters.  You can also do a few different things while riding them.

Switch Skills is something I got today and basically it changes the way you can fight using a weapon mid battle.    There was styles in MH4U and Generations U that you selected before the hunt and you were stuck with that style but you can change it mid hunt in Rise. 

One last thing that I really liked doing is creating my character.  So many things you can change and there really isn't any limitations to it.

One last thing which I will note is that I haven't had to go on the wiki to see where something is or what weapon tree goes into the next branch in the tree.

Those were a few things which stood out to me in my two days of play time.  Sorry if this post seems jumbled and everything but these are some of my initial thoughts.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Butterfly

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
I absolutely love it! This is the first game that got me so hooked. ;D

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
Just got past what many consider the first roadblock in Barroth in the village quests.

I did faint twice because of their mud move and then charge.  The mud does something a little different from past games.  It hits you and damages you but without having to be a mud ball.  It also has the effect of slowing your walk or run if you try to go through it. Also I have noticed the mud stays around longer that it used to so it is a matter of finding the right path to get out of the area surrounded with mud. 

I did it with the upgraded base Hammer and this new set I am working on. Izuchi helm, Baggi Mail, Jaggi Gauntlets, Izuchi coil and Baggi Greaves.  The skills on it are Attack Boost level 3 and Critical Eye Level 2.

One other thing that I like is there is no separate gunning armor so you don't have to make a gunning set just for using bowguns and bows.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 01:33:36 AM »
I finished the story mode for this over the weekend and I'm having an absolute blast with the game. The movement is so good.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
Still working through the villager quests. Look forward to see how the rest of the story goes.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 03:44:43 AM »
I was going to bee line to Wroggi in celebration of my favorite armor set returning, but wasn't sure how far into the game it shows up. Was going to look it up, but then realized other than the demo and initial trailer I was completely blind on the game and didn't want to spoil too much. So I'm just going to go through all the solo missions and enjoy the game instead of rushing.

Started on bow but I've been bow the last three games, so I'm back to longsword. Thinking after getting the hang of wirebugging I'll jump over to something else like lance/gunlance or hammer.

I'd play online, but irregular schedule with the baby has me up at odd times and never having more than a few minutes to play a full match, so online will be tricky until things settle down.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »
So veteran Hunters will remember Mixed Set Mondays from Arekkz Gaming and he released his first episode of Monster Hunter Monday for Rise. It is expanded to showcase news, hunting clips and some monster trivia.

Here is the first episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_1tAiixw0

Since Rise is new the mix set is about gathering and getting the most out of your expedition runs or just getting the most out of your mining runs.

Here is the set. Leather Headgear S, Rathian Mail S, Leather Gloves S, Leather Belt S and Chainmail Pants S.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 05:01:00 AM »
I'm starting to dig into this, and man there's a lot to this game. I've played a couple earlier ones but that was a long time ago and I never got that deep into any of them so I'm more or less going in fresh here. The tutorials are helpful, but they still throw a lot of information at you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 12:56:29 AM »
I'm starting to dig into this, and man there's a lot to this game. I've played a couple earlier ones but that was a long time ago and I never got that deep into any of them so I'm more or less going in fresh here. The tutorials are helpful, but they still throw a lot of information at you.

One nice thing about the game is that while there is tutorials there is hunter notes to look at in your own time. Think of it like the scans in the Metroid prime games but without the scanning. Information that is there if you need it and on your own time.

Also you don't actively have to document them with paintballs or anything like that. 

If you have any questions let us know.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 07:43:24 AM »
A great feature is the practice area. You can swap weapons quickly and practice combos. Also shows the button presses and combos on screen to better teach you. Much easier way to pick up a new weapon than just diving into a random mission and getting owned by the monster.

Used it to brush up on my gunlance and it really helped me grasp the different weapon controls.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »
So one of my favorite Monster Hunter YTers Gajin Hunter made a beginners guide to Monster Hunter Rise and it is for folks who are just starting off, have played past games but didn't get it or just vets to jump into the game with some neat tips about the game and the flow of the game and also some somewhat unknown thing you wouldn't really know.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-u0F2dimo0

It is about 2 hours and 40 minutes but in the description it has timestamps to parts of the video you want to go to.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 05:40:22 AM »
So today I played more Rise and got to the Hub 3 star urgent and looking forward to beating that in the coming days. It is an apex monster in a rampage battle.  I am really enjoying these rampage battles. So much strategizing.

In the Village quests I beat the Nargacuga and got enough parts to make one Narga weapon.  After that I noticed that I didn't really have a large portion of monster parts so I think I am going to do what I did with 4U village and fight the monster about 5 times just to get them down and get lots of monster parts.  Working on 2 star quests over the next few days and going up rank by rank since I have 6 star quests unlocked and can just progress through the rankings while I am completing the optional side quests and get lots of various items like armor spheres and other rarish items.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
The Magnamalo Orb eludes me. The dreaded true hunt for 1-3% drop rate materials begins.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »
So the Monster Hunter digital event was shown earlier today and for those that missed it here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMO5fxkPDGM

Bit of a summary of the update.

Hunter Rank Unlocked and layered armor
Elder Dragons
New Apex Monsters and hunt Apex Monsters
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
Also I think since the HR cap is off we should organize some hunts. I know I have been playing with Mop it up but really haven't gotten a chance to play with anyone else here really.

Maybe we can do weekly or bi weekly hunts much like we did with Tri back in the day.  Would anyone be up for that?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 12:34:52 AM »
I am definitely up for online hunting. Have just been playing with random strangers, and that has been going well so far.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 01:28:45 AM »
I've been sidetracked by a review game and MLB The Show, but I really want to get back into this and I'd definitely be interested in playing with you guys.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
I was kinda thinking of having two rooms. One for low rank and one for high rank.  That way people can get up to high rank fairly quickly.  High rank is Hub rank 4 up to 999.

I am currently HR 4 is Hub quests so I am just into high rank.  I wouldn't mind hosting low rank quests for those that want that option.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »
I'm HR 5 or 6. (That stands for Hunter Rank, not High Rank. Someone wise told me that.)

But I'm game for any kind of hunts with folks.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 10:17:24 PM »
I think I will set up a room.   

Pass code is 4578 and Lobby ID is W25BKV

My username on Rise is Elipsia
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 10:34:27 PM »
Nevermind got an invite from a friend.

I think the weekend would be a good time to have set NWR hunts and I am wondering when would be a good time for folks?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 04:44:25 AM »
Okay so yeah I am making it official. Saturdays at 5:00 pm PST is when we can start doing hunts.  I was thinking for the second day some time in the week. Maybe Tuesday or Thursday. What time works for folks?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
That time on Saturday works! My schedule varies during the week, so I can't commit to a time then, but I try to be in the Discord at least. If you see me there, just shout at me and I'll try to get online for a hunt (or several).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »
That time on Saturday works! My schedule varies during the week, so I can't commit to a time then, but I try to be in the Discord at least. If you see me there, just shout at me and I'll try to get online for a hunt (or several).

Well the way we typically did it back in the Tri days was we would have a set start time but go for several hours so people can jump in and out of hunts.

So Saturday at 5pm PST will work.

I will open up a room then and post here and in the NWR multiplayer discord chat the pass code.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:17 AM »
Saw this in the past week and I think with the new update there are going to be lots of armor and weapon making which cost zenny. So here is a video on how to make 300k zenny is 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfdFSsQJWk

Here is a video if you are just starting off and want to rake in zenny and points without much stress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM3hq6uSrFU
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:15 PM »
I made a room and here is the Lobby ID WNBV4B and the passcode is 3456.  Please NWR only while we are just starting off.

I can play for a few hours from this posts timestamp.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »
Once again it is Saturday and I will be playing again today with folks here. 
Hunt time will be around 5pm PST.   Hope to hunt with folks here later today.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
I am really sorry everyone about the hunts the other day but I napped too much that day and ran past the start time.  I will try to make it up next time.

With that being said I am now HR 51.  I played with some randoms and I fought the newer 2.0 update monsters.  So I think I want to start working on some endgame armor and weapons.  I am working on a gun lance set right now.   I almost fully upgraded the Gun Lance. I need a Rathian Ruby and some zenny for it.   

The armor set I have two pieces already in the Sinister Gauntlets S and Bazelgeuse coil.  I need the Kushala Glare, Almudron Mail and Bazelguese Greaves.   Skills it will have is Handicraft +5 Razor Sharp +3, Guard+3, Artilary +3, Load Shells +2, Evade Extender +2, Flinch Free +2, Hellfire Cloak+1.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
Watching the NBA Hall of Fame but there will be some hunts today in about 3 hours or so. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
About 15 minutes I will post the room info here.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
3456 and Lobby ID is US3T6J is the room info.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 01:51:15 PM »
I got to High rank. Hoping I can find some time where I can confidently join you all online for some hunts. I think the Rampages would be a blast to play as a group.
My Game Collection

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »
Version 3.0 news on May 26th! The True Ending is coming!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2021, 06:58:05 PM »
Version 3.0 news on May 26th! The True Ending is coming!
That is exciting. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
The true end to the Gathering Hub quests is a fun fight and the last cutscene is cute.

Valstrax is super neat. I didn't play enough of MonHun Generations to hunt them, so it was exciting.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 01:28:12 AM »
Sorry for abandoning this thread and the group hunts but in the scheduled time I was busy with some things.

With that being said I beat the 3.0 update boss a few times tonight and made its full armor.  I think I am going to use this armor to work on some more weapons that go with the full armor. 

Alexis, she/her/Miss