Author Topic: Wii U the next Dreamcast?  (Read 15286 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U the next Dreamcast?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
One of the rumors BnM posted was that production will begin in October.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
The next Dreamcast? If only!

The Dreamcast was far ahead of its time in respects to hardware and physical design if nothing else. It is still easily the best console ever produced, and has one of the most thoroughly enjoyable libraries to ever grace a living room television. On the other hand, the Wii U looks to be a sad gimmick thus far.

The Dreamcast failed for three (unfair) reasons: Lack of customer confidence in Sega after the fumbled Saturn lifespan. Hostile developers, like EA, outright refusing to support and compete on the platform. Sony FUD about the upcoming PS2.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Lack of customer confidence in Sega after the fumbled Saturn lifespan.

I wouldn't consider that one unfair, because it is one that Sega brought on themselves with that whole 32X/Saturn fiasco. I think Sega learned their lesson and tried to right with the Dreamcast, but you can't blame consumers for lacking confidence after what happened just one generation prior.
is your sanity...

Offline MorbidGod

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
The next Dreamcast? If only!

The Dreamcast was far ahead of its time in respects to hardware and physical design if nothing else. It is still easily the best console ever produced, and has one of the most thoroughly enjoyable libraries to ever grace a living room television. On the other hand, the Wii U looks to be a sad gimmick thus far.

The Dreamcast failed for three (unfair) reasons: Lack of customer confidence in Sega after the fumbled Saturn lifespan. Hostile developers, like EA, outright refusing to support and compete on the platform. Sony FUD about the upcoming PS2.

I remember when people called the Wii a gimmick. It has now sold over 70 million and inspired Sony to make PS3 Move, and probably why MS made (or rather bought the technology) Kinect. That is a pretty successful gimmick. And now again, they release a new controller and people call it a gimmick. (or some). It's far more then just another gimmick, and has more use then the Wiimotes because whereas some games don't work well with a Wiimote, all games can use the U-Controller. Even if it's just for your items and you use the buttons alone, it's still can be used.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Wii has sold over 80million BTW and will likely cross the 90million mark before the year is over.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »
I wanted the Wii to beat the PS2, but without software support I don't see how that's going to happen.
is your sanity...

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Wii has sold over 80million BTW and will likely cross the 90million mark before the year is over.

It's quite possible, but I'd rather be lower then too high. And @ Chozo Ghost, if you include how many GCN's have sold it would be 50 million shy. SO who knows what will happen next year. (considering Wii and GCN is the same specs inside, you could count them together).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
That's not true. The Wii is 2 Gamecubes duct taped together. /old joke

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
So if you take the number of Wii sold (~84million) and multiply them times 2 (ripping off the duct tape) then add the number of stand alone GC's sold (~22 million) you have the total number of Gamecubes sold LTD

(84x2)+22= 190million Gamecubes have been sold LTD.

Let's see the PS2 beat that.
trollface.jpg

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
That's not true. The Wii is 2 Gamecubes duct taped together. /old joke

HA. Priceless.  :cool;

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
So if you take the number of Wii sold (~84million) and multiply them times 2 (ripping off the duct tape) then add the number of stand alone GC's sold (~22 million) you have the total number of Gamecubes sold LTD

(84x2)+22= 190million Gamecubes have been sold LTD.

Let's see the PS2 beat that.
trollface.jpg

What if you included the PS3 units which came with a PS2 chip?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 05:07:46 PM »
PS2's sold ~145million & PS3 w/ PS2 BC = ~5-7million?

Let's be super duper generous and say it's ~25million PS3'S w/ BC

145 + 25 = 170million PS2's

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
I remember when people called the Wii a gimmick. It has now sold over 70 million and inspired Sony to make PS3 Move, and probably why MS made (or rather bought the technology) Kinect. That is a pretty successful gimmick. And now again, they release a new controller and people call it a gimmick. (or some). It's far more then just another gimmick, and has more use then the Wiimotes because whereas some games don't work well with a Wiimote, all games can use the U-Controller. Even if it's just for your items and you use the buttons alone, it's still can be used.

I remember when the Wii was being called a gimmick as well. I recall dismissing those claims because a handful of games at the time made great use of the motion controls. Over time however, those fears have been confirmed. The Wii's motion controls (and the newly minted motion controls for the 360 and PS3) are a gimmick, and not a very good one at that. I can count on my fingers the number of worthwhile games that absolutely require the use of the motion controls to be a viable experience. On the other hand, I can think of dozens of games that I preferred to plug my Wavebird into instead (Smash Bros and Mario Kart being the big ones) or that outright suffered from shoehorned waggle crap.

Were there fun games? Absolutely. Did the fun of some of those games depend entirely upon well done motion controls? Yep. That doesn't mean that an entire system should have been built around it though. If the 360 and the PS3 have done anything correctly with their late entries into the motion-market, it's that they keep it as an optional toy and don't force feed it down their customers' throats at the expense of time-tested, working alternatives.

The Wii-U will fail to impress in the exact same manner. It'll be awesome for some games (just like GBA-to-NGC connectivity was, just like the Dreamcast's VMUs were), but it won't bring enough value to the majority of games to really justify its existence. And with the way those controllers look, I have a really hard time believing that they'll be useful for much else than a hand cramp.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
hey you only need to count 1 finger of worthwhilness

i think that the controls are not a gimmick, but were used like one. I think they were vastly underutilized.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
I can only hope that the Wii U has as many good games as the Dreamcast did

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
if anything the wii shoulda been a dreamcast. It was not as powerful, had less and did less but some how it excelled!

wii u should be a ps2 like someone else said! It will excel and be a game console sought after by many for both family gamers and hardcore. I am excited

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 03:32:10 AM »
hmmmm, Dreamcast was great system that was destroyed in my opinion by rampant piracy. IDK it depends on how easy it is for WiiU to hack, and Nintendo has a good track record of being harder to hack.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
wii is easy to hack, its all about finding the common key, once you have it, it is just bam bam bam easy. They found the dsi one but i guess nintnedo has made things more difficult this time.

3ds is basically impossible if you want all the updates and the fun because wireless has to be on.

guessing wii u will have this, or have something very similar.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
I think one of the rumored spec sheets blscknmild posted had listed a 4 core but most rumors state a 3.  I guess we might not know till before or at release when someone takes one apart.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
actually Wii u is probably going to be hard as hell to hack....so if the games are 20gb they wont fit on dvds, and they're not blue rays so...people need and hd-dvd burner? Which is virtually non existant nowadays?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
I would be shocked if the discs Nintendo's using aren't the Bluray equivalent of the discs they used on Wii, which were, for all intents and purposes, DVDs.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:24 AM »
Ripping games could be done on the UuuuWiii itself, since usb HDD's are allowed. That's how it's done on the PS3.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »
well you would have to put linux on wii u and then from there yeah just copy ****

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
I think one of the rumored spec sheets blscknmild posted had listed a 4 core but most rumors state a 3.  I guess we might not know till before or at release when someone takes one apart.

The IBM Watson CPU, which is the cpu Nintendo is using, is only made in 4, 6 and 8 variants. Which means IBM can create a special line just for Nintendo, or go the cheaper route and use the existing lines when making Nintendo processors.I think Nintendo would rather save money wouldn't you?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
IDK it depends on how easy it is for WiiU to hack, and Nintendo has a good track record of being harder to hack.

Uh, no? The Wii is probably one of the easiest to consoles to hack of all time. Softmodding can be done by a child to enable rewritable disc or USB support. Furthermore, the even more foolproof modchips don't even require soldering on the Wii!

Nintendo has a track record of "security" because no one cared enough about the GameCube to put forth any serious effort. Everything before that was cartridge based, which was too expensive to reliably duplicate at the time. Of course nowadays, flash memory is a cheap and easy alternative to even that.

If Nintendo uses some sort of proprietary disc, hackers will just use USB loaders instead. Most backup utilities are already heading that way. It's far easier to have a small external harddrive full of ISOs than it is to keep a binder full of backed up discs.