Author Topic: British Cuisine Question  (Read 1909 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
British Cuisine Question
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
I have a question for the Queen's subjects or anyone else who might know the answer.

Here in the US we have Italian food, but it is often Italian-American. Not quite the same as food from Italy. Not worse necessarily, just different. More meat, more sauce, a lot more red sauce than a lot of Italian region's food.

Same with Chinese, What we usually have is Chinese-American, more meat, sweeter, sometimes not as spicy.

In the UK, a popular cuisine is Indian food. Is it straight up Indian food, the same you would get in New Delhi or Mumbai, or does it have it's own regional twist on it? Is it British-Indian?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: British Cuisine Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
British Indian.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
What makes it different from Indian Indian?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
What makes it different from Indian Indian?

Colonization of the restaurant?  Oppression of the shop holders by the East India Company?  Big waxed moustaches?

Seriously though I imagine its probably less spicy to cater to non-Indian tastes and some of the spices might be harder or more expensive to buy in England.  That generally happens when countries or areas known for spicy food bring it somewhere else.

To expand on your Chinese food example food brought to other countries tends to be from one area.  Chinese food in America generally is from only a few regions and doesn't represent the actualy variety of food in the country.  That set of food tends to be what people think of as Chinese food and what they expect at a restaurant so more places make it.  Indian food is the same way in that the variety of food brought to other countries doesn't truly represent the different kinds of food in the country.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:43:59 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:13 AM »
On Mexican food in Arizona. I live in the southwest, and we eat either Sonoran, chihuahua(stfu),or tex mex. When I lived in Yuma I had awesome Sonoran food, in Tucson that was lacking, but there was good Chihuahuan Mariscos food, near phoenix you have some sort of food....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:16 AM »
Southern California has more Baja Mexican inspired food, right? Limes and fish tacos?

I hear there is New Mexican cuisine from New Mexico too.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
mm fish tacos
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
I haven't had Indian food from India, but I have had Indian food from Britain. It's one of the few types of restaurants there that actually use spices. I don't know what it is with the Brits, but they like to season after they cook the food, not before. So a steak will taste terrible if you try it before salting and peppering it. Fish and chips, their staple, will be awful with out a lemon wedge, salt and katchup. The only thing they get right is booze and most of that **** is imported from Ireland.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
oh yeah in new mexico you can't go anywhere and not have a chili pepper put in the food, my brother lived in Albuquerque for a while and he got fed up because he went to burger king and they shoved a chili pepper n his whopper, and he was trying to go to the one place they wouldnt shove a chili in his food. 

As far as Baja stuff go, i have a hard time telling the difference between it and regular mariscos. Places labeled as Baja style stuff were good though. Favorite Mariscos Entree, Tacos de Pulpa, or Octopus Tacos, or as my brother and I like to call them Tako Tacos.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post